RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having checked, the first tie-breaker is record in the immediately preceding season (i.e. for the upcoming draft, record in this season would be the tie-breaker). So given that Indiana would have to finish a game ahead of New York this season to create the tie, New York get the better odds if they're level on the two-year cumulative basis. Sorry, PUmatty.

PostPosted: 08/14/19 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t remember where I read it, it was a while ago but someone mentioned that one of the reasons Sabrina Ionescu decided to go back to school was because she wanted to qualify for the Olympics 3x3. If that is the case and she does qualify or still trying to qualify (not sure of the qualifying schedule for 3x3 in 2020), could that affect her draft status, would skipping the WNBA season be a possibility if she needs to miss time to qualify or prepare for the Olympics?

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/14/19 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the regular Team USA can work around the Olympics, I don't see why 3x3 can't do the same. As far as I know, only college players have been used so far. The competition doesn't look that tough. Ionescu just won gold at the Pan Am games with Hebard, ONO, and Christyn Williams. Williams was also on the World Cup team with Alarie, Aleah Goodman, and Charli Collier. They lost in the quarterfinals. So, given Sabrina's track record, reputation, and name recognition, I'd say she is in a favorable position to make the team.

PostPosted: 08/14/19 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I don’t remember where I read it, it was a while ago but someone mentioned that one of the reasons Sabrina Ionescu decided to go back to school was because she wanted to qualify for the Olympics 3x3.

It’s all speculation.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/14/19 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
I don’t remember where I read it, it was a while ago but someone mentioned that one of the reasons Sabrina Ionescu decided to go back to school was because she wanted to qualify for the Olympics 3x3.

It’s all speculation.

Well, except for Sabrina saying it.

PostPosted: 08/14/19 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think Cox has a higher floor and lower ceiling than Ionescu -- though Cox's ceiling could be awfully high. She's a made-to-order professional power forward ...

Sabrina has weaknesses that may be exploitable at the next level. But she may also have strengths that more than offset those weaknesses.

agree. Io's main issue will be speed IMO. I'm not all that excited about the 2020 draft. I don't see a single one that stands out as an immediate starter. It just doesn't look all that deep.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/14/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If the regular Team USA can work around the Olympics, I don't see why 3x3 can't do the same. As far as I know, only college players have been used so far. The competition doesn't look that tough. Ionescu just won gold at the Pan Am games with Hebard, ONO, and Christyn Williams. Williams was also on the World Cup team with Alarie, Aleah Goodman, and Charli Collier. They lost in the quarterfinals. So, given Sabrina's track record, reputation, and name recognition, I'd say she is in a favorable position to make the team.

It does puzzle me why USA Basketball hasn't gone after pro players for the 3x3 team. Even former WNBA players not currently on rosters are probably better than college kids. When it comes to the Olympics, it's all about the medal count. A 3x3 medal is worth the same as a team medal. If I'm USA Basketball, I'd go after all the players who aren't likely to be on the regular team. 3x3 really means a lot more one-on-one. So for instance, wouldn't Diamond DeShields be hard to stop in a 3x3 game? Brittney Sykes? How many foreign defenders left off their 5x5 team are able to match up against McCowan down low? I'm assuming there should be a way to work around the WNBA schedule. Besides, if the action is primarily one-on-one, how much team chemistry do you need?

Sorry, I guess this is a little off-topic but it's relevant to the original question about Ionescu.

PostPosted: 08/14/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Cox watching the Wings game.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of 8/19/19
WAS 42-19
SEA 41-21
CON 40-21
LAS 34-25
PHX 33-27
LVA 32-29
MIN 31-30
CHI 28-32
ATL 28-32 | 8 games remaining. Current 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
DAL 24-37 | 7 games remaining. Current 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
NYL 15-45 | 8 games remaining.
IND 15-45 | 8 games remaining.

Current lottery team

Current 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
Current 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

I’m not gonna worry about who has the best odds now that it’s tied, since it is unlikely to be tied at the end of the season.

I’m not at all convinced that this would go to a tiebreaker situation. I thought I remember circumstances where the odds were combined and split, in which case a tie for the #1 pick would work out to be about 35.9% each.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/19 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WVU women’s basketball star Martin charged with domestic battery
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/22/wvu-womens-basketball-star-martin-charged-with-domestic-battery/

Quote:
A West Virginia women’s basketball player who was suspended for a violation of team rules on Aug. 3 is charged with domestic battery.

Tynice Martin, 22, of Morgantown, is charged with domestic battery by the Morgantown Police Department.

Quote:
Court records also show Martin received a citation for possession of a controlled substance on December 29, 2018, which was 11 games into the Mountaineers’ season.

Martin, the Mountaineers’ top scorer, was not suspended, but was held out of that day’s game against Niagara as a “precautionary measure,” according to the school’s postgame notes.

Martin then played and started in the final 22 games to end last season.

Quote:
The investigation showed Martin arrived at her ex-girlfriend’s house, entered the residence, and pulled the victim’s hair, according to the complaint.

The Dominion Post does not typically identify victims of alleged domestic crimes.

Martin and another woman, identified as Alexandria, then allegedly pushed the victim against a storm door, where she was choked, beaten and shoved.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/19 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of 8/26/19
WAS 44-20
CON 41-22
SEA 41-22
LAS 37-25
PHX 33-29
LVA 33-31
MIN 33-31
CHI 31-32
ATL 30-33 | 5 games remaining. Current 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
DAL 24-39 | 5 games remaining. Current 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
NYL 16-47 | 5 games remaining. Current 35.9% chance at #1; 31.3% chance at #2
IND 16-47 | 5 games remaining. Current 35.9% chance at #1; 31.3% chance at #2

Current lottery team

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/26/19 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be interesting if #5 - #12 were also determined by two year record.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/26/19 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WVU women’s basketball star Martin charged with domestic battery
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/22/wvu-womens-basketball-star-martin-charged-with-domestic-battery/

Stormeo wrote:
G/F Tynice Martin, West Virginia, 5’11 – BPA. I kind of see her as a taller Riquna Williams with her skillset, explosiveness, and physicality.

Boy, my take on Martin did NOT age well, did it. Embarassed

Shades

PostPosted: 08/30/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of end of 8/31/19
WAS 45-20
CON 43-22
SEA 41-23
LAS 38-27
PHX 35-29
MIN 34-31
LVA 34-32
CHI 31-34
—————
ATL 30-34 | 4 games remaining. Locked in at 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
DAL 25-40 | 3 games remaining. Locked in at 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
IND 17-48 | 3 games remaining. Current 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
NYL 16-49 | 3 games remaining. Current 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

Current lottery team

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/01/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Two-year record tallies as of end of 8/31/19
WAS 45-20
CON 43-22
SEA 41-23
LAS 38-27
PHX 35-29
MIN 34-31
LVA 34-32
CHI 31-34
—————
ATL 30-34 | 4 games remaining. Locked in at 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
DAL 25-40 | 3 games remaining. Locked in at 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
IND 17-48 | 3 games remaining. Current 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
NYL 16-49 | 3 games remaining. Current 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

Current lottery team

Does anyone know how tie-breakers work in the two-year record? Right now, Indiana one game ahead of NY for the two-year, so it isn't inconceivable that they could finish with the same two-year record.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Does anyone know how tie-breakers work in the two-year record? Right now, Indiana one game ahead of NY for the two-year, so it isn't inconceivable that they could finish with the same two-year record.

Unless they’ve recently changed how they handle this, there are no tiebreakers for lottery odds. In the event of a tie, the odds are combined and split, as I have illustrated a few posts back.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Unless they’ve recently changed how they handle this, there are no tiebreakers for lottery odds. In the event of a tie, the odds are combined and split, as I have illustrated a few posts back.

You said you didn't actually know. I am asking if anyone actually does know.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Since they split the odds for the 2017 Draft for Dallas and LA (from Connecticut), I'm going to assume the only time a tiebreaker would be used would be if they odds can't be split evenly, which would only happen with the current combinations in a 3-way tie for worst record, then a tiebreaker be used to determine which teams gets the extra PP?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I never said I didn’t know. I conveyed doubt that there was tiebreaker system for the lottery, like somebody was stating at the top of this page, because I recall the odds being shared in previous such situations. That’s why I showed the odds as being shared.

This makes sense to me. If you have two teams equally inept the past two seasons, why have the lottery odds decided by an obscure meaningless tiebreaker? Sharing the odds is fair.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/03/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://dailyorange.com/2019/08/tiana-mangakahia-miss-next-season-amid-battle-breast-cancer/

ICYMI, Mangakahia’s sitting out 2019-2020 to focus on fighting her breast cancer with the intention of playing her senior season in 2020-2021.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 09/03/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I never said I didn’t know. I conveyed doubt that there was tiebreaker system for the lottery, like somebody was stating at the top of this page, because I recall the odds being shared in previous such situations. That’s why I showed the odds as being shared.

This makes sense to me. If you have two teams equally inept the past two seasons, why have the lottery odds decided by an obscure meaningless tiebreaker? Sharing the odds is fair.

Yea I don’t think there’s a tiebreaker. Both teams get the same amount of ping pong balls 🤷🏿‍♂️

PostPosted: 09/04/19 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of end of 9/03/19
WAS 46-20
CON 43-22
SEA 43-23
LAS 39-27
PHX 35-31
MIN 35-31
LVA 34-32
CHI 32-34
—————
ATL 30-36 | 2 games remaining. Locked in at 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
IND 17-49 | 2 games remaining. Current 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
NYL 16-50 | 2 games remaining. Current 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

Current lottery team

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/04/19 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And on Friday NY plays Indy

A NY loss secures the #1 odds A NY victory leads to a tie with one game left for each team NY vs Atl who has nothing to gain from a loss or a victory but are certainly beatable but if NY beats Indy they have to lose to Atl to stay tied if Indy loses it's last game, two victories in a row is literally the worst thing that could happen to NY. Indy plays Conn on Sunday which might still be fighting for the double by, so NY has to lose to Indy on Friday if they want sole possession of the best odds regardless of the outcome of Sunday's games. It will be fascinating to watch a game where both teams are better off if they lose.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/04/19 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
And on Friday NY plays Indy

A NY loss secures the #1 odds A NY victory leads to a tie with one game left for each team NY vs Atl who has nothing to gain from a loss or a victory but are certainly beatable but if NY beats Indy they have to lose to Atl to stay tied if Indy loses it's last game, two victories in a row is literally the worst thing that could happen to NY. Indy plays Conn on Sunday which might still be fighting for the double by, so NY has to lose to Indy on Friday if they want sole possession of the best odds regardless of the outcome of Sunday's games. It will be fascinating to watch a game where both teams are better off if they lose.

...after 6 overtimes, the Liberty and Fever are still deadlocked in a 0-0 tie, but what a game! Natalie Achonwa has a WNBA record 27 steals, and who knows how many more she'll get? Overall, the Liberty have turned it over 74 times, leading to a total of zero Indiana points! In a defensive showcase such as this, you'd expect plenty of blocked shots too, but the defense has been so smothering that neither offense has even attempted a shot! They'll be watching this one on WNBA Classic TV for years to come!

Shades

PostPosted: 09/06/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of end of 9/06/19
ATL 31-36 | 1 game remaining. Locked in at 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
DAL 25-42 | 1 game remaining. Locked in at 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
IND 18-49 | 1 game remaining. Locked in at 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
NYL 16-51 | 1 game remaining. Locked in at 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

Current lottery team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 6 of 59

Jump to: