TAJ

PostPosted: 08/01/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing story

PostPosted: 08/01/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Teaira McCowan is just scratching the surface of her potential
https://fansided.com/2019/08/01/teaira-mccowan-indiana-fever-interior-defense/

Quote:
Her block percentage is already top-10 all-time among rookies who played at least 400 minutes, and her steal percentage is in the top-40 all-time among rookie centers.

In addition, her work on the glass has been extraordinary. Not only is her total rebound percentage the best rookie mark in WNBA history, but it’s also the best single-season mark for any player of any experience level to have played at least 400 minutes. And it’s not just defensive rebounding driving that. She’s been exceptional on the offensive glass and leads the league in second-chance points per 100 possessions by a wide margin.

I do agree with you, Shades, it is truly baffling how McCowan isn't yet starting or even getting at least 24-28 MPG. She hasn't had more than three fouls each of the past six games, which to me shows improvement within her most glaring weakness. She had just one foul in her ~20 minutes yesterday to go with her second double-double in the past three games. Achonwa's good at the few things she does well, but she could be doing that from the bench - I don't see a title contender having Achonwa as its starting C, and it would be a grave mistake to keep her as such in the long-term. Indiana won, but only by 2 at home to one of the two worst teams in the league, so I don't see any hot streak coming; this is still clearly a rebuilding year. Chatman benched K. Mitchell yesterday, showing she's not afraid to shake up her starters; and McCowan WILL be starting in this league at some point, so why not now? What is Chatman waiting for - her job to be taken away?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/02/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting, as the two best players for Indiana, by PER, are Achonwa and McCowan, and it's really not feasible to play them both at the same time. (Achonwa's ranking is slightly higher, for whatever that's worth ...)

Achonwa will turn 27 soon, McCowan 23, so from that perspective, playing McCowan more makes sense, but given Indiana's dismal roster, the best move would clearly be to trade Achonwa and get some help at wing and forward.

So who needs Achonwa? And what could be gotten in return? (Draft choices need not apply -- unless you get a top two pick, and there's no way to know, it's not worth it.)

PostPosted: 08/02/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's interesting, as the two best players for Indiana, by PER, are Achonwa and McCowan, and it's really not feasible to play them both at the same time.

It absolutely bloody is. In fact, if you wanna really jump into the stats, there are only two two-person groupings that have played over 100 minutes together for Indiana this season and have a net rating over 2.5: Wheeler/McCowan and Achonwa/McCowan (both of which have a net rating over 5). Stats here, if WNBA.com's linking works: https://on.nba.com/3324DiV

Meanwhile, Dupree/Achonwa and Dupree/McCowan are -5.8 and -6.1 respectively. And by the way, I have to lower my minutes threshold to 50 to find Wheeler/Achonwa/McCowan on the three-player list, because that group's only played 52 minutes together all freaking season.

I don't see why Achonwa can't play the 4, at either end of the floor. All it really takes is getting Dupree the hell out of the way.

PostPosted: 08/02/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
it's really not feasible to play them both at the same time.

It’s been happening and it totally looks feasible.

ClayK wrote:
Achonwa will turn 27 soon, McCowan 23, so from that perspective, playing McCowan more makes sense

Not sure of the reasoning here. You’d expect to win more with a 27-year old. My rationale is they aren’t way better with Achonwa starting, so you might as well give heavy minutes to McCowan at center since it’s the only position she can play. Achonwa can still get plenty of minutes backing up both post positions.

ClayK wrote:
Indiana's dismal roster, the best move would clearly be to trade Achonwa and get some help at wing and forward.

There’s nothing wrong with having some quality depth at post. Are they supposed to rely on Mavunga and McCall as backups? This is the weakest part of their team depth.

ClayK wrote:
So who needs Achonwa?

Indiana.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/02/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It's interesting, as the two best players for Indiana, by PER, are Achonwa and McCowan, and it's really not feasible to play them both at the same time.

It absolutely bloody is. In fact, if you wanna really jump into the stats, there are only two two-person groupings that have played over 100 minutes together for Indiana this season and have a net rating over 2.5: Wheeler/McCowan and Achonwa/McCowan (both of which have a net rating over 5). Stats here, if WNBA.com's linking works: https://on.nba.com/3324DiV

Meanwhile, Dupree/Achonwa and Dupree/McCowan are -5.8 and -6.1 respectively. And by the way, I have to lower my minutes threshold to 50 to find Wheeler/Achonwa/McCowan on the three-player list, because that group's only played 52 minutes together all freaking season.

I don't see why Achonwa can't play the 4, at either end of the floor. All it really takes is getting Dupree the hell out of the way.

Good point ... though Dupree is the fourth best player on the team, by PER. It would make sense for one of the trio to go, and no one would be interested in Dupree at this point.

But to your point, the long-term answer is McCowan and Achonwa together -- and the reluctance to do so is another reason Pokey doesn't really belong as a head coach. Given her past, and her record, it's amazing she's still employed.

But having two quality players at one position and below-average players at three others doesn't make much sense.

PostPosted: 08/02/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

ClayK wrote:
But to your point, the long-term answer is McCowan and Achonwa together -- and the reluctance to do so is another reason Pokey doesn't really belong as a head coach.

That was a quick 180.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/02/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Maya does not return next season, I can see Dupree getting traded to Minnesota.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/02/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

ClayK wrote:
But to your point, the long-term answer is McCowan and Achonwa together -- and the reluctance to do so is another reason Pokey doesn't really belong as a head coach.

That was a quick 180.

Seeing that between those two comments Richyyy made an excellent argument on the subject why should that be surprising?

Intelligent people change their positions when new facts or new angles they hadn't considered are brought to light.

PostPosted: 08/02/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If Maya does not return next season, I can see Dupree getting traded to Minnesota.

They just drafted their 4 (and gave Dantas an expensive multi-year deal as well). Why on Earth would they trade for a 35 year-old who's worse and plays no defense?

PostPosted: 08/05/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

One thing we can guarantee is any more rumors of Dupree and Bonner wanting to play on the same team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/05/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

This is my take on things as well. Dupree is cutting into the minutes of both of Achonwa and McCowan when I think it should be the other way around. The Fever should probably trade Dupree or Achonwa.

With the bigger centers becoming more prevalent, Achonwa is probably a better power forward than center. She has all the tools needed, and as has been pointed out, she has been successful with McCowan when they're on the floor together.

What's up with Wheeler? Why was she on the bench for the entire second half?

miller40

PostPosted: 08/14/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johnson out for rest of season. Knee surgery.

https://fever.wnba.com/news/shenise-johnson-torn-acl/

zune69

PostPosted: 08/14/19 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing Johnson to a 3 year deal at near max money coming off an injury wasn't the smartest move. Indy should have offered Johnson a 1 year deal with a team option for a 2nd season. Johnson still has one more year remaining on her contract. Indiana better not do something stupid like sign Johnson to another 3 year deal without seeing her perform at a high level.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/14/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link wasn’t working for me, here’s another: https://fever.wnba.com/news/shenise-johnson-injury/

According to this, she didn’t re-tear her ACL, which is the good news - just looks like meniscus work and/or cleaning her knee up. Hopefully she comes back next season 100% or close to it.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/14/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

They just drafted their 4 (and gave Dantas an expensive multi-year deal as well). Why on Earth would they trade for a 35 year-old who's worse and plays no defense?

Dupree has lost a step or two, but she's still a high IQ efficient offensive player who can knock down a mid-range jump shot. CD would be a very good secondary post player with Fowles or primary post player when Fowles is on the bench. As for Dupree's defense. I think you can live with CD's subpar defense playing alongside a defensive stalwart like Fowles. Now mind you, Dupree doesn't have to start. She could come off the bench and be the primary post option for the 2nd unit. Reeve has a history of acquiring experienced veterans and bringing them of the bench. It's just a matter of Minnesota having cap space to absorb Dupree's contract.

As for Dantas, she skipped the 2016 season. So I don't expect her to show up in 2020....Of course, I could be wrong.

BTW: Sorry for taking 2 weeks to respond.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/14/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Johnson hopefully returns next season and is then probably done. Can't see anyone overpaying her with her past injuries.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/22/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Victoria Vivians is watching and learning as she recovers from her first major injury
Keith Geswein (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2019/08/22/victoria-vivians-recovery-wnba-major-injury-indiana-fever/

miller40

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I asked a ticket rep about where the Fever will play next season and they have received zero word so far. I just hope it's still in Indianapolis.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should try a game or two in South Bend next year and see how that draws. After all, the team's name is the Indiana Fever Wink

miller40

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
They should try a game or two in South Bend next year and see how that draws. After all, the team's name is the Indiana Fever Wink

It would be cool to have a Fever vs Sky game in South Bend.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I asked a ticket rep about where the Fever will play next season and they have received zero word so far. I just hope it's still in Indianapolis.

Should be at Hinkle Fieldhouse. There's really no other options unless they go outside of Indianapolis.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Should be at Hinkle Fieldhouse. There's really no other options unless they go outside of Indianapolis.

If they were to move outside the Indianapolis metropolitan area, they’d likely lose a lot of the regular season ticket holders, so definitely not worth it.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/22/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Or the fairgrounds. They’ve played preseason there when the Fieldhouse is unavailable. They’ve never played at Hinkle, as far as I know.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or they could be at the Chase Center in downtown SF ...

I know, I know, I keep singing the same song even though the melody is very faint ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: