RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WATN: Iciss Tillis, Attorney at Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/29/17 3:10 pm    ::: WATN: Iciss Tillis, Attorney at Law Reply Reply with quote

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/okpreps/then-now-former-casica-hall-hoops-star-iciss-tillis-now/article_02e1269b-b76f-5d40-a70d-edac531b0527.html

Quote:
While matriculating through school, Tillis — a former hoops star — worked hard to keep that part of her life a secret to strangers because of the sour taste the game had left in her mouth at the end of her professional career.

She had enough of the contract negotiations, dealing with agents, and franchises that did not have her best interest at heart.

"I went through this bitterness period. I wanted to walk away from the game and never look back," said Tillis. "I hoped nobody ever remembered who Iciss Tillis was. I didn't tell anyone in law school that I was a basketball player until people figured it out eventually."

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/29/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...Tillis wasn't a superstar but I didn't think we treated her that badly...hope she reconciles with her past...she was a nice person as I remember from her time as a Lib

PostPosted: 07/29/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Wow...Tillis wasn't a superstar but I didn't think we treated her that badly...hope she reconciles with her past...she was a nice person as I remember from her time as a Lib

No we did not treat her badly...as I remember she would always be on the phone, I started to think it was her way of not having to interact with the fans

auntie

PostPosted: 07/29/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume that she was named after the Egyptian god Icis and I am glad she spells her name the way she does. I just hope that she is not harassed because of it.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not quite understand...what exactly did Iciss not like about basketball? Is it the business aspect of it?

What struck me was this paragraph:

Quote:
“I never cared about the fame because I know who I am,” Tillis said. “I walked away from the game with a bitter taste in my mouth, but I hope to make a difference in women’s basketball. I want this new generation to not have to feel that way.”

I haven't followed her career that much, but I'm curious about the source of "that bitter taste" to her.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread reminds me: which former WNBA players have law degrees? Besides Iciss Tillis, there is Sonja Henning and Jamila Wideman. And if I recall correctly, DeMya Walker (now DeMya Wheatfall) was taking law courses at Rice University.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
This thread reminds me: which former WNBA players have law degrees? Besides Iciss Tillis, there is Sonja Henning and Jamila Wideman. And if I recall correctly, DeMya Walker (now DeMya Wheatfall) was taking law courses at Rice University.

Coquese Washington.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

Camille Cooper has a law degree from Duke.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/30/17 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
And if I recall correctly, DeMya Walker (now DeMya Wheatfall) was taking law courses at Rice University.

Rice, like many universities, may have individual law courses in its undergraduate and business schools, but it doesn't have a law school.

I liked Tillis at Duke and thought she seemed a good prospect for broadcasting, being visually striking and having a very mellifluous voice.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/21/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Quote:
Tillis always knew she wanted to be a litigator and worked toward it during her playing days. And now she's an associate with Jackson Lewis.

https://biglawbusiness.com/after-final-fours-and-wnba-tillis-now-living-dream-as-litigator

PostPosted: 08/21/19 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I do not quite understand...what exactly did Iciss not like about basketball? Is it the business aspect of it?

What struck me was this paragraph:

Quote:
“I never cared about the fame because I know who I am,” Tillis said. “I walked away from the game with a bitter taste in my mouth, but I hope to make a difference in women’s basketball. I want this new generation to not have to feel that way.”

I haven't followed her career that much, but I'm curious about the source of "that bitter taste" to her.

According to her Wikipedia page she was involved in an issue with a team in France and was forced to be sold to another team. Don’t know any information beyond that, but I could definitely see a situation like that souring a person on the pro basketball/overseas life.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/21/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has a right to her view of her own WNBA experience as the fans have a right to their experience of her (which was rarely positive).

With that said, I'm proud of her for achieving her goal of becoming a lawyer.

PostPosted: 08/21/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.jacksonlewis.com/people/iciss-rose-tillis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: