Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/13/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Katie Smith says she wants Johannes to be more aggressive. Would probably be easier to do if she touched the ball more. Charmin Smith said the same about Durr. Smh.

Smith's comment is just ridiculous.

It feels like she says stuff that makes no sense way too often.

PostPosted: 08/13/19 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Katie Smith says she wants Johannes to be more aggressive. Would probably be easier to do if she touched the ball more. Charmin Smith said the same about Durr. Smh.

Smith's comment is just ridiculous.

It feels like she says stuff that makes no sense way too often.

Johannes should start then while Durr is out.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/13/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannes touched the ball twice in her time. Yes I’m counting. Two times on the same possession. One of those as the shot clock was expiring.

PostPosted: 08/13/19 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, tonight was a new low for Katie Smith. I know she's not going to get fired with 10 games to go, but it would be well deserved.

The team has being doing terribly in the 3rd quarters of games. This is no secret. With New York well behind in the 2nd quarter, Rebecca Allen went on a remarkable tear. A player whose WNBA career high was 21 points scored TWENTY in the 2nd quarter. Then she had the halftime break to rest.

Then she sat on the bench as the 3rd quarter began. Why, Katie? Because our recent starting lineup has been doing so wonderfully? Was it important to have the player with the hot hand sit? Would it have been so wrong to start Wright OR Hartley, Nurse, Allen, Gray, and Charles?

So it was better to wait on bringing in Allen till the Lynx had built up another solid lead?

Awful, Katie. Just awful.

P.S. When Allen or Durr or Johannes is hot, is it so impossible to set up plays for them? Yes, defenders will be aware of the hot shooter. But other professional teams find ways to get more shots for shooters who are on fire.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our next 5 games will tell what Smith knows, or doesn't. We play Dallas, Phoenix (minus Griner), Indiana, Atlanta and Washington. We should be able to go 3-2. Anything worse should put Smith on the chopping block. I really hope we finish better than just one more win than last season.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smith's gotta go. It's obvious she's not up to the job. Not every great player can coach. Staley and Laimbeer are exceptions for a reason.

But I don't think it makes any since to fire her until the end of the season. If you hire her now, you have to hire an interim and you could get stuck with that person if the team starts winning. What the team needs is a full fresh start, new arena, new staff, new approach, new team.

I would keep Smith, play for lottery balls and try to win the offseason. Fire sale. Everyone is available except Nurse. It might take a couple of years, but it's what the team needs.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Our next 5 games will tell what Smith knows, or doesn't. We play Dallas, Phoenix (minus Griner), Indiana, Atlanta and Washington. We should be able to go 3-2. Anything worse should put Smith on the chopping block. I really hope we finish better than just one more win than last season.

Perhaps you'll be proven right. But I find it hard to imagine this team going 3-2 against anyone right now.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other news...joe buying rest if nets and one would assume Barclays at that price tag...to me that seems enough to be the other shoe to drop in getting libs to barclays full time

https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1161468234366775296?s=19

PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
In other news...joe buying rest if nets and one would assume Barclays at that price tag...to me that seems enough to be the other shoe to drop in getting libs to barclays full time

Very good news. What I've read for months about Joe T.'s plans regarding the Nets and the Barclay Center has been an important part of why I've felt that he purchased the Liberty with the intention of moving the team fulltime to Brooklyn. (Or mostly fulltime depending on conflicts with possible Nets' dates.)

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/13/19 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Very good news. What I've read for months about Joe T.'s plans regarding the Nets and the Barclay Center has been an important part of why I've felt that he purchased the Liberty with the intention of moving the team fulltime to Brooklyn. (Or mostly fulltime depending on conflicts with possible Nets' playoff dates.)

I agree 100% but was waiting for the other shoe which is why I was still taking Sunday seriously

But yes this is very positive news

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how about this for 2020

Ionescu/#13
Nurse/Durr
R. Allen/Copper/A. Howard
Charles/Gray
Zahui B/Stokes/Any FA near or over 6'5" IMS, Dolson get Swords back for 5 minutes a game idk someone

#13 Harris, Mangakahia, Cooper (I kind of like Cooper yes she looks bad but when she looks good she look really good like WNBA good, not just good college player good).
Hartley and 2021 2nd round pick for Copper
Get A. Howard up in camp
hope Johannes and Han Xu come back in 2021 as I doubt we've given them enough to get pumped for showing up in an Olympic year after making bank in the off season in their home countries and having National teams that think they might have a realistic shot at a medal

ps I may have just taken someone's idea from an earlier page and re-wrote it my bad if that is true.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 08/13/19 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As noted in this article, Forbes estimates Joe Tsai's net worth at $9.9 billion.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/joseph-tsai-to-buy-rest-of-brooklyn-nets-for-record-2-35b/

Now how Joe T. decides to spend his money is his business. But I'd say that he can afford to have the Liberty play all or almost all 2020 home games at the Barclay Center at whatever rental fee Barclay Center owner Joe Tsai decides to charge New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai. Smile

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Bec Allen for making another boring WCC loss
exciting...All the fans were rooting for Bec to get to 30 points
...but some of the the Liberty "Ball Hogs" could not resist taking
that shot ...even when Bec was free

Bec Im sure you will get 30 points ...thanks for a great game
and so great to have this game while your Dad was in the house

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Bec Im sure you will get 30 points ...thanks for a great game
and so great to have this game while your Dad was in the house

If this is how Bec plays when Dad is in the house, then we need to permanently strap him to the seat.

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just watched the 2nd quarter again. With slightly more than five minutes left in the quarter, Allen had scored only three points. She scored 17 points in a little more than five minutes!!!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/14/19 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Smith's gotta go. It's obvious she's not up to the job. Not every great player can coach. Staley and Laimbeer are exceptions for a reason.

I think it really helped Staley and Laimbeer to find their identity as defensive-minded coaches. I would think as a new coach, honing your team’s defense as the first order of business will allow you time to experiment with your team’s player combos and schemes as a season goes on. Defense can keep a team in games. The more games it’s in, the likelier it’ll win. And the offense can develop and evolve along the way without feeling constant pressure to produce. To me, the good coaches in sports in general are defensive-oriented, and I don’t think the W’s coaches are really any different. I’m surprised New York’s defense is so terrible under Smith given who she was previously coaching under, so maybe she was too offensive-minded from the get-go. Maybe she tried too hard not to do whatever she felt Laimbeer got wrong in his time and didn’t prioritize doing more of what he did right, such as defense. Just my two cents...

PUmatty wrote:
But I don't think it makes any since to fire her until the end of the season. If you hire her now, you have to hire an interim and you could get stuck with that person if the team starts winning. What the team needs is a full fresh start, new arena, new staff, new approach, new team.

I would keep Smith, play for lottery balls and try to win the offseason. Fire sale. Everyone is available except Nurse. It might take a couple of years, but it's what the team needs.

+1 with all of this. Nurse and Ionescu would make for a great backcourt, starting alongside a defensive SF...

jmvcity

PostPosted: 08/14/19 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Tsai to fully own the Nets.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/joseph-tsai-to-buy-rest-of-brooklyn-nets-for-record-2-35b/

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/14/19 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buying the Nets does not give Joe Tsai control of Barclays Center. That will be a separate transaction if it happens. Also, note that it is unlikely Tsai will be able to buy the arena outright. He may not even want to from a tax perspective. The article below explains it very well. Also, take a look at this chart to see the convoluted financial structure underlying the arena's operating arrangement.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/opinion/commentary/mikhail-prokhorov-doesnt-own-barclays-center.html

PostPosted: 08/14/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Joe Tsai to fully own the Nets.

Still, this gives hope that the Liberty are all the more likely to play there fulltime. Maybe not in 2020, but I feel by 2021 they'll play all their games at Barclays.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Translated Swedish article on Zahui
https://amp.svt.se/sport/basket/amanda-zahui-borta-efter-hjarnskakning-det-ar-jattetufft?cmpid=del%3Atw%3A20190815%3Aamanda-zahui-borta-efter-hjarnskakning-det-ar-jattetufft%3Anyh%3Alp&__twitter_impression=true
Quote:
Amanda Zahui gone after concussion: "It's really cool"
With six straight losses, Amanda Zahui's New York Liberty has a difficult period in the WNBA. Now the team looks to get it even harder. The Swedish starting center suffered a concussion last week, has missed the last two matches and learns to miss at least one more. - It's really tough for me to miss matches now that the season is to be decided. The team is having a hard time making a profit now, she tells SVT Sport.
Amanda Zahui makes her fifth season in the WNBA and her third in the New York Liberty. It has been a tough season for the team and now they are also losing their starting center after Zahui suffered a concussion against Chicago last week.

- I went up to make a return and got in touch with an opponent. Then I fell to the floor. I stayed for a while, then I was exchanged and since then I have been away from basketball, she tells SVT Sport.

Lost six games in a row
For Zahui, everything is about getting back as soon as possible, but the rehab program for concussions is strict in the WNBA.

- I want to play, but it's about being honest with the team doctors, that is, when I feel sick or have a headache. The rehab has gone okay, I've had to lie in the dark in my bedroom without using the cellphone, computer or TV, it's boring, Zahui tells SVT Sport.

Zahui and her New York Liberty have had a tough season in the WNBA and with only ten games left of the season, it is in a hurry to reverse the trend to qualify for the playoffs. They have six straight losses in a row.

- It's really tough for me to miss matches now that the season is to be decided. The team has been tough to make a profit now. There are only ten games left and we still have a chance to reach the playoffs so it's just getting the team together and running into the end, Zahui says.

"Everyone wants to beat New York"
Playing basketball in New York, the "Mecca of basketball," commits and all teams that come to visit look forward to snapping Liberty on their noses.

- We play in the world's best league and everyone really wants to beat New York. Everyone is looking for our heads but we want to reach the playoffs and we take one match at a time to do so, says Zahui.

The Swede is hopeful that she will be back on the field soon.

- The rehab is moving forward and I take steps on the action steps every day. We're on a three-match road trip now and hopefully I'll be back on Sunday when we meet Phoenix, concludes Amanda Zahui.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/15/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty have earned the right to play at Barclays.

https://winsidr.com/2019/08/15/the-new-york-liberty-have-earned-the-barclays-center-right/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/15/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

https://winsidr.com/2019/08/15/the-new-york-liberty-have-earned-the-barclays-center-right/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The one quote that jumped out at me: “Players have repeatedly expressed their belief and faith in [Smith].” A) How truthful is that? B) If it is, how much do they have a say in her coaching them next year?

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/15/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The one quote that jumped out at me: “Players have repeatedly expressed their belief and faith in [Smith].” A) How truthful is that? B) If it is, how much do they have a say in her coaching them next year?

I do know that Amanda Zahui B expressed her excitement that Asia Durr would be working with Katie Smith.

It doesn't matter what the players think. If she was worth keeping it would show on the court more than it has, in so many ways.

I want her away from the players as soon as possible. There is something very wrong with what she's doing. Hold her accountable so that the players know they'll be held accountable too. I have absolutely no idea what's actually going on, but I think a lack of accountability may be part of the problem.

The Liberty have not played like they were mentally tough for the whole Katie Smith era. That wasn't the case before she got here. The problem with the Laimbeer teams was that the Liberty were bad at finishing because there was no one but Tina who could do the job. That problem still exists today, but now they're not even making it to the final minutes.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/15/19 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

A. How truthful is that? No way to know, but how many times have we heard a player from any team say "I have no belief and faith in Coach ______"? What can they say? "I wish Bill Laimbeer were back." "She's the worst head coach in my amateur and professional career." "Please, please, get us a new coach." "The Liberty fans who are critical on Rebkell are right!" Smile

B. I can't imagine that the Liberty players will have any say in who will be their coach next season. Maybe the GM would speak to Tina Charles, but I'm skeptical of that. Everyone else... no way.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/15/19 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

A. How truthful is that? No way to know, but how many times have we heard a player from any team say "I have no belief and faith in Coach ______"? What can they say? "I wish Bill Laimbeer were back." "She's the worst head coach in my amateur and professional career." "Please, please, get us a new coach." "The Liberty fans who are critical on Rebkell are right!" Smile

B. I can't imagine that the Liberty players will have any say in who will be their coach next season. Maybe the GM would speak to Tina Charles, but I'm skeptical of that. Everyone else... no way.

I guess it was the word “repeatedly” that jumped out at me even more. “Repeatedly” as in media members have “repeatedly” asked them their opinions of Smith’s coaching and thus they have to “repeatedly” back her? Or do they go out of their way to defend her, in which she has their loyalty? Obviously few are going to be publicly honest if they do harbor negative feelings about their coach in particular. I’m just casually curious about the legitimacy and context of players apparently defending Smith, that’s all.

Yeah, even if Charles was the main one running the “No Hate-y for Katie” group, I don’t think it makes one iota of a difference. She cannot possibly at this point be this team’s coach next year, it would be shocking & appalling otherwise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 82 of 91

Jump to: