RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kyrgios vs. Nadal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/05/19 12:09 pm    ::: Kyrgios vs. Nadal Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="644" height="403" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U3weVAT1UtY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/U3weVAT1UtY

Nick Kyrgios says he deliberately tried to hit Rafael Nadal with ball at Wimbledon, won't apologize

Quote:
"Why would I apologize? I mean, the dude has got how many Slams, how much money in the bank account?" Kyrgios told reporters at a post-match news conference. "I think he can take a ball to the chest, bro. I'm not going to apologize to him at all."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/nick-kyrgios-says-he-deliberately-tried-to-hit-rafael-nadal-with-ball-at-wimbledon-wont-apologize/ar-AADTLuw?li=BBnb7Kz

Would someone just beat his ass just one good time?

PostPosted: 07/05/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="644" height="362" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vON4XrdZ-Eg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vON4XrdZ-Eg

PostPosted: 07/05/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kyrgios is a massive dick. That has been beyond doubt for years.
But aiming for the body is nothing new at all. Totally legitimate tactic, so this one is a big deal about nothing IMO.

Maybe he should play more mixed doubles. It seems much better for his mood:

<iframe width="700" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XiT8z8IgeAI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/05/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with that strategy and execution. In fact, that IS the proper play.

You wanna go to the net, you better be ready.

PostPosted: 07/06/19 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Kyrgios is a massive dick. That has been beyond doubt for years.
But aiming for the body is nothing new at all. Totally legitimate tactic, so this one is a big deal about nothing IMO.

agreed. his dissing of the chair umpire was out of line and he won't win the sportsmanship award, but that shot was a totally legitimate play, especially in the men's game. (taking someone's head off is fair play in any men's game, really. that's our culture.)

btw, michael change used an underhand serve as a tactic to beat ivan lendl in 1989, in a match of more than four hours on the french open clay, when chang was cramping and barely had the strength to continue play. it was his first and only grand slam win. to this day, it's one of the greatest matches of all time.

if there's anything that bothers me about kyrgios, it's that he doesn't seem to take tennis seriously. it's more like he's good at it, so he's having a go, but it's not clear that he really cares one way or another about the outcome of a match or his tennis career. in that sense, he's taking valuable space from someone who earnestly wants to compete at that level. i feel the same about gael monfils, who has played half-assed for way too many years.

as for rafa, it's really hard for me to watch him play.

PostPosted: 07/07/19 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I played varsity tennis in college (a hundred years ago) I was told to NEVER 'apologize' to an opponent if they got hit with a ball. At most, say, "You okay?" and move on.

Nadal's getting hit was his own doing....he moved to where the ball was heading, and didn't have his racquet ready. Razz Kyrgios' response was, I believe, more of a machismo/PR thing, albeit of poor choice.

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/07/19 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Nadal's getting hit was his own doing....he moved to where the ball was heading, and didn't have his racquet ready. Razz Kyrgios' response was, I believe, more of a machismo/PR thing, albeit of poor choice.

He didn't even get hit. The ball was hit at Nadal's body, he got his racquet to it, but he didn't get it back over the net. It was a whole lot of nothing.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top 2 seeds will decide if it's Grand Slam #21 (Federer) or #16 (Djokovic).

PostPosted: 07/12/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

today i was rooting for roger. really excellent match. i don't watch the men play that often, but damn. really good stuff.

sunday i'll root for djoker.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope the men's final is more entertaining than the women's final. Halep took it to Serena.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Equality is my cause: Serena puts legend King in her place

Quote:
She was beaten 6-2, 6-2 in less than an hour by Simona Halep, who had lost on nine of the 10 previous occasions she had played the American.

King had said that running a business, looking after a child and battling for equality for women and ethnic minorities, could largely all be dealt with by her staff while she focused on tennis for a couple of years.

The 75-year-old told the BBC earlier in the tournament that Williams should give up being a celebrity for a year: "Just stop all this insanity."

Williams, though, hit back on Saturday.

"The day I stop fighting for equality and for people that look like you and me will be the day I'm in my grave," said the 37-year-old in response to the question.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/equality-is-my-cause-serena-puts-legend-king-in-her-place/ar-AAEhiOf?li=BBnbfcL

PostPosted: 07/13/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
I hope the men's final is more entertaining than the women's final. Halep took it to Serena.

Not me. I want to see the old man wrap this thing up early Smile

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 07/14/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 3 is truly amazing. Their dominance is something special.

What a match!

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/14/19 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why we should no longer doubt Novak Djokovic's place among tennis' GOATs

Quote:
That, in a nutshell, is what Djokovic's life has been like in the Federer-Nadal era.

But now, Djokovic has actually caught up to and even surpassed those two players in almost every way that counts. Djokovic leads Nadal in the most prolific head-to-head matchup of the entire Open era 28-26. He leads Federer in the third-most contested rivalry 26-22. The only area in which Djokovic still trails them is the most widely publicized of them all: the total Grand Slam title count, still led by Federer's 20. Djokovic, like Fed and Rafa, has won on every Slam surface.

Quote:
Djokovic is aiming for that major title record, no doubt about it. He has survived the equivalent of a tennis player's midlife crisis and rebounded by winning three of the past four majors. Federer was asked if he found it "exciting" to be in a race with a few rivals hoping to break his record.

"Well, it used to be a really, really big deal," he said, deflecting to his effort to break the previous record of 14 held by Pete Sampras. "Eventually you tie. Then eventually you break. That was big. It's been different since. I take motivation from different places, not so much from trying to stay ahead, because I broke the record. If somebody else does -- well, that's great for them. You can't protect everything anyway."

Novak Djokovic doesn't need to chase anymore. He's running neck-and-neck now and at a pace that suggests he has plenty of kick left for the home stretch.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/27191441/why-no-longer-doubt-novak-djokovic-place-tennis-goats

PostPosted: 07/14/19 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno. Maybe my memory is failing me, or the times have changed on the tennis scene.

I'm watching The Big Match today, and it dawns on me: I don't remember the men of yesteryear playing such loooong rallies on grass. Now, I haven't followed the men's game ardently since the days when Pete Sampras, Andre Aggasi, Jim Courier, Ivan Lendl, et.al., dominated the scene.

But after watching today's match, I watched an archived match between Sampras and Fed from 18 years ago: then, even Roger played the serve-and-volley game that (apparently) is no longer to be found.

Is it just me....am I relying on too small a snapshot to determine The Current Status of Men's Grasscourt Tennis from today's match, or do the men no longer favor the serve-and-volley game? Shocked

PostPosted: 07/15/19 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've slowed the court down so much that serve-and-volley is less effective

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
They've slowed the court down so much that serve-and-volley is less effective

that's not conclusive. there's debate among the players what's going on, and wimbledon officials aren't very forthcoming, but there could be multiple factors involved - more than just a different grass.

PostPosted: 07/15/19 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. Not having followed the game much recently, I've never heard any discussion/theory on that. Is that something a prestigious institution might actually do--change the grass to radically alter the game? Cuz I remember when Borg and Vilas were criticized for wanting ground rally marathons--EVERYBODY who was anybody did the serve and volley thing.

(Gawd I'm old!) Razz

PostPosted: 07/16/19 3:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting. Not having followed the game much recently, I've never heard any discussion/theory on that. Is that something a prestigious institution might actually do--change the grass to radically alter the game? Cuz I remember when Borg and Vilas were criticized for wanting ground rally marathons--EVERYBODY who was anybody did the serve and volley thing.

(Gawd I'm old!) Razz

play has slowed, for sure. the why is what's being debated. the grass was changed, but there's no agreement whether wimbledon did it deliberately to slow the play. wimbledon is officially saying no. raffa says it's heavier balls. another player is blaming increased humidity. yet another has a theory about the soil. others are citing several collaborative factors, including newer composite rackets. you could even throw in the addition of the roof, which could create more of a hothouse effect.

PostPosted: 08/15/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vBBqeXRTq_I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBBqeXRTq_I

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: