RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Wings @ Mercury - 8/10/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14949
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta think that suspension just sealed MVP for DelleDonne.


mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5107
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Gotta think that suspension just sealed MVP for DelleDonne.


I thought it was already sealed even before the suspension.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59906
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Merc under .500, Griner wasn't a real contender for the award. Nneka Ogwumike is likely second, or first if EDD misses more time.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8852
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
It all started off with when both BG & Anigwe were fighting for postion in the post & they both ended with elbows on each other's neck area it seems at the same time. After that BG had her arm out boxing out & Kristine yank it which thankfully BG didnt get hurt because she easily could have be. From watching the gm it was hard to see if BG react to having her arm pulled rightfully or if Kistine took a swing on her head.

KT really had no business running up on BG & trying to fight her.

All 3 deserve the same suspension imo.


Laughing Laughing Laughing
So you think Griner's reaction was warranted ?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21617
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
With the Merc under .500, Griner wasn't a real contender for the award. Nneka Ogwumike is likely second, or first if EDD misses more time.

If Delle Donne didn't play another game for the rest of the regular season I think it gets incredibly open. I could easily see first-place votes for Nneka, Cambage, JJones, Howard and Griner, and top-5 ballots could easily include about 20 different players.

But yeah, if EDD's healthy until the end of the season, #1 doesn't look like it's going to be close.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3616



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
It all started off with when both BG & Anigwe were fighting for postion in the post & they both ended with elbows on each other's neck area it seems at the same time. After that BG had her arm out boxing out & Kristine yank it which thankfully BG didnt get hurt because she easily could have be. From watching the gm it was hard to see if BG react to having her arm pulled rightfully or if Kistine took a swing on her head.

KT really had no business running up on BG & trying to fight her.

All 3 deserve the same suspension imo.


Us Libra's must think alike! I have stated several times that KT should have gotton a 3 game suspension for running up to BG and throwing punches while the ref was holding BG. The person who made these rules is sadly mistaken(the commisioner) talk is a bull s call.


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3616



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Gotta think that suspension just sealed MVP for DelleDonne.


Yep, cause BG was way ahead of DD- shameful!


Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 1179



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
It all started off with when both BG & Anigwe were fighting for postion in the post & they both ended with elbows on each other's neck area it seems at the same time. After that BG had her arm out boxing out & Kristine yank it which thankfully BG didnt get hurt because she easily could have be. From watching the gm it was hard to see if BG react to having her arm pulled rightfully or if Kistine took a swing on her head.

KT really had no business running up on BG & trying to fight her.

All 3 deserve the same suspension imo.


Laughing Laughing Laughing
So you think Griner's reaction was warranted ?
No not at all I don't think BG running after Anigwe was the best reaction & throwing punches.


ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 8457
Location: St. Paul, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I know Griner and Anigwe are both responsible and I in no way condone BG's response. However, Anigwe pulled her arm back in a way that could have caused significant injury. It was different from the normal give and take in the post. I totally understand why BG got angry there.


+1.


Yeah i dont like that type of play either. Its dangerous. For example: Kevin Love got his shoulder injury in a similar way.

I'll never forget Doris Burke advocating on the air that Sylvia do this to Candace's injured shoulder in the NCAAs.


ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 8457
Location: St. Paul, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PTI brought up a great point about BG's threat to league.

Get the HC, GM, and her agent on a call to the league office, if she feels as if the officiating is uneven. I know Liz has talked about officials not being able of officiate her because of her size. If it's legit complaint go about it the right way, instead of making threats in the media.

My opinion, if BG goes this route, she better anticipate going to the bench a lot sooner than she does. She'll foul out by halftime if she doesn't. She deploys, hooks and holds, and gut shots as sneakily as the folks she's complaining about.


Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 1265



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always been very 'meh' about this notion of "the right way." Why is that the right way? Who decided?



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
vossy



Joined: 13 Aug 2019
Posts: 7
Location: Long Beach


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I generally like BG (tho wdn't say I'm a superfan) so was inclined to believe her version of events, and know posts generally get mauled in the paint. I went back and watched this game and the prior game where BG and Anigwe were matched up to see what led up to this. The most surprising thing was Anigwe played very few minutes either game. I also didn't see anything noteworthy by Anigwe either game, even tho I was looking hard for it, until BG elbowed her in the neck. I did see lots of gratuitous shoving etc by BG.

I do agree with BG I would have given Thorton the most games. I also don't blame her for questioning whether playing in the WNBA is worth it.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1545
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
With the Merc under .500, Griner wasn't a real contender for the award. Nneka Ogwumike is likely second, or first if EDD misses more time.


If I have to live in a world where Nneka Ogwumike has more MVP's than Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore, I quit.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59906
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
With the Merc under .500, Griner wasn't a real contender for the award. Nneka Ogwumike is likely second, or first if EDD misses more time.


If I have to live in a world where Nneka Ogwumike has more MVP's than Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore, I quit.


That's what Maya did...



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2832



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


Well Taurasi could've gotten more MVP's if she didn't take time off for rest and wisdom teeth removal Wink


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52818



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qPQqINV9YyY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3616



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qPQqINV9YyY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Maybe some of the na sayers should watch this interview. She is trying to protect herself but is not getting any help. She knows she was wrong to lose it like that but people can only take so much. As far as I am concerned i used to like Kayla T but now i look at her as a BULLY. She had no business going after BG when she Kayla was NOT even involved in the original dust up yet she runs up to BG and begins to throw blows. What does the league do, they blame BG for pushing KT in the face when KT should have been on her bench and not
attacking BG!!


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21617
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or they blamed her for, y'know, taking multiple wild swings at opposing players, chasing an opposing player half the length of the court looking to beat the shit out of her, and then continuing to swing while a referee was forced to essentially tackle her to hold her up.

From what I saw, Thornton ran over to get between them like a mass of other people, then got especially pissed off when some of Griner's swings made contact with her. And even if she did get unnecessarily involved, she'd have a hell of a lot more right to the "I was just trying to protect my teammate" defense that Taurasi has been clinging to.

I continue to be amazed by the amount of people I've seen defending Griner over this situation who barely seem to think she did anything wrong. What the hell would've happened if Billy Smith didn't manage to tackle her?



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7868
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or they blamed her for, y'know, taking multiple wild swings at opposing players, chasing an opposing player half the length of the court looking to beat the shit out of her, and then continuing to swing while a referee was forced to essentially tackle her to hold her up.

From what I saw, Thornton ran over to get between them like a mass of other people, then got especially pissed off when some of Griner's swings made contact with her. And even if she did get unnecessarily involved, she'd have a hell of a lot more right to the "I was just trying to protect my teammate" defense that Taurasi has been clinging to.

I continue to be amazed by the amount of people I've seen defending Griner over this situation who barely seem to think she did anything wrong. What the hell would've happened if Billy Smith didn't manage to tackle her?

Yeah, if people are defending Griner for this, they are wrong. She was unequivocally wrong for what she did, no matter what led up to it. We can understand where she is coming from, but that doesn't excuse what she did.

Listening to Griner, it sounded more like she knew she was in the wrong and didn't have an issue with the length of suspension, just had an issue that Anigwe didn't get the same. And that I 100% agree with. A person instigates and then runs away (which means she threw the equivalent of sucker punch and then taunted by running away), shouldn't have gotten less. Since being chased down by the person you sucker punched is something a reasonable person would conceive as a foreseeable outcome to hitting someone then rabbiting, Anigwe shares blame in everything that came afterward.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21617
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Listening to Griner, it sounded more like she knew she was in the wrong and didn't have an issue with the length of suspension, just had an issue that Anigwe didn't get the same. And that I 100% agree with. A person instigates and then runs away (which means she threw the equivalent of sucker punch and then taunted by running away), shouldn't have gotten less. Since being chased down by the person you sucker punched is something a reasonable person would conceive as a foreseeable outcome to hitting someone then rabbiting, Anigwe shares blame in everything that came afterward.

I can at least see your perspective on that argument, but personally I think that's nonsense as well. If you watch the whole thing from the beginning of the possession, Griner gives Anigwe a couple of little shoves during it (nothing much more than you typically see in the post, but not exactly legal); then as is often the case, their arms are linked and wrestling when the shot goes up, but Griner is also 'boxing out' with an arm in Anigwe's neck region; that pisses Anigwe off, who uses the linked arms to pull Griner, and takes a fairly half-hearted swipe at the back of Griner's head with the other arm. If it stops there, or Griner gives her a shove or something, Anigwe probably would've gotten tossed on review but that might be about it. Maybe a one-game suspension, but we've even seen people do stuff like that and stay in games. It's Griner who took swing after swing, who went charging after an opposing player, who needed to be restrained by a mass of people. Anigwe might've looked ridiculous scarpering from the fight, but that's also an effort to get away from the conflict rather than keep if going.

'Who started it' is somewhat arguable (what's the start? The first swing, or the shoves in the back, or the arm pull, or the arm in the throat, or the stuff from the previous games?) but yes, Anigwe took the first effort that resembled a swing. But to me what Griner did after that was a hell of a lot more, and deserved the greater punishment.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52818



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/14/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was absolutely nothing unusual happening in the post battle between Griner and Anigwe that excused Anigwe from jerking Griner’s arm hard and with possible injurious intent. They weren’t “tangled”. Anigwe grabbed Griner’s arm with both hands. Then she topped it off with a forceful slap down at Griner’s face. If you watch this gif from the beginning you might be able to see what apparently wasn’t obvious before.



Anigwe’s not capable of losing her temper and hurting somebody as a result? Then what’s happening here?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ybd_ubJuEao" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure, Griner went over the edge. But she was pushed hard over that edge. In the real world, if somebody takes a swing at you, you have a right to swing back. Griner may have wanted to commit an assault, but she didn’t. Anigwe got away with one. People are really feeling sorry for Anigwe? Give me a fricken break.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 262
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/15/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There was absolutely nothing unusual happening in the post battle between Griner and Anigwe that excused Anigwe from jerking Griner’s arm hard and with possible injurious intent. They weren’t “tangled”. Anigwe grabbed Griner’s arm with both hands. Then she topped it off with a forceful slap down at Griner’s face. If you watch this gif from the beginning you might be able to see what apparently wasn’t obvious before.



Anigwe’s not capable of losing her temper and hurting somebody as a result? Then what’s happening here?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ybd_ubJuEao" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure, Griner went over the edge. But she was pushed hard over that edge. In the real world, if somebody takes a swing at you, you have a right to swing back. Griner may have wanted to commit an assault, but she didn’t. Anigwe got away with one. People are really feeling sorry for Anigwe? Give me a fricken break.


I see nothing wrong in either video, Anigwe is innocent in every way...Go Wings 🤫🤭😜


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25706



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/15/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

guess Anigwe wants to be known as an enforcer. best be careful what you wish for. On the other hand, like I said before, it's a great strategy to send in a dirty player off the bench to instigate the other team's star. Sometimes it works well.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
PicknLOL



Joined: 16 Jul 2019
Posts: 83



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/15/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
On the other hand, like I said before, it's a great strategy to send in a dirty player off the bench to instigate the other team's star. Sometimes it works well.

Should have sent a memo to Thornton so she would stay put.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7868
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/15/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
guess Anigwe wants to be known as an enforcer. best be careful what you wish for. On the other hand, like I said before, it's a great strategy to send in a dirty player off the bench to instigate the other team's star. Sometimes it works well.

LOL. Suddenly the WNBA is gonna have a bunch of 12th players who are built like tanks, can't shoot, can't jump--heck, can barely run--that get subbed in at certain times.

The era of the BASKETBALL GOON is upon us!




_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin