RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm @ Liberty - 8/11/19 at Barclays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/11/19 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Geoff Magliocchetti tweeted that they're considering a split season next year between Barclays and Nassau Coliseum. He's trying to get more info on this. A shame Tsai wasn't at the game to get this answered.

Only thing I'll say is the colosseum isn't that much smaller and harder to curtain off the lower bowl...I'll believe whatever when I see it

There were stragglers in 212 upstairs so lower bowl sellout isn't that hard to obtain...

I think we did give an a lot to think of

A split season depends on when the games were

Weekdays no way Nassau

Weekend afternoons he'll yeah as long as busses running

But I'm also in queens

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A split season sounds like a really bad idea. Will they split season tickets? Hard to imagine many people buying season tickets to go to both locations.

Also seems like it will be playing with fire assuming people keep track of which arena on which day. All I would have to do is show up at an empty arena once and I would likely never try again.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Between losing so much and WCC and wondering where will play I’m just emotionally drained.

What does this mean ?

Maybe I have the wrong meaning. I don't know. But I just meant it as I'm frustrated to the point where I'm just not feeling as much emotion. As in, I know the season is over. It's been two disappointing seasons in a row and we still don't even know where the team will be based in 2020. So, it's hard to feel the same degree of emotion that I would normally feel. So in essence, I'm saying that I'm detached emotionally at this point compared to my usual.

Or, to put it another way. I've given in to the team performing terribly. And to the team being coached poorly. And to not even knowing if I can continue to be a season ticket holder next year because I don't even know where our team will be housed, something that no other team in any major professional sport is experiencing. So in essence what I am saying is my only choice is to divest myself from it emotionally somewhat.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think that playing home games in two different arenas in two different neighborhoods is a bad idea, especially if you’re trying to rebuild the fan base after two years in White Plains. These arenas may all be in New York, but I think it’s going to lead to a lot of confusion and won’t help with their home identity. Imagine if the Barclays attendance is double that of Nassau each game. Would playing in LI really feel like a home game?
Which arena would get the most weekend games? Will the ticket prices be the same? Assigning season seats could be a nightmare.

dab44lb

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is <bleeping> ridiculous!!! I've followed this team to Newark, WCC, on road trips to Conn, and D.C.!!! I have endured mis-management, bad drafts, dumb drafts, stupid trades, a phone call from Carol Blaze, and some incredibly awful basketball and coaching. I would have thought that the possibility of getting Ionescu would be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, then this!!! Split venues one of which is in Nassau County?!!! Geez!!!! Enough!!! This team is giving my BP Med's a run for it's money. I've already had one BP related episode on my way to watch this nightmare and I need to take a break. Back when you get your crap together and decide on a home.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/12/19 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know, getting scintillating pregame entertainment like that full-blown musical number from "Bounce: The Basketball Opera" nearly makes it all worthwhile. Wink

PostPosted: 08/12/19 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As to split arenas, I know the transportation issue isn't quite the same, but for 25 years or so UConn has played in two home venues 27 miles apart, just about the same mileage as the distance from Barclay's to Nassau Colosseum. Gampel Pavilion, the on campus venue, is a much longer drive for most of the state, but it gets comparable attendance percentagewise to the XL Center in Hartford. Season tickets are usually available in various packages -- all games, Gampel only, XL only, certain games only, etc.

As to Bob Lamm's question as to why a large block of prime seats may be empty, I obviously don't know. But in the old days when UConn sold out every game, there were always pockets of empty prime seats. These were bought not necessarily by big corporations, but by many doctors, lawyers, dentists and financial planners all over the state who would give them to their clients. My dentist typically had a block of seats for WBB and more for MBB. You would see different people in these seats for different games, because they were being used by different clients, but oftentimes they were just empty.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/12/19 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In NY (unlike Conn or pretty much anywhere else) a vast majority of fans (my estimation at minimum 75%) get to the games via public transportation. Barclay's is the only place besides MSG that you can get to by the subway ($2.75 per person, or no cost for the many fans who have monthly or weekly subway passes already in hand for work or school). Prudential Center, WCC and Nassau all require the subway to get to a specific train station locations and then some form of commuter train (NJ transit, Metro North, LIRR) not only does this increase the amount of time and aggravation it takes to get to the games but it also increases the cost by more than 10 up to sometimes 20 to 25 dollars per person this is the main reason there is such a huge drop off in attendance for games outside the actual city. It is much harder for a couple or a family of four to go to a game when you add an additional 50 to 100 dollars in cost. That is why Barclay's is really the only option if you want 5,000+ fans. That is obviously the debate ownership is looking at smaller attendance/revenue and cheaper out of town venue or greater attendance/revenue off-set by more expensive venue.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/12/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, being able to take the subway is a huge factor. Not only is it much cheaper, and often quicker, but also subways run more frequently. Right now, the Metro-North train from WCC only comes once per hour at night. If you miss it, you'll have a long wait. That's pretty typical of commuter trains. It makes a difference to people who have to get up in the morning and go to work. None of these factors by themselves may be a deterrent, but add them up and the minuses start to exceed the pluses for most people.

PostPosted: 08/12/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
In NY (unlike Conn or pretty much anywhere else) a vast majority of fans (my estimation at minimum 75%) get to the games via public transportation. Barclay's is the only place besides MSG that you can get to by the subway ($2.75 per person, or no cost for the many fans who have monthly or weekly subway passes already in hand for work or school). Prudential Center, WCC and Nassau all require the subway to get to a specific train station locations and then some form of commuter train (NJ transit, Metro North, LIRR) not only does this increase the amount of time and aggravation it takes to get to the games but it also increases the cost by more than 10 up to sometimes 20 to 25 dollars per person this is the main reason there is such a huge drop off in attendance for games outside the actual city. It is much harder for a couple or a family of four to go to a game when you add an additional 50 to 100 dollars in cost. That is why Barclay's is really the only option if you want 5,000+ fans. That is obviously the debate ownership is looking at smaller attendance/revenue and cheaper out of town venue or greater attendance/revenue off-set by more expensive venue.

This is why I've sat out occasional WCC games. The round-trip cost for two people from where I am combined is 32.50 at minimum and more if I want to add in conveniences such as an Uber from metro north to home. Throw in that a 7:00 game from WCC ends around 9. The train schedule for that couldn't be worse, with the train schedule spaced out something like 9:04 and 10:01. So that means when you get out of the game, you may not get your train for about an hour. That's a lot of expense and inconvenience. My seats are pretty good, so I generally can't complain about that. But for some people, you're adding in seats with a partially obstructed view and asking them to deal with the expense and inconvenience on top of it. And we haven't even mentioned the on-court product yet. Successful Liberty teams have almost always been built on defense. The only 20+ win Liberty team that didn't have that sort of grind was the 2010 team, and they were built around exceptional 3-point shooting, one superstar player, and unusually effective offensive balance.

So, you're looking at going through quite a grind just to attend the game. And we aren't seeing the types of results associated with grinding in the product. It's a lot to ask of fans.

PostPosted: 08/12/19 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved the feel of Barclays Center yesterday...
the fans and the feel of playing in a real arena
thats easy to get to. nice turn out Good Vibes
Lots of fans that I dont see in WCC

What I didn't like was no box score on the screen !
How the hell do you do that? Even WCC has a screen Box Score
No Roster Cards...and Running out of Tee shirt giveaways
Liberty what were you thinking of ...this is the biggest
attendance for the year and you dont order enough give a ways ?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/12/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a good feel being in Brooklyn yesterday, but the product is still terrible.

Same ol mistakes, same ol players making the mistakes, same ol coach.

If we gonna be in Brooklyn 2020, we better see some changes or its gonna be the same ol team over and over

toad455

PostPosted: 08/12/19 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
It was a good feel being in Brooklyn yesterday, but the product is still terrible.

If we gonna be in Brooklyn 2020, we better see some changes or its gonna be the same ol team over and over

Adding Ionescu and a big free agent will change things next season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

That's why I'm on the miss playoffs wagon...aggrigate just gives it away that thats the right decision

In order

Barclays Center for all games

Fire Katie

Get a true pg...give up on Boyd as a starter...on fence as the backup

Get a big name free agent more I hear more I think that the Beckham rule in some form is coming to the w take advantage

Still need a stable viable home so barclays is still paramount but agreed need to show a reason to believe so tge 2 go hand in hand

PostPosted: 08/13/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Smith has given up on Boyd. Unless we don't land Ionescu or get another PG via free agency, Boyd's gone after this season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As to split arenas, I know the transportation issue isn't quite the same, but for 25 years or so UConn has played in two home venues 27 miles apart, just about the same mileage as the distance from Barclay's to Nassau Colosseum. Gampel Pavilion, the on campus venue, is a much longer drive for most of the state, but it gets comparable attendance percentagewise to the XL Center in Hartford. Season tickets are usually available in various packages -- all games, Gampel only, XL only, certain games only, etc.

Seattle have been doing the same thing this season in the WNBA, with several games at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett and most at Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle, which are a similar distance apart. I think fans are generally smart enough to handle a split schedule, although admittedly a vaguely competent front office who could communicate things well would help. But as we're seeing here, it seems like the prospect of playing at Nassau at all is what most people don't like, rather than the idea of splitting the schedule. If it was half Barclays and half MSG people would probably be fine with it.

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing they're (Joe Tsai) is looking at getting as many games as possible at Barclays. Maybe a few games early in the season need to be played at Nassau, especially with the likelihood the Nets advance far in the NBA playoffs. I doubt it's an even split(9/8), but maybe a 12/5 split.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: