View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:11 am    ::: DNP - Mental Health Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/liz-cambage-mental-health

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outstanding essay.

"Rehabbing an injury like any other."

I love that line. We understand a torn ACL. We get it. We know what it means, how long a player will likely be out, and the potential for how it may affect their career. And because we understand it, there is no stigma attached to it. It's simply something that is. Something for a player to persevere through.

The better we understand mental illness the more we will be able to drop the stigma from it as well. To be able to approach it in a similar fashion as one would any other potentially serious injury is a powerful way of thinking.

Stay strong Liz. And thank you for your openness.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well . . .whoa.

Man I feel crappy about what I assumed about her. I truly had no idea. One of the crummy things about life is that, from the outside, people can't tell why we do what we do. So a very shy person can be perceived as aloof or haughty. A depressed person can be seen as lazy or stupid. A manic person can be seen as an asshole, a person with autism can be seen as inappropriate.

I apologize, Liz. I just thought you didn't care all that much about the game or fans or your team. Turns out you probably care more than most, given what you have to deal with just to play at all.

Be well. Rest. Reconnect. And I really appreciated the riptide metaphor.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear you, MuneravenMN. This essay is wonderful. It not only helps to understand the issues, feelings, etc. that many who suffer from mental illness experience but it also teaches a valuable lesson about judging.

Liz is extremely brave, IMO, to come out like this. Any sports fanbase can be extremely critical. Examples of some mild criticism on this board: she is worthless, she shouldn't have made this team, she doesn't rebound enough, she doesn't shoot enough, she is a problem in the locker room, she is a diva and spoiled brat, etc. The list goes on. All because we think we know a person because we see them play on a basketball court for a couple of hours two or three times a week for a few months and said hi to the player in an autograph session.

Liz just put herself out there for the critics to thrive.

Good luck, Liz. I hope you can get the support you need to deal with this very real and terrifying issue. You are an amazing basketball player and we all would be at loss if you were not able to stay and play.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was an exceptal story. Maybe now some of the folks who spoke negatively against her but we all know there will be those who won't. She really put it all out there and she should be proud of doing so. I wish her continued good health and the best of luck.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The people around Cambage need to see to it that she's taking her Meds.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/11/19 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huskie

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
And yet, this fool wasn't taking her medication.

Quite the norm for many people with behavioral health issues. Mental health issues are misunderstood or not understood by many, so I won’t judge you for this crass and uncalled for comment.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zune69, my niece is bipolar and it’s very common to not take their meds because when they are on them it can dull your senses when you’re not in a manic or depressive state. Your comments illustrate a lack of understanding about mental health issues. Hopefully you can educate yourself.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Quite the norm for many people with behavioral health issues. Mental health issues are misunderstood or not understood by many, so I won’t judge you for this crass and uncalled for comment.

I edited my comment before you quoted me.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/11/19 3:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Huskie

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

My point is still the same. Those with behavioral health issues commonly go off their meds even though ‘they should know better’. Part of the diagnosis is discerning what is good or bad for your own health. A frustrating situation for family and friends. A lifelong battle for all.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beautifully told story... It would be a shame if she indeed called it quits from the WNBA/basketball after 2020, given how much this league I think needs her, for more meaningful ways than just her play on the court of course. But hey, it’s absolutely her decision to make, and it’s pretty amazing how she’s still playing here even now... I’m choosing to enjoy this time with her around while it lasts.

Now I wouldn’t be upset if Vegas got a championship this year or next.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage has my respect, as a player in general, and as playing having to deal with this, and I feel for her. That was an enlightening and moving read.

zune69 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

zune69

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Cambage has my respect, as a player in general, and as playing having to deal with this, and I feel for her. That was an enlightening and moving read.

zune69 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

What are you eye rolling for?.......Liz not taking her medication played a huge roll in her recent setback.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/11/19 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

My point is still the same. Those with behavioral health issues commonly go off their meds even though ‘they should know better’. Part of the diagnosis is discerning what is good or bad for your own health. A frustrating situation for family and friends. A lifelong battle for all.

Yes, and the medications usually come with not-insignificant side effects.

Managing mental illness often involves watching for triggers and getting back on medications before you spiral (and having a strong external support system to help you identify warning signs that you may miss), not necessarily constantly being on medication.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Huskie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Yes, and the medications usually come with not-insignificant side effects.

Managing mental illness often involves watching for triggers and getting back on medications before you spiral (and having a strong external support system to help you identify warning signs that you may miss), not necessarily constantly being on medication.

Exactly!

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
What are you eye rolling for?.......Liz not taking her medication played a huge roll in her recent setback.

You have some real obnoxious arrogant pricks on Rebkell.

My apologies. I thought I was quoting the edited post, because it was different from the one that was quoted elsewhere and you already said you edited it, and didn't notice the text changed a second time after I clicked quote.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
zune69 wrote:

You have some real obnoxious arrogant pricks on Rebkell.

My apologies. I thought I was quoting the edited post, because it was different from the one that was quoted elsewhere and you already said you edited it, and didn't notice the text changed a second time after I clicked quote.

Apology accepted.

And calling Cambage a fool was in poor taste, so I apologize for that.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

It’s not as easy as it sounds to just make sure she takes the medications. As she said when she is on it for too long she feels like she loses herself and I don’t know if it has happened to her, but when you feel like you are losing yourself it can also lead to thoughts of suicide and depression because what’s the point of living if you can’t be yourself. It is definitely a delicate balance and unless there is someone in her life that knows and understands her to that level you need to be careful you aren’t pushing her to far the other way. And in her story she also mentions it makes her bed ridden for 18 hours a day, which can’t be easy for her. There are a lot of elements that go into mental illness and unlike a physical injury this takes someone really know and understanding a person to be able to help them or to even play that role of “enforcer” to can’t just be anyone because if you don’t truly understand what makes that person tick you can cause more harm than good, even though you have the greatest of intentions.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/11/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please keep it civil. Important subject here, let's not let it devolve.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a very open and moving essay, and very well written. She has talent as a writer.

Unfortunately, depression medications don't work for many people but do have some significant side effects. When depression starts in the teen years, it likely will last a lifetime. It can be managed and minimized. But not with booze. That will make everything worse, and increasingly worse as the years roll by. Liz must try her best to stop drinking for good.

All the best to her. She's got so much talent and things to offer the world.
TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

It’s not as easy as it sounds to just make sure she takes the medications. As she said when she is on it for too long she feels like she loses herself and I don’t know if it has happened to her, but when you feel like you are losing yourself it can also lead to thoughts of suicide and depression because what’s the point of living if you can’t be yourself. It is definitely a delicate balance and unless there is someone in her life that knows and understands her to that level you need to be careful you aren’t pushing her to far the other way. And in her story she also mentions it makes her bed ridden for 18 hours a day, which can’t be easy for her. There are a lot of elements that go into mental illness and unlike a physical injury this takes someone really know and understanding a person to be able to help them or to even play that role of “enforcer” to can’t just be anyone because if you don’t truly understand what makes that person tick you can cause more harm than good, even though you have the greatest of intentions.

I think the 18 hours a day in bed is when starting the meds up again after having been off.

Sounds like even once adjusted she requires more rest on than off but I don't think the 18 hours a day is steady state. Though the start up cost would make it easier to talk yourself out of restarting once you stop even if logically you know it is best.

Maybe she can ultimately progress to lower maintenance doses that help her keep the edge off with less impact from the side effect.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be so much better for Hollywood Liz if she can find a natural healer that works for her specific problem. That way, there would be no side effect issues to deal with.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! How remarkable of Liz Cambage to share all this with the world. This is a very special gift to readers struggling with the same issues that she is. And to those of us who aren't--to help us be more sensitive and supportive to anyone we know with mental health struggles.

I already had great respect for Ms. Cambage as an athlete. I watched on TV as she tore up the New York Liberty, my team, for an unprecedented 53-point barrage. I didn't know much about her as a person till reading this. And now she has my great respect for her courage and candor. Wishing her all the best today and, I hope, for a long and satisfying life way beyond her basketball days.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/12/19 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
It would be so much better for Hollywood Liz if she can find a natural healer that works for her specific problem. That way, there would be no side effect issues to deal with.

It's not that simple...but I do know someone who got alternative treatment and over time was in fact able to get off all her meds, and she had been on a substantial number of them. But it took time, not something to do cold turkey. We are taught to think the answer to any problem is a pill. Sometimes it is. But most of them do come with terrible side effects if you read the fine print. So it's always a good idea to look for alternatives for the longer term, even if meds are the answer for the short run. In general, IMO Western medicine is great for crisis intervention, but not so great for chronic conditions.

- Amanda Gorman
jap

PostPosted: 08/12/19 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
jap wrote:

It's not that simple...but I do know someone who got alternative treatment and over time was in fact able to get off all her meds, and she had been on a substantial number of them. But it took time, not something to do cold turkey. We are taught to think the answer to any problem is a pill. Sometimes it is. But most of them do come with terrible side effects if you read the fine print. So it's always a good idea to look for alternatives for the longer term, even if meds are the answer for the short run. In general, IMO Western medicine is great for crisis intervention, but not so great for chronic conditions.

Hi Myrtle. I was not trivializing the issue in the least. By "natural healers" I was referring to natural fruits, oils, teas, etc. that are immensely instrumental in defeating illnesses. For instance, black seed oil (also known as "cumin" in the Bible) and the the soursop fruit are known to fight and even cure cancer. I am West Indian, and we have boiled the leaves of the soursop fruit to make a tea that cures virtually any respiratory illness.

In Liz' case, her first task is to find out what her real problem is. Then finding a natural cure becomes much easier. I was misdiagnosed for a medical problem by some 5-6 doctors. It turned out later on that my real problem was due to my thyroid gland being malnourished. So after wasting my time and money over decades on synthetic medication that had very limited success, I found natural cures that brought a complete cure. Western medicine failed me completely.

I do not have any real faith in so-called "miracle drugs" and the like. In the USA and the rest of the world, it is illegal to patent a natural healer. The "miracle drugs" are for the overwhelming part poor attempts to emulate natural healers and they tend to have side effects. Natural healers have at best very little and usually NO side side effects whatsoever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: