RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA WBB committee recommends two site format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/19 4:10 pm    ::: NCAA WBB committee recommends two site format Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-women-s-basketball-committee-elects-chairs-2019-21

Quote:
The committee’s recommendation to move to a two-site regional format effective for the 2023 championship was supported by the Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. The Women’s Basketball Committee noted moving to a two-site format would elevate and enhance the student-athlete experience, enhance broadcast coverage, create opportunity for growth of the sport and championship, build the brand of women’s basketball and expand programming targeting strategic plan initiatives that were announced in the NCAA Women’s Basketball Strategic Plan.

PostPosted: 08/10/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like a good move, but playing in the big arenas is going to lead to lots of empty seats no matter how many teams are there.

In some ways, I wish they'd go to smaller arenas (5,000 to 10,000, say) so that it wouldn't look so deserted. Only the nearby teams will draw, unfortunately ... short-term air travel costs are just too high.

PostPosted: 08/10/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I imagine both sites will be east of the Mississippi most years. Or at least no farther west than Texas.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/10/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
I imagine both sites will be east of the Mississippi most years. Or at least no farther west than Texas.

Why not Vegas for a western site ?

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so then they could have one in Albany or Hartford every year and then rotate the other one from Chicago to Tennessee to Maryland to Texas... I don't see how this helps anything, makes it fairer, or enhances the experience of anybody.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

" a two-site, eight-team regional format by the 2023 championship"

I don't understand how this works. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/11/19 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
" a two-site, eight-team regional format by the 2023 championship"

I don't understand how this works. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

There will be two groups of 4 teams playing at the same site. Then the two winners will advance to the final four.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see if they play all four games at each site the same day or if it will be two from one regional and then two from the other regional on one day and the the other two games from each regional on the second day.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
linkster

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No big deal if you are a one team type fan. But for a wcbb fan the opportunity to see 4 great games at one site in 3 days is awesome. I can remember the days when the OBE tournament was at MSG. Nothing like getting the fans of a lot of different great teams together.

I would expect that a lot more sites and cities will be interested.

Last edited by linkster on 08/11/19 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
No big deal unless you are just a one team type fan. But for a wcbb fan the opportunity to see 4 great games at one site in 3 days is awesome. I can remember the days when the OBE tournament was at MSG. Nothing like getting the fans of a lot of different great teams together.

If there were a lot of WBB fans -- as opposed to fans of their schools -- the regionals would have done well without the need to consolidate. But Our Girls Syndrome still drives attendance, and interest.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
No big deal unless you are just a one team type fan. But for a wcbb fan the opportunity to see 4 great games at one site in 3 days is awesome. I can remember the days when the OBE tournament was at MSG. Nothing like getting the fans of a lot of different great teams together.

If there were a lot of WBB fans -- as opposed to fans of their schools -- the regionals would have done well without the need to consolidate. But Our Girls Syndrome still drives attendance, and interest.

Variations of OGS drive all revenue sports, amateur and pro. That and gambling. If pro football relied on just pure football fans the players (and the team owners) would be a lot poorer.
Do you think that it's just a coincidence that the 2 biggest college revenue sports, football and basketball are also the sports that draw the most gambling money?
If it wasn't for the OGS crowd in Connecticut Geno would be coaching at some snob school instead of UConn.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:

Variations of OGS drive all revenue sports, amateur and pro. That and gambling. If pro football relied on just pure football fans the players (and the team owners) would be a lot poorer.
Do you think that it's just a coincidence that the 2 biggest college revenue sports, football and basketball are also the sports that draw the most gambling money?
If it wasn't for the OGS crowd in Connecticut Geno would be coaching at some snob school instead of UConn.

Great point. I've always felt that the best thing that could happen to the WNBA was really promoting the gambling aspect ...

But that said, expecting that eight teams will result in a full arena, as opposed to four, is wishful thinking. On the other hand, it's probably a lot cheaper to rent one big arena for more hours than two separate arenas for fewer hours.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:

Great point. I've always felt that the best thing that could happen to the WNBA was really promoting the gambling aspect ...

But that said, expecting that eight teams will result in a full arena, as opposed to four, is wishful thinking. On the other hand, it's probably a lot cheaper to rent one big arena for more hours than two separate arenas for fewer hours.

I think you are certainly right that it won't lead to full arenas, etc. It is welcome news for me, though, as it seems like a great event to build a long weekend trip around.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/11/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:

I think you are certainly right that it won't lead to full arenas, etc. It is welcome news for me, though, as it seems like a great event to build a long weekend trip around.

Nice when you can do it. Sucks when you can't. I prefer the WNIT format, TYVM. Also the NCAA charges WAY too much and has dumb regulations re pep bands and the like.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

....and who, really, *benefits* from gambling?? Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/12/19 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so then they could have one in Albany or Hartford every year and then rotate the other one from Chicago to Tennessee to Maryland to Texas... I don't see how this helps anything, makes it fairer, or enhances the experience of anybody.

X__________________

PostPosted: 08/12/19 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Seems like a good move, but playing in the big arenas is going to lead to lots of empty seats no matter how many teams are there.

In some ways, I wish they'd go to smaller arenas (5,000 to 10,000, say) so that it wouldn't look so deserted. Only the nearby teams will draw, unfortunately ... short-term air travel costs are just too high.

I wish there could be some coordination with WNBA venues, especially with franchises that may be perceived as struggling.

For example, if Dallas and Chicago hosted WCBB regionals, perhaps the WNBA players from those cities could be in attendance, assisting with getting people to purchase WNBA season tickets.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/12/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Gambling creates greater interest. More people watching leads to increased TV revenue.

Mens sports gets billion dollar TV deals in no small part due to gambling.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/12/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Gambling creates greater interest. More people watching leads to increased TV revenue.

Of course. Not unlike the kingpin drug dealers who get richer and richer on the addict's blood. Many, many lives are trashed by gambling as a inconvenient-but-nasty byproduct of the industry.

PostPosted: 08/13/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Of course. Not unlike the kingpin drug dealers who get richer and richer on the addict's blood. Many, many lives are trashed by gambling as a inconvenient-but-nasty byproduct of the industry.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: