12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Sky
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was glad to see the Sky win. The Libs committed so many fouls that were not called against them in the 1st half. I enjoy watching Lavender on this team cause I don't like the Sparks. She had a good game and I always watched her when she was at Ohio State. I live in Ohio. When she was on the Sparks some of their fans complained about her. She is appreciated on the Sky team.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Someone made a point on Twitter that is still irks my soul...

Durr hasn't played all 4th quarter and you bring her in for the final 3 minutes cold? and you take Johannes out...I just can't take it anymore with this coach

Johannes will be a special player for us in the future, we just need a better coach to utilize her talent more. She is instant offense

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was planning to do so but didn't. I was stunned when I saw Durr enter the game in the 4th quarter for Johannes. Durr hadn't done much since the first quarter. Johannes hadn't missed a shot. Absurd.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Just to defend Smith a little, 'who gets shots' does often come down to players themselves wanting shots and looking for them. Sometimes that results in a greedy player taking more shots than they should, who then needs to be sat down or taught different approaches in practice. Or even just to someone like Charles taking on more of the offensive load than is good for her or the team. Durr really does have a tendency to disappear. She was on the floor for very nearly 10 minutes in the second half today, but I would've believed you if you'd told me she was sick at halftime and never came back out.

God knows I don't think Smith should still be in this job, but there are some things that aren't entirely her fault.

I find your statement baffling. You mention yourself that a "greedy player... needs to be sat down or taught different approaches in practice." Did Katie Smith sit down Bria Hartley tonight while she was taking 11 shots while Marine Johannes, who never missed, took only six?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Just to defend Smith a little, 'who gets shots' does often come down to players themselves wanting shots and looking for them. Sometimes that results in a greedy player taking more shots than they should, who then needs to be sat down or taught different approaches in practice. Or even just to someone like Charles taking on more of the offensive load than is good for her or the team. Durr really does have a tendency to disappear. She was on the floor for very nearly 10 minutes in the second half today, but I would've believed you if you'd told me she was sick at halftime and never came back out.

God knows I don't think Smith should still be in this job, but there are some things that aren't entirely her fault.

Believe me when I say this. I don’t know how much of Durr you saw at Louisville. She is not at all shy about shooting. If she touched the ball 5 times in the second half of this game I’d be surprised. Johannes shot nearly every time she touched the ball, which wasn’t much.

I defended her earlier this year. But what Bob is saying here is fact. Durr and Johannes are rarely primary options in what they run, particularly in the second half. Can’t even count how many times I’ve thought “wow Durr has barely touched the ball” after a strong first half.

This after seeing the same thing happen to Nurse last year. Either none of the rookies have learned the offense (doubt that) or Katie just will not trust rookies. I think it’s option B.

And either way, they gave up 101 freaking points. If the Liberty weren’t in the WNBA, not only would I be an Aces or Connecticut fan and probably much happier, but Chicago would average less than 80 points per game.

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

13 wins? Looks like the Sky just unofficially-officially made the 2019 WNBA Playoffs Twisted Evil

dab44lb

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Believe me when I say this. I don’t know how much of Durr you saw at Louisville. She is not at all shy about shooting. If she touched the ball 5 times in the second half of this game I’d be surprised. Johannes shot nearly every time she touched the ball, which wasn’t much.

I defended her earlier this year. But what Bob is saying here is fact. Durr and Johannes are rarely primary options in what they run, particularly in the second half. Can’t even count how many times I’ve thought “wow Durr has barely touched the ball” after a strong first half.

This after seeing the same thing happen to Nurse last year. Either none of the rookies have learned the offense (doubt that) or Katie just will not trust rookies. I think it’s option B.

And either way, they gave up 101 freaking points. If the Liberty weren’t in the WNBA, not only would I be an Aces or Connecticut fan and probably much happier, but Chicago would average less than 80 points per game.

Probably?!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dab44lb wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Probably?!!

😂

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Durr hasn't played all 4th quarter and you bring her in for the final 3 minutes cold? and you take Johannes out...I just can't take it anymore with this coach

Johannes will be a special player for us in the future, we just need a better coach to utilize her talent more. She is instant offense

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was planning to do so but didn't. I was stunned when I saw Durr enter the game in the 4th quarter for Johannes. Durr hadn't done much since the first quarter. Johannes hadn't missed a shot. Absurd.

I knew it was going to happen. Johannes turned the ball over and as soon as she did I said to my buddy, Durr is going to come in. Rookies have a very short leash when it comes to mistakes. Boyd on the other hand can make the same mistakes on offense and defense, sometimes in rapid succession, and nothing changes.

PostPosted: 08/07/19 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Of course I completely agree with all that you've said here.

As for learning the offense, have we seen a Liberty offense that's so complex and intricate that Nurse (last season) AND Durr (this season) AND Johannes (recently) haven't been able to learn it? Smile

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/07/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Dear Katie,
Xu needs to see minutes in every game.
Other than that, I'm loving your work.
Luuuc

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That said, getting the top lottery odds is still going to require work.

Forget maximising the odds. Too often that doesn't work out anyway. Just be in with a shot.

So true. I'm looking at you LAS VEGAS! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 08/08/19 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

I knew it was going to happen. Johannes turned the ball over and as soon as she did I said to my buddy, Durr is going to come in. Rookies have a very short leash when it comes to mistakes. Boyd on the other hand can make the same mistakes on offense and defense, sometimes in rapid succession, and nothing changes.

I gotta admit this, bec Allen is growing on me. Its because she actually can play defense, her offence will be inconsistent like her whole career but I would play her more due to the fact of her rebounding and defense. Those long arms causes a lot blocks and deflections

If i was Katie my starting 5 would be

Durr
Nurse
Allen
Charles
Zaui b

Just keep trying new ideas to see if something will stick, that's what Katie has to figure out cuz she has a bad feel for the game by her substitutions/rotations

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 08/08/19 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn’t watch the game but plan to at some point this week....

Wow:
NYL 26 fouls to CHI 9 fouls Shocked

NYL 5-8 from the line compared to CHI 26-31

Better shooting game percentage wise for Tina, nice to see.

I would have hoped given Katie’s defensive ability as a player she would have the instincts to instill a good system as a coach. Is it our personnel or lack of coaching or both?

Play Han Xu!
Give MJ more minutes and shots! Also Kia and Asia. Bria had 7 assists to 1 turnover but took the 3rd most shots and bricks so many.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/08/19 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
I didn’t watch the game but plan to at some point this week....

Wow:
NYL 26 fouls to CHI 9 fouls Shocked

NYL 5-8 from the line compared to CHI 26-31

Better shooting game percentage wise for Tina, nice to see.

I would have hoped given Katie’s defensive ability as a player she would have the instincts to instill a good system as a coach. Is it our personnel or lack of coaching or both?

Play Han Xu!
Give MJ more minutes and shots! Also Kia and Asia. Bria had 7 assists to 1 turnover but took the 3rd most shots and bricks so many.

And unlike the Dallas game where the Libs were held and hit all over the floor and whistled for the same type of contact, I thought this game was officiated pretty well. Probably my chief complaint about Katie is the Libs being last in FTA against two years in a row. If they haven’t figured this out by now, they aren’t going to.

Under Laimbeer in 2017, NY finished 3rd in the league in defense despite Stokes playing less than 20 mpg. Last year Stokes was even worse than 2017 and this year she hasn’t played at all. But even with that said, I seriously doubt the Liberty would be this bad defensively if Bill was the coach.

PostPosted: 08/08/19 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The big problem with NY's defense is that you can drive on them with impunity. If you don't make the basket, you will surely get fouled. And because they have so much trouble defending drives, you usually see like 3 defenders collapse on the ballhandler. That leaves wide-open shooters on the perimeter. Once opponents hit a couple of shots, and people start feeling it, then defending the perimeter becomes a problem too. Soon, NY players begin to panic and they start doing stupid stuff on offense. That leads to turnovers or quick shots, which in turn leads to one-and-done's. Before you know it, the whole process snowballs into a blow-out.

PostPosted: 08/08/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The big problem with NY's defense is that you can drive on them with impunity. If you don't make the basket, you will surely get fouled. And because they have so much trouble defending drives, you usually see like 3 defenders collapse on the ballhandler. That leaves wide-open shooters on the perimeter. Once opponents hit a couple of shots, and people start feeling it, then defending the perimeter becomes a problem too. Soon, NY players begin to panic and they start doing stupid stuff on offense. That leads to turnovers or quick shots, which in turn leads to one-and-done's. Before you know it, the whole process snowballs into a blow-out.

Well said. It's painful to watch.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/08/19 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, their post help defense is really really poor. Part of the problem is that neither Tina nor Zahui are good defenders...ok, frankly they are both terrible defensively. So even if you have a lights out half in terms of shooting, the shitty defense eventually comes back to haunt you.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky's 42 points in the fourth quarter is the most points scored by a single team in WNBA history since the league moved to a four-quarter format 13 years ago.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/08/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If the two teams switched coaches the Libs would have won by double digits. There’s only so much I can take of people not knowing who to guard or switching to total mismatches to accept it. The Kia Nurse defensive rebound at 4:42 of the fourth quarter exemplifies this. Nurse fouls Lavender and luckily gets the rebound but that’s not my issue. My issue is that at least 3 people are guarding the wrong people in transition. This happens way too often. Either not picking up people in transition or guarding the wrong people or switching to mismatches that don’t receive defensive help.

Oh and how many shot fakes did Quigley score on tonight? It seemed like 10. That’s what happens when your D is always scrambling to recover and close out. The season is over. At this rate we might win two games the rest of the year.

Pathetic. At least something good might come out of it on draft day but till then I’m emotionally done.

Join me on the tank train. It's a far more enjoyable ride when you look at everything in the context of sacrificing 2019 for the sake of entering 2020 with a lottery pick, a proper arena, and a proper coach.

For what it's worth, the Liberty can end up still making the players because other four teams below them suck.

Only three teams are beneath the Lib in the standings
My mistake. I don't know why I thought it was four teams beneath them. It's best of them to get on the tank train because I don't want any of the three teams that are currently ahead of them to be in the lottery.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/08/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's Minnesota who get to make the playoffs because of the four sucky teams propping them up. Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: