RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon 2019-2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/04/19 12:46 pm    ::: Oregon 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the HoopGurz top 100 ranking for 2020, I was impressed by the early and national recruiting success of Oregon.

Of the top 24 players, only 10 have committed to a school, 4 to Oregon.

Of the top 40 players, only 16 have committed, 5 to Oregon.

11. Sydney Parish, 6-0, G, IN
17. Kylee Watson, 6-3, F, NJ
23. Angela Dugalic, 6-4, F, IL
24. Maddie Scherr, 5-11, G, KY
40. Te-Hina Paopao, 5-9, PG, CA

Kelly Graves has certainly been able to get early 2020 commits and from all over the USA. In addition, he has his international recruiting expertise: This season's roster will have three players from Australia, two from Germany and one from England.

Of the 11 other early commits in the top 40 so far, UConn, Notre Dame and Stanford have two each.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/05/19 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon women’s basketball lands former 5-star Sedona Prince, 6-foot-7 transfer from Texas

So, if the 6-7 Prince gets immediate eligibility, Oregon this year will have her plus 6-6 Lydia Giomi, 6-5 Lucy Cochrane, 6-5 Nyara Sabally, 6-4 Ruthy Hebard, 6-4 Satou Sabally, 6-2 Erin Boley . . . and some kid who does triple doubles.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/06/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it might be time to start talking about Kelly Graves as a Hall of Fame coach. The resume is really impressive ...

Of course he has some advantages at Oregon, but there are coaches who have advantages and don't really find a way to use them.

The transfers of Prince and Moore are proof, I think, that the train isn't going to stop when Sabrina graduates. The Ducks and Stanford appear to be powerhouses for the next four years or so ... remember when the Pac-12 was an afterthought in women's basketball? No longer ...

PostPosted: 07/06/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oregon women’s basketball lands former 5-star Sedona Prince, 6-foot-7 transfer from Texas

So, if the 6-7 Prince gets immediate eligibility, Oregon this year will have her plus 6-6 Lydia Giomi, 6-5 Lucy Cochrane, 6-5 Nyara Sabally, 6-4 Ruthy Hebard, 6-4 Satou Sabally, 6-2 Erin Boley . . . and some kid who does triple doubles.

They need that size to compete against in-state rival Oregon State.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 07/06/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think it might be time to start talking about Kelly Graves as a Hall of Fame coach. The resume is really impressive ...

I would slow my roll there partner. I would say a few more final fours (and consistency) will get him there. And we'll have to see how these classes actually perform once they're on the court.

My concern is that last time he recruited these many players, you started seeing some transfer out. There is only so much playing time available.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/06/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

They need that size to compete against in-state rival Oregon State.

Yes, that rivalry in the land of redwoods will be gargantuan.

Too bad for UConn fans. If Sedona had transferred to Storrs, this could have been Geno with his starting lineup next season.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/06/19 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I would slow my roll there partner. I would say a few more final fours (and consistency) will get him there. And we'll have to see how these classes actually perform once they're on the court.

Only time can tell....he's not exactly a young turk, but he's certainly laid down a roadmap that leads to the HOF if promise holds true for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

fancy_daniel wrote:
My concern is that last time he recruited these many players, you started seeing some transfer out. There is only so much playing time available.

I'd say his transfers 'out' currently dim in contrast to his transfers 'in'. Minyon might just be the potential final rung on their ladder to The Top, much like Chloe Jackson gave Baylor that li'l bit of extra oomph when needed. Cool

PostPosted: 07/07/19 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona talks about her injury, her recovery process and prospects, and the fact that she'd like to play right away.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Sedona-Prince-pushing-to-play-immediately-at-Oregon-133463904

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/07/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Sedona talks about her injury, her recovery process and prospects, and the fact that she'd like to play right away.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Sedona-Prince-pushing-to-play-immediately-at-Oregon-133463904

“For me, my medical was what wrong at Texas. I was trying to find a place where I felt comfortable and can live for the next four years and be and where my career and health will be the best... It's kind of a perfect fit. I’m happy to be a Duck."

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/07/19 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does it then make sense, that having dealt with Quacks in Texas, she now goes to a college known for Quacks?

PostPosted: 07/08/19 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

just to be clear: Oregon has no redwoods except in the far SW corner, far away from UO or OSU. But there are lots of firs and they are pretty tall (well over 200 feet tall)!

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 07/08/19 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

just to be clear: Oregon has no redwoods except in the far SW corner, far away from UO or OSU. But there are lots of firs and they are pretty tall (well over 200 feet tall)!

But Oregon has YOU, Myrtle....You are The Redwood Giantess of Basketball Wisdom and Acumen, so it's all good. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/09/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A flock of ducks are waddling towards a pond. Two of the more mature ducks are exchanging words. One says to the other " my instincts tell me it will soon be winter." The other answers back " my instincts tell me that we should start to head south before the week is over." One of the younger duck looks at the one next to him and says " My end stinks too, but it don't tell me nothing. "

PostPosted: 08/04/19 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said this as a related reply in the transfers thread, but feel like it could be brought here in rehashed form for discussion:

2019-2020 will be about Ionescu, Hebard, and the legacy they'll leave. Only upperclassmen + N. Sabally & Chavez get regular minutes. The true freshmen should already know that playing time will be hard to come by. Maybe some do an academic redshirt. This will technically be Boley's fourth year in college (redshirt junior), and I somewhat doubt Oregon contends the following year due to losing the players it'll lose, so maybe this too will be her last year at Oregon, via grad-transferring or turning pro early (sorta like Jackie Young at Notre Dame this past season deciding she didn't want to be part of a rebuilding year for her senior year)

2020-2021 is when that 2016-size freshman class rolls in, and the freshmen/sophomores will play their way into either starting roles, the bench rotation, or scrubs.

I think Oregon will see a sprinkling of transfers the next two years, and then by the spring of 2021 it'll start to see them in hordes. Players will begin to realize they'll be at an uphill battle to be a starter/heavy contributor and thus transfer out, and then the following year more players will follow suit as well, and maybe so on. This is sort of how it works once a program reaches that upper echelon where it can attract any talent in the country... Oregon in particular due to essentially being a direct byproduct of Nike.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/04/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's always interesting when you have a lot of talent on the same roster ...

On the one hand, good players like to play with other good players, in nice facilities with a quality coach.

On the other, good players like to play, not watch.

But as transferring becomes easier (anyone who can afford a lawyer has a real good shot at immediate eligibility), it's worth it to go to a place like Oregon and see how it works out. If it doesn't, go somewhere else ...

PostPosted: 08/04/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

On the one hand, good players like to play with other good players, in nice facilities with a quality coach.

But as transferring becomes easier (anyone who can afford a lawyer has a real good shot at immediate eligibility), it's worth it to go to a place like Oregon and see how it works out. If it doesn't, go somewhere else ...

Do you have any actual evidence about this repeated lawyer claim?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/04/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at how certain players are granted eligibility and others are not ...

I know of one case for sure but I really don't want to put the name out in public, for reasons that would become clear. If you want to email me at claykallam@gmail.com, I will provide the details as I know them.

PostPosted: 08/04/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon is currently an "it" destination for elite players; considering the coaching part of the equation, I seriously doubt Kelly is one to blow smoke at players with, "Oh, yer gonna be a star/starter/impact player right away!", and then ignore them.

Likewise, with an influx of high quality players (and the recruits know this) he has the luxury of *pushing* (as opposed to coddling) to get the best out of them, for the sake of the team's improvement: if some don't meet the standard, then--he will gladly grant their release, if that's their wish.

What's to be critical of? Confused

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/05/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bandwagon jumping. Wink

PostPosted: 08/05/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Here's what one of those good players, 2020 PG Caitlin Clark (who eliminated Oregon from her list of schools) who likes to play had to say about that:

All three schools (Iowa, Iowa St, Notre Dame) plan for her to play right away, Clark said.

"And I think that’s been one of the biggest things for me in the whole recruiting process," she added. "I never wanted to go somewhere and sit down. Obviously, you’re going to have to go and work your butt off just to get playing time — I don't want anything given to me. But you definitely have to look at the roster and see, 'Are there other point guards there? Who do they have in the recruiting class already?'"

Howee

PostPosted: 08/06/19 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally understandable, kids wanting to play right away.

Much rarer is the gem who understands the value of 'learning' from a freshman year of NOT being the star, e.g., Baylor's standout and #1 recruit, Lauren Cox. She was limited in her freshman year by various factors, but publically stated she was grateful for the *easing-in* time.

Either perspective is understandable, as long as the kid is mature enough to accept the ultimate pros AND cons of their choice.

PostPosted: 08/11/19 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Here's what one of those good players, 2020 PG Caitlin Clark (who eliminated Oregon from her list of schools) who likes to play had to say about that:

All three schools (Iowa, Iowa St, Notre Dame) plan for her to play right away, Clark said.

"And I think that’s been one of the biggest things for me in the whole recruiting process," she added. "I never wanted to go somewhere and sit down. Obviously, you’re going to have to go and work your butt off just to get playing time — I don't want anything given to me. But you definitely have to look at the roster and see, 'Are there other point guards there? Who do they have in the recruiting class already?'"

sounds intelligent to me. I often wonder if kids bother to look at it from this angle.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

sounds intelligent to me. I often wonder if kids bother to look at it from this angle.

The difficulty is that everyone believes they're better than they actually are, and a high school/club star usually thinks she will step right in and start, especially if her high school/club coaches have told her how wonderful she is for the past five years.

PostPosted: 09/01/19 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon women’s basketball forward Nyara Sabally retears ACL

Quote:
Nyara Sabally, the younger sister of Ducks small forward Satou Sabally, tore her surgically-repaired right anterior cruciate ligament and will likely miss the 2019-20 season.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/01/19 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's just heartbreaking for the kid. Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: