RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/11/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot forgot trades I could see Dallas take Harris but I don't see Cooper in Conn.

Yeah I think LA and PX improve a lot in the 2nd half of the season. But tbh Minn could too And LA and PX could stay middle of the road.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/20/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XAiDqeCVJvg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/20/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty get a player like Carter next year (if she comes out) then its time to cut ties with Tina Charles. It just won't work with a ball dominating guard who shoots first.

Exciting player but I rather get Miss Sabrina or Miss Lauren

I really like her teammate Kayla Wells on Texas A&M very telanted wing can stretch the floor, long and athletic too

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/20/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily a big Chennedy Carter fan, and I would certainly take Ionesco and Cox first. However, I think fans are going overboard in assuming Carter would definitely be a gunner at the next level. Her shots per game last season were slightly less than what Plum took as a senior. Plum has not been a chucker as a pro. Furthermore, folks are assuming a rookie will come in and do what she likes, ignoring people with the stature of Katie Smith, Tina Charles, and Tanisha Wright (assuming she's here in some capacity). I don't think that will happen, and if it does Carter will get benched until she sees the light. I would also point out that Chennedy has been on three Team USA squads. USA Basketball has never been shy about leaving people off their team at any level. There are plenty of other good young players available, so I don't think they would put Carter on three teams if they thought she was a disruptive influence.

I'd prefer a more well-rounded player than Carter. However, New York would be foolish to not take her if she is the best player available, especially since Chennedy fits a positional need. As far as NY's post-dominated offense goes, I'd be happy to see it replaced. With effective outside shooters in Nurse, Durr, Johannes, and a new PG (if we get one), plus Tina's declining accuracy, there's no need to run that limited, predictable offense. I think it's the reason NY keeps getting blown out and has lost every rematch game this season except for one. And that particular win against LA falls into the fluke category owing to an outlier performance by Zahui (7-8 3pt shooting, 37 points).

PostPosted: 07/20/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gut instinct has told me that Sabrina will end up in NY for a while, and I hope so. The market is huge and the Liberty need to be contenders for the good of the league as a whole. I also think out of the 4 teams currently out of the playoffs, it’s the best fit.

Also would be nice to see Cox land in Dallas to build a core with SDS and Arike. Kaila Charles to ATL to be mentored by Angel, Alarie or Mompremier to IND. That’s how I see it right now, but none of those things will happen.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/20/19 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The odds are in New York's favor to land the #1 pick followed by Indiana. Indiana is a team that would benefit by taking Cox over Ionescu. Same with Dallas. So unless Atlanta gets the #1 pick, I still see New York getting Ionescu.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/20/19 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am all in on Ionescu in NY but

if we land out of the top 2 or even slip into the playoffs I am getting more interested in Mompremier, NY desperately needs another star post, not saying she is one but Mompremier might be? If were at 5 or 6 would be fine with Charles or Martin (I still think Joyner Holmes kills it this season and vaults up the board but she overlaps with Tina too much at PF, while Mompremier is a true center, I like Hebard also but like Anigwe she will be more of a pf size at the next level).

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/21/19 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure if any of those draft-eligible players are true centers at the WNBA level. Of course, it depends on how the team wants to play. If you want to be more of an athletic and/or skills team that goes smaller, then maybe. Anyway, this is how USA Basketball lists the "bigs":

Lauren Cox, Forward, 6-4, 185
Beatrice Mompremier, Forward, 6-4. 180
Ruthy Hebard, Forward-Center, 6-4, 170
Joyner Holmes, Guard-Forward, 6-3, 195
Bella Alarie, Guard-Forward, 6-5, 165

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Mompremier was another 6' 6" post oh well

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's an overall lack of centers in the 2020 draft. Hebert's the only potential center worth taking in the first round. Cox & Mompremier are more natural PFs. Other potential centers in the draft are Brittany Brewer(Texas Tech) & Kayla Cooper-Williams(James Madison).

Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
There's an overall lack of centers in the 2020 draft. Hebert's the only potential center worth taking in the first round. Cox & Mompremier are more natural PFs.

Not sure about “natural”. She was Baylor’s starting center as a freshman.

toad455 wrote:
Other potential centers in the draft are Brittany Brewer(Texas Tech) & Kayla Cooper-Williams(James Madison).

Must have pulled these names out of a hat. I don’t think too many GM’s are going to get too excited about a 6’2 mid-major center.

If you think you needed a center, the last draft was one to grab one.
If you passed on a McCowan and chose a mopey SG instead when you’re already flush with guards and this draft is back to being more guard-heavy, I’d say that’s poor planing. And you probably didn’t really realize what you had in Johannes. In hindsight, if you could do the 2019 draft differently, would you?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
There's an overall lack of centers in the 2020 draft. Hebert's the only potential center worth taking in the first round. Cox & Mompremier are more natural PFs.

Not sure about “natural”. She was Baylor’s starting center as a freshman.

toad455 wrote:
Other potential centers in the draft are Brittany Brewer(Texas Tech) & Kayla Cooper-Williams(James Madison).

Must have pulled these names out of a hat. I don’t think too many GM’s are going to get too excited and a 6’2 mid-major center.

If you think you need a center, the last draft was one to grab one.

They might depending on needs. Brewer and Cooper-Williams are just third round fliers, doubt they stick. But it just proves my point that any team in need of a post better get one in the first round. It also shows how weak this draft will be.

Available posts for 2020:
Lauren Cox, Baylor, 6'4"
Beatrice Mompremier, Miami, 6'4"
Ruthy Hebert, Oregon, 6'4"
Ae'Rianna Harris, Purdue, 6'1"
Stephanie Jones, Maryland, 6'2"
Taiye Bello, Minnesota, 6'2"
Kylee Shook, Louisville, 6'4"
Ayana Mitchell, LSU, 6'2"
Summer Hemphill, Buffalo, 6'1"
Nadia Fingall, Stanford, 6'3"
Brittany Brewer, Texas Tech, 6'5"
Kayla Cooper-Williams, James Madison, 6'2"

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/22/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just took a look at Brittany Brewer and I was sort of impressed. She moves decently for 6-5, and Brewer is a serviceable 3pt shooter (33-99 34.3%). She looks like a taller Megan Huff, who went early 3rd Round this year. Given the weaker 2020 Draft and Brewer's better size, I'd say mid-2nd Round right now. She still has her whole senior year to improve. Playing at Texas Tech, Brewer can get lost in the shuffle so it's worth keeping tabs on her.

Scrutinizing Brewer's numbers more closely, she beat Kalani Brown in points, rebounds, and blocks. She beat Lauren Cox in points, rebounds. and 3pt shooting. This while playing in the same conference. Shocked

PostPosted: 07/22/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Cox is a four, and Hebard concerns me because of her lack of range and the fact she benefits from being a team that shoots from three so very well -- and of course had two elite passers in Cazorla and Ionescu.

Of course, Hebard could still be a solid WNBA player though I didn't think she was really 6-4, though.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think Cox is a four, and Hebard concerns me because of her lack of range and the fact she benefits from being a team that shoots from three so very well -- and of course had two elite passers in Cazorla and Ionescu.

Of course, Hebard could still be a solid WNBA player though I didn't think she was really 6-4, though.

Hebard is a power forward imo. She plays the 5 at Oregon because of necessity. Her lack of an outside shot is concerning.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think the same for Cox. She will be perfect playing the 4 alongside a big center. I think she would fit great with McCowen in Indiana, for example.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/22/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think the same for Cox. She will be perfect playing the 4 alongside a big center. I think she would fit great with McCowen in Indiana, for example.

I thought Cox would have been ideal next A'ja Wilson in Vegas, well before the Cambage trade. While she was not part of this year's draft, that would have been the best fit, IMHO.

That being said, being next to McCowan would be another great situation, as Lauren has worked with another big on high-low sets and facilitating from the outside.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/24/19 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two-year record tallies as of 7/24/19
SEA 38-17
WAS 34-18
CON 34-19
PHX 30-22
LAS 30-23
MIN 28-26
ATL 28-26|14 games remaining. Current 10.4% chance at #1; 14.5% chance at #2
LVA 27-26
CHI 24-29
DAL 20-33|15 games remaining. Current 17.8% chance at #1; 23.0% chance at #2
NYL 15-38|15 games remaining. Current 27.6% chance at #1; 31.0% chance at #2
IND 12-43|13 games remaining. Current 44.2% chance at #1; 31.5% chance at #2

Current lottery team

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/25/19 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hello! Stormeo here, I guess. Male young-ish millennial Storm fan/general league supporter. Not very tech-savvy, and I come with hot takes at times, so bear with me! Twisted Evil Maybe it's because this season's been sort of a crapshow both on and off the court that I felt inspired to post after longtime lurking. And who knows how normal next season will be due to the imminent CBA negotiations, but that's a problem for the winter! We’re at the All-Star break now, so I feel like sharing my current 2020 first-round mock draft, just to add to the conversation. It assumes the current standings, pick trades, and the likeliest lottery team order. I'm on draftsite under the same username if anyone ever wants to see my ranking of senior prospects; I try to keep them current. Please let me know of any single detail I get even remotely wrong! These days I’m pretty anti-misinformation… Anyways, I'll get to it here in the next post.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/25/19 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Indiana – G Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, 5’11 – BPA. To me, a true SG that could learn to be a WNBA PG over time. Would be a clear upgrade over K. Mitchell in the backcourt as it stands. Her 3-point shooting and legendary passing will translate. Still, maybe not the best fit for a team that is already good offensively but god-awful defensively, but she’s too special a player not to pick and build around, and I doubt the Fever trade this pick if nothing but for marketing reasons (would be Indiana's first-ever #1 Pick).
2. New York – F/C Lauren Cox, Baylor, 6’4 – BPA. Can pass, shoot, rebound, block shots, be physical; clear Top-2 Pick. Would still likely come off the bench unless she can beat out starter Zahui B. If New York chooses to instead address bigger needs at PG and SF, it could trade down for a pick + something else… DAL and ATL are obvious candidates that could use help in the post and in part send their own lottery pick. Or maybe once 2019 is over, Charles decides to ring-chase and demands a trade back out of her hometown (she sure isn't getting any younger, huh Sad ). CHI, MIN, SEA, PHO, WAS (reuniting with Thibault) could all be fits with enough assets to send over in return.
3. Dallas – F/G Kaila Charles, Maryland, 6’1 – BPA. Projects to be a more talented version of Kayla Thornton. Shows an ability to take over a game. No three-point shot yet, but everything else seems to be there. Higher ceiling to me than someone like Hebard, but I could see Hebard picked here, too. I'd say Dallas has a lot to clean up within its post personnel, but that kind of applies to the entire team Embarassed
4. Atlanta – PG Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut, 5’5 – Best fit. Atlanta needs over anything else a PG upgrade, as Montgomery and Bentley have been the frontrunners for the title of Biggest Individual Team-Killer for this year’s Dream (way too many candidates to choose from tbh). Dangerfield’s not yet worthy of a lottery pick, she’ll have to have a much more consistent senior year than she's shown, but putting her here means I think she will. UCONN pedigree helps. Deadly 3-point shooter when she's on. Should Atlanta bench Montgomery and not re-sign Bentley (she is supposedly a free agent after 2019’s over), Dangerfield is the best available PG here to develop unless Texas A&M’s Chennedy Carter not only early-declares, but is still available at this pick...
5. Minnesota – C/F Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, 6’4 – Best fit. Reeve will be intrigued enough by not only Hebard’s qualities as a workhorse and finisher around the rim, but also the rumor that she has a 3-point shot that she just doesn't utilize within her role at Oregon. The Lynx just as well could have a hole at PF in 2020 depending on the statuses of Dantas (Olympic year), Shepard (ACL recovery), and… Brunson?? Could also replace Fagbenle.
6. Phoenix – C/F Beatrice Mompremier, Miami (FL), 6’4 – BPA and best fit. Provides much needed rebounding, could learn from Griner how to finish better around the rim. Makes sense given Little’s retirement and Lyttle possibly following suit. Could also pick a PG (Australian connection with Mangakahia?) given all the main ball handlers on this team are, uhh, kinda old Laughing
7. Seattle – G/F Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State, 5’10 – Best fit. Storm has the talent already, just needs to get healthy and get more pieces. The local product could directly replace Zellous as a physical player who can run some point, rebound, defend, and maybe even shoot (I’d like to see if Pivec as a senior takes more 3's while still at over 40%, in particular). Could see this pick traded for a young player with experience.
8. Chicago – F(/G) Joyner Holmes, Texas, 6’3 – Curveball? Might be high, but this is Chicago we’re talking about. Lots of potential being unrealized at a program like Texas Confused True WNBA PF; would give the Sky a post player with some handles, something the team doesn’t really yet have. (Although it should be noted that fwiw, the Texas 2019-2020 roster now lists Holmes as a "Forward" rather than a "Guard/Forward", which she was listed as last year Question )
9. Connecticut (from LAS) – F(/G) Bella Alarie, Princeton, 6’4 – BPA, best fit, curveball? Already some comparisons to Delle Donne (Bella [Delle] Donne!), though it’s without the documented history at a top program (UCONN), so she won’t be a lottery pick. Haven’t seen enough of her play to get a feel, but I like most of her junior-year stats other than 3-point %, but I think she improves those numbers enough to get her picked here. Could replace any one of the Sun’s underachieving posts (Tuck, B. Jones). Possible steal…
10. Washington – PG Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse/Australia, 5’6 – Best fit. I predict her cancer treatment doesn’t slow her down too much for her senior year, and she comes back to put up stats similar enough to her junior year. Toliver will retire someday, Mystics like the 3-ball, and out of all the PG prospects still available, Mangakahia is one of the few that has one.
11. Dallas (from LVA) – G/F Kitija Laksa, South Florida/Latvia, 6’0 – Best fit, but also curveball at the same time? Sat out her senior year (ACL), left USF a year early and turned pro anyway. Dallas probably should take a post here if it doesn’t get Cox in the lottery, but Agler likes international players with experience and Dallas still needs shooting. I mean, I don't think Dallas should take two perimeter players with its two first-round picks, but I also could see this pick getting traded in a package deal (maybe to move up in the order and get an Ionescu or Cox?).
12. Connecticut – G/F Tynice Martin, West Virginia, 5’11 – BPA. I kind of see her as a taller Riquna Williams with her skillset, explosiveness, and physicality. I think she improves her shooting percentages just enough to get picked here. Possible steal, as her game looks like it would translate better than most into this league. Would likely replace Banham as a burst-of-energy guard off the bench.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/25/19 4:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious about Kitija Laksa, is she eligible to be drafted?

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/25/19 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

My guess is yes. Laksa still had college eligibility, but she never declared for the draft. She's probably like Diamond DeShields and Epihanny Prince, an NCAA player who turned pro without having been available for the draft. Therefore, she would have to be draft-eligible at least once before becoming a free agent.

PostPosted: 07/25/19 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
toad455 wrote:

My guess is yes. Laksa still had college eligibility, but she never declared for the draft. She's probably like Diamond DeShields and Epihanny Prince, an NCAA player who turned pro without having been available for the draft. Therefore, she would have to be draft-eligible at least once before becoming a free agent.

I agree. She wasn't available in 2019, so has to now be draft-eligible for 2020. Same as DeShields.

PostPosted: 07/26/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former USF hoops star Kitija Laksa turns pro
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2019/07/26/former-usf-hoops-star-kitija-laksa-turns-pro/

Quote:
Former Bulls women’s basketball standout Kitija Laksa finally provided clarity to her blurry basketball future, confirming via Twitter she has signed a one-year deal with a pro club in her native Latvia.

Quote:
Initially, she left the door open for a possible return to USF for a final season, but announced in mid-May she had chosen to “close this chapter” with the Bulls and “pursue new challenges.”

At that point, most presumed the 6-foot senior ―who graduated from USF ― would turn pro, but Laksa stunned USF’s fan base by entering the NCAA’s transfer portal.

But Friday’s news shuts the door on her college career.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/03/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martin Suspended Indefinitely
https://www.wvillustrated.com/top-stories/martin-suspended-indefinitely/

Quote:
Less than 24 hours before the WVU women’s basketball team is scheduled to depart for its overseas trip, the program announced senior guard Tynice Martin has been suspended indefinitely due to a violation of team rules.

Martin averaged 17.4 points per game last season. She played in 17 contests after recovering from a foot injury.

She played in all 35 games during her sophomore campaign, averaging 18.6 points per game.

Martin amassed 1309 total points through three seasons with the Mountaineers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 4 of 59

Jump to: