RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mo'Nique Messing Up Her Oscar Chances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 10/05/09 2:33 pm    ::: Mo'Nique Messing Up Her Oscar Chances Reply Reply with quote

Breakout star MoNique isnt considered that precious by executives at Lionsgate, which produced her forthcoming film. In fact, insiders are saying the 41-year-old comedians bad attitude and shameless demands for money may jeopardize her chance for Oscar glory - all this before the highly anticipated movie opens on Nov. 6.

The star was MIA Saturday night at the New York Film Festival premiere of the buzzworthy flick Precious. She also allegedly ditched her promotional duties during the Toronto Film Festival when she was denied a $100,000 appearance fee.

That money didnt even include hair and makeup costs. She also demanded that her glam squad fly first class, sniped an incredulous industry source. Apparently, shes ignorant as to how the Hollywood system works.

According to our snitch, exasperated studio chiefs suggested that executive producer Oprah Winfrey get involved to deflate MoNiques substantial ego, but even O couldnt stop the actress from seeing green.

MoNique said she signed on to do this film for a small amount of money. She said she didnt care about no Oscar - all that mattered was those Benjamins! Because Oprah and Tyler Perry are backing the film, she feels as though there should be a budget to pay for her promotional duties, the source explains.

But the stars attitude is starting to work against her. Winfrey and Tyler have reportedly instructed Lionsgate to put their promotional machine behind fellow stars Mariah Carey and Gabby Sidibe for the Oscar race. Those two are adept at playing the game; both turned up in New York and Toronto to push the film for free (although Carey, left, was 30 minutes late to Saturdays Alice Tully Hallpremiere and entered to boos from the audience in response to her tardiness).

When people say, You care more about money than winning an Oscar, well, what does an Oscar mean? An Oscar means more work when you win it, and that means more money! retorts MoNique in response to the allegations. I couldnt eat that Oscar. Everybody needs money, baby. Thats how we survive, right?

I DID notice Moniques absence when I was at the Toronto Film Festival a few weeks ago. The answer given to press for her absence was She wanted to spend some time with her children. But no one believed she would miss a press opportunity like that, children or not. I guess this explains it all!! My advice to Monique is dont rock the boat. This role really helped put her over the top. Once she wins that Oscar shell be able to write her own meal ticket for the rest of her career.

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/05/09 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I appreciate her comment, "I can't eat that Oscar!" However, IF YOU DID THE ROLE FOR PESOS, LIVE WITH YOUR DECISION.

gpark33

PostPosted: 10/05/09 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I find the craziness of promoting it somewhat amusing, can I just switch gears for a second and say, I absolutely can't wait to see this movie?!

PostPosted: 10/05/09 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
While I find the craziness of promoting it somewhat amusing, can I just switch gears for a second and say, I absolutely can't wait to see this movie?!

Have you read the book (Push) that the movie is based from? It's more dramatic than the movie. It's a fucking migraine headache.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 10/05/09 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grandma always use to say,"be ready for your blessing" Some people just ain't ready. If she has a role that some think is Oscar worthy, she needs to be on it. Shit on the studio, and you might not ever hear Oscar and your name in the same sentence again. SMH..... Some people just ain't ready

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
ddubdawg

PostPosted: 10/05/09 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hell you might never ever work again. I hate to say I am not surprised by the behavior, but she signed a contract to do a role and if that wasn't enough money for the role now, then she made the mistake then. And I am sure she would not have to pay anything to be flown all over the damn place to promote the movie. Sorry her glam squad isn't included, but if she would just do what the studio was asking, she would probably make a heck of a lot more benjamins in the future because of being more widely known. I cannot really judge though, I have done a movie. I am geeked to see it though.

Scarab

PostPosted: 10/06/09 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero please post the source (link/url) of this story.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read this a couple of days ago too. Don't get me wrong, I love MoNique and I like her new talk show. But IF this is true she needs to drop the diva quick. Ok, so the role didn't give you much money but you signed on to play the part. That is your problem. You can't eat an Oscar, but what comes with being nominated could get you a whole lot for the future.

You also don't get paid for pressers at all. You do the pressers to promote the movie. That is not something that is paid for. This isn't the way you act and she better hope it doesn't come to bite her in the ass.

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
Grandma always use to say,"be ready for your blessing" Some people just ain't ready. If she has a role that some think is Oscar worthy, she needs to be on it. Shit on the studio, and you might not ever hear Oscar and your name in the same sentence again. SMH..... Some people just ain't ready

Piss off the studio enough and you won't get cast again in anything, period. Every year there are a lot of people nominated for Oscars. The talent isn't exactly in short supply. "Talent" is not nearly as important to them as "manageable."

PostPosted: 10/06/09 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
gpark33 wrote:

Have you read the book (Push) that the movie is based from? It's more dramatic than the movie. It's a fucking migraine headache.

No, I didn't even realize it was based on a book! I might have to check that out before this comes out.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
No, I didn't even realize it was based on a book! I might have to check that out before this comes out.

What she goes through in the book is so much worse! You will have to read the book in the daytime.

Set in Harlem in 1987, Precious Jones lives with her mother, an invalid, and her father, a drug addict. She is obese, illiterate, and pregnant with her second child. She clearly explains in the beginning of the novel that she has been repeatedly raped by her father since she was 7, and is pregnant with her second child by him. Her father is married to someone else and living with Precious mother, who lives off of public assistance and social security checks she receives for Precious first child, "Lil' Mongo", who has Down Syndrome and lives with Precious grandmother. Precious cooks, cleans, and waits on her mother constantly.

As the novel begins, Precious is summoned to the guidance counselor's office. The school has decided that she drop out and enter the "Each One Teach One" adult GED program. Precious is furious, but the counselor later visits Precious home and convinces her to enter the GED program. Precious apprehensively enters the new school, meeting her teacher, Ms. Blue Rain, and fellow students: Rhonda, Jermaine, Rita, Jo Ann, and Consuelo. They learn to read and write from the ground up, and are taught the alphabet and phonetics. Reading picture books and writing in journals, each girl journals back and forth with Ms. Rain, who provides feedback and advice for the girls. By the time the novel ends, the women create an anthology of auto-biographical short stories and read The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

As Precious progresses through her GED program, she comes to the realization that her home life is not the place to raise her son, Abdul. With the help of her counselor, Ms. Weiss, she enters a shelter, where she has all of her things stolen. She eventually finds herself in a halfway house where she is comfortable and able to go to school while leaving her son with someone that she trusts.

While in the halfway house, Precious joins an incest support group where she meets other people who have suffered, finding solace in knowing that she is not alone. While attempting to transition to life on her own, Precious' mother unexpectedly appears to tell her that her father has died from AIDS. Precious discusses this with her friends at school and they convince her to get Abdul and herself tested. Abdul is negative and Precious is positive. In the end, Precious finds her freedom and security in knowing that she can care for her son and herself on her own.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/06/09 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one ever accused her of being overly bright?

Forget pissing off the studio system...the woman's ticking off OPRAH!!!!
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="595" height="335" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sM5ao6JsgMQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaetQqevwoM

PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somehow late last night I stumbled from Twitter I believe onto one of those gossip pages of the most difficult stars to work with etc. I don't know how true any of it was but it was very detailed and while each profile was unique it all sounded like the kind of stuff that was shared around the bar at the restaurants I worked at in Beverly Hills etc. I can't think of one thing I ever heard back then that didn't turn out being true. Anyway, what struck me is that as I scrolled down, more and more celebs just kept appearing. I mean, it got to the point where I stopped reading and was just trying to get to the bottom of the page so I knew I'd gotten to the end of it. But there was no end to it. Shocked And that too is information.

Back to Twitter. If you have show business heroes and you follow them on Twitter, and they're political, which is to say, by default, vehemently anti-Trump, I don't know how you can't see who those people really are. Put together what you might read in the kind of gossip pages you might find like the one I stumbled onto last night, along with the shit these people tweet, and even factoring in that Trump and politics itself might naturally bring out the worst in people, I still would not be able to understand anyone who admires a celebrity.

Celebrities are perfectly representative of how warped humans are. They are evil. Greedy. Absolute liars. They have an abject hatred towards the public which is really evident in watching them punch straight downwards back into middle America. And that includes political celebrities, i.e. politicians and the news media. So when Monique talks about inequality? If she was called difficult in this industry then I would agree with her in saying the only reason she acquired that rep in this business is the color of her skin.

I mean, as others have said, we're about five years out from The Hunger Games. Maybe sooner.

Steve Harvey freaks me out. On some points I wholeheartedly agree with him. The best thing you can do for poor people is not be one of them. Sounds strange, and IS, unless you come from way down there yourselves. I've always said that the best thing I can do for my parents and their lives and their hard work and sacrifices, is climb as high as I can economically. And fuck anyone who thinks otherwise. On the other hand, his statement at the end that he (or "we") can't let "integrity" get in the way of making the big bucks? lol. Even as aggressively unforgiving financially as living in California can be, if Steve Harvey doesn't have enough money to speak the truth then he's doing something wrong or his expectations have grown too extravagant. He should at least be worth $50M.

ETA. Googled Steve Harvey's net worth, don't know how accurate this sort of thing is but it says he's worth $140M.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/15/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/15/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That video was of a sellout coming face to face with someone who didn’t get the memo. And the fucking audience was applauding and cheering him like he was giving the ‘I Have a Dream’ speech. Again. Hollywood = Hunger Games. We’ve reached our final destination. But you can’t get off.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
That video was of a sellout coming face to face with someone who didn’t get the memo. And the fucking audience was applauding and cheering him like he was giving the ‘I Have a Dream’ speech. Again. Hollywood = Hunger Games. We’ve reached our final destination. But you can’t get off.

Whelp. I was going to tweet the above... but then I see black twitter got this one. Cool

PostPosted: 07/24/19 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="473" height="266" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OmVpZfWmvjg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/OmVpZfWmvjg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: