RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor 2019-2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:11 am    ::: Baylor 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Barring outgoing transfers, Kim has a spectacular core returning to fuel another run to a possible Final Four. The Bears were the deepest team in this year's final four and that quality depth should keep them in the upper echelon next season.

Kalani Browns loss is substantial, but the post is where the Bears are at their best and they should have a very diversified array of talents with Cox, Egbo, and Smith down low. Cod is such a great facilitator in the post and should help make the other two even better.

Heading into last season, the? For the Bears was at the point guard position with the uncertainty involved with Alexis Morris. Billy answer that question by bringing in transfer Chloe Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kim take a similar route again this season. Haven't seen much of Honesty Scott Grayson to know if she is able to take on the quarterback responsibilities of this team and get them to perform at a high-level.

Finally, I'm anxious to see DeCosta make more of an impact on this team.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey to Appear on ABC’s Good Morning America Thursday

https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/4/9/womens-basketball-mulkey-to-appear-on-abcs-good-morning-america-thursday.aspx?path=wbball

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lucky Baylor. The punk-in-chief doesn't invite WBB champions to 1600 Pennsylvania for Big Macs and fries.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cox is healthy, I think the post area is solid, even though it'll be different moving from Brown to Smith.

I do wish Kim had given the frosh a bit more opportunity to play. Part of her philosophy is that she really doesn't trust freshmen much. From everything I've read, Grayson has been slowed down by her injury all year but they are expecting her to take a pretty big leap forward next year.

If Cox is healthy and the freshmen take something close to the step up that Richards did this year, BU will be in the battle for the top spot. Knees worry the heck out of me though.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mulkey to Appear on ABC’s Good Morning America Thursday

https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/4/9/womens-basketball-mulkey-to-appear-on-abcs-good-morning-america-thursday.aspx?path=wbball

Glad I know this as I will watch. I wonder which part of Good Morning America she will be on.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
If Cox is healthy, I think the post area is solid, even though it'll be different moving from Brown to Smith.

I do wish Kim had given the frosh a bit more opportunity to play. Part of her philosophy is that she really doesn't trust freshmen much. From everything I've read, Grayson has been slowed down by her injury all year but they are expecting her to take a pretty big leap forward next year.

If Cox is healthy and the freshmen take something close to the step up that Richards did this year, BU will be in the battle for the top spot. Knees worry the heck out of me though.

I may be in the total minority here, bu I think Baylor's post situation could be better than this year. Sometimes Cox and Brown could clog the lane. This will open the floor up for them a little bit. I think they could easily repeat if they figure out their PG situation.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/15/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin DeGrate grad transfers from Texas Tech to Baylor. Her last season at Texas Tech she average eight points and five rebounds a game. Degrate is originally from Waco.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:43 pm    ::: Re: Baylor 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Heading into last season, the? For the Bears was at the point guard position with the uncertainty involved with Alexis Morris. Billy answer that question by bringing in transfer Chloe Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kim take a similar route again this season.

Could that 'similar route' include a grad transfer named T'ea? Shocked Razz I do believe Miss Cooper should be about ready to complete her PhD by year's end.

Yep, Kalani was all that, but not irreplaceable. Cox's good health will be the biggest factor in Baylor's equation. Certainly oughtta be top 10 for most of the year.

PostPosted: 07/16/19 1:50 pm    ::: Re: Baylor 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Heading into last season, the? For the Bears was at the point guard position with the uncertainty involved with Alexis Morris. Billy answer that question by bringing in transfer Chloe Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kim take a similar route again this season.

Could that 'similar route' include a grad transfer named T'ea? Shocked Razz I do believe Miss Cooper should be about ready to complete her PhD by year's end.

Yep, Kalani was all that, but not irreplaceable. Cox's good health will be the biggest factor in Baylor's equation. Certainly oughtta be top 10 for most of the year.

Both Cooper and De Grate are on their third school. That's Marah Stricklandesque proportion.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/16/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I look back to 2012. Baylor was a better team then that they are now and lost in the S16.
Brown is irreplaceable. Cox is a great player but she isn't 6'6". And she is at least 30 pounds lighter. Brown completely dominated the paint. Cox will be a great post but she is by no means dominant in the paint. And as far as the freshmen, they are freshmen and subject to all that that implies.

Other than Tenn and UConn no one has repeated in the modern era. Those 2 teams did it with players such as Holdsclaw, Catchings, Taurasi, Moore, Parker and Stewart. Baylor has no such players on their roster.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/16/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone seems so sure that Kim will start Smith alongside Cox, with Cox at center. She might not go in that direction at all. She has either Egbo or DeGrete. DeGrate is 6'6" and might be the best replacement for Brown. It would allow Cox to go back to playing PF where she excels. If Kim starts Smith that changes the entire team dynamic because she is more a finesse player. She excelled using her quickness to fill lanes for rebounds and put-backs. Brown drew a lot of double teams so that opened up lanes for Smith and others. If Kim Does decide to play small they would then have the speed to be a running team.

PostPosted: 07/18/19 12:32 pm    ::: Baylor Back to Back Reply Reply with quote

I maybe a little bias (as Baylor is my college team), but baring any major injuries I think we're a Final Four team at minimum.

I absolutely think Kim should start Smith and Cox together. We saw glimpses of what Smith could do in limited minutes. I think she just needed a year to get her defense and conditioning up. She's an excellent scorer from outside and can rebound really well. Cox is a battle tested Senior who has alot of tricks up her sleeve. I think she can bang with Bigs if she has too and still pull them out when she needs to. Let along her shot blocking ability. That's 6'2 and 6'4 inside without even bringing in Queen and DeGrate.

My concern is Cooper. I'm really hoping she makes a positive impact on the team, especially since it appears she'll be running the show on the court.

Bottom line we are stacked. And I only see Oregon and maybe Stanford standing in our way next year....

taropatch

PostPosted: 07/18/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMHO, its a given that Juicy, Cox, Smith and Richards will start. I have no idea who the 5th starter is. Also who will step up at the point? There are several candidates who Kim might try for the starting PG position and that includes Juicy.

Mystic4Ever

PostPosted: 07/18/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They Needs Juicy with fresh legs to shoot threes. Te'a Cooper should be the starting PG.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/19/19 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystic4Ever wrote:
They Needs Juicy with fresh legs to shoot threes. Te'a Cooper should be the starting PG.

Cooper needs to understand one thing to have a successful season with Baylor. She must understand that she is not the first option on offense for her team. She can not have a lot of dumb turnovers either. Everything will be alright if she can do those two simple things. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/31/19 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor won their second exhibition game last night 98-63 over Lubbock Texas. This game featured the Cox sisters squaring off against one another as Whitney Cox is a member of the Lady chaps albeit she played only six minutes in the game.

The game was also an opportunity to draw awareness to type one diabetes. Both Cox sisters live and excel with this condition.

For the second Straight exhibition game Nylssa Smith and Queen Egbo did not play. Cait Bickle did see action in this game after serving a suspension in game one. Aquirra DeCosat left the team in between the two exhibitions.

Lubbock Christian's first exhibition game was against the university of Texas I'm actually lost 83 to 73.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: