RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Illegal Immigration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/08/19 6:10 pm    ::: Illegal Immigration Reply Reply with quote

Both parties want an illegal workforce, but only one party wants them voting.

Sep. 26, 2018: House GOP passes measure blasting allowing non-citizens to vote in local elections

Quote:
House Republicans overwhelmingly passed a non-binding resolution Wednesday opposing undocumented immigrants voting in U.S. elections, including in cities where laws have allowed non-citizens the chance to participate in local elections.

March 8, 2019: House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting

Quote:
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/08/19 7:38 pm    ::: Re: Illegal Immigration Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Sep. 26, 2018: House GOP passes measure blasting allowing non-citizens to vote in local elections

Quote:
House Republicans overwhelmingly passed a non-binding resolution Wednesday opposing undocumented immigrants voting in U.S. elections, including in cities where laws have allowed non-citizens the chance to participate in local elections.

March 8, 2019: House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting

Quote:
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

You would think that the GOP, the party of "BIG GOVERNMENT BAD" and "LET THE STATES DECIDE" would support the idea that local governments could decide best how to run their own local elections. You know, the elections that only effect the local populations.

To put this in perspective, if the local people didn't want undocumented people voting in their elections they wouldn't be. But if their community has no issue with it, why should the federal government step in and decide how they run elections for community offices?

PostPosted: 03/08/19 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next up for this Congress, the Crime No Longer Illegal Act of 2019. This is one of those yuck yuck city council resolutions passed in places like LA where it can’t really do any harm politically or otherwise. Well, other than make us a laughingstock when the rest of the country hears about it and that’s a rarity. But this? Look, I like AOC. I think she’s a preternaturally gifted politician. A freak. But uh, I hate to tell you congresswoman but this ain’t the last we’re going to hear of this one. And just for that special sauce, you have an issue that marries illegal immigration TO elections. Like the GOP dude said, ‘Sounds like I’m making this up...”

PostPosted: 03/08/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that what ‘you would think’ justin? States rights advocates and all that?

PostPosted: 03/08/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Is that what ‘you would think’ justin? States rights advocates and all that?

For the most part, local governments are best to take care of local issues. That should not be surprising to anyone, the further away you get from a problem the harder it is to target it effectively. It is the foundation of our system of government, and I know of no rational person who disagrees with this.

The federal government's role to is make sure that the local government is not discriminating against or disenfranchising people. That is why you have things like the Voting Rights Act and such at the federal level. But this is expanding rights, not taking them away. So if you have a liberal community that wants to be inclusive to all people living in that community and affected by the laws therein, why should some conservative leaning Congress who is not affected by that election in the least have any say at all? Let those affected decide democratically.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ICE raids scheduled for this weekend

Quote:
The New York Times first reported on the upcoming raids, saying they are expected to take place in at least 10 cities. The raids will occur "over multiple days" and will include "collateral" deportations in which "authorities might detain immigrants who happened to be on the scene, even though they were not targets of the raids."

Quote:
The senior immigration official tells CNN that the operation is expected to target some 2,000 family members with court orders of removal and take place over several days in 10 cities across the nation -- Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York and San Francisco.

The city of New Orleans said on Twitter that it confirmed with ICE that "immigration enforcement will be temporarily suspended through the weekend" in areas of Louisiana and Mississippi impacted by tropical storm Barry.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/politics/ice-raids-explainer/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-07-12T02%3A40%3A06&utm_source=twCNN

PostPosted: 07/15/19 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here ya go Trump, you punk!

https://condenaststore.com/featured/well-they-look-pretty-undocumented-to-me-jb-handelsman.html

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/15/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

The wall is intended to reduce illegal immigration and cross border drug running. Mary Anne MacLeod legally immigrated from Scotland in 1930 and became a naturalized citizen in 1942. Fred Trump was not an immigrant, but was born in the Bronx, New York, in 1905.
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/21/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

Quote:
"We're looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby - congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen. ... It's frankly ridiculous," Trump told reporters outside the White House.

Quote:
The Constitution's 14th Amendment, passed after the Civil War to ensure that black Americans had full citizenship rights, granted citizenship to "all persons born or naturalized in the United States."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-says-he-is-seriously-looking-at-ending-birthright-citizenship/ar-AAG7LHl?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 08/22/19 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 14th Amendment was ratified to protect former slaves and their families from being deported, not to allow people to come in to violate our laws. With the way people abuse this law today, those in Congress who respect our sovereignty should pass a bill to repeal it ASAP.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/22/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
The 14th Amendment was ratified to protect former slaves and their families from being deported, not to allow people to come in to violate our laws. With the way people abuse this law today, those in Congress who respect our sovereignty should pass a bill to repeal it ASAP.

Original intent is irrelevant. The 2nd Amendment was originally intended to protect state militias, not for maniacs to shoot up schools.

There is zero chance the 14th amendment will be repealed.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Original intent is irrelevant. The 2nd Amendment was originally intended to protect state militias, not for maniacs to shoot up schools.

" . . . not to allow people to come in to violate our laws."

that should tell you all you need to know about this twisted argument.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-justice/race-and-criminal-justice/louisiana-parish-jailed-us-citizen-being-latinx-were

Quote:
Staff at the sheriff’s office explained that they had a policy of detaining all Latinx people for immigration review.

PostPosted: 08/27/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I don't see why original intent would be irrelevant. To the contrary, it should be very relevant if the original intent no longer applies.

There are only two developed nations with full birthright citizenship: USA and Canada. There are a few others that have conditions with regard to the parents - for example, at least one must be a citizen of the country where the child is born.

The following are among the nations repealing full Birthright Citizenship in recent years:

Australia (2007)
New Zealand (2005)
Ireland (2005)
France (1993)
India (1987)
Malta (1989)
UK (1983)
Portugal (1981)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: