RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

She the North? Making case for a Toronto WNBA team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/12/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I would think a name and a logo would come before merchandise designs. But then, this whole thing seems pretty cart before horse to me.

It does seem like it's all too good to be true. The league has said it's not interested in expansion and wants to stabilize it's current teams before expanding. If everything is indeed on track, 2020 still feels unrealistic with the CBA negotiations occuring this off-season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can make some money selling merchandise ... and if you produce the merch only when it's ordered, your only cost is the design.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
I would think a name and a logo would come before merchandise designs. But then, this whole thing seems pretty cart before horse to me.

It does seem like it's all too good to be true. The league has said it's not interested in expansion and wants to stabilize it's current teams before expanding. If everything is indeed on track, 2020 still feels unrealistic with the CBA negotiations occuring this off-season.

But what's 'on track'? What 'paperwork' are they submitting to the League? You can't create an expansion team without the League being pretty heavily involved in it all. And if the League doesn't want to expand then you can't just create a team and say "well there you go". It's all a bit odd.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WInsidr podcast has some excerpts from a conference call interview they did with the guys behind the Toronto bid in their newest episode:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/winsidr-show-toronto-w-power-structure/id1344311724?i=1000444318053

PostPosted: 07/12/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Why not work to bring the Comets or Monarchs back first?

There are no owners interested in Houston or Sacramento would be my guess..

If there was a possible owner to bring back Houston or SAC to the WNBA, I'm sure they would've stepped up by now.

I cannot speak for Houston, but Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive has usually skirted the issue of starting up a revived Monarchs franchise. He has owned the Kings since 2013. So, at this rate, it looks like he won't be interested in getting involved with a WNBA team. If the Monarchs revival would happen, it will have to be through independent ownership. And finding local multi-billionaires in the Sacramento region who has an interest in women's sports isn't easy. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/12/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
You can make some money selling merchandise ... and if you produce the merch only when it's ordered, your only cost is the design.

Yeah a "brand" down here did that last year - a brand looking to get a team in a new market. They came up with an identity and a logo, then they sold "foundation memberships" for a token amount of money that pretty much just gauged how much interest there was, and got interested people onto a contact list. Then they started selling merchandise, based on nothing more than an ambition to get a team going.
And speaking of parallels with Toronto … they even stole Toronto's hashtag, except being in Tasmania it is #WeTheSouth

It's a long road to getting a sustainable team into the top Australian league, but they have built interest and momentum very well, and now have a team in the New Zealand league.
I guess there's no equivalent to that in Canada so it needs to be straight into the WNBA in this case. Rushing that would be silly, but there's nothing wrong with building people's appetites for it.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only need for speed, IMO, may be that they want to ride the wave of the NBA championship. The WNBA started with similar ambition riding the success and interest of the Atlanta summer Olympic games in 1996. Interest in woman's basketball was running high after those games.

Or it could be a group of young, aggressive people who want instant gratification without knowing what it really takes to get it.

In my mind, however, the biggest thing that hurts their credibility is the WNBA attitude toward the expansion and their idea of joining the league. If the league showed even a little bit of interest it would help. If these people are really serious about putting a team together, I would view the WNBA attitude as insulting and could see it discourage other investors.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/13/19 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
The only need for speed, IMO, may be that they want to ride the wave of the NBA championship. The WNBA started with similar ambition riding the success and interest of the Atlanta summer Olympic games in 1996. Interest in woman's basketball was running high after those games.

Or it could be a group of young, aggressive people who want instant gratification without knowing what it really takes to get it.

Yeah, I'd be suspicious if it was a matter of riding a wave. Waves are fickle. Wait until the wave is gone. Is there still interest and enthusiasm afterwards? If so, then they've got a chance of being sustainable.
There's absolutely no reason for anyone - neither the new team nor the WNBA - to rush, IMO.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivek was actually fairly accepting of the idea of a WNBA team early, especially with their arena situation, but I think the rest of the ownership group has basically put a muzzle on him after all the stupid stuff he was doing and saying with the Kings.

Luuuc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah a "brand" down here did that last year - a brand looking to get a team in a new market. They came up with an identity and a logo, then they sold "foundation memberships" for a token amount of money that pretty much just gauged how much interest there was, and got interested people onto a contact list. Then they started selling merchandise, based on nothing more than an ambition to get a team going.
And speaking of parallels with Toronto … they even stole Toronto's hashtag, except being in Tasmania it is #WeTheSouth

It's a long road to getting a sustainable team into the top Australian league, but they have built interest and momentum very well, and now have a team in the New Zealand league.
I guess there's no equivalent to that in Canada so it needs to be straight into the WNBA in this case. Rushing that would be silly, but there's nothing wrong with building people's appetites for it.

Grr... Still mad about the demise of the Lady Chargers in Hobart. I suppose we will find out whether Hobart can handle an NBL team sometime this year.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From my conversations with people very close to the situation, the projected annual losses of a couple million pretty much squelched the idea of rebooting the Monarchs.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article from an actual Toronto reporter with some credibility pointing out how flawed this all is: https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/doug_smiths_sports_blog/2019/07/09/pumping-the-brakes-on-a-rushed--flawed-wnba-idea.html

He also took one of the WNBAToronto guys to task on Twitter last night and the guy had basically no answers.

PostPosted: 07/13/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, check out Doug Smith's Twitter account to see the question he threw out at Daniel Escott. Quite interesting.

https://twitter.com/SmithRaps

pilight

PostPosted: 07/13/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
yeah, check out Doug Smith's Twitter account to see the question he threw out at Daniel Escott. Quite interesting.

https://twitter.com/SmithRaps

If someone started off by calling me a fraud I wouldn't be terribly inclined to answer their questions either

PostPosted: 07/13/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like the guy is saying they can’t reveal details, which seems plausible. But the other guy isn’t accepting that so he’s calling him fake.

So why get upset over it? If they don’t have the substance to make it happen, then it won’t happen. Prodding him isn’t going to help anything.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think naming a WNBA person you've talked to is not unreasonable, or privileged information.

PostPosted: 07/14/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of people seem to be coming at then via Twitter. People asking lots of questions to which they have a generic reply of "we can't release those details just yet". Be interesting where they are, if anywhere, come the off-season.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man behind Toronto WNBA bid still owes money from failed esports venture

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/wnba-toronto-esports-1.5212388

Quote:
"They didn't have the money, they didn't have the investors, they didn't have [the] cash, they just had empty promises," said Sean Luellen, a former marketing director for multiple esports organizations.

PostPosted: 07/17/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Man behind Toronto WNBA bid still owes money from failed esports venture

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/wnba-toronto-esports-1.5212388

Quote:
"They didn't have the money, they didn't have the investors, they didn't have [the] cash, they just had empty promises," said Sean Luellen, a former marketing director for multiple esports organizations.

Looks like another potential deadbeat wanting to buy a sports franchise.

Pass! Evil or Very Mad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: