RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trump was right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/12/19 12:21 pm    ::: Trump was right. Reply Reply with quote

What Donald Trump got right, and Justin Amash got wrong, about conservatives

(Emphasis mine)

Quote:
Conservatism is an identity more than an ideology, and Trump knows it...

A clever 2018 paper by political scientists Michael Barber and Jeremy Pope tested this experimentally. Trump was constantly adopting contradictory positions on issues, and his reputation for saying and doing anything primed voters to believe he really had said whatever you told them he’d said. “There has never been a president (or any party leader) who shifts back and forth so often between liberal and conservative issue positions,” they wrote, and that opened space for a revealing study.

Here’s how it worked: Barber and Pope asked voters if they agreed or disagreed with different policies. Because of the, erm, flexibility of Trump’s rhetoric, they were able to pick policies where Trump had, at some point, taken both a liberal policy position and a conservative policy position. And so some voters were asked about the policy without a cue telling them what Trump thought, but other were asked about the policy and given either Trump’s liberal position on the policy or his conservative one.

The idea here was to see how much of a difference Trump’s positioning made, and to whom. Among the most interesting findings is in the chart below. The people who identified as most strongly conservative were the likeliest to move in response to Trump. And the effect was about the same size whether Trump was taking the conservative or liberal position. It was the direction of Trump, not the direction of the policy, that mattered. Interestingly, there wasn’t an equal and opposite reaction among strong liberals: They didn’t change position much to oppose Trump.

“The fact that stronger conservatives are the ones most likely to react to the treatment — regardless of the ideological direction of the treatment — suggests that the nearly ubiquitous self-placed ideology measure is less a measure of principled conviction and more of a social identity,” write Barber and Pope.

Very interesting study, and it seems to fit with what we see happening. Self defined Liberals tend to be very ideologically driven, fighting for causes, where self-defined conservatives tend to be much more tribalistic (which also explains the adherence to shows of patriotism and why the extremes devolve into nationalism).

PostPosted: 07/12/19 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hucksterism at its finest/worst.

When he says things like, "I got me elected", or, "If I pulled out a gun and shot somebody on Madison Avenue, my ratings would only go up", he's demonstrating his command of the phenomenon. Talk with great braggadocio, speak as if you believe your own lies, and a certain percentage of the Very Stupid will follow your cult. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: