RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kim Mulkey throws shade at USWNT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/11/19 12:04 pm    ::: Kim Mulkey throws shade at USWNT Reply Reply with quote

At the ESPYs during the Red Carpet Interviews (6-7pm).

"We're not into world issues we’re into ourselves, our team"

Seriously, Kim? After everything your school has been through, you think you should be offering an opinion, even a slightly veiled one, on this subject? If you are so focused on your team, just say nothing at all about the situation...

One team openly celebrates their queerness, one team treats it like a dirty little secret that can never be discussed. What team do you represent?

PostPosted: 07/11/19 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim is obviously a successful coach, but I really don't think I'd like her much as a person.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She seems like someone not too full of them herself. She is just saying that they are a college basketball team and that is what their focus on. If you want to focus on world issues then become a politician or social worker. It is pretentious to use one platform to promote another or to feel that the world relies on you for moral guidance. Sure do what you can to change the world in whatever image you feel is right, but do it as an individual and don't use your work or affiliation as a platform.

That also goes both ways. What people do in their private lives should not bleed into what they do on the field, court, etc. Unless it actually affects their ability to do their job. People have a right to work and their ability to do so should not be hindered by non-legal social issues. Teams do not have the right to make non-legal moral judgments to punish individuals. Fire them yes but not punish.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Sure do what you can to change the world in whatever image you feel is right, but do it as an individual and don't use your work or affiliation as a platform.

Um, what?

Change the world, but don't use the tools that you have available to you to do it. Work your butt off to be the absolute best in your field, to gain the recognition and respect of others, but don't use all that hard work for anything greater than yourself, because...pretentious?

It is not pretentious to try and make the world a better place. These people are not pretending to be something they are not, they are simply stating their truth. If others choose to listen and follow, that is the choice of others. The platform they use has not be stolen by them, it has been given, and it is theirs to use as they choose. The downside being that it can be taken away just as easily if they behave poorly. So why hate on them for using it? Why dislike people who actively make the world better?

You're not a politician or a social worker, so I'm mad at you for making society better! See how silly that sounds?

PostPosted: 07/11/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but this topic looks to me like a phonied-up issue about Kim Mulkey, just to make political/cultural virtue signals relating to the behavior of a women's soccer team -- all of which should be in Area 51. Politicizing everything anyone says is making a lot of things unpleasant in this world, including this dying forum, which is about women's basketball.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/11/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan. Now, never will be.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Sure do what you can to change the world in whatever image you feel is right, but do it as an individual and don't use your work or affiliation as a platform.

Um, what?

Change the world, but don't use the tools that you have available to you to do it. Work your butt off to be the absolute best in your field, to gain the recognition and respect of others, but don't use all that hard work for anything greater than yourself, because...pretentious?

I'm not sure your distillation of will's idea is a valid summary of his ideas. Frankly, I agree with BOTH of you....AND with Kim. Razz

It is (imo) valid and acceptable to use one's platform to heighten social awareness. For example, in the soccer team's celebration, it'd be delightful if their spouses (m or f) could visibly join the in the public jubilation---and they may have, I didn't watch.

Kim's position is rather different from, say the National Soccer Team, or the NBA teams that might not want to visit the White House: She is NOT dealing with professionals, but rather, she's involved in cultivating STUDENTS who happen to be with her because of their exceptional athletic skills.
I don't see why any college coach should be 'obligated' to take a stance on a political concern. Maybe I've missed it, but what has Tara, Geno, Brenda, Muff, or Kelly done in that way? I'd think any coach should be more concerned with shielding their team from such entanglements that might only detract from their primary function as coach/mentor to a team. Certainly, many of them do community outreach things, etc., as part of teaching their kids about 'giving back', but that's a different thing altogether.

As a longtime fan of the Big12, I can say I've seen Kim evolve in many ways, for the better. I personally enjoy the lady she's become.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no, I have no issue with her not taking a "stand" (other than the whole having to hide your gayness on that team, a coach needs to have their player's backs against hate), my issue was that she took a swipe at the USWNT because they made advocacy central to their identity. That is the opposite of staying out of it. Staying out of it and focusing on your team would have been to say nothing at all on the subject...

PostPosted: 07/11/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Oh no, I have no issue with her not taking a "stand" (other than the whole having to hide your gayness on that team, a coach needs to have their player's backs against hate), my issue was that she took a swipe at the USWNT because they made advocacy central to their identity. That is the opposite of staying out of it. Staying out of it and focusing on your team would have been to say nothing at all on the subject...

Well, then....mayhaps I missed the context of her remarks. I didn't see any of it. Razz

PostPosted: 07/11/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know one shouldn't hold grudges, but I have a hard time forgetting one of Coach Mulkey's all-time zingers.
It was the year Baylor won the National Championship with Griner, and they were winning most of their games by 30 or 40 points. In the Sweet Sixteen, they only beat Georgia Tech by something like 16 points. Coming off the court, she was asked about the "close" score. Kim's response:
(At one time, I could have written an exact quote, but my memory is a little fuzzy now.)

We took our starters out, but they left their starters in.

I don't think I have ever heard a coach criticize another like that, but worse still, it wasn't even true.
There were six seniors on that Tech team and five of the seniors were starters.
Coach Jo took her starters out the first chance she had after Mulkey took hers out. (Would it have been rude to detract from the Baylor players' ovation?) She did, however, leave in Sydney Wallace, a freshman who scored 30+ point in that game. Wallace had only started one game the entire season. I don't remember, but she might have set (or threatened) a record for most points scored by a freshman in an NCAA Tournament game. Or maybe 3-pointers made.
I know we all say things and then think "I shouldn't have said that." But I think Mulkey has more than her share of those.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/11/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sorry, but this topic looks to me like a phonied-up issue about Kim Mulkey, just to make political/cultural virtue signals relating to the behavior of a women's soccer team -- all of which should be in Area 51. Politicizing everything anyone says is making a lot of things unpleasant in this world, including this dying forum, which is about women's basketball.

______

PostPosted: 07/11/19 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

______

Hey. If you don't like the topic, just don't click on it. It IS germane to women's college hoops, so I don't see how it's out of place.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What else could Kim say. Any germane comment would either put her in deep shit with the school administration or else make her sound like a reactionary sexist to anyone living outside the bible belt. So she dodged the topic. Good for her. I like her as a coach and as a personality. She's not paid to answer non-basketball questions. And in my experience most pro coaches have little time to get sufficiently knowledgeable on social issues to have much to offer.

taropatch

PostPosted: 07/12/19 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CHSHog wrote:
Kim is obviously a successful coach, but I really don't think I'd like her much as a person.

That's the gist of what she tells her players. "You don't have to like me, but you have to listen to me as I can make you a better player". That's the message Odyssey Sims got when the freshman phenom butted heads with her from day one. Kalani Brown told the freshman recruits this past season, "Take the message, not the tone".

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/12/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
What else could Kim say. Any germane comment would either put her in deep shit with the school administration or else make her sound like a reactionary sexist to anyone living outside the bible belt. So she dodged the topic. Good for her. I like her as a coach and as a personality. She's not paid to answer non-basketball questions. And in my experience most pro coaches have little time to get sufficiently knowledgeable on social issues to have much to offer.

She didn't dodge the question at all. She answered in a way that put caring about social issues and caring about your team in direct opposition to each other. She clearly implies that the Rapino et al. do not care about their team.

I would expect no different from her.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/12/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is that the commercialization of athletes as salespeople for products makes no sense unless that product is something related to the sport they play. Then it has some validity. However, it makes no sense to assume that just because someone has celebrity in one area that their opinion has more value than any one else. That is what I mean by using one platform to promote an unrelated one.

People should use reason and quantify their opinions. Just because someone gains notoriety does not mean that it is proper to use that to promote either a product of an issue. Unless they have articulated their perspective on an issue it is pretentious to believe that their opinion should have anymore weight than the average person. Of course, athletes only take advantage of what the population allows them to. This is less a criticism of the athlete than the stupidity of the populaton that do not seem to be able to think for themselves and will always look for someone to tell them what to think.

If someone was a good muscian, why would get them to tutor you in English? Doesn't make sense, but people do similar things everyday.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see the interview; going by what Justin posted as her comment....
justintyme wrote:
"We're not into world issues we’re into ourselves, our team"

....makes THIS....
PUmatty wrote:
She answered in a way that put caring about social issues and caring about your team in direct opposition to each other. She clearly implies that the Rapino et al. do not care about their team.

....an unmitigated leap of imagination based in prejudicial hate. There is NOTHING 'clearly implied' about the soccer team.

Did she say ANYTHING else than what Justin quoted on this occasion? And what specifically was she replying to?

PostPosted: 07/13/19 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will say this about Kim Mulkey the coach.She will make you feel apart of the family.She will make you feel warm about her.She is playing a role to her base.Listen if you have spent days or hours with her you wil know her heart That all I will say about her.Not too many people will talk down on her name.I have a kid on the team now and another one 2 years before that .Mulkey takes care of her players.good or bad.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
I will say this about Kim Mulkey the coach.She will make you feel apart of the family.She will make you feel warm about her.She is playing a role to her base.Listen if you have spent days or hours with her you wil know her heart That all I will say about her.Not too many people will talk down on her name.I have a kid on the team now and another one 2 years before that .Mulkey takes care of her players.good or bad.

I have no doubt that Kim is able to do that, it would be impossible to be as successful as she has been without being a tremendous coach and being able to inspire her players on some level.

My issues with her is her failure to advocate openly for her marginalized players: in other words, the ones that need her the most. Listening to what Britney Griner has said on the subject is heartbreaking. Baylor University is not a welcoming place for LGBTQ+ individuals, and Kim basically adopting a "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy is hurtful to people that desperately need her unmitigated and open support. And when she throws shade at the USWNT for their activism, a team that has become absolute heroes and icons to the LGBTQ+ community, it reinforces the lack of that openness.

I get that she may feel she is between a rock and a hard place with Baylor being as hateful as it is, and feel like she is doing the best she can fighting a private--if imperfect--battle for her players (giving her the benefit of the doubt), but if that is the case why wade into this at all? The idea that she "had to deflect this way" or else piss off her school is a false dichotomy. She could have easily answered the questions asked by talking about the successes of her program, or just throwing the rote answers out there about how awesome the USWNT is and how amazing their accomplishments are, or just completely deflecting the question and answering something else entirely. The moment she says "We feel no need to involve ourselves in world events" in the context of questions about the USWNT, she is no longer just saying what is best for her team, she is making a pointed statement that says other sports teams should also just "focus on their teams" and "stay in their lane".

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
linkster wrote:

She didn't dodge the question at all. She answered in a way that put caring about social issues and caring about your team in direct opposition to each other. She clearly implies that the Rapino et al. do not care about their team.

I would expect no different from her.

X________

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

THIS Exclamation Idea Arrow

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/13/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
justintyme wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Um, what?

I'm not sure your distillation of will's idea is a valid summary of his ideas. Frankly, I agree with BOTH of you....AND with Kim. Razz

It is (imo) valid and acceptable to use one's platform to heighten social awareness. For example, in the soccer team's celebration, it'd be delightful if their spouses (m or f) could visibly join the in the public jubilation---and they may have, I didn't watch.

Kim's position is rather different from, say the National Soccer Team, or the NBA teams that might not want to visit the White House: She is NOT dealing with professionals, but rather, she's involved in cultivating STUDENTS who happen to be with her because of their exceptional athletic skills.
I don't see why any college coach should be 'obligated' to take a stance on a political concern. Maybe I've missed it, but what has Tara, Geno, Brenda, Muff, or Kelly done in that way? I'd think any coach should be more concerned with shielding their team from such entanglements that might only detract from their primary function as coach/mentor to a team. Certainly, many of them do community outreach things, etc., as part of teaching their kids about 'giving back', but that's a different thing altogether.

As a longtime fan of the Big12, I can say I've seen Kim evolve in many ways, for the better. I personally enjoy the lady she's become.

FWIW, Muffet supported her team when they took a stance on Black Lives Matter, and I believe Geno spoke out publicly on supporting his players right to express their beliefs.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/13/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
The moment she says "We feel no need to involve ourselves in world events" in the context of questions about the USWNT, she is no longer just saying what is best for her team, she is making a pointed statement that says other sports teams should also just "focus on their teams" and "stay in their lane".

(....now, if those "quotes" are what she actually said, I'd think differently....Shocked)

If NOT, then I think that's taking a leap of presumption. *I* didn't hear her words, nor the context in which they were delivered. Yes, she could have made different comments, but....given how she's stuck her foot in her mouth in the past, that's not so bad. Razz And if Kim was expressing an opinion on the matter of sports 'activism', that's all it is: her opinion.

And re: Britney? She didn't just get hit with a big *s'prise!* when she began her freshman year there: she knew the score re: Baylor's position, via earlier experiences, camps, etc. It was where she wanted to go. I'd be surprised if she ever claimed she regretted those years.

Iluvacc wrote:
FWIW, Muffet supported her team when they took a stance on Black Lives Matter, and I believe Geno spoke out publicly on supporting his players right to express their beliefs.

Being supportive of one's team members in various ways is great. But that's a bit different than the coach LEADING them or speaking FOR them, as a unit, to take a stance or make a statement on a socio/political topic. This is college, not the pros. I'm a BIG fan of Colin Kaepernick's efforts--THAT'S the place for this kind of dialogue. And the soccer team? Absolutely.

PostPosted: 07/14/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I would like to see what question(s) were put to her by the reporter, in order to better understand the context of her response, before I either agree or disagree with it....

osubeavers

PostPosted: 07/14/19 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’s an apologist for rapists. I have no respect whatever for Kim Mulkey. Always happy to see her lose.

She and tRUmp deserve each other.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: