RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah for better or worse we are now swimming in the low playoff, high lottery arena (luckily? we have such a bad record from last year we will be competing for the top 2 lottery spots even if we just slide into that last lottery spot this year).

In playoffs IMO
Washington, Conn, LV, LA, Minny, PX

In lottery
Dallas, Atl

competing for the last two playoff spots or last two lottery spots
Seattle, Chicago, NY, Indy

In lottery players
Ionescu, Cox, Carter (I am predicting an early entry)

last lottery pick or picks (depending on Carter) top non lottery picks
Mompremier, Charles, Hebard, Martin, Dangerfield, Cooper, Harris, Holmes

my 2020 wish
in lottery Ionescu or Mompremier
out of lottery Mompremier, Martin or Charles (Martin or Charles add depth at SF and we could probably get by without a true PG with a Durr, Nurse Charles or Martin Perimeter) or
one of the out of lottery PGs Dangerfield, Harris (if we aren't going forward with Boyd as the starter) or in 2nd round Mangakalia or Cooper
we still either have our or Atl's 2nd round pick don't remember which one.
Mompremier is the player I am keeping an eye on this season, getting Mompremier at 5 or 6 would make making the playoffs more palitable IMO. I think this will be the season Joyner Holmes puts it together but she will still be too risky to take in the top 6 with one of Cox, Mompremier and Hebard still a post option in that range and I don't see her falling to the 2nd round.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/09/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, Zahui B is STILL stuck in Serbia!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/09/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Oh no

Thats not good[/list]

PostPosted: 07/09/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Quote:

Amanda Zahui B.
‏Verified account @AmandaZahuiB
42m42 minutes ago

Hey you guys, I am finally in NY and almost home in my apartment. Thank you for all of the prayers!! Hope y’all enjoyed me going crazy on here 😂🙄
And I am still thinking about telling y’all the rest of the movie I was in 😫🚶🏽‍♀️
1 reply 2 retweets 29 likes

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/09/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Quote:

Amanda Zahui B.
42m42 minutes ago

Hey you guys, I am finally in NY and almost home in my apartment. Thank you for all of the prayers!! Hope y’all enjoyed me going crazy on here 😂🙄
And I am still thinking about telling y’all the rest of the movie I was in 😫🚶🏽‍♀️

Great news. Thanks, stever, for posting this.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/09/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Quote:

Amanda Zahui B.
42m42 minutes ago

Excellent

PostPosted: 07/09/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bella Alarie would also be a nice addition to the Liberty roster. She could end up being a lottery pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time for the New York Liberty to unleash Han Xu.

https://winsidr.com/2019/07/10/its-time-for-the-new-york-liberty-to-unleash-han-xu/

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/10/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

https://winsidr.com/2019/07/10/its-time-for-the-new-york-liberty-to-unleash-han-xu/

Seems to be taken down...i see hans potential but she looks lost out there to be honest

PostPosted: 07/10/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Seems to be taken down...i see hans potential but she looks lost out there to be honest

Yeah. It seems noticeable on offense where she looked hesitant in movements and where and when to set screens. Without a defensive presence inside, there's every incentive to play Han...provided she is ready. Which to me indicates she's still a ways away.

In her brief time guarding Liz, she didn't back down though, which to me was a nice glimpse into her potential. She also looked confident overall. Eager to engage, eager to shoot. She said through her translator something like she didn't feel as confident due to not playing but she felt more confident as she spent time on the floor. Which also sounded encouraging to me. That she's not so down as not to be ready when she is called upon. She seem more sure of herself defensively than in her previous times on the court. I am really hoping that means she is getting closer to being able to play minutes that matter. Being able to play her would be such a game changer in terms of what the Libs need. I'm enjoying this year's team in a lot of ways. I like the youth. I like the chemistry. But being one of "those" teams that's easy to go the basket against because the rim protection isn't there...that's a fundamental 180 from the defensive identity that led me to love the Liberty and the WNBA in the first place. Whenever the Liberty have been a good basketball team for a course of time...which is really only from 1997-2002 and 2015-2017...they've been at least competent and most times better than competent defensively.

I stress here, I don't think she's ready for meaningful minutes or anything, and I support their on-court handling of her. However, I think she demonstrated that she's probably getting closer to being ready for meaningful minutes. With so few games spread out over July, hopefully the opportunity for legit practice time will help. When I thought Kiah was returning, my goal was to have everyone on the team integrated into their roles by the 8/1 game in Dallas, figuring at that point the Libs would have the capacity to play improved D and they'd have depth that just about nobody else in this year's watered down league has. Now I'd target that date as a date for Han to start playing meaningful minutes if she's going to be able to at all in 2019. Katie tried to get her in there against Dallas in the home game during non-garbage time minutes and she struggled. Perhaps by that time she won't be anymore. Only time will answer that one. But I will say, if she can play some meaningful minutes at that point, the dimension provided would make the Libs a much better team. I'd also stress two points. First, let's not underestimate the practice time they are going to have. Being young, and integrating so many players, that's a bigger deal for them than most teams. Especially regarding Johannes, who in my estimation is a world-class talent. Second, let's not overreact to them getting blown out by LV. Not only was it third game in five days and a return from the coast, but it was also a terrible physical matchup while shorthanded.

I see them as ultimately being a .500 team or so...maybe two over, two under, whatever. But 8/1 is the date to determine if they might improve further or decline further. At that point, they won't have much practice time left. So I think however they're using Johannes and Han, that's how they'll wind up being used for the rest of 2019. Which will in turn tell a lot about the team moving forward.

PostPosted: 07/10/19 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about 500 question is where 500 gets you.

Thats what I keep bringing up at some point if Atlanta and Dallas stay out of thr playoff hunt having a worse aggregate with a team that is much improved is way too much a temptation at a high pick

This isn't new...aces had this issue last year

As it is now only Indy would have a better (worse) agg than us

I can't tell now if making or missing is better to be honest

Vegas had minds made up with the forefit

I think after the 11th will be the time to really judge prospects and prospects

PostPosted: 07/10/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I agree about 500 question is where 500 gets you.

Thats what I keep bringing up at some point if Atlanta and Dallas stay out of thr playoff hunt having a worse aggregate with a team that is much improved is way too much a temptation at a high pick

This isn't new...aces had this issue last year

As it is now only Indy would have a better (worse) agg than us

I can't tell now if making or missing is better to be honest

Vegas had minds made up with the forefit

I think after the 11th will be the time to really judge prospects and prospects

What we want really doesn’t matter. The team isn’t in tank mode anyway. Tina is playing nearly mid 30s in minutes. They’re clearly trying to win, so I think discussing tank mode is fan talk and nothing more. I like what we have moving forward in 2020 even without major draft help (new starter).

Chennedy Carter, mentioned from time to time, is non-entity on this team. A post entry team with two-three dynamic perimeter scorers isn’t going to function well with a ball hog like Carter. She’s the WNBA’s Allen Iverson. Give her a team of really good role players and it’ll probably work. It’ll never work with a team like NY. Perimeter help could come in the form of Ionescu or Dangerfield. Cox and Sabally (if declaring, monster potential) would be nice adds too. On this team, Sabally would have to play C. That would be a transition for her.

You might be right about that 8/11 area. Libs have lots of time spent in NY before then too.

PostPosted: 07/10/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article is back up after an edit.

https://winsidr.com/2019/07/10/its-time-for-the-new-york-liberty-to-unleash-han-xu/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In the midst of an unexpected playoff hunt, there’s no better time for the New York Liberty to unleash their confident, comfortable second-round pick.

I thought if you're trying to win, you trim your rotation down to something like top 8.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/10/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something to temper the excitement for 2020 (when did I become the negative one?)

Nine of our thirteen current players (CHarles, Nurse, Allen, Han, Stokes, Zahui B, Raincock-Ekunwe, Hartley and Johannes) could be in the Olympics next year. Eight will be playing for their National teams outside of the US and will likely miss some time (a few games to most of the season) in preparation.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Han sitting out next season. Raincock might get replaced via the draft, so that's two less to worry about. Let's see if Johannes shows up next season, too.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/10/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han showed a little bit of improvement against Las Vegas, but she is still a garbage time replacement only at this point. Maybe if the opponent has a tall post who is using that height to score at will against our smaller posts, you throw Han out there for a few minutes to see if she makes a difference. But right now, I think the Liberty are handling Han in exactly the right way.

So it's EuroBasket this year, the Olympics the next, EuroBasket again in 2021...I really wish there was some way the players could be paid enough so that the WNBA was their priority.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/19 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aussies aren't likely to skip the season. Canadians probably won't, especially prominent ones like Achonwa and Nurse. Definitely won't skip the back half of the season. Europeans are more iffy. They haven't caught to the notion that you get better by playing against the best.

Zahui has been very loyal to her American teams. But Sweden hasn't been to the Olympics in her time with the team. Somebody should probably ask her what she thinks.

If an international player doesn't want to risk losing their spot on the totem pole in their WNBA team, not missing much time for Olympics is something to consider. Somebody can always step up and take their spot.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/10/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t see Nurse missing much time. I think Hartley’s future with the Libs is in jeopardy if that database of Megdal’s is accurate. Stokes will still be under contract and Turkey isn’t going to the Olympics. Zahui has shown she’ll play as much as she can and so far Sweden has only earned the right to play in Olympic qualifiers I believe. Maybe I’m wrong about that, not sure if I interpreted correctly. Either way, my only concerns for next year would be Johannes and Han. I think without Han we are ok in the middle. I’d assumed Johannes would be here at the start of 2020 season to fight for a starting PG position. If that’s not the case then there’s a few potential draft options.

As long as none of the PG options are named Carter, there’s some candidates out there to help the team. At this point, none of our PG options cut it, so upgrade there is necessary either via Johannes or elsewhere. Boyd/Hartley is not a winning PG combo.

PostPosted: 07/11/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisdom prevails again. Check out who is working closely with Johannes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrxSL11x2oM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/11/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was watching the Canada vs France world cup on YouTube, and immediately notice she(Johannes) has great handles and plays the pick and roll well, good vision, played good D on Nurse and lil scrappy

Speaking of Nurse, Congrats to our Queen of the North to being named a starter for the allstar team in Vegas!!! Cool

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/11/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
I was watching the Canada vs France world cup on YouTube, and immediately notice she(Johannes) has great handles and plays the pick and roll well, good vision, played good D on Nurse and lil scrappy

Speaking of Nurse, Congrats to our Queen of the North to being named a starter for the allstar team in Vegas!!! Cool

Damn. I'd rather she rested during the All-Star break and not risk injury in an exhibition game. I voted against her for that specific reason.

I'm not much for All-Star games. Especially when they're in the middle of the season. In baseball, the Yankees' last game before the All-Star break this year was an important game against 2nd place Tampa. The manager rested all 3 players who were going to the All-Star game, and the Yankees lost the game by one run (I think it was one run; that might not be right, but I thought the score was 2-1).

At best, the players were rested because they weren't going to get the full benefit of the All-Star break. At worst, they were rested because the manager wanted them to be fresh for the All-Star game. Either way, we have an exhibition game distorting the outcome of the regular season.

I used to like the All-Star games, but I think that the quality of play in the games has decreased over time in every sport. That, coupled with me realizing the stuff I mentioned above about injury and rest, has spoiled the charm for me.

I hope Kia has a great game and stays completely healthy.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/11/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Damn. I'd rather she rested during the All-Star break and not risk injury in an exhibition game. I voted against her for that specific reason.

I'm not much for All-Star games. Especially when they're in the middle of the season. In baseball, the Yankees' last game before the All-Star break this year was an important game against 2nd place Tampa. The manager rested all 3 players who were going to the All-Star game, and the Yankees lost the game by one run (I think it was one run; that might not be right, but I thought the score was 2-1).

At best, the players were rested because they weren't going to get the full benefit of the All-Star break. At worst, they were rested because the manager wanted them to be fresh for the All-Star game. Either way, we have an exhibition game distorting the outcome of the regular season.

I used to like the All-Star games, but I think that the quality of play in the games has decreased over time in every sport. That, coupled with me realizing the stuff I mentioned above about injury and rest, has spoiled the charm for me.

I hope Kia has a great game and stays completely healthy.

I'm with you she needs that extra rest but I am so happy for her she deserved this honor she worked so hard I hope plays in the 3 pts contest

Now that everybody is back, we can only hope Katie doesn't play her all 40 minutes lol

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/11/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Kia on your first all star game! Cheers to hopefully many more. Players ranked her tied for 3rd with Sims 🙌🏽

Surprised Tina wasn’t even in the top 10 for combined scores. I get that she has a low shooting percentage but she’s still one of the top scorers and rebounders in the league....we don’t see who players voted as 7th and 8th for frontcourt players so maybe at least her peers had her top 10.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Between going to Australia her first offseason and the fact that this is only her second year, Nurse doesn’t really need the rest. The honor is valuable for her basketball resume.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 75 of 91

Jump to: