RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

She the North? Making case for a Toronto WNBA team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toronto ownership group files paperwork in time for 2020 season.

https://t.co/BqF4B51Wz0?amp=1

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this legit? The Twitter account doesn't really give me convince me.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Great news if they have the money, a place to play and a sales staff that needs to start work pretty much today.

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Great news if they have the money, a place to play and a sales staff that needs to start work pretty much today.

Even if they have everything in place and ready to start, the new CBA likely delays them until 2021. Have them be announced before the 2020 season starts to give them a year to advertise and build up season ticket sales.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Even if they have everything in place and ready to start, the new CBA likely delays them until 2021. Have them be announced before the 2020 season starts to give them a year to advertise and build up season ticket sales.

That’s kinda like dragging feet on the new Liberty ownership because the timing of the sale wasn’t the best for the new season. Just get it done.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The potential new CBA could delay things like scheduling, the draft, etc. A new expansion team would only be hurt by any kind of delays because of a new CBA. Of course, if things move quickly with a new CBA, then it's all a wash. I also don't see the league moving quickly on this as they've said they're not looking to expand now and want to focus on stabilizing the current teams. They could have them on standby if, let's say the Dream, decide to go up for sale and relocate.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, if you read this thread, you'd think there was no way in hell (or heaven...maybe even on earth) that an expansion could be successful - and supposedly we're some of the more rabid fans. That gives me pause. I know there are always obstacles, but c'mon, if they actually filed paperwork, that means they are serious. Why all the cynicism? Do we really think W management is just hanging out waiting for a team to fail so they can relocate instead of expand?

As far as Toronto goes, Canadian womens bball seems to be on the rise. I know there are quite a few Canucks in the W now and certainly a lot in the college ranks. If they could get some decent 'home' girls as FAs, I would think there would be plenty of enthusiasm, and possibly even more than at another US site.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, if you read this thread, you'd think there was no way in hell (or heaven...maybe even on earth) that an expansion could be successful - and supposedly we're some of the more rabid fans. That gives me pause. I know there are always obstacles, but c'mon, if they actually filed paperwork, that means they are serious. Why all the cynicism? Do we really think W management is just hanging out waiting for a team to fail so they can relocate instead of expand?

As far as Toronto goes, Canadian womens bball seems to be on the rise. I know there are quite a few Canucks in the W now and certainly a lot in the college ranks. If they could get some decent 'home' girls as FAs, I would think there would be plenty of enthusiasm, and possibly even more than at another US site.

I think the enthusiasm would be there, and presumably expansion is possible -- and filing some paperwork is certainly a step forward.

I would tend to believe, though, that relocation is more likely than expansion.

PostPosted: 07/08/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not work to bring the Comets or Monarchs back first? So much of the leagues history is missing. Would rather see that happen first.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/08/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Why not work to bring the Comets or Monarchs back first?

There are no owners interested in Houston or Sacramento would be my guess..

PostPosted: 07/08/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Based on what? Did a secret someone let you know there were team owners looking to sell?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Based on what? Did a secret someone let you know there were team owners looking to sell?

Not at all. No sources, thus the phrase "tend to believe" ...

PostPosted: 07/09/19 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_smiths_sports_blog/2019/07/09/pumping-the-brakes-on-a-rushed--flawed-wnba-idea.html

Quote:
This thing has been bogus from the start and, I swear, it’s done more harm that good. It has gotten people’s hopes up when it shouldn’t. I’m sure no one connected with this social media campaign had malice in their minds but I also think they might not have been entirely forthcoming about the realities of life. To think – as they apparently did – that you could “submit paperwork this summer” with an aim to play next year shows nothing but a shocking level of naivety that is telling.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/09/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Whelp, that article answers that.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 07/09/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

This is something I notice quite a bit also. Its perplexing sometimes.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/09/19 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
myrtle wrote:

This is something I notice quite a bit also. Its perplexing sometimes.

As a resident cynic here and elsewhere, my doubts spring from the attendance figures and TV ratings. Atlanta, for example, appears to play before crowds that barely top four figures, and Indiana is about to be exiled from its arena for two years. If those two franchises were drawing 5,000 bodies a night, then talk of expansion would certainly make sense, but it just seems from a business standpoint that you'd want 12 stable, healthy franchises before starting an inherently risky expansion franchise from scratch.

And it's not as if Atlanta and Indiana are the only franchises that don't seem to be turning a solid profit. Chicago has always struggled, Washington and Dallas are playing in small arenas (which limit income), and so on down the line.

Thus my skepticism about the business side of expansion.

And then there's the quality of play issue as well ... but that's another thread.

PostPosted: 07/09/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

Since when is owning a WNBA team a profitable business move?

PostPosted: 07/09/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Whelp, that article answers that.
does it? Is a newspaper opinion article any more substantial than a twitter blast?

I do agree that 2020 is overly optimistic, but if they're getting the ball rolling, perhaps 2021.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 07/09/19 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only relationship I can see between a WNBA team in one city having poor attendance and struggling financially, and one starting up in another city, is that any league-wide money being given to teams gets diluted somewhat (from 1/12th to 1/13th) for existing teams.

If a team folds, you have a dispersal draft and continue on. The league had better attendance and TV ratings back when it was going from 16 to 12 teams than during the period when it has been a continuous 12 teams.

But I don't know how Atlanta is surviving. Poor attendance and no jersey deal and the owners - who do sit courtside probably more than any others - don't appear to be filthy rich. At least no NBA-rich.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/09/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They do seem to have their act together and appear to be moving quickly. The amount of press they're getting is clearly a bonus and are very active on social media. We shall see in this off-season how things go.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/09/19 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_smiths_sports_blog/2019/07/09/pumping-the-brakes-on-a-rushed--flawed-wnba-idea.html

How will they put together a roster?

He doesn't help his credibility by asking that question.

Do they have a 10-year business plan in place because that might be how long it takes to operate on even a yearly break-even proposition?

Any business plan involves at least one guess. In this case, WNBA owners have to guess about how many fans will show up and how many companies will sponsor. Inquiring regarding "interest" is better than nothing, but far from exact. So I think the important question is "can they sustain the losses that WNBA franchises suffer, for 10 years?". But there is no reason the franchise has to survive 10 years. The league has had a number of teams who didn't make it 10 years.

stever

PostPosted: 07/12/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merchandise...for a team that doesn't exist, yet? hmmmm

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/12/19 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Or do they ? Cool

PostPosted: 07/12/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

If they're serious about playing next season, they should be designing some things now.

PostPosted: 07/12/19 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think a name and a logo would come before merchandise designs. But then, this whole thing seems pretty cart before horse to me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: