RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OT a Bit - Unique HS Gym

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/05/19 8:56 am    ::: OT a Bit - Unique HS Gym Reply Reply with quote

I've played in similarly small gyms. Laughing I'm sure there are still some others around.

Quote:
This story about a basketball gym? Can’t be told without mentioning the football team being banned 100 years, or the car jutting obscenely out of the schoolhouse wall.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/highschool/2019/07/05/high-school-basketball-gym-straddles-ohio-indiana-state-line/1654293001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/05/19 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoy hearing stories like this. Growing up in rural Minnesota three decades ago there were a lot of small high school venues dotting thecountryside. My graduating class back in the early 80s consisted of 20 kids and the majority of us had gone to school together for 12 years. Crazily enough that small school is still open but similar sized schools have been torn down and students consolidated into larger academic communities as the small farmer and his/her small farm families sold out and moved away. Some of those small schools that had stood for 50 to 60 years had great charm and great character.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/05/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My high school, which was not in the rurals but in New York City (Staten Island), had a short court like that, where the mid-court line was not the half court playing line. In addition, the big side-to-side beams on the ceiling were so low that high arcing shots from the top of the key would sometimes hit them. Shooting from the corners was an especially necessary skill.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/05/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least they do not have to play half-court basketball. I also wonder which state any scoring records would apply too. Would just the baskets that are scored in each state be applied.

Also could a person who took his girlfriend behind the bleachers from one part of the gym to the other, be convicted of the Mann Act? Laughing

PostPosted: 07/06/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I usta play in a gym a bit smaller than that....the three jump circles intersected like a Venn diagram.

NoDakSt wrote:
I enjoy hearing stories like this. Growing up in rural Minnesota three decades ago there were a lot of small high school venues dotting thecountryside. My graduating class back in the early 80s consisted of 20 kids and the majority of us had gone to school together for 12 years. Crazily enough that small school is still open but similar sized schools have been torn down and students consolidated into larger academic communities as the small farmer and his/her small farm families sold out and moved away. Some of those small schools that had stood for 50 to 60 years had great charm and great character.

North Dakota still has so many of those....(I'm thinking SD, NE, KS, etc., do also, I've never been there, tho)....where there isn't another town close enough to consolidate with. LOVE the smaller schools. Razz

PostPosted: 07/07/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

at the school I was at, the bleachers only pulled out about 5 feet so for big games, we'd pull out our music risers and put them on the stage (which was behind one of the baskets and set about 40. Hairs on this.

We had one school that we competed at where the gym functioned as the lunch room so the kitchen abutted the gym. The locker rooms were behind the kitchen so we had to get dressed, walk through the school kitchen, and into the gym.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there's a really good team in the Bay Area, St. Joseph Notre Dame (where Jason Kidd went to high school).

They play in a small gym, and at one end is a stage. The visiting team always starts at that end, with the curtains closed.

SJND, as it's known, is one of the best teams in Northern California, but because of its size, plays in a very weak league, and every league game is a 50-point win. (Could be more if they wanted it to be ...)

So I bring my team in, knowing we're going to get crushed, and we warm up -- and then when the game starts, they open the curtain, so the background you've been practicing with is now changed. And for some games, there's a band on the stage too.

Clever, I guess, but why not save the gimmicks for good teams? And then we were getting pressed down 40 in the fourth quarter with SJND's starters.

Sorry ... I started rambling again ...

PostPosted: 07/08/19 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a gym in our area that looks like a barn and actually has 4 roof support posts that are on the playing court.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/11/19 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the author read the other story and decided to do this article about old gyms in his area. I've been in the Sidney gym, but not for bball game. I know where most of these towns are, but am not familiar with any of the gyms.

Quote:
Uneven floors with dead spots that would buckle when a basketball was dribbled on that spot. Low ceilings, wooden backboards, stages and bleachers that were literally as close to the playing court as possible.

I played in gyms just like the author described in the quote. I remember one gym where they had us dress on the stage one year. That was way better than the last time we were there when we dressed in the basement locker room that smelled so bad we didn't even go there for halftime and then didn't bother to change after the game, we just rode home in our sweaty unis...in winter.

I think that is the same gym that the bleachers were elevated about 6' above the court, with a wall on both sidelines. The scorer sat in the bleachers and when we went to check in, some would have to jump up and wave their arms to get the attention of the scorer. There were benches on the floor for us to sit on, but we had to be careful to pull our feet off of the floor when play came over to the sideline. Oh, the good ol' days. Laughing Laughing

http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/08/10/older-gyms-hold-memories-of-hardwood-encounters/?fbclid=IwAR0NAmJGq5-Cw3bpg-swi9ibN4LLQPKH057ylEidXViyO3tS32v_953HZrw

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
willtalk

PostPosted: 08/13/19 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So there's a really good team in the Bay Area, St. Joseph Notre Dame (where Jason Kidd went to high school).

They play in a small gym, and at one end is a stage. The visiting team always starts at that end, with the curtains closed.

SJND, as it's known, is one of the best teams in Northern California, but because of its size, plays in a very weak league, and every league game is a 50-point win. (Could be more if they wanted it to be ...)

So I bring my team in, knowing we're going to get crushed, and we warm up -- and then when the game starts, they open the curtain, so the background you've been practicing with is now changed. And for some games, there's a band on the stage too.

Clever, I guess, but why not save the gimmicks for good teams? And then we were getting pressed down 40 in the fourth quarter with SJND's starters.

Sorry ... I started rambling again ...
Sounds similar to the Bishop O'Dowd gym? Which one is larger?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: