RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So the President F*cking Hates My Girlfriend
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 07/08/19 3:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan of using the F-word in an online magazine article title and text. But that may be a generational thing. But if you are going to criticize someone as behaving like an "adolescent boy" you probably should not drop F-bombs, which I think are still not considered mature behavior in that setting.

The asterisk seems to have no point. I assume there is something that prevents the full spelling of the word. But whatever law/rule/regulation exists that is designed to remove the F-word from articles, it doesn't have any teeth, as I don't see adding one asterisk as constituting "not using the word".

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/08/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Not a fan of using the F-word in an online magazine article title and text. But that may be a generational thing. But if you are going to criticize someone as behaving like an "adolescent boy" you probably should not drop F-bombs, which I think are still not considered mature behavior in that setting.

The asterisk seems to have no point. I assume there is something that prevents the full spelling of the word. But whatever law/rule/regulation exists that is designed to remove the F-word from articles, it doesn't have any teeth, as I don't see adding one asterisk as constituting "not using the word".

I don't know what generation you're from. I'm 72 years old and using the F-word as they have is fine with me. As is saying or completely spelling any such words.

From the common use of the asterisk this way in newspapers, magazines, and now even online, it's clear that many people--perhaps from my generation--have a big problem with completely spelling out various allegedly "bad" words but accept seeing those words without their full spelling. I find that approach hilarious in its hypocrisy.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
<embed><iframe width="1627" height="656" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2RfFooxIBA0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RfFooxIBA0

I love everything about this.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/08/19 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best moments in the entire history of FOX News.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I would not cuss in a professional journalism piece, but this is a personal essay written in an informal prose style. Not only is it okay to cuss in a piece like this, in this specific case it actually adds to it since it is a specific reference to something well known (Rapinoe's "I'm not going to the fucking white house" comment), and also feeds the theme of the author (Bird) trying to become more Rapinoe like in the way she sees the world--though not quite getting there fully (thus we have a bold, out there title not typical of Sue Bird, but yet is still not full Rapinoe as she hedges with the "*").

As I said in my first post, in my professional opinion, I found this essay supremely well written.

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I would not cuss in a professional journalism piece, but this is a personal essay written in an informal prose style. Not only is it okay to cuss in a piece like this, in this specific case it actually adds to it since it is a specific reference to something well known (Rapinoe's "I'm not going to the fucking white house" comment), and also feeds the theme of the author (Bird) trying to become more Rapinoe like in the way she sees the world--though not quite getting there fully (thus we have a bold, out there title not typical of Sue Bird, but yet is still not full Rapinoe as she hedges with the "*").

As I said in my first post, in my professional opinion, I found this essay supremely well written.

I've always had great admiration for Sue Bird and it's only increased after reading her wonderful personal essay. For me, she can use any fucking word she chooses. Or use asterisks. Smile

P.S. It was way back in 1972 that George Carlin did his famous monologue on "Seven Words You Can Never Say in Television." Now it's 2019 and we still have the same discussions about these allegedly "bad" words. Perhaps by 2070 our culture will be past that.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 07/08/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

isn't it a sequel to this?: "So I Broke My F*cking Nose..."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/sue-bird-seattle-storm

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 07/08/19 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/08/19 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice! I missed that one. That was a good essay as well. That changes my read on the title a bit, makes it clever in a different way, bit still echos the Rapinoe angle.

PostPosted: 07/09/19 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1627" height="656" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8X5ixs8Nsd0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/8X5ixs8Nsd0

PostPosted: 07/09/19 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Genero36, for posting this video. GO MEGAN!!!!

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/10/19 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Thanks so much, Genero36, for posting this video. GO MEGAN!!!!

Welcome.

PostPosted: 07/10/19 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone interested who is outside of New York City and didn't get to see lots of TV coverage, today's tickertape parade honoring the U.S. national team was huge and joyous, with SO many girls and women lining the route. The last part of the ceremony where the players and coaches were given keys to New York was a wonderful statement by Megan Rapinoe. It takes up the first six and a half minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idS1SCPYBbo

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/11/19 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hatemonger vandalizes Megan Rapinoe posters in subway station
https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/hatemonger-vandalizes-megan-rapinoe-posters-in-subway-station/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Sadly, not everyone is on board. But the MTA & NYPD & MSM are taking it seriously. Years ago, the hateful vandalism would have been laughed off.

Last edited by Carol Anne on 07/11/19 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/11/19 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
tfan wrote:

I don't know what generation you're from. I'm 72 years old and using the F-word as they have is fine with me. As is saying or completely spelling any such words.

From the common use of the asterisk this way in newspapers, magazines, and now even online, it's clear that many people--perhaps from my generation--have a big problem with completely spelling out various allegedly "bad" words but accept seeing those words without their full spelling. I find that approach hilarious in its hypocrisy.

I always felt the same way about substituting words in place of "bad" ones. Fudge, gosh darn, shoot, heck, son of a gun.... The meaning is the same, what difference does it make?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: