Board Junkies Forums

Gonzalez twins have eyes on Las Vegas Aces
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Some of these comments are brutal. Do these commenters know these girls?

agree. It's a bit much.

I see both sides here...overuse of sex often at the sacrifice of their talent to get noticed in women's sports is a big issue...

I dealt with it in the WUSA with Heather Mitts and while she decided to get serious and had a good NT career it was draining on her teammates to see her getting the fans cuz she poses in full cleavage dresses in the newspaper and had a different date every week it seemed (this was pre AJ feeley)

Won't even get into kournakova...

Or Erin Crocker who slept her way to a gig at a level she wasn't ready for...which is downright dangerous in NASCAR

I get why there is serious anger especially at slam magazine for putting them above players who are busting their asses in college rather than shaking them on Instagram

I get why pilight is angry....I am angry...on Twitter I called them instatramps I stand by that 1000% they have no place even being discussed for the wnba

It's a very sensitive issue because it's almost goes to both sides of sexism...hot girls will get noticed cuz they're hot....not a good moral for the w.

That said I agree I think we can be better with the vitriol than sex tape and pole dancing jokes

But just to show how close this is...Queenie was like what it's how the Kardashian got started...so yes the Gonzales hit an open nerve....and need to shut it...find a small league somewhere out down the cameras trade the booty popping leggings for real basketball shorts and get to work...then we can talk bout camp invites...otherwise...maybe you can join the cheerleaders and pop stunt shots during time outs

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Some of these comments are brutal. Do these commenters know these girls?

agree. It's a bit much.

Ditto.
Not sure why it's necessary to get judgy and nasty in order to make the point that the WNBA is tough to break into.

Popularity is nice, but it's worth very little to a franchise to have someone who's never going to make it off the bench. People aren't paying to watch someone ride the pine.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish them well in whatever they do, but don't see how they're making the WNBA.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I wish them well in whatever they do, but don't see how they're making the WNBA.

Doesn’t really matter if they make it. The notion that they’re trying could draw a little more attention to the league. Pilight posted a video about it here, so I guess you could say it’s already working. If people actually watched the video pilight posted, they seem pretty realistic about their odds of making the team. They know WNBA players are great, you’re a great player even on the bench, and they are positive about and support the league no matter what. I don’t see how this is a terrible promotion for the league. Nothing else has really worked, so might as well give something like this a try. Might help get the ball rolling.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/19 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

I get why pilight is angry

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. Because of the sex tape joke? The intent was just silliness, maybe some emojis would have made that more clear.

I like the twins. Even follow them on instagram. They're not gonna make a W roster, but a smart team would try to find a way to use their social media savvy.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The twins should try and make a roster in the WBDA first.

https://www.wbdapro.com/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does anyone here have a problem with Aja and Dolson playing in the celebrity game as there was quite a bit of push back on twitter?

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
So does anyone here have a problem with Aja and Dolson playing in the celebrity game as there was quite a bit of push back on twitter?

I didn’t watch it, so I’m not sure what you mean.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to lots of tweeps they either thought it was disrespectful and beneath them that they played in the celebrity game or pathetic that they weren't very good. Take your pick Shocked

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really, this is all on SLAM. If the Gonzalez twins are offered this kind of publicity, they're going to take it ...

It's sad that SLAM has sunk this low.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The twins should try and make a roster in the WBDA first.

https://www.wbdapro.com/

Formerly known as the Blue Chip Basketball League, the WBDA seems to be expanding more rapidly than the WNBA ever could at that pace. Their Minnesota franchise (known as the “TC Queen Elite”) is run by former WNBA player Tamara Moore, a Minneapolis native.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren’t we supposed to be supporting women regardless? Can’t hold the flag for some, and be disrespectful towards others. Some of these comments are flat out disgusting.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aren’t we supposed to be supporting women regardless? Can’t hold the flag for some, and be disrespectful towards others. Some of these comments are flat out disgusting.

You just opened the biggest can of worms in discussion of feminism there is lol is flaunting sexuality good or bad for the overall support of women...literally books and films have been made on the topic...Branded is a great film about this ..and there are other thinkpieces both within womens sports and feminism in general

ive said it before while I too have a harsh opinion at both slam and the gonzalez twins for this article the sex tape comment was out of line.

The pole dancing comment wasn't much better but there is a reason to be angry and I stand by my "instatramps" comment on Twitter so I'm not gonna call the kettle black on that one tho admit it was harsh

in the narrow corner of feminism that is women athletics the long term damage of overmarketing on sex appeal of players often outweighs the short term gain this has been shown empirically

This is who I am (which I'm sure is the root source of the vitriol on this forum) was a marketing disaster for the w...and while tischa could rock leather pants and swin overalls and little else...many more people were offended by the 2 year campaign than were brought to the gate because mmm Becky has her fingers in her belt loops lol lol

Anna k barely made a blip on the womens tennis radar...lpga made nothing off of gublis at least not more than they did when wie was winning tournaments

The force sisters were more popular when they behaved like their daddy on the track rather than mammas in photo shoots

And so on and so forth...

Not that athletes can't be beautiful off court...diggins Christon Tiffany jackson Becky hammon demaya Walker bird list goes on forever...but what will get people spending is on the product which well is the best womens BASKETBALL on planet earth

So as I said it before...the issue is slam is putting above all else 2 women who spurned a career in college to pose on Instagram and cut records...then decide they want to bust into the w above top prospects who yes I'll say it cuz it is true

Top prospects who chose and sacrificed and busted their asses to earn consideration rather than shaking them on Instagram posts

That's where the anger comes from

But yes pilight as much as I respect him was out of line for the sec tape comment

PostPosted: 02/20/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over 17,000 likes on this post. That’s a lot of good free advertising.

Maybe the Aces could hire them as social media correspondents or managers. Although with an Instagram following of over a million, I’m not sure why they even need a regular job? I think they just honestly love the game.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/20/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Tell it to Sarah Palin...

Happycappie25 wrote:
the sex tape comment was out of line

If they're going to be compared to the Kardashians, that's the catalyst. Nobody here would have ever heard of any of them if not Kim's tape.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Over 17,000 likes on this post. That’s a lot of good free advertising.

Maybe the Aces could hire them as social media correspondents or managers. Although with an Instagram following of over a million, I’m not sure why they even need a regular job? I think they just honestly love the game.

Indeed this or even them in the booth depending on skills would likely be the closest win win outcome of this

PostPosted: 02/20/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/07EIxaZ8_hg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dev Peters weighs in

PostPosted: 05/02/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The twins are in Aces camp....as practice players

Here's Dakota guarding Saniya Chong

Pretty sure this is Dylan boxing out (she's the shorter player in a white t-shirt)

PostPosted: 05/02/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good for them. hopefully they're doing their social media thing and giving the Aces good free press.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/07/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="320" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2CXDrAuEPaU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: