Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/07/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
There's some speculation that Johannes isn't coming over this season. That would make eliminating someone much easier. Keep her rights and hopefully she shows up next season.

CITATION NEEDED

Second time on 2 different threads youve said it

Pics or it didn't happen

Gotta dig through Geoff Magliochetti's Twitter, but it was brought up during the Liberty's last home game. I'm sure he'll ask again after today's game on when to expect Zahui B and Hartley and the status of Johannes.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
There's some speculation that Johannes isn't coming over this season. That would make eliminating someone much easier. Keep her rights and hopefully she shows up next season.

CITATION NEEDED

Second time on 2 different threads youve said it

Pics or it didn't happen

Agreed, Happycappie25. Exactly right.

I would be grateful if people avoided vague statements like "There's some speculation..." about a factual matter that may be in question. Anything about a factual matter should have a source so we can each make our decisions about whether that source seems trustworthy.

Exactly who is speculating that Johannes may not come to New York? Respected French journalists who write about basketball? Anonymous posters on some other message board?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The word speculation implies uncertainty so I’m not mad at Toad’s use of it here, though obviously something definitive would be nice. Looking through Geoff M.’s twitter and can’t find anything. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Dude tweets about every sport. I guess he covers everything. It feels like there’s hundreds of tweets to sort through.

PostPosted: 07/07/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The word speculation implies uncertainty so I’m not mad at Toad’s use of it here, though obviously something definitive would be nice. Looking through Geoff M.’s twitter and can’t find anything. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Dude tweets about every sport. I guess he covers everything. It feels like there’s hundreds of tweets to sort through.

With the NBA free agency, it's hard to dig back into his Twitter to find it, but he did ask about her and there wasn't a definitive answer from Smith.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah man totally understood.

PostPosted: 07/07/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://winsidr.com/2019/07/07/the-new-york-liberty-have-some-tough-interesting-decisions-to-make/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
If Johannes’ French options open up, it’s possible she could spend the year there to make things a bit easier on the roster. The same option could present itself with Han in China. If that happens, the Liberty would have to place a player on the suspended list and allow the international slate to works itself out.
[/quote]

pilight

PostPosted: 07/07/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lib don't really need Johannes anyway

PostPosted: 07/07/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
I wanna know how is her defense? I asked that question cuz Boyd and Wright has been playing good defense as late.

In this clip (I think it’s a little more enhanced version of the previous clip), you can view 3 steals and 1 block byJohannes. Against Great Britain (wimpy team, I know), Johannes had 5 steals and two blocks.

She seemed somewhat subdued in the previous games in this tournament, but she unleashed in this game.

<iframe width="640" height="320" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ygJG0DkvBow" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 07/07/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Lib don't really need Johannes anyway

Agreed. Why throw off the good chemistry? Hold her rights and see if she shows up next season.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/07/19 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is from a translated article dated July 7.
https://www.nach-welt.com/sport/eurobasket-marine-johannes-die-oben-genannte-klasse/

Quote:
Former Mondeville, born in Lisieux in 1995, will play New York Liberty WNBA throughout the summer. The women's version of the NBA opens its arms wide: "It's just a dream come true," she says. "New York is the only city in the United States I've been to right now. What happens to me is huge."

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that Rebecca Allen is seemingly close to returning, given Katie Smith's comment about when the others are seemingly returning, it's going to be very interesting to see who's on the Liberty roster and in uniform on Friday.

And, over time, who plays, how much, when, and in what positions.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Figuring on 7/20 as a date where the positions in the rotations for the returning players should be indicative of where they’re at moving forward. Johannes to be determined based on how quickly she acclimates. I think she will learn the system fast.

I’m really excited about Johannes.

PostPosted: 07/08/19 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh well. At least we don't have to worry about the players coming back next week and spoiling our chemistry.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And just like that, we're down to 9th place. That's how crowded the standings are from 4th-10th. Hopefully we rebound and win on Friday and get back to .500.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And just like that, we're down to 9th place. That's how crowded the standings are from 4th-10th. Hopefully we rebound and win on Friday and get back to .500.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui B stuck in Serbia due to cancelled flights.

https://twitter.com/AmandaZahuiB/status/1148192092356845568?s=19

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw a Liberty announcement on Facebook that Tiffany Bias has been waived. (There's also a notice on the Liberty website.) I feel sad for her.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Zahui B stuck in Serbia due to cancelled flights.

https://twitter.com/AmandaZahuiB/status/1148192092356845568?s=19

Good grief!

PostPosted: 07/08/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well That sucks, thank you Bias for your service.

To be honest I'm pretty damn excited, Boyd drove me crazy yesterday with her usual turnover, fumbling self.

Like NYLWNBAFAN said I hope Miss Johannes learns the system fast so we can start cutting down Boyd's minutes. I am tired. We need to make teams pay for doubling or sagging off like they do to Boyd all the time

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bias was the clear cut from the beginning. She had to know this. Now the question remains who the other cut is. Allen & Stokes should be ready for Friday. Zahui B is delayed in Serbia, so her ETA is unknown for now. No status of Hartley and Johannes' arrival, but they're expected to arrive by Friday.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/08/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
well That sucks, thank you Bias for your service.

To be honest I'm pretty damn excited, Boyd drove me crazy yesterday with her usual turnover, fumbling self.

Like NYLWNBAFAN said I hope Miss Johannes learns the system fast so we can start cutting down Boyd's minutes. I am tired. We need to make teams pay for doubling or sagging off like they do to Boyd all the time

Realistically, initially it should be Hartley taking Boyd minutes. Wright will continue to back Durr. Johannes buried 5 deep.

The All Star break should be a good time to get some hard core practice in.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/08/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it a little crazymaking thinking about Brittany Boyd.

Over four previous seasons with the Liberty, at times she showed great promise. Many of us wondered what it would be like if she could stay healthy and settle into being our starting point guard. Of course there were questions and not just about her shooting.

Now, for almost half a season, she's been healthy and has been the starting point guard. She's played 24.5 minutes per game and is second in the WNBA with 5.9 assists per game. That's a great stat! And yet...

And yet her outside shooting, while perhaps slightly better, is still subpar.

And yet we still can't trust Boyd to make an open layup.

But, most important to me, despite her impressive 5.9 assists per game, despite the fact that she's made many beautiful passes, Boyd has questionable judgment. A point guard has to make the right decisions. Boyd too often doesn't.

Going forward, this team will need a solid starting point guard. I don't know if Johannes can succeed in that role; I hope so. I know it isn't Boyd and I know it isn't Hartley.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/new-york-liberty-vs-las-vegas-aces-7-7-2019-recap/

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
We need to make teams pay for doubling or sagging off like they do to Boyd all the time

I've despaired about Boyd's shooting since her days at Cal. But she's really like DRob in a lot of ways...and DRob has managed to improve her shooting so maybe there is hope down the road for Boyd as well. It really is a matter of dedicating to it, and possibly getting the right one on one coaching.

- Amanda Gorman
przemoe

PostPosted: 07/08/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone knows why Bec is not playing?

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 73 of 91

Jump to: