RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with McCarty is at the other end of the floor ... it's tough for a player her size to defend in this league.

And she's 3-for-16 on two-point shots, though her three-point percentage is very good.

PostPosted: 06/14/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
McCarty-Williams/(Diggins)
Gray/Ogunbowale/(Hill)
Thornton/Davis
Johnson/Stevens/Plaisance
Harrison/McGee-Stafford/Gustafson

So who, in your mind, goes when Jefferson starts in a few weeks?

Hard to say. I don’t think they’ve figured it out themselves. This team is unpredictable.

They started Davis at PG last night. BMW ended up with a slight edge in playing time, and maybe a slight edge in performance too.

I noticed they listed Diggins as “inactive” at the same time they signed Gustafson. This kinda makes sense otherwise they’d have 13 active players. Is “inactive” a more PC term for temporarily suspended? Once Johnson leaves they can activate Diggins again?

I think it’s going to take a while for Jefferson to get up to speed with a whole new team and no training camp. Agler is not really a “throw em out there and wing it” type of coach. That was more Fred Williams style.

Richyyy alluded to Dallas possibly swallowing Hill’s contract, but I’m not sure he remembered that she’s also signed for next year. I don’t think they’d want to burn that much cap space for next year, and I’m not sure she has much incentive to settle for less.

Both Plaisance and IMS stepped up in this last game, so I’m not sure how Gustafson fits in long term. Maybe a PR move, since they got tore up by social media when they cut her. But they’ll just tear them up even more if they cut her again. They could be painting themselves into a corner with this move.

Maybe they’ll decide to make a long term project out of Gustafson and put trade feelers out for IMS, Plaisance, Davis or even Harrison or Stevens. They are all nice role players so they should draw some interest. I don’t think the BMW has any trade value at this point.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/14/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The problem with McCarty is at the other end of the floor ... it's tough for a player her size to defend in this league.

And she's 3-for-16 on two-point shots, though her three-point percentage is very good.

Agree, it's just too bad because she's an excellent PG and Leader but her size and strength are overly challenging for the WNBA, in that it affects her offensively, as you've pointed out and she's a defensive target for posting up and shooting over.

Mojo

PostPosted: 06/14/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming the rule I googled is current, each team is allowed to have two players listed as inactive. It appears the move to list Diggins-Smith as inactive was to sign Gustafson.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/14/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Wings re-sign Megan Gustafson

Yay. I hope she fits in as a 4. Cool

PostPosted: 06/14/19 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Wings re-sign Megan Gustafson

Yay. I hope she fits in as a 4. Cool

Or a PG.... Laughing

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/15/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
Assuming the rule I googled is current, each team is allowed to have two players listed as inactive. It appears the move to list Diggins-Smith as inactive was to sign Gustafson.

According to this June 2017 article, the 2-person inactive list existed from 2006 to 2008 but is no longer in use

Quote:
It wasn't always this way. The league had an injury list from 1997-2005. Players had to sit out a minimum of three games from the date they were placed on the list. Then, the WNBA had a two-person inactive list from 2006-08 before rosters were reduced to 11 in 2009. Rosters are back up to 12 now. There is a clause in the current CBA that if a team gets below 10 healthy players they can sign a replacement player until they get back above 10.

Diggins-Smith's status is unclear because Maternity Leave is covered by the CBA, but they don't explain how it affects roster spots or salary cap. Normally, if a player is under contract, they are either on the roster or suspended. If they are suspended they don't get paid. However, players on Maternity Leave get paid 50% of their salary, so it implies that Skylar is on the 12-player roster. Nonetheless, you never know with this league. It's quite possible they have a third status for Maternity that isn't in the CBA. Maybe it's documented in a later amendment that was not released to the public. Or it's possible the status was labeled in such a way that I simply haven't found it while searching keywords. Otherwise, as I explained before, Dallas is probably using Diggins-Hill as a long-term injury pairing for the Hardship exemption or a Diggins-Hill-Ogunbowale combination to meet the 3 players unavailable criteria for Emergency Hardship.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Mojo wrote:

According to this June 2017 article, the 2-person inactive list existed from 2006 to 2008 but is no longer in use

Quote:
It wasn't always this way. The league had an injury list from 1997-2005. Players had to sit out a minimum of three games from the date they were placed on the list. Then, the WNBA had a two-person inactive list from 2006-08 before rosters were reduced to 11 in 2009. Rosters are back up to 12 now. There is a clause in the current CBA that if a team gets below 10 healthy players they can sign a replacement player until they get back above 10.

Diggins-Smith's status is unclear because Maternity Leave is covered by the CBA, but they don't explain how it affects roster spots or salary cap. Normally, if a player is under contract, they are either on the roster or suspended. If they are suspended they don't get paid. However, players on Maternity Leave get paid 50% of their salary, so it implies that Skylar is on the 12-player roster. Nonetheless, you never know with this league. It's quite possible they have a third status for Maternity that isn't in the CBA. Maybe it's documented in a later amendment that was not released to the public. Or it's possible the status was labeled in such a way that I simply haven't found it while searching keywords. Otherwise, as I explained before, Dallas is probably using Diggins-Hill as a long-term injury pairing for the Hardship exemption or a Diggins-Hill-Ogunbowale combination to meet the 3 players unavailable criteria for Emergency Hardship.

If you locate where to read details on player rosters, I would like to read it.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/18/19 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is GloJo doing the Eurobasket thing? Or why is she temp suspended?

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/18/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is GloJo doing the Eurobasket thing? Or why is she temp suspended?

Yes

PostPosted: 06/18/19 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are women athletes forced to choose between sponsorship and motherhood?
By Anna Katherine Clemmons | Jun 18, 2019
Special to espnW

Quote:
Current Dallas Wings guard Tayler Hill, the fourth overall pick in the 2013 WNBA draft, learned that she was pregnant later that year. She had signed a contract with Nike and was told that her contract would be reduced while she wasn't playing. "I guess maybe I understood it, because they did my contract off of me playing," Hill said, "But I was still on the roster, so I wasn't inactive or on injured reserve."

Hill, then with the Washington Mystics, gave birth to her son in June 2014 and missed most of that season. When she returned to the WNBA in 2015, Nike resumed her contract. (She is no longer signed with Nike.)

http://www.espn.com/espnw/life-style/article/26964549/are-women-athletes-forced-choose-sponsorship-motherhood

Adanet

PostPosted: 06/19/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Special to espnW

Quote:
Current Dallas Wings guard Tayler Hill, the fourth overall pick in the 2013 WNBA draft, learned that she was pregnant later that year. She had signed a contract with Nike and was told that her contract would be reduced while she wasn't playing. "I guess maybe I understood it, because they did my contract off of me playing," Hill said, "But I was still on the roster, so I wasn't inactive or on injured reserve."

Hill, then with the Washington Mystics, gave birth to her son in June 2014 and missed most of that season. When she returned to the WNBA in 2015, Nike resumed her contract. (She is no longer signed with Nike.)

http://www.espn.com/espnw/life-style/article/26964549/are-women-athletes-forced-choose-sponsorship-motherhood

That's.. .wow... In european countries she could sue them

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/19/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adanet wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Special to espnW

Quote:

That's.. .wow... In european countries she could sue them

After reading this story about Nike, it is unfortunate that the WNBA has Nike as a sponsor. I wish that they would have had the power to choose their uniform sponsor but they don't because they are linked to the NBA. It almost like Nike and other companies see pregnancy as some type of negative stigmatism for female athletes.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/19/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
After reading this story about Nike, it is unfortunate that the WNBA has Nike as a sponsor. I wish that they would have had the power to choose their uniform sponsor but they don't because they are linked to the NBA. It almost like Nike and other companies see pregnancy as some type of negative stigmatism for female athletes.

Since athletes recently spoke out, Nike has responded publicly. In lieu of a full interview with espnW, a Nike spokesperson sent the company's revised policy, which was released on May 24. It reads:

Quote:
"Our mission has always been to support athletes as they strive to be their best and compete at the highest level of their sport. At the same time, we are committed to supporting women as they decide how to be both great mothers and great athletes. In 2018 we created an official policy standardizing our approach across all sports, so no female athlete is penalized financially for pregnancy. While the specifics of each athlete and sport may be unique, we are waiving performance reductions for 12 months for those athletes who decide to have a baby. We've already begun connecting with all of our contracted female athletes and will include written terms of our policy in all our contracts. We've recognized Nike, Inc. can do more and there is an important opportunity for the sports industry collectively to evolve to better support female athletes."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've largely been away from WNBA following for the last week - did anyone investigate and/or discover what the hell 'Diggins-Smith, Skylar - Inactive' appearing on the Transactions page for June 13th actually means? Struggling to understand why her status would be changing at this point, or what 'Inactive' is supposed to mean within a WNBA framework.

PostPosted: 06/21/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I first brought it up at the top of the page here, but no one seemed to know for sure. Clearly it was something they needed to do or they’d be over the 12 player limit. Now that Johnson is gone, is Diggins active again (not that it matters that much to the team but maybe it does to Diggins)? WNBA Transaction page is of little help since they sporadically update it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/21/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I've largely been away from WNBA following for the last week - did anyone investigate and/or discover what the hell 'Diggins-Smith, Skylar - Inactive' appearing on the Transactions page for June 13th actually means? Struggling to understand why her status would be changing at this point, or what 'Inactive' is supposed to mean within a WNBA framework.

Other than the June 2017 article that I linked to in my earlier post, which said the Inactive status no longer exists, I haven't found anything else. My last version of the 2014-2021 CBA only mentions the word "inactive" twice in the entire document. They show up in reference to Merit Bonuses:

Quote:
Section 1. Payment of Merit Bonuses.
During each Season covered by this Agreement, the WNBA and/or the Teams shall pay the merit bonuses set forth in Section 2 below. To be eligible to earn a Team bonus, a player must be on the Regular Season roster of the applicable Team on the last day of the Regular Season; provided, however, that any player who was on the Regular Season roster for two-thirds of the Regular Season games for a Team that makes the playoffs, but not on the Regular Season roster on the last day of the Regular Season for any Team, shall receive a two hundred and fifty dollar ($250) bonus. If a player who is eligible to earn a Team bonus was not on the active or inactive list of such Team for the entirety of the Regular Season, any bonus paid to such player shall be prorated based upon the number of days of the Regular Season that such player was on the active or inactive list of such Team for such Season.

Since there is no definition of inactive list anywhere, my guess is that this is left over verbiage from the previous CBA that never got updated. The Emergency Hardship wording is vague enough so that you don't need any other status designation to make it work:

Quote:
Emergency Hardship.
(1) If a Team during the Regular Season, as a result of injuries, illnesses, other conditions or other extenuating circumstances that have affected its players, has less than ten (10) players on its roster who are able to play, it may apply to the WNBA to obtain an Exception to sign one or more Replacement Player(s) to Replacement Contract(s) to replace one or more of the Team’s unavailable Players.

In addition, as we all know too well, WNBA.com isn't always correct. Whoever does the posting is not necessarily knowledgeable. Similarly, the PR people who send out press releases are not necessarily knowlegeable. Or maybe a busy administrative assistant who files team paperwork simply choses a descriptive term when they don't know the official wording. A lot of things can go wrong along the whole chain of information dissemination. This is especially true when dealing with arcane stuff like the CBA.

PostPosted: 06/21/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So yeah, 'fuck knows', like usual with this league. Thanks.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the game against Connecticut the announcers commented numerous times that Dallas was playing good defense. Overall, I agree.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/22/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about Azura Stevens's injury? Is she expected back this season?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2019/07/26/wings-gm-greg-bibb-shares-arike-ogunbowale-rookie-year-thus-far-updates-skylar-diggins-smith

Quote:
Q: Is there any update on Skylar Diggins-Smith or Moriah Jefferson's status? You've said you have a hunch Jefferson will play for the Wings this season and the organization has said that Diggins-Smith will likely return at some point this year.
Bibb: "In terms of Skylar, that situation remains the same. It's 100% up to Skylar. We're going to support her and her timeline and when she says she's ready to go, we're going to welcome her back. Until she's ready to go, she needs to focus on getting herself healthy and getting her family situated and feeling good about all of that.

"In terms of Moriah, I do not have an update at this point."

Quote:
Q: Is there any chance of Tayler Hill or Azura Stevens returning this season? I know Hill had her surgery on her knee recently.
Bibb: "I think it's very unlikely that Tayler will return this year. In terms of Azura, we're in a window right now where the focus is on resting her foot and letting it calm down and in a couple of weeks, I think she'll be re-evaluated and some decisions will be made at that time."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the first season in league history where Brian Agler has finally worked out the rudimentary elements of tanking. No one is rushing back.

PostPosted: 07/27/19 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas could really use Lauren Cox to build its post personnel around, but I think that would require getting at least the #2 pick. New York, so long as it stays out of the playoffs, and Indiana stand a much better chance at getting the top-2 picks given the 2-year record thing, and tbh this Tulsa/Dallas franchise has just not been very lucky in the lottery... The Wings' tanking attempt might only net them the #4 pick, which could still become a Hebard or a Mompremier, but of course neither is Cox. Wings fans at this point should root for New York to make the playoffs and push out a team not named Chicago, who finished worse than them in 2018; as well as hope that Atlanta doesn't catch fire and blaze into the playoffs.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/19 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bonus of Hill & Stevens not returning this season means Gustafson sticks on the roster. her fans will be happy even though she's glued to the end of the bench.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/27/19 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Dallas could really use Lauren Cox to build its post personnel around, but I think that would require getting at least the #2 pick.

It will definitely require a Top 2 pick. There is no way anyone besides Cox and Ionescu is taken in the top 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 40 of 44

Jump to: