RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Odyssey Sims Arrested
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 06/26/19 5:51 pm    ::: Odyssey Sims Arrested Reply Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-guard-odyssey-sims-arrested-on-suspicion-of-drunken-driving/511858902/

Quote:
Minnesota Lynx guard Odyssey Sims was arrested shortly after 1 a.m. June 6 by the Minnesota State Patrol on suspicion of drunken driving.

The 26-year-old Sims faces two gross misdemeanor charges of third-degree DWI.

Oh boy, this doesn't sound good.

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to hear this. Alcohol in excess is evil and produces all sorts of social, psychological and physical harms, especially when combined with cars.

Despite those strong-spirited opinions of mine, I'll abstain from the RebKell vigilante posse that will surely round up to toss Sims from the team.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sad to hear this. Alcohol in excess is evil and produces all sorts of social, psychological and physical harms, especially when combined with cars.

Despite those strong-spirited opinions of mine, I'll abstain from the RebKell vigilante posse that will surely round up to toss Sims from the team.

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dammit, Sims. No commonsense.

Now watch her end up with a bigger penalty than Riquna Williams.

Quote:
In Minnesota, drivers face third degree DWI charges when arrested for allegedly committing a DWI with one “aggravating factor” present. Aggravating factors include:

Having a qualified prior impaired driving incident within the 10 years immediately preceding the current offense
Having an alcohol concentration of 0.20 or more as measured at the time, or within 2 hours of the time, of the offense
Having a child under the age of 16 in the motor vehicle at the time of the offense if the child is more than 36 months younger than the offender.

Penalties
A third degree DWI charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days in jail. However, how the 30 days is served may vary depending on the county or city where the case is, the driver’s record, and the circumstances surrounding the DWI incident. Minnesota law requires a minimum of 48 hours to be served in jail with the remaining 28 days on electronic home monitoring (sometimes called “house arrest”). Additional consequences stemming from a gross misdemeanor third degree DWI arrest may include probation for 2 or more years, completion of a chemical dependency evaluation (sometimes called an alcohol assessment or a Rule 25), attendance at a Mother’s Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Victim Impact Panel, and a fine.

A third degree DWI charge usually comes with a separate license revocation of 1-2 years depending on whether the driver has any prior criminal DWI convictions within the past 10 years or any alcohol-related drivers license revocations in the past 10 years. Third degree DWI charges may also trigger a revocation of driver’s license plates. During the period of license plate revocation, a driver must obtain special issue plates (also called “W” or “whiskey plates”) in order to operate a motor vehicle. This applies not only to the vehicle used during a DWI incident but also any other vehicle the driver owns title to. The maximum penalty for a gross misdemeanor third degree DWI is 1 year in jail and/or a $3,000.00 fine, however it is rare for a person to receive a maximum sentence. Third degree DWI can also refer to criminal test refusal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/26/19 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The start of the article:
Quote:
Minnesota Lynx guard Odyssey Sims was arrested shortly after 1 a.m. June 6 by the Minnesota State Patrol on suspicion of drunken driving.

June 6th? Either this is a typo when it should have read June 26, or for some reason, the police don't publicly reveal arrests until a few weeks after the fact?

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lane violations from elite players are unacceptable IMO

zune69

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn Odyssey...I was rooting for you...Just stupid and irresponsible....Hopefully you get the help that you need.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/26/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely embarrassing that the Lynx allowed her to suit up and play the same day that she was arrested.

PostPosted: 06/26/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure the same people who wanted to give Diana Taurasi a pass for her DUI will do the same for Sims

PostPosted: 06/26/19 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IIRC Taurasi was suspended for 2 games. Don't recall if the Monarchs suspended Brunson for hers back in 2007.

Disappointing for sure. Drinking and driving is incredibly reckless, selfish, and stupid.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
The start of the article:
Quote:

June 6th? Either this is a typo when it should have read June 26, or for some reason, the police don't publicly reveal arrests until a few weeks after the fact?

In just about all places I've been, the police don't publicly reveal routine arrests at all, although they are available to the public.

In the old days, the local newspaper would have a reporter on the police/court beat, who would go in person to the court house to search through all the arrest records and court filings for interesting news. In one town I lived in, the local paper felt a public duty to publish all drunk driving and criminal arrests.

Today, most court filings can be found by computer access, though there may be a time lag before the documents are logged into the court computers. I can't find Sims' arrest record on the Hennepin County court site, but I have accessed all of Riquna Williams' records in Florida.
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/26/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/26/19 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

I know Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes I just have to wonder about these players' intelligence or common sense. This kind of thing is so, so stupid!

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 06/26/19 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Making bad decisions in respect to ' driving" has always been a problem for Sims.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 6:07 am    ::: Suspend Her Reply Reply with quote

Require counseling and suspend her.

Stupid stupid stupid.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm sure the same people who wanted to give Diana Taurasi a pass for her DUI will do the same for Sims

Did anyone on this board give DT a break for it? She tends to be tarred and feathered from anyone who isn’t a Merc fans. It remains the one thing DT has done that really bothered me.

It’s irresponsible and selfish. The teenagers I work with know better..but people shouldn’t be defined by the worst things they have ever done. DT took responsibility and grew from it. I hope Sims does the same.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players that have had a DUI

Brunson
Taurasi
Kia Vaughn? Or am i mixing her up with someone else?
Sims

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Players that have had a DUI

Brunson
Taurasi
Kia Vaughn? Or am i mixing her up with someone else?
Sims

I don't remember Kia Vaughn getting one. I do remember Kara Braxton getting at least two, which might be who you're thinking of.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"According to an arrest report obtained by Kent Youngblood of the Star Tribune, Sims was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation around 1 a.m. After she failed three field sobriety tests, Sims had two breathalyzer tests, one showing a reading of .206 and another at the police station showing .20. The legal limit in Minnesota is .08."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842974-lynxs-odyssey-sims-arrested-on-suspicion-of-drunk-driving-faces-2-charges
Shocked

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/27/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Did anyone on this board give DT a break for it?

Maybe not on this board, but the league sure did.

If Sims gets anything worse than a 2-game suspension, she and the Lynx will have a serious complaint against the league for favoritism.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/27/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Did anyone on this board give DT a break for it?

Maybe not on this board, but the league sure did.

If Sims gets anything worse than a 2-game suspension, she and the Lynx will have a serious complaint against the league for favoritism.

If I remember right, the Mercury suspended DT for a couple of games and I guess the league agreed that was appropriate.

There's really no excuse for driving drunk, especially in the Uber era. But on the other hand if Sims gets anything worse than a 0-game suspension she could rightly question why putting other road users at risk of injury or property damage will get you suspended by this league while actually attacking a person won't.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/27/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll see how this plays out, but if Sims get suspended before the court case runs its course, and Riquna Williams is still playing, there's something very wrong with the WNBA.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
We'll see how this plays out, but if Sims get suspended before the court case runs its course, and Riquna Williams is still playing, there's something very wrong with the WNBA.

The Lynx should suspend her for at least a couple of games and not wait for the league. The fact that Williams is playing is unconscionable, but that shouldn't excuse the Lynx for inaction. I want them to be better and not lower themselves to the standards of other teams. A team can define their own culture and what is acceptable to them, they don't have to wait on the league.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The Lynx should suspend her for at least a couple of games and not wait for the league. The fact that Williams is playing is unconscionable, but that shouldn't excuse the Lynx for inaction. I want them to be better and not lower themselves to the standards of other teams. A team can define their own culture and what is acceptable to them, they don't have to wait on the league.

I agree, the Lynx should be proactive so that way the WNBA does not get involved. However, In the NBA there have been DV and DUI cases where the teams handle things in house which can mean a suspension and fine or severing ties with a player. They tend to wait to see how things pan out in the legal system before they do anything.
Maybe the Lynx are waiting to see how her case pans out before they decide to suspend her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: