RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tankers = Merc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/23/19 5:46 pm    ::: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

They need to be punished. They are obviously tanking again! The 2012 tank job to get Griner. And now people want to give Bonner accolades such as MVP top 3 and first team all WNBA? The Merc should be absolutely banned from all awards and fined for their poor efforts. Shout out to the teams who are actually "down" this year, but still giving good efforts and putting their teams into situations to win. Despicable!!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/19 6:25 pm    ::: Re: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
They need to be punished. They are obviously tanking again! The 2012 tank job to get Griner. And now people want to give Bonner accolades such as MVP top 3 and first team all WNBA? The Merc should be absolutely banned from all awards and fined for their poor efforts. Shout out to the teams who are actually "down" this year, but still giving good efforts and putting their teams into situations to win. Despicable!!

#FakeNews

Sadly we have just sucked a lot this season. Tanking doesn't add up to me at all this season.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/19 6:27 pm    ::: Re: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

#FakeNews

Sadly we have just sucked a lot this season. Tanking doesn't add up to me at all this season.

Better send them this message because they're winning right now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/19 6:37 pm    ::: Re: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

#FakeNews

Interesting matchup, this one. 2 teams with plenty of talent, but not the greatest balance, and both have been major underachievers. Someone will end up with a win that looks good on paper but is nothing to really brag about. Merc doing ok considering how bricky Bonner has been so far. Luckily The Closer hasn't been on target yet either, but that doesn't tend to hold true in the 4th.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/23/19 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. 2012 was terrible, but this is not anything like that.

To be comparable, as soon as DT went down, Bonner would have had to have had emergency dental surgery that forced her to miss most of the year and Griner would have had taken time off for rest.

Now, if they are completely out of it I could see them not having DT come back at all this season, and I guess some would call that "tanking", but I personally wouldn't have an issue with it as it would make sense for reasons beyond "better draft pick", or trying to "suck for the duck".

PostPosted: 06/23/19 6:58 pm    ::: Re: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

#FakeNews

Well duh. In tanking, you have to win a few games. Rolling Eyes

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/23/19 8:53 pm    ::: Re: Tankers = Merc Reply Reply with quote

Nah, they’re just making a case for DT getting MVP. Razz

PostPosted: 06/23/19 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well luc, your picture is of a big tank and a Merc symbol. Hence the Merc Tankers Wink

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Well luc, your picture is of a big tank and a Merc symbol. Hence the Merc Tankers Wink

Laughing Very good observation

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/24/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the repetitive tank talk on RebKell, year after year and team after team, makes my head hurt. I don't believe any team would intentionally lose games over an entire season on a lottery gamble. It likely would be illegal. College players and coaches went to jail or lost their jobs -- or were banned from the NBA -- for throwing college games in the 1950's.

I've interpreted Luuuc's avatar as a sarcastic comment on the past, not a prediction of the future. But just to be sure, we should subpoena the date on which he adopted his current avatar and what his avatar was before that. Memory fails.
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could it have been 6 years ago when they drafted Brittney Griner ? Rolling Eyes

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/24/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they're necessarily tanking, but I will say based on past events, I will be pretty upset if they somehow wind up with the #1 draft pick.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/24/19 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
All the repetitive tank talk on RebKell, year after year and team after team, makes my head hurt. I don't believe any team would intentionally lose games over an entire season on a lottery gamble. It likely would be illegal. College players and coaches went to jail or lost their jobs -- or were banned from the NBA -- for throwing college games in the 1950's.

I've interpreted Luuuc's avatar as a sarcastic comment on the past, not a prediction of the future. But just to be sure, we should subpoena the date on which he adopted his current avatar and what his avatar was before that. Memory fails.

No team has ever intentionally thrown actual games, at least to my knowledge, and it would shock me greatly to learn that that did.

The most egregious "tanking" job, and the point of Luuuc's avatar is the 2012 Phoenix Mercury (because if your team does it, you might as well lean in and own it, because they aren't going to take your rings away!). It is what people are salty about still, and what lead the league to move to the lottery odds being a team's record over the last 2 years instead of one.

In a traditional sense, a team "tanks" by entering a rebuild phase and selling off all their high-end talent for future assets--which accomplishes two things 1) gets them younger so they can have their team hit their prime windows together, and 2) less talent means less wins so they get better draft picks, thus are more likely to land a superstar.

Now most years this comes with a huge risk: you tank and you don't win the lotto and you set back your team a ton. But 2012 was a special circumstance. It was the 3-to-see year. If you ended up in the lotto, you had a 75% chance of getting a generational talent: Britney Griner, EDD, or Skylar Diggins. The risk is not so bad.

Now, what pisses people off about the Mercury. Remember that whole "rebuild" thing that usually teams do when they tank? Yeah, not so much with the Mercury. The Mercury were a very good team. They had just played in the Western Conference finals, losing to the eventual champions, the Lynx, and were considered the 2nd best team in the league that year. But during the off season Penny Taylor went down with a knee injury an was going to miss the entire year. They then sat Diana Taurasi and Candice Dupree for large portions of the year, basically playing their JV squad. Yet they kept all their player's rights. So all their stars that made them the second best team in the league the year before were coming back, they were just not playing them for the one season that happened to have a huge reward for finishing on the bottom. They finished with the second worst record in the league that year. They didn't "throw" games--the players on the floor played their hearts out--but they did artificially deflate their talent level. In the end they won the draft lotto and drafted Griner.

They would win the 2014 WNBA Championship.

Anyway, yeah, 2012 was bad.

This is not 2012. There's nothing like that happening this year.

PostPosted: 06/24/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Phoenix gets first pick next year, I’ll quit watching. Or Seattle /Minny for that matter

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The talent distribution in this league continues to be one of its two biggest problems (stars sitting out entire seasons is the other).

I sincerely think the league needs a rule that the lottery team with the most recent No. 1 pick is ineligible to get that pick in the lottery. The best they can do is No. 2. That way the ridiculousness of Seattle (Bird/Jackson and Loyd/Stewart pairs in consecutive years) and SAS/Aces (Plum, Wilson, Young) would never have happened.

In a league where the No. 1 picks is so valuable, you have to make sure they spread around.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that avoiding situations like that would be preferable, but a problem with a blanket rule like that is that the quality of lottery picks is quite variable from year to year.
#1 pick in 2016 or 2018 could really turn a team around quickly. 2017 or 2019, not so much.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I agree that avoiding situations like that would be preferable, but a problem with a blanket rule like that is that the quality of lottery picks is quite variable from year to year.
#1 pick in 2016 or 2018 could really turn a team around quickly. 2017 or 2019, not so much.

Most No. 1 picks are in of the 2016/18 variety. And they are virtually always notably better than the No. 2 picks.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/25/19 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Most No. 1 picks are in of the 2016/18 variety. And they are virtually always notably better than the No. 2 picks.

But you never know ... the Warriors got the first overall pick one season, after years of struggle. The best player available? Joe Smith.

And by that rule change, they would be ineligible to get another No. 1, which is just unfair. And some years, No. 2 is really good.

I like the two-year rule, so far. It keeps a team like Seattle, tanking or not, from getting the best shot at Ionescu or Cox.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: