RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

She the North? Making case for a Toronto WNBA team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59973
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 2:44 pm    ::: She the North? Making case for a Toronto WNBA team Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-wnba-team-1.5160836

Quote:
As for whether a women's team will draw as much attention as the Raptors, Clarke said there's still work to do, but just look at the women's basketball finals at Toronto's Pan Am Games in 2015.

"The building was sold out," she said, as the Canadian women took home the gold.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 816
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be willing to bet that a WNBA team would draw well in Canada.



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think so, too! Fingers crossed!



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10118



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

High school basketball in eastern Canada is definitely on the rise as well. Lots of talent ...

But what about women's college basketball? Is there any interest in Toronto?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52995



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Drake could buy a team. That would draw some attention to the league. JayZ would have to compete with another team in New York.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justinabina



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 159



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
High school basketball in eastern Canada is definitely on the rise as well. Lots of talent ...

But what about women's college basketball? Is there any interest in Toronto?


Kia Nurse and Natalie Achonwa got some media coverage here as college athletes. U.S. college basketball on the whole doesn’t get quite the same coverage and hype in Canada during the season, although plenty of people do follow the men’s tournament. (The teens I know don’t really, though - they’ll have heard of Duke and Zion Williamson, but otherwise they’re more about the NBA and its superstars.)

The UConn-Duquesne game at Ryerson U’s Mattamy Athletics Centre (former Maple Leaf Gardens) during Nurse’s senior year was well-attended. That was also the site of the Pan Am Games basketball events. It would be a great venue for a WNBA team - right downtown on the subway line, near good restaurants and shopping and other touristy spots.

The Raptors have long had a terrific fan base and basketball is very popular here, and right now the city is just lit with Finals fever. I can see a WNBA team succeeding here. It’d be awesome if that happened.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though I don't think expansion happens until all 12 current teams are solid. My only worry now is Atlanta. Could the Dream move to the Hawks' new G-League arena? I know it's capacity is slightly larger than what the Mystics play at.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8887
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I would be willing to bet that a WNBA team would draw well in Canada.



+1



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 10018



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think so, too! Fingers crossed!


That would be huge for the league. Especially, if there is more than one successful team in Canada. This would add another dimension to the league and how far much more successful it can be.



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We bring up the usual markets that should have a team. Houston, Sacramento & Cleveland got a raw deal the first time with their ownership groups and would likely be successful again under the right ownership. Tennessee is a women's bball hotbed that's untapped for the pro market. There's always Joe Lacob and his desire for a women's team again in the Bay Area. But you have to wonder what other markets would do well with a WNBA franchise? Louisville? Denver? Buffalo? Kansas City?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21636
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No mention of anyone willing to put up the cash in ownership, so this is essentially a non-story. Also the league continues to say they're not really interested in expansion at the moment, which is a step back even from a few years ago when they mostly avoided the question. These other cities only really come into consideration if ownership pulls out from an existing team.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure if an ownership group came forward with a ton of money, the league would grant them an expansion team regardless of location. As long as the group and venue meet league standards, it would happen.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59973
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'm sure if an ownership group came forward with a ton of money, the league would grant them an expansion team regardless of location. As long as the group and venue meet league standards, it would happen.


You mean the venue would have to as good as Westchester and the group would have to be as well funded as Hilton Koch? Twisted Evil



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I'm sure if an ownership group came forward with a ton of money, the league would grant them an expansion team regardless of location. As long as the group and venue meet league standards, it would happen.


You mean the venue would have to as good as Westchester and the group would have to be as well funded as Hilton Koch? Twisted Evil


Hopefully the league has learned from these two mistakes and have set the bar higher in terms of venues and ownership groups.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52995



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I'm sure if an ownership group came forward with a ton of money, the league would grant them an expansion team regardless of location. As long as the group and venue meet league standards, it would happen.


You mean the venue would have to as good as Westchester and the group would have to be as well funded as Hilton Koch? Twisted Evil


Adding to that, as long as they don’t having any pending court cases with charges any worse than burglary & aggravated assault, they should meet the league’s stringent standards.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59973
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wnba-bid-toronto-2019

Quote:
Following the Toronto Raptors’ historic NBA championship win, two local entrepreneurs have announced a bid to bring the WNBA franchise to Toronto.

While the official bid has been announced, they are expected to present to the WNBA for consideration before the end of the summer.


https://www.wnbatoronto.com/

https://www.thegistnews.ca/wnba-toronto-bid



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wnba-bid-toronto-2019

Quote:
Following the Toronto Raptors’ historic NBA championship win, two local entrepreneurs have announced a bid to bring the WNBA franchise to Toronto.

While the official bid has been announced, they are expected to present to the WNBA for consideration before the end of the summer.


https://www.wnbatoronto.com/

https://www.thegistnews.ca/wnba-toronto-bid


So, clearly depending on the upcoming CBA, we may have expansion teams in Toronto & San Francisco by 2021.I don't think it happens for 2020 though despite the website's message. Very exciting! Let's hope teams are stable and we don't end up with the Toronto Dream.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6760
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wnba-bid-toronto-2019

Quote:
Following the Toronto Raptors’ historic NBA championship win, two local entrepreneurs have announced a bid to bring the WNBA franchise to Toronto.

While the official bid has been announced, they are expected to present to the WNBA for consideration before the end of the summer.


https://www.wnbatoronto.com/

https://www.thegistnews.ca/wnba-toronto-bid


Great to see, but as always, show me the money.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wnba-bid-toronto-2019

Quote:
Following the Toronto Raptors’ historic NBA championship win, two local entrepreneurs have announced a bid to bring the WNBA franchise to Toronto.

While the official bid has been announced, they are expected to present to the WNBA for consideration before the end of the summer.


https://www.wnbatoronto.com/

https://www.thegistnews.ca/wnba-toronto-bid


Great to see, but as always, show me the money.


I'm curious about these two entrepreneurs. I want to know more!



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RI_Sun_Fan



Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 680



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Toronto could really get behind and support a team.

Toronto Ptarmigans sounds good


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10118



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I think Toronto could really get behind and support a team.

Toronto Ptarmigans sounds good


I think Toronto would do as well as any other market, but of course the franchise has to be well-run and have lots of resources. Good ownership is even more crucial in the WNBA than in other professional sports, especially the part about lots of (cash) resources.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6760
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://globalnews.ca/news/5426037/toronto-bid-wnba-team/

Quote:
“This isn’t just a business opportunity. This is an opportunity to inspire a new generation of women and girls in sport,” Escott said in a statement.

“Twenty years from now, we want to trace the success of Canada’s finest athletes to this moment.”

The bid committee said investors, board members, and a potential arena selection will be announced in the coming weeks.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5426037/toronto-bid-wnba-team/

Quote:
“This isn’t just a business opportunity. This is an opportunity to inspire a new generation of women and girls in sport,” Escott said in a statement.

“Twenty years from now, we want to trace the success of Canada’s finest athletes to this moment.”

The bid committee said investors, board members, and a potential arena selection will be announced in the coming weeks.


Doesn't seem like they'd play at Scotiabank Arena. Where else could they play? The G-League team plays at Paramount Fine Foods Center in Mississauga(5,400 capacity). Kitchener Memorial Auditorium houses an NBL team & holds 7,300 but is a tad old. Any other options?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justinabina



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 159



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5426037/toronto-bid-wnba-team/

Quote:
“This isn’t just a business opportunity. This is an opportunity to inspire a new generation of women and girls in sport,” Escott said in a statement.

“Twenty years from now, we want to trace the success of Canada’s finest athletes to this moment.”

The bid committee said investors, board members, and a potential arena selection will be announced in the coming weeks.


Doesn't seem like they'd play at Scotiabank Arena. Where else could they play? The G-League team plays at Paramount Fine Foods Center in Mississauga(5,400 capacity). Kitchener Memorial Auditorium houses an NBL team & holds 7,300 but is a tad old. Any other options?


Mattamy Athletic Centre (former Maple Leaf Gardens - now owned by Ryerson University) would be great - it was the venue for all the Pan Am Games basketball events. Right downtown on the subway line. Not sure if it would actually be available, though...

Kitchener is far from Toronto! Like a 1.5-2 hour drive. Mississauga is closer to the city, but still a 30 minute drive (in good traffic) and difficult to get to via public transit.

This talk about Kitchener/Mississauga is making me empathize with you Liberty fans, though. I was initially thinking that it's ridiculous anyone would even suggest places outside the city - and then I remembered this is the current reality of the Liberty... Sad


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20489



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2019/06/24/wnba-toronto-2020-planning-stages/

Quote:
In response to several questions about Toronto as a prospective WNBA market, WNBA COO Christy Hedgpeth said, “Toronto is a terrific market and we appreciate the interest in the WNBA. However, the league’s main focus right now is the overall health and competitiveness of our existing 12 teams.”



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin