RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn returns to the Big East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auntie

PostPosted: 06/22/19 6:45 pm    ::: UConn returns to the Big East Reply Reply with quote

Not yet finalized. What do people who do not hate the Huskies think?

http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/?fbclid=IwAR3YQ-x8Tn0wc5jZ9zsx1_b0KzD0bkn4t4ThngW_UEhm8ElCaFr_9GD-BFE

PostPosted: 06/22/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big win for MBB, more moderate win for WB. DePaul has been sort of the USF version of the Big East for WBB, being the only regular top 25 program in the conference during the New Age. But IMO top to bottom there will be more regularly 19 and 20-win members then there typically have been in the AAC. Now, will that translate into competition for Connecticut? - likely not, but it still is a step up.

But long gone are the days in Big East WCBB with names like Notre Dame, Syracuse, Lousiville, and Rutgers to go with UConn....

UConn's CFB program is going to have to scramble, but they have really been scrambling for some time now, even with a home in the AAC....

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/23/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN fan here, as you all know and all i have to say is.....

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for WBB, I don't see much difference. UConn should totally dominate regardless. I guess the overall conference RPI is probably higher and perhaps the middle of the conference is a bit better?

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
for WBB, I don't see much difference. UConn should totally dominate regardless. I guess the overall conference RPI is probably higher and perhaps the middle of the conference is a bit better?

I think the Big East stays a mid-major and it pretty much means nobody else has a shot of winning the BE any more Smile.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/24/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

You are right about the level of competition. The UCONN fans would love this conference because they would not have to travel across the country to see their favorite team play some road games.

PostPosted: 06/24/19 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say that it's a good move for UConn and will be good for Women's Basketball in general.

Having UConn in the AAC wasn't really a good thing for any involved (well, except for those who wanted to tease UConn about their crappy conference... Wink ).

The worse RPI of the Big East last year was Xavier at #101. That's better than all but 3 of the AAC teams (and that includes UConn!).

For those UConn fans who hoped that UConn could raise the status of AAC programs like they did in the old Big East (Yes, I will admit that UConn played a big role in making ND into the current program it is), it seems much more likely to happen with the Big East, particularly with DePaul, Marquette, and possibly Villanova. (BTW, you might recognize that new coach at Marquette... Wink )

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/25/19 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this make St J's semi-relevant again?

PostPosted: 06/25/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
I'd say that it's a good move for UConn and will be good for Women's Basketball in general.

Having UConn in the AAC wasn't really a good thing for any involved (well, except for those who wanted to tease UConn about their crappy conference... Wink ).

The worse RPI of the Big East last year was Xavier at #101. That's better than all but 3 of the AAC teams (and that includes UConn!).

For those UConn fans who hoped that UConn could raise the status of AAC programs like they did in the old Big East (Yes, I will admit that UConn played a big role in making ND into the current program it is), it seems much more likely to happen with the Big East, particularly with DePaul, Marquette, and possibly Villanova. (BTW, you might recognize that new coach at Marquette... Wink )

I think what this does for UCONN WBB will be far more important AFTER Geno retires.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/25/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn benefits statistically while the increased likelihood of UConn losing any one conference game is minimal.

The benefit for the women is mostly that their RPI will improve enough that as long as they win they will not have to worry about their RPI/SOS bumping them down the NCAA S curve. The AAC had 2 teams in the top 100 RPI (without UConn) while last year the NBE had 6. The NBE had 4 teams (out of 10) above 100 RPI while the AAC had 10 (out of 12)

Howee

PostPosted: 06/25/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
UConn benefits statistically while the increased likelihood of UConn losing any one conference game is minimal.

The benefit for the women is mostly that their RPI will improve enough that as long as they win they will not have to worry about their RPI/SOS bumping them down the NCAA S curve. The AAC had 2 teams in the top 100 RPI (without UConn) while last year the NBE had 6. The NBE had 4 teams (out of 10) above 100 RPI while the AAC had 10 (out of 12)

Why do those last 2 sentences seem contradictory?? Shocked

The first sentence indicates that for top 100 RPI: AAC = 2, BE = 6
Second sentence implies that for the top 100 RPI: AAC = 10, BE =4

PostPosted: 06/25/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

The benefit for the women is mostly that their RPI will improve enough that as long as they win they will not have to worry about their RPI/SOS bumping them down the NCAA S curve. The AAC had 2 teams in the top 100 RPI (without UConn) while last year the NBE had 6. The NBE had 4 teams (out of 10) [b]above 100 RPI while the AAC had 10 (out of 12)[/b]

I should have been clearer.

10 of the 12 AAC teams had an RPI worse than 100 while 4 of the 10 NBE teams were worse than 100. When I said "higher than 100 I was using the mathmatical "greater than", as in "101 is higher than 100".

What UConn gets is 6-8 more conference games vs top 50 teams.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/26/19 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

The benefit for the women is mostly that their RPI will improve enough that as long as they win they will not have to worry about their RPI/SOS bumping them down the NCAA S curve. The AAC had 2 teams in the top 100 RPI (without UConn) while last year the NBE had 6. The NBE had 4 teams (out of 10) [b]above 100 RPI while the AAC had 10 (out of 12)[/b]

10 of the 12 AAC teams had an RPI worse than 100 while 4 of the 10 NBE teams were worse than 100. When I said "higher than 100 I was using the mathmatical "greater than", as in "101 is higher than 100".

Uh oh. This could fuck up a lot of those anti-uconn "look at their measley number of Top 50 wins, how can they possibly be a #x seed" arguments in March.

PostPosted: 06/26/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

Uh oh. This could fuck up a lot of those anti-uconn "look at their measley number of Top 50 wins, how can they possibly be a #x seed" arguments in March.

One of my first thoughts reading the news. But never underestimate what "they" can come up with to nitpick.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/26/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

The only reason the AAC had that many teams in the top 100 RPI was......UConn.

PostPosted: 06/28/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/29/19 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hope the Women's BET doesn't become a Htfd fixture again.

PostPosted: 06/29/19 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I read an article that they're interested in Mohegan. In 2020 it's in Chicago, let's gooooo.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/29/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago, Phil, NY are all good sites. More arenas will now bid to host. I think Geno would love a BET in Phil.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/29/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I read an article that they're interested in Mohegan. In 2020 it's in Chicago, let's gooooo.

I wouldn't mind a trip to Chicago, and hopefully see my buddy Buddy Guy, but UConn's return to the BET will be in '21, no?

PostPosted: 06/29/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I wouldn't mind a trip to Chicago, and hopefully see my buddy Buddy Guy, but UConn's return to the BET will be in '21, no?

Buddy Guy's club is about three blocks from my building. Good times.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/29/19 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Buddy Guy's club is about three blocks from my building. Good times.

<jealous>

PostPosted: 06/29/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

The New York crowd seem apathetic to the news......

linkster

PostPosted: 06/30/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

The New York crowd seem apathetic to the news......

LOL That must be you throwing all that shade on the buildings. Very Happy

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/26/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonna cost them $17 million.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/07/26/uconn-will-pay-17m-to-leave-the-aac-for-big-east/39811215/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: