RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

BTW: guess whose camp is pushing the "Elizabeth is unelectable" mantra...

How do you know it is his camp that is the only group pushing it? There was a poll that showed all the front runners beating Trump, except Elizabeth Warren.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/21/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Democratic primary voters overwhelmingly prefer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal to Joe Biden's climate plan
https://amp.insider.com/democratic-primary-voters-prefer-green-new-deal-over-bidens-plan-2019-6

Quote:
Democratic voters might be more progressive on climate change than conventional wisdom would suggest.

Democratic primary voters much prefer the more ambitious plans to fight climate change proposed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee over former Vice President Joe Biden's relatively less aggressive proposal, according to new INSIDER polling.

A plurality - 42% - of Democratic voters said they prefer a plan that aims to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2030 by any means necessary. About 15% of likely Republican primary voters said the same. These preferences most closely resemble Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal resolution, which calls for "net-zero greenhouse gas emissions" through a decade-long "national mobilization" that would likely come at huge public expense.

Just 23% of Democrats said they preferred the plan by Inslee, who is running for president, to invest $3 trillion over 10 years to get a net-zero carbon emissions energy grid by 2030 and net-zero carbon emissions altogether by 2045. Inslee's proposal is the most far-reaching in the 2020 presidential field, and the most amenable option for Democratic primary voters preferring a more ambitious plan than that put forward by Biden.

A significantly smaller portion of Democrats - 14% - said they favored Biden's plan, which would invest $1.7 trillion over 10 years to get net-zero carbon emissions no later than 2050.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before the debates, the senior citizens are leading the race per Real Clear Politics polling

Biden (age 76) 31.9%
Sanders (age 77) 15%
Warren (age 70) 11.9%

But they would be running against 73-year-old Trump.

There are articles coming out talking about the overlap/competition between Warren and Sanders. Warren has moved up in the polls while Sanders has gone down.

Bernie Sanders faces a new kind of threat in Elizabeth Warren

Sanders unveils student debt plan amid rivalry with Warren

pilight

PostPosted: 06/25/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Sestak

https://www.joesestak.com/

Quote:
What Americans most want is someone who is accountable to them, above self, above party, above any special interest … a President who has the depth of global experience to restore America’s leadership in the world to protect our American Dream at home … and one who is trusted to restructure policies where too many see only the growth of iniquity not of the economy.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My impression of the first night of the first debate

WINNERS: Gabbard, Castro, Booker

LOSERS: Ryan, O'Rourke, Delaney

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I would replace Gabbard with Klobuchar, otherwise I agree.

Castro probably served himself the best overall, while Klobuchar had what I thought was a clever strategy going for the one-liners knowing how media works and the size of the field. Most people aren't going to watch the debate, but when the one-liners end up in headlines because they are catchy they have a lasting impact.

Warren did well for people who actually think of it as a true debate rather than a piece of performance art, since she actually had substance. However, these "debates" are performance art and she had an uphill battle with the draw (very little to gain on this card with people looking for breakouts rather than other front-runners), so she ended up about where she started, imo. Which isn't the worst thing in the world. There will be more debates and better opportunities for her later on. And her social media team was on point--which I think speaks more to her base of voters right now anyways.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/opinion/first-democratic-debate.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

PostPosted: 06/27/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

9 takeaways from the Democratic presidential debate's first night

Quote:
Warren dominated the debate's first half hour, moving herself closer to Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont on single-payer health care -- a move that could ease the concerns of progressives in the process. She faded the rest of the way, but went unscathed.

That Warren's policy focus dominated the first quarter of the debate, and largely went unchallenged, also signaled a clear leftward shift within the Democratic Party. But that dynamic was apparent throughout the night, especially when candidates were asked about health care, immigration, protecting abortions rights and gun control.

Quote:
In her response, Warren channeled Sanders' attacks on the insurance industry, casting it as a fundamentally corrupt enterprise, then targeting candidates who, for whatever reason, opposed or cast doubt on the plan.

"There are a lot of politicians who say, 'Oh, it's just not possible. We just can't do it. There's a lot of political problems,' " Warren said, before further sharpening her language: "What they're really telling you is they just won't fight for it. Well, health care is a basic human right and I will fight for basic human rights."

Quote:
O'Rourke got the third question of the night, about the economy -- and answered it in Spanish before delivering the English version.

It was an effort to show the former El Paso congressman's ability to reach Spanish-speaking voters as immigration takes center stage in the Democratic race -- as well as to reach the audience watching live on Telemundo.

Quote:
Castro took aim at his fellow Texan, O'Rourke, over immigration in what was by far the most direct and personal clash of the night.

Castro has called for decriminalizing crossing the border by repealing Section 1325 of the Immigration and Nationality Act -- a position O'Rourke opposes, saying he wants a "comprehensive rewrite" of immigration laws and backs plans to "ensure you don't criminalize those who are seeking asylum."

Castro jumped on these comments, telling O'Rourke that "if you did your homework on this issue" he would understand that what he is talking about is different from what Castro is proposing.

Castro brought up comments O'Rourke had made on CNN earlier this month, when he told CNN's Jake Tapper that he did not think the law should be repealed.

Quote:
Warren was the highest-polling candidate onstage Wednesday night, but her opponents showed little willingess to take her on directly.

Instead, several lower-tier contenders had clearly decided their best chance at a breakout moment would come by ignoring her and instead attacking O'Rourke -- the candidate positioned to her left.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/politics/democratic-debate-highlights-night-1/index.html

PostPosted: 06/27/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tough to quantify the 'quality' displayed last night. I mean, I thought Inslee had some salient points--at least, enough to make me sit up and take notice, when I hadn't even given him a real thought before last night. Gabbard definitely made an impression. And I liked a lot of what DiBlasio said, too.

One *funny* to me: when Castro started railing on about abortion rights for Trans women....(? Shocked ?)

PostPosted: 06/27/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/27/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabbard was the most searched candidate on Google after the debate, for whatever that's worth.

She's got no chance, of course. Her anti-interventionist stance is far more irksome to the corporate controlled media than Warren's vague corporations = bad rhetoric.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know who else other than the Drudge Report did an instant internet poll, but Tulsi Gabbard absolutely crushed the Drudge poll, with 46% of 138,000 voters deeming her the victor. Everyone else was between 3% and 10%, probably not a particularly significant statistical difference.

If Drudge polls are assumed to be dominated by right wingers/leaners, I see no reason for an argument that this result in favor of Gabbard was somehow riggged by partisan spambots -- as was frequently opined, without any proof, when Trump was dominating the Republican debate polls in 2015-16.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought is amusing, though not surprising, that bloviating pompous ass Chuck Todd, a "moderator", spoke more words during the debate than seven of the candidates.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't know who else other than the Drudge Report did an instant internet poll, but Tulsi Gabbard absolutely crushed the Drudge poll, with 46% of 138,000 voters deeming her the victor. Everyone else was between 3% and 10%, probably not a particularly significant statistical difference.

If Drudge polls are assumed to be dominated by right wingers/leaners, I see no reason for an argument that this result in favor of Gabbard was somehow riggged by partisan spambots -- as was frequently opined, without any proof, when Trump was dominating the Republican debate polls in 2015-16.

Tulsi is Trump's favorite Democrat. Not surprising that a Drudge report poll would have Gabbard as it's leader.

Gabbard's struggle with Dem's is going to come from her pro Assad and Anti-gay stance.

Interesting thing is Booker and Castro led the most searched candidate context until the very end. I still think one of the three (including Harris) will make a serious run at this. Booker is too charismatic, Castro too smart, and Harris being a perfect combo of both traits..one of them will catch on with Dems.

All the old white guys blended together. Sorry, but it's true.

Warren didn't hurt herself. She was the only front runner in this group, and it was going to be almost impossible for her to help herself given her status and who she was up against. So I'd say it was a win for her too.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Tulsi is Trump's favorite Democrat.

I've never heard that. Why do you say it? Honestly curious.

Trump, of course, has said many things, I suppose, but unlike those afflicted with trump derangement or trump worship syndromes, I've never followed his Twitter posts or cared about his past sex life. I'm only interested in the economic, administrative, immigration and foreign policies he's trying to implement. Does he like Gabbard because she agrees with him on some or all of those policies?
tfan

PostPosted: 06/27/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Tulsi Gabbard was on a list of people considered for a position in the Trump administration. Gabbard is famous for being an ex-military person who is against our military proclivities. Since uber-chicken-hawk John Bolton was initially rejected and then ultimately ended up in the administration, I think the fact that Gabbard is anti-chicken-hawk would remove her from consideration now. Whether she would have accepted a position if offered is another matter. And since she has subsequently criticized Trump for his Iran dealing and called him Saudi Arabia's bitch in a tweet, I think it is unlikely that Trump views her favorably at the present.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/27/19 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Castro wants to "decriminalize border crossings" which is either a euphemistic way of saying he wants "open borders" that the Democrats seem reluctant to say, or that he naively thinks that making it legal to cross the border would keep the number of economic migrants from Latin America similar to what we have. We are already seeing Africans flying to South America and ending up in Portland, Maine after coming up through Latin America.

I think "decriminalizing" border crossings will cause short term pain that could have the long term benefit in that the massive surge would ultimately lead to people rethinking our Infinite Immigration Policy and their parroting of the bromides about it. The other thing that would kill Infinite Immigration Policy is a Universal Basic Income being implemented.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/27/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Trump, of course, has said many things, I suppose, but unlike those afflicted with trump derangement or trump worship syndromes, I've never followed his Twitter posts or cared about his past sex life. I'm only interested in the economic, administrative, immigration and foreign policies he's trying to implement. Does he like Gabbard because she agrees with him on some or all of those policies?

She’s with him on Assad (and to a lesser extent Russia)

It would be foolish to think the Kremlin stopped at Republicans..

There is also this:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-trolls-reddit-4chan-tulsi-gabbard-debate-polls

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chuck todd is less a pompous ass than a flaccid penis corp media lapdog.

these kentucky derby-like overfilled pop performance "debate" shows don't do much for me.

The ticket i'd like is Warren-Booker for the slam-dunk win in spite of all the usual Republican cheating- gerry-mandered districts, russian and other illegal foreign assistance, voter suppression; and typical mainstream misogynist/racist media coverage.

There is enough talent in the Dem primary to make a solid administration (eg Harris as AG, Biden Sect of State, etc) AND win back the senate.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And btw, Gabbard is an asshole, imo.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris slaughtering the field at the moment. Nice showing by Pete so far though.

That Marianne person is cray. Not everything she says is crazy, but the way she says it..

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did they dump Todd and Maddow for debate 2?
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

They’re going to switch out at some point.

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
chuck todd is less a pompous ass than a flaccid penis corp media lapdog.

....less than, say Sean Hannity? Tucker Carlson? Laughing Laughing At least Chuck deals in Reality, as evidenced by his interview with Don The Con. Razz

PostPosted: 06/27/19 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

They’re going to switch out at some point.

So in debate 1, Todd out-talked seven of the candidates even though he only played half the game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 12 of 43

Jump to: