Board Junkies Forums

2019 Attendance Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Just a note, Hoopfeed.com will be tracking attendance numbers this year, so there's no need for me to update. I'll post their updated link every Monday.

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2019/05/27/wnba-attendance-figures-for-2019/

They have not updated the attendance since the opening weekend.

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/tag/wnba-attendance/

you have to go here for the updated numbers. This page is updated after every game.

https://acrossthetimeline.com/wnba/attendance.html

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/19 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The +/- compared to last season.

1. Phoenix: +4,140
2. Dallas: +1,783
3. Los Angeles: +1,692
4. Las Vegas: -309
5. Chicago: -311
6. Connecticut: -626
7. New York: -684
8. Seattle: -1,004
9. Atlanta: -1,469
10. Minnesota: -1,673
11. Indiana: -2,308
12. Washington: -2,766

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 06/13/19 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can we go back to lying again?

the numbers on some recent games have been abysmal....

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/13/19 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These numbers are depressing
Its hard to believe that Dallas is plus 1,783

toad455

PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the bottom feeders have had the bulk of the home games early on(New York, Indiana, Atlanta). Phoenix & Los Angeles have had only one home game. But things look bad for the league this season.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/14/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan,

Why is it so hard to believe, exactly?

toad455

PostPosted: 06/17/19 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

League is down 1,220 from last year now.

1. Phoenix: +2,285
2. Los Angeles: +1,220
3. Dallas: -192
4. Connecticut: -452
5. Las Vegas: -605
6. New York: -875
7. Chicago: -922
10. Minnesota: -1,595
11. Indiana: -2,265
12. Washington: -2,695

Minnesota, Indiana & Atlanta's numbers are the most shocking. Is not having Moore & Whalen in Minnesota this season really keeping some fans away? This is Indiana's 20 anniversary, and though the team isn't expected to do well, thos numbers are alarming. And Atlanta's numbers are just sad. I was also expecting better numbers from Vegas. Maybe after LeBron & Co. attended a game, they'll get a spike.

herna220

PostPosted: 06/17/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Minnesota, Indiana & Atlanta's numbers are the most shocking. Is not having Moore & Whalen in Minnesota this season really keeping some fans away? This is Indiana's 20 anniversary, and though the team isn't expected to do well, thos numbers are alarming. And Atlanta's numbers are just sad. I was also expecting better numbers from Vegas. Maybe after LeBron & Co. attended a game, they'll get a spike.

The Twins are doing well this year (and the weather has been cooperating) which may be drawing some casual fans away from the Lynx as their game times often overlap and the baseball field is literally next door to the Target Center.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/17/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is, sadly, pretty much proven that individual stars have a lot to do with attendance and ratings, and there are a lot of stars not playing so far this year.

And of course there's always the issue of the quality of play early in the season. Usually it takes a while for the teams to start clicking, and that's even harder when the stars aren't there. People have to do different things, and more things, than in the past, and adjustments take time.

Also, devoted and casual fans can tell the difference between top-shelf players and average players, and there are a lot of average (still good, but average) players getting lots of minutes.

PostPosted: 06/17/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

One thing that has helped Phoenix's attendance so far? Games on Friday night.

Season opener drew over 14,000 -- and on a night that the MLB's Diamondbacks had a game next door.

Friday's game drew over 10,000 -- this was the Pride Night game.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 06/17/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Minnesota, Indiana & Atlanta's numbers are the most shocking. Is not having Moore & Whalen in Minnesota this season really keeping some fans away?

I moved away from the Twin Cities, but yeah, Whalen is gone, Brunson is gone, Maya is out, and Seimone is hurt. It's almost a team of strangers. And the ticket prices went up and up when they were winning and I doubt they dropped them now, so that hurts. Add in that the Twins are winning and it was a long snowy Winter and people want to be out in the sun?

I'm shocked the Lynx are drawing as many as they are.

Also I think the league has hit a tough spot where many beloved stars are leaving or close to leaving and most younger stars haven't gotten the same excitement going. It just reminds me a bit of when Magic, Jordan, Bird and others were finishing up and fans didn't latch on to younger players like they did the older guys.

PostPosted: 06/17/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Also, devoted and casual fans can tell the difference between top-shelf players and average players, and there are a lot of average (still good, but average) players getting lots of minutes.

If people are as concerned with player abilities as you claim they are, why do they watch women's basketball?

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/18/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If people are as concerned with player abilities as you claim they are, why do they watch women's basketball?

I think it's the same reason they watch college football or college basketball -- a well-played game with quality athletes can be very entertaining. But mid-major or Division II games in those two sports don't draw as much attention because, in part, the athletic portion of the quality of the product isn't as pronounced.

Hey, a really good high school game can be a great game ... but the better the players, the more entertaining it's likely to be.

PostPosted: 06/18/19 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think with the added games to watch on T.V., attendance maybe down because of this too? Also, isn't viewership up in other ways, T.V., Twitter ect...?

tfan

PostPosted: 06/18/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think it's the same reason they watch college football or college basketball -- a well-played game with quality athletes can be very entertaining. But mid-major or Division II games in those two sports don't draw as much attention because, in part, the athletic portion of the quality of the product isn't as pronounced.

Hey, a really good high school game can be a great game ... but the better the players, the more entertaining it's likely to be.

When you have tiers of a sport, people are aware they aren't watching the top tier which factors into their interest. But that wouldn't apply to WNBA expansion or injuries.

College men's basketball at Division I, Division II, Division III and community college levels has players better than the WNBA. WNBA viewers dip far enough down the athleticism scale when watching WNBA basketball that I find it difficult to believe they are doing it with such a narrow athleticism window (which has to be thrown out when they watch college WBB). They can watch the best 96 players (12 teams, 8 players in rotation) , but if you throw another 8, 16, 24, 32 players in there they start to turn off the set. The ESPN TV ratings are actually lower in the 12 team era than during the 13, and 14 team WNBA era.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/18/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

When you have tiers of a sport, people are aware they aren't watching the top tier which factors into their interest. But that wouldn't apply to WNBA expansion or injuries.

College men's basketball at Division I, Division II, Division III and community college levels has players better than the WNBA. WNBA viewers dip far enough down the athleticism scale when watching WNBA basketball that I find it difficult to believe they are doing it with such a narrow athleticism window (which has to be thrown out when they watch college WBB). They can watch the best 96 players (12 teams, 8 players in rotation) , but if you throw another 8, 16, 24, 32 players in there they start to turn off the set. The ESPN TV ratings are actually lower in the 12 team era than during the 13, and 14 team WNBA era.

You could be right, but as I mentioned before, women's basketball fans are savvy enough to recognize the difference between Sue Bird and Blake Dietrich at point guard, and appreciate that difference. Watching Imani McGee-Stafford is a lot different than watching Brittney Griner, and so on down the line.

It's also true that winning WNBA teams draw better than losing teams, an indirect indication that quality of play matters to fans.

Let's drop down to high school basketball: The team I coach is a good one, uptempo, shoots threes, wins a lot. We have a small cadre of fans, mostly male, that come to most of our home games. When we play a mediocre girls' team on the road, there's no such group of fans for the team that isn't as skilled or athletic.

But there is some number of teams that is the best for the league, involving markets, quality of play, attendance and ability to grow the game. I think the discussion about expansion is about what the correct number is, and how all those factors interact.

PostPosted: 06/18/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's also true that winning WNBA teams draw better than losing teams, an indirect indication that quality of play matters to fans.

I think it is just that fans want to root for a winner. Leaving an arena after watching your team win most of the time is a better experience than leaving an arena after watching your team lose most of the time.

Last edited by tfan on 06/19/19 9:20 am; edited 13 times in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/18/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't call Minnesota's number's shocking. They are still pulling 8500 people during what was supposed to be a rebuild. If anything, I'm quite happy that they have remained as high as they have.

PostPosted: 06/19/19 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who cares about Whalen, Brunson, and Moore? The Lynx have Napheesa Collier!!! Go Napheesa! Go Lynx! Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3/4 of the teams are averaging under 7k while half are averaging under 6k. Hopefully, teams will start to see an uptick in attendance with schools out now.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/24/19 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With that acknowledged, there were, IIRC, fourteen games last week, and only one of them was decided by five points or less. Down from 5 out of 14 the week before that, which was, in turn, up for 3 our of 14 the week before that... Not exactly the best way to draw interest to the league.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/24/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
With that acknowledged, there were, IIRC, fourteen games last week, and only one of them was decided by five points or less. Down from 5 out of 14 the week before that, which was, in turn, up for 3 our of 14 the week before that... Not exactly the best way to draw interest to the league.

And with so many stars not playing, that particular draw is missing too.

PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

3/4 of the teams are averaging under 7k while half are averaging under 6k. Hopefully, teams will start to see an uptick in attendance with schools out now.

St. Elizabeths East Entertainment and Sports Arena has a capacity of 4,200. Washington is averaging 3441.25 per game, so the venue is almost 82 percent filled.

Now, one could argue that a venue that small with a team that is doing very well this year should be at capacity.

On the other hand, good to see Phoenix at 11,534 per game. I was at the first two games. The first one had an announced crowd of 14,000+, which was definitely accurate (the entire lower bowl was filled and parts of the upper bowl were opened). The Pride Night game had well over 10,000 as well.

What made yesterday's attendance more impressive was that there was a Diamondbacks game right next door (which started two hours earlier). In fact, for two of the three Mercury home games, there have been Diamondbacks games going on at the same time.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming a new CBA gets done and the Liberty move to Brooklyn full-time, the league will see a boost next season. Having Moore, McCoughtry & Stewart back will give the league a boost. Ionescu's star will give the league a boost. If this is the low point for the league, we can deal with it for a season. Potential expansion teams in Toronto & San Francisco will also give a [big] boost for the league in 2020 or 2021.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 3 coming into the league in 2013 may have impacted attendance, but it didn’t take the league back to their announced attendance golden years. 2012 (an Olympic year) had announced attendance of 7457. 2013 had announced attendance of 7531.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: