RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cloud calls out DC Mayor on gun violence.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 06/14/19 9:05 am    ::: Cloud calls out DC Mayor on gun violence. Reply Reply with quote

https://thinkprogress.org/natasha-cloud-wnba-muriel-bowser-gun-violence-a0ba8a798a07/

Quote:
While awaiting the kids, Cloud chatted up the school’s staff. It was then that she heard about what had happened prior to her arrival — the students had missed their Field Day earlier in the school day. It had been canceled because a bullet had been shot through a window at the school on Wednesday afternoon, leaving administrators fearful of allowing the kids to play outside.

The school’s librarian went on to tell Cloud that this had been the third bullet to hit the school in a month. Cloud was appalled that she’d never heard about these incidents, despite the close ties she’d formed with the educators at Hendley.

The message from the school was clear: “We need help.”

greg5222

PostPosted: 06/14/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I respect what NC is doing. Keep up the good work. Did you invite Natasha to your violence strategy meeting Councilmen White? if not shame on you for
attacking Ms Cloud. You also made an assumption that she won't be committed
and will move on to another topic. Shame on you. Invite her to talk to you. YOU start the conversation. Don't attack get help form those willing. You too Mayor Bowser!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
I respect what NC is doing. Keep up the good work. Did you invite Natasha to your violence strategy meeting Councilmen White? if not shame on you for
attacking Ms Cloud. You also made an assumption that she won't be committed
and will move on to another topic. Shame on you. Invite her to talk to you. YOU start the conversation. Don't attack get help form those willing. You too Mayor Bowser!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

I very seriously doubt that he did invite the Mystics to any meetings he had in the community. This WNBA organization is right in his backyard and Im sure if he would have made a phone call they would have been glad to contribute to the community as it would have been an win win for both the Mystics and his district. I comment Natasha as well for speaking up and being a voice for those kids.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did she happen to mention Riquna Williams threatening to use all 18 bullets if she got hassled after beating up her ex?

Why haven't any WNBA players said anything about this?

PostPosted: 06/14/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Why should they?

PostPosted: 06/14/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Why should they?

It would seem to me that women who have a public forum might want to speak about an issue that's important to women, especially since one of their organization's employees is involved.

But maybe preserving the image of the WNBA is more important than speaking out against violence against women.

PostPosted: 06/14/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Why should they?

It would seem to me that women who have a public forum might want to speak about an issue that's important to women, especially since one of their organization's employees is involved.

But maybe preserving the image of the WNBA is more important than speaking out against violence against women.

Players rarely speak out against each other in any league. I think it is a little unfair to expect them too.

The league office or the teams on the other hand ...

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/14/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Your statement comes across as pretentious to me.

Cloud isn't responsible for the actions of ANY of her colleagues. Cloud shouldn't be discouraged from serving the community in DC because of a nuisance who has the same employer. Let the Sparks handle that issue since they've decided to pay her.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember when the NBA changed the name of the Washington team from the Bullets. Talk means very little if people will not acknowledge or commit to changing the very thing causing the problems. The issue of gun violence is reflective of a long time social issue. The problem will continue to exist and in fact, get worse if the real cause is ignored. All that has happened over the years is people in the position to do something attempting to fix the issue via focusing on effects rather than causes because actually doing something would involve renouncing their own political and social agendas.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Did she happen to mention Riquna Williams threatening to use all 18 bullets if she got hassled after beating up her ex?

A) So she SHOULDN’T speak out about bullets flying through windows of a school with little kids because Riquna Williams is playing in the WNBA???

B) The justice system hasn’t played itself out yet regarding the Williams situation.

Name a sport where players speak out about personal issues involving their own. I can’t think of any. And if anyone is going to speak out here, that’s fine. But they should do so after the justice system plays out anyway. Until then, let the league handle it.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/15/19 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/15/19 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On another note this is a reason why I really love the WNBA. Yes, players from all sports are active in their communities but it’s not unusual to see WNBA players adding on an extra layer of social awareness. Plus there’s an added element of on-court sacrifice needed to win in women’s basketball. I’ve liked NC for quite some time and was overjoyed when the Libs extended an offer sheet that DC eventually matched. Hopefully politicians responsible for maintaining Ward 8 capitalize on her desire to contribute.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Why should they?

Clay,
I understand as a fan you are upset about the RW situation but this is completely different. I also think that it’s not her place to speak on another players personal or legal situation. This is about the lives of children!!! Not about adults. Anytime it’s children involved, they need advocates because they can’t advocate for themselves. As I stated earlier, she should be applauded for using her platform to speak up for those kids.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/15/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Cloud isn't responsible for the actions of ANY of her colleagues. Cloud shouldn't be discouraged from serving the community in DC because of a nuisance who has the same employer. Let the Sparks handle that issue since they've decided to pay her.

She's also not responsible for any of the gun violence she's calling out

PostPosted: 06/15/19 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The violence in our society is at its roots a spiritual problem. No politician or political system can fix it.

PostPosted: 06/16/19 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

She's also not responsible for any of the gun violence she's calling out

PostPosted: 06/19/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/19/wnba-player-natasha-cloud-speaks-out-gun-violence-after-finding-her-voice/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bb3c3e92885e

Quote:
Cloud’s public action came together over little more than 24 hours. But it was the culmination of a long journey, the result of maturation, her increased status with the Mystics since the start of last season and, most importantly, a level of comfort in her own skin that took years to achieve.

“This is my fifth year in the league, and it took me five years to be like, I know something’s wrong, but how do I use my voice? What is my voice? Who am I to speak on the situation?” Cloud said. “You know, I didn’t grow up that way. I grew up in a privileged, white family. How do I correlate that?”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: