RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA and TV: Mixed messages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/12/19 11:09 am    ::: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

As Rock Hard pointed out, the CBS deal brings money to the league, which presumably could be spent to pay the players more, upgrade STH services or add competent administrative help.

But that money has to come from somewhere, and in this case, it comes from cable subscribers.

So, if you support the WNBA, you can do so directly by upgrading your cable subscription and watching the games on CBS sports. First, it supports a corporation that is paying the WNBA a fee, and second, it increases ratings so that it's more likely the next contract is bigger.

League Pass is $16 a year or something, which is about five cups of Starbuck's coffee, so I don't get the whining about not being able to see games there. If you could see 16 games all season, it would be $1 a game, which is hardly exorbitant.

It's like people living in gentrifying areas. Before gentrification begins, services are terrible and the area is rundown, but rents are cheap. People then want conditions to improve, and surprise, when they do, rents go up.

You can't have it both ways ...

PostPosted: 06/12/19 12:59 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
As Rock Hard pointed out, the CBS deal brings money to the league, which presumably could be spent to pay the players more, upgrade STH services or add competent administrative help.

But that money has to come from somewhere, and in this case, it comes from cable subscribers.

So, if you support the WNBA, you can do so directly by upgrading your cable subscription and watching the games on CBS sports. First, it supports a corporation that is paying the WNBA a fee, and second, it increases ratings so that it's more likely the next contract is bigger.

League Pass is $16 a year or something, which is about five cups of Starbuck's coffee, so I don't get the whining about not being able to see games there. If you could see 16 games all season, it would be $1 a game, which is hardly exorbitant.

It's like people living in gentrifying areas. Before gentrification begins, services are terrible and the area is rundown, but rents are cheap. People then want conditions to improve, and surprise, when they do, rents go up.

I agree and don't mind paying, but I can't find anything that is reasonably priced that includes both CBS and ESPN. Access to games on those channels is the only reason I ever get any cable TV subscription at all. And it's not quite like rent going up in an area with improved services when we're talking about improving conditions for players - not for the people paying the rent.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/12/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, people realize that if the WNBA were to become as successful as we want it to, the league pass would cost $200 a season, right?

PostPosted: 06/12/19 3:24 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I agree and don't mind paying, but I can't find anything that is reasonably priced that includes both CBS and ESPN. Access to games on those channels is the only reason I ever get any cable TV subscription at all. And it's not quite like rent going up in an area with improved services when we're talking about improving conditions for players - not for the people paying the rent.

I don't know if this counts as your idea of reasonable but YouTube TV is $50 a month and includes all ESPN networks, CBS Sports, NBATV, SEC Network, Big Ten Network, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, etc. If you're a sports person, this is your set up.

Now of course, you have to have an Apple TV or a Roku to get it, but still.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 4:34 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I don't know if this counts as your idea of reasonable but YouTube TV is $50 a month and includes all ESPN networks, CBS Sports, NBATV, SEC Network, Big Ten Network, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, etc. If you're a sports person, this is your set up.

Thanks for the info. There you have it folks. This broadcast venue allows a WNBA fan to watch ALL the broadcast tv games. There are no excuses.

PostPosted: 06/12/19 4:42 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Thanks for the info. There you have it folks. This broadcast venue allows a WNBA fan to watch ALL the broadcast tv games. There are no excuses.

X _____________________________________

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 06/12/19 5:31 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

That's more than I'm willing to pay, but I get that many would see it as reasonable. In previous years I've gotten SlingTV for the summer for ESPN. Maybe $50 plus the device cost would seem worth it if I were more interested in the league as a whole. All I would watch would be the 17 away games.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/12/19 6:12 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Or most importantly, lower the losses of the owners.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/12/19 6:19 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

The only caveat is that you may still get blacked out if the game is being shown on local TV even when it's not in your market. I live in NC and so far have been blacked out of all of the Dream's home games and have a friend in Philly who is blacked out of all Liberty home games. Needless to say, NC and GA nor PA and NY have the same local channels. It's ridiculous and I never got an explanation that makes a bit of sense, so we are SOL on those games.

I love that the league is getting these national broadcast deals but these are blackout issues that we didn't have in previous seasons. Perhaps it has to do with more teams getting games on local stations? I even tried using the WSBNow app for the local Atlanta station and everything was fine for a bit. I was able to watch the station ...until the game came on and they indicated that I was out of the viewing area. Btw, I have YouTubeTV. I just switched from DirectTVNOW and tried a few others before settling on YT.

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 06/12/19 7:21 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

The only caveat is that you may still get blacked out if the game is being shown on local TV even when it's not in your market. I live in NC and so far have been blacked out of all of the Dream's home games and have a friend in Philly who is blacked out of all Liberty home games. Needless to say, NC and GA nor PA and NY have the same local channels. It's ridiculous and I never got an explanation that makes a bit of sense, so we are SOL on those games.

I love that the league is getting these national broadcast deals but these are blackout issues that we didn't have in previous seasons. Perhaps it has to do with more teams getting games on local stations? I even tried using the WSBNow app for the local Atlanta station and everything was fine for a bit. I was able to watch the station ...until the game came on and they indicated that I was out of the viewing area. Btw, I have YouTubeTV. I just switched from DirectTVNOW and tried a few others before settling on YT.

Even though I've been paying for SlingTV for ESPN access, I actually have been watching the games on LeaguePass with a VPN.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/12/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one knows what the price tag is for what CBS payed. Considering the limited access of CBS Sports Network, it probably isn't much, but it is a positive. If only the network was more available.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/12/19 8:33 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Even though I've been paying for SlingTV for ESPN access, I actually have been watching the games on LeaguePass with a VPN.

Yeah, I need to explore using a VPN. I hadn't looked at it much. Thanks for the reminder!

tfan

PostPosted: 06/12/19 9:32 pm    ::: Re: WNBA and TV: Mixed messages Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:

You can watch YouTube TV on your phone, tablet or PC as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: