RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington's arena: Wave of the future?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/06/19 10:02 am    ::: Washington's arena: Wave of the future? Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone been to a game there?

It looked good on TV, really, and even though there were only 2,000, the atmosphere seemed so much better than putting those 2,000 in a big arena.

We heard a lot about the bad neighborhood and how it would impact attendance, so hopefully we'll hear from someone who goes there about what it's like getting to the arena.

Now, 4,000 is probably too small, but 20,000 is usually way too big -- except for special occasions, and special teams. If the Mystics have a great year, it will be interesting to see how they deal with postseason, when there would be demand for more seats than they have available.

PostPosted: 06/06/19 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been said before 7-10k is perfect 5-7 is ok

It also depends on the arena itself...this arena was built for basketball...has arena amenities looks good.

Uic when the sky tried it had too much unusable space

Westchester doesn't have the proper facilities to accommodate a W team and 2300 way too small

4k too small I agree but since seeing it for a go go game I softened its a first rate facility

I'm for smaller arena...but 4k a bit too small but clays point not to be sneezed at either

PostPosted: 06/06/19 10:55 am    ::: Awesome Arena! Reply Reply with quote

I was at the opening game and it was really nice. As everyone else has said the facility is top notch. The Mystics have a solid fanbase that this arena can seat perfectly.

It didn't appear super small at all and gave us a definite home court advantage. There are literally no bad seats.

As we get closer to playoffs (should we get there) and I think Capital One could be an option if need be. But for now this works great.

And as far as the area around the facility, it's up and coming.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/06/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's something I've always wondered about: does playing in smaller arenas significantally cut operating costs for a team? I'd imagine it would! It would be interesting to see the numbers.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/06/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Here's something I've always wondered about: does playing in smaller arenas significantally cut operating costs for a team? I'd imagine it would! It would be interesting to see the numbers.

What definitely cuts operating costs:

-- Having the team and the arena owned by the same person/group (e.g., Las Vegas, Connecticut). Lower operating costs (do not have to pay rent, already have the employees hired, concessions and parking are already in place, etc.).

toad455

PostPosted: 06/06/19 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why I think having the Dream moving to the Hawks' new G-League arena would help reduce costs for them.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 06/06/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
This is why I think having the Dream moving to the Hawks' new G-League arena would help reduce costs for them.

The Hawks don't own the Dream

PostPosted: 06/06/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I know. But the rent at College Park has to be much cheaper than what it is at State Farm Arena.

goofy2

PostPosted: 06/07/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been to the Mystics arena, although it was for an NBA Wizards practice, not a Mystics game. The arena is fine enough, but nothing that spectacular. The area around the arena is not that great. The area has not yet been developed. It might become, but nothing really has been done there other than the arena. I walked from the subway to the arena. It is a further walk than I thought it was going to be, maybe 3 long blocks (?). You walk thru mostly residential areas. I don't know how comfortable I would be walking back at night after a game. There is some parking next to the arena, but I don't know the cost, etc,...

They should have built the arena near the baseball stadium or at worst, near the soccer stadium.

We shall see...

greg5222

PostPosted: 06/08/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going to see Mystics - Wings. Very familiar with the area. I will post my POV.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 06/09/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESA is a very nice venue. Not a bad seat in the place. Was on the 200 level. Sat behind the basket about 10 rows up. Finally sat 1st row behind court side seats and took pictures of John Wall and Doug Williams sitting on court side seats. Food wasn't that great. Game atmosphere GREAT! Mystics won!!!!! As I stated before the arena was built, the police were on the corners and on foot along with arena security makes it a safe environment. Parking much more reasonable than downtown. Overall, A grade.

PostPosted: 06/09/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
ESA is a very nice venue. Not a bad seat in the place. Was on the 200 level. Sat behind the basket about 10 rows up. Finally sat 1st row behind court side seats and took pictures of John Wall and Doug Williams sitting on court side seats. Food wasn't that great. Game atmosphere GREAT! Mystics won!!!!! As I stated before the arena was built, the police were on the corners and on foot along with arena security makes it a safe environment. Parking much more reasonable than downtown. Overall, A grade.

I was there too this afternoon, and Gregg5222 is right! Great atmosphere. Lots of very decent seats at reasonable prices. Doesn’t take a huge crowd to get a small venue like this rocking! Every time DC makes a FT, you can hear everyone yell “Whoosh!” I traveled by Metro to game and back, and it was easier than I expected. The walk between the Congress Heights station and the arena was short and well marked. Cross the Metro parking lot, then a super short walk on a sidewalk over to one of the arena parking lots. Cross that lot and Bob’s your uncle!

Mystics have so much depth and balance, they are fun to watch. You never know who’s going to get on a roll. Hawkins and Powers came off the bench and put the game out of reach. Speaking of Powers, it’s pretty obvious who got the better end of that Hill for Powers trade.

All in all, the game experience was enjoyable enough that that I’ll probably see about catching the game vs Seattle later this week.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/09/19 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

are the camp games still at Capital One Arena? I wonder if the Mystics reach the finals if they'll have their games at Capital One instead?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 06/10/19 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
are the camp games still at Capital One Arena? I wonder if the Mystics reach the finals if they'll have their games at Capital One instead?

July 10th Camp Day game is at Capital One. No room for the kiddies at ESA.

I hope playoff games are not moved, if Mystics make it that far. IMO better to have the new arena sold out, SRO, for maximum home court advantage.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/10/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I know. But the rent at College Park has to be much cheaper than what it is at State Farm Arena.

Probably reduces costs and would further reduce attendance.

Same thing would happen in reverse if they move to gwinnett (not that this is an option).

The Dream would need to build a Fanbase that can get to that arena on a week night - cuts out the northern suburbs and even the city depending on one's commute tolerance.

Will work for g league.

Would work for dream if more g league fans translate to wnba fans.

Not sure how much cross over there is or will be.

PostPosted: 06/10/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the Dream's attendance can get reduced any further.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/10/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing the smaller arenas do is take away the large announced crowds they have for those camp day games. You will see numbers like 19,000 that are probably as exaggerated as the normal game attendance, but really help the end-of-year announced average attendance. That is, unless they play the camp day games in a separate big arena like I believe the Liberty does.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/10/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
One thing the smaller arenas do is take away the large announced crowds they have for those camp day games. You will see numbers like 19,000 that are probably as exaggerated as the normal game attendance, but really help the end-of-year announced average attendance. That is, unless they play the camp day games in a separate big arena like I believe the Liberty does.

Actually this year's kids day was in an expanded WCC (4k bleachers on both sides)

There was only the one school day...instead they will be doing the Sunday test market game at barclays which is on a Sunday...ill pander one more time

Be there...with extras...or don't kevech about where we play in 2020

PostPosted: 06/10/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Actually this year's kids day was in an expanded WCC (4k bleachers on both sides)

There was only the one school day...instead they will be doing the Sunday test market game at barclays which is on a Sunday...ill pander one more time

Be there...with extras...or don't kevech about where we play in 2020

I am 100% there on August 11!!

TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/10/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I don't think the Dream's attendance can get reduced any further.

I know a number of sth that cant/won't make that trek.

We haven't recovered from going to tech and that was minor distance compared to the g-league arena.

The slow start doesn't help. A lot of things competing for people's attention and dollars.

That said we've seen families with youngish kid attend for the first time each game and have a blast despite.

Have to tap into the right audience and consistently win them away from non sports stuff plus Atlanta United and the Braves.

I don't have an answer just making observations.

PostPosted: 06/11/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not thrilled by ESA, but never loved the bigger arena, either. The crowds are good, and the team is winning at home, so life is good. Typical for the Mystics organization, there were no emails to STH giving them any info about the facility before the home opener.
Concessions offer a few new places that are offering food that look several notches above Sodexo quality. STH have no concession credit added to their tickets, and there isn't a happy hour before the games. There are no independent restaurants within walking distance of the gym, so there's no place to join fans and occasionally players after the game.
Because of a priority seating area on the balcony opposite the team benches ($50 "Above the Rim" seats in lieu of the sky boxes at the old arena), you aren't allowed to make a complete circuit in the lobby. That pushes almost everyone into one crowded stretch of lobby on the other side. The merchandise area is set up in the balcony corner by the restricted area, so there is no foot traffic past it.
Parking is around $22 right next to the gym, and $10 three blocks away. Thankfully, the electronic parking meters on the street haven't been switched on yet, so there's some free street parking if you get there early. There's supposed to be free circulating shuttles (10 passenger vans) from the gym to the farther lot, but I haven't seen one yet. There is a significant police and neighborhood ambassador presence all around. We appreciate that there are no ticket scalpers or panhandlers outside.
Security screening seems very vigilant (they noted but allowed me to bring in the two life savers in the bottom of my bag. They thankfully don't seem to be enforcing the restriction against umbrellas that is posted on the ESA website.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: