J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/07/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
So for whatever weeks all four of them are gone that appears to leave us with

Nurse and Allen at SF
Charles, Gray, Han, and Raincock-Ekunwe at the post positions
Boyd, Durr, and Bias in the backcourt

Nine players. So we'll see some stopgap signings soon?

you know even though i wasn't such a big fan of Laimbeer as a coach, the man gets it as a GM. he is always monitoring and in guage of what's going on in the W, even as a fan you can tell checks to see what the fanbase is saying. as an aggressive GM i will always respect that from Bill Laimbeer aka LFO lol

I actually liked Bill as a coach we always over achieved when he was in charge, and our futility in the post season I believe can be chalked up to some bad luck with injury timing and a one and done system in the 2nd round where one team is coming into the game off a win while the other hasn't played for a week (OK sounds like I am making excuses but I don't like the system, a top 4 team should get more than a game to determine their playoff outcome.)

With that said I would love if we actual went outside the box and gave a spot to Nared or A. Howard, SF is still a big hole for us.

I am assuming a post spot will go to AWT

with the player who are out I wouldn't mind experimenting with this as a line up at least a bit

Nurse
Durr
Allen or someone new
Charles
Han Xu

I think between Nurse and Durr we can fake the PG spot and get a SF on the floor at the same time.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
wow this is a name of a poster from the past ...
Yes take her ...she might like the train ride more than the game,
close to the railing upper Deck is fine

I used to take my daughter to games years ago at MSG... she
was married in April...how the years pass so fast.

Lets hope you will be taking her to Barclays Center to watch the Liberty next year...

BTW I think I met you at Cafe 31 years ago at a viewing party
playoff game against The Shock

Blast from the past. Yes, we did meet years ago at Cafe31 (I want to say you used to wear a Brooklyn Dodgers cap?). Those were the good ol' days! Hope all is well -- nice to see some familiar names are still here. I lurk every so often to see what I'm missing and try to catch up with all that's been going on. My wife has never been much of a bball fan, so we stopped going to games once the kid was born and life got in the way. Now that the kid is older, I'd love to indoctrinate her so I have a buddy to go to games with again.

Thanks for the info about WCC. We'd probably drive up, rather than take the train. I assume they have a parking lot, right?

Yes they have parking but dont know the cost...I take the Train from
Grand Central ...and Yes I still wear the Brooklyn Dodger cap ...so If you
see a gray hair man proudly wearing a Brooklyn Dodger cap , please
say hello, I will be there Sunday and would love to meet your wife and
daughter

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether you agreed with Laimbeer or not, fans could always feel confident that Bill as GM had a plan. You never worried that he was asleep at the wheel like current management.

New York has 10 players right now. Bob forgot about Wright. I could see them bringing in AWT for Zahui, but there's probably no need to replace Hartley. You have Boyd, Bias, Nurse, and in theory Wright to play PG. However, it might be an opportunity to audition a wing player.

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Whether you agreed with Laimbeer or not, fans could always feel confident that Bill as GM had a plan. You never worried that he was asleep at the wheel like current management.

New York has 10 players right now. Bob forgot about Wright. I could see them bringing in AWT for Zahui, but there's probably no need to replace Hartley. You have Boyd, Bias, Nurse, and in theory Wright to play PG. However, it might be an opportunity to audition a wing player.

Thanks for correcting my error. Sorry about that.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It's OK, maybe you were subconsciously in denial. Smile

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It's OK, maybe you were subconsciously in denial. Smile

That's a kind interpretation! Seems more like the product of a fading mind. How did I forget Tanisha Wright? Only a day or two ago I posted about her dramatic role talking emphatically to the Liberty players in the huddle, two minutes left in a close game, with Katie Smith and the rest of the staff sitting on the bench.

I don't know if Wright has anything left as a player. But I have wonderful memories of her previous years with the Liberty. If she's interested, I hope she'll get a chance to coach here or somewhere. She seems inspiring.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/07/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm OK with Wright staying on as a coach. I said the same thing about Swin Cash 2 or 3 years ago. Some people believe that you need a coach-like player on the floor. It sounds useful, but when the person who barks orders at her younger teammates ends up committing a lot of turnovers or taking bad shots, then the vocal leadership seems rather empty.

PostPosted: 06/07/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Lets hope you will be taking her to Barclays Center to watch the Liberty next year...

Blast from the past. Yes, we did meet years ago at Cafe31 (I want to say you used to wear a Brooklyn Dodgers cap?). Those were the good ol' days! Hope all is well -- nice to see some familiar names are still here. I lurk every so often to see what I'm missing and try to catch up with all that's been going on. My wife has never been much of a bball fan, so we stopped going to games once the kid was born and life got in the way. Now that the kid is older, I'd love to indoctrinate her so I have a buddy to go to games with again.

Thanks for the info about WCC. We'd probably drive up, rather than take the train. I assume they have a parking lot, right?

daughter

Parking is $15 and cash only

toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/19 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertycrazy97 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

daughter

Parking is $15 and cash only

I'm thinking of making the trip up there for the July 20 game. If I do, I'll let people know. Hopefully we have a few wins by then.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
So for whatever weeks all four of them are gone that appears to leave us with

Nurse and Allen at SF
Charles, Gray, Han, and Raincock-Ekunwe at the post positions
Boyd, Durr, and Bias in the backcourt

Nine players. So we'll see some stopgap signings soon?

you know even though i wasn't such a big fan of Laimbeer as a coach, the man gets it as a GM. he is always monitoring and in guage of what's going on in the W, even as a fan you can tell checks to see what the fanbase is saying. as an aggressive GM i will always respect that from Bill Laimbeer aka LFO lol

I actually liked Bill as a coach we always over achieved when he was in charge, and our futility in the post season I believe can be chalked up to some bad luck with injury timing and a one and done system in the 2nd round where one team is coming into the game off a win while the other hasn't played for a week (OK sounds like I am making excuses but I don't like the system, a top 4 team should get more than a game to determine their playoff outcome.)

With that said I would love if we actual went outside the box and gave a spot to Nared or A. Howard, SF is still a big hole for us.

I am assuming a post spot will go to AWT

with the player who are out I wouldn't mind experimenting with this as a line up at least a bit

Nurse
Durr
Allen or someone new
Charles
Han Xu

I think between Nurse and Durr we can fake the PG spot and get a SF on the floor at the same time.

I have to wonder why Raincock isn't playing. She didn't even get in in garbage time last night. I sure hope Smith plays Han on Sunday to try her against Cambage. Neither Gray or Charles can guard her. I'd imagine someone gets brought in to fill the bench with Hartley & Zahui B gone. Warley-Talbert seems the obvious choice. But I wouldn't mind seeing Anriel Howard get picked up or if Ashley Walker is available by then.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/08/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder not only about Raincock-Ekunwe but about all four of the players who are out of the rotation. Why not give each of them a real look in games that count? It's not like our eight-player rotation is doing so wonderfully.

And if training camp convinced Katie Smith that Wright has nothing left, that neither Raincock-Ekunwe nor Bias are worth any playing time, that Han needs to sit for at least half the season, then why didn't the Liberty bring in a player or two who'd been cut elsewhere?

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/08/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is what I mean about having a plan. Smith keeps saying after games that she didn't use Han because the match-ups weren't favorable. OK, fair enough. But what constitutes a favorable match-up? If she's afraid that Han is going to get pushed around, then are you ever going to find a smaller center combination than last night's group of Sanders, Hawkins, and Hines-Allen? Sanders is a skinny 6-3 170 lbs. Hawkins is middling at 6-3 186 lbs. Hines-Allen is a strong 6-1 200 lbs, but she's short. What kind of match-up is Katie waiting for -- another team with a 6-9 193 lb rookie center? If that's the case, you might as well ship Han back to China and let her play in the military tournaments or whatever else is going on over there.

We'll see what happens after Zahui leaves. If they bring in Warley-Talbert, and Smith uses the replacement player more than their supposed center of the future, then we know she's thinking short-term and there probably is no plan. In which case, they might as well ask Han if she'd be willing to be suspended and then send her back to China. Afterward, get ready for that great Reshanda Gray media blitz and marketing campaign! Razz

PostPosted: 06/08/19 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your comment about thinking short-term touches on a problem I tried to raise a while back. Katie Smith HAS to think short term. The Liberty have lost the last 17 games she's coached. I view her job security as zero. But in my view this is a lottery team and the focus should be long-term, especially with a 19-year-old center with potential.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/08/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
Thinking of taking the kid (now 6) to the game on Sunday, but don't want to spend a small fortune since she has the attention span of a gnat and there's likely not enough to keep her engaged (like there is at MSG).

Barrister15 wrote:
Now that the kid is older, I'd love to indoctrinate her so I have a buddy to go to games with again.

Lots of kids -- me included -- fell in love with basketball by seeing it played in matchbox-sized grade school, CYO and JCC gyms and pot-holed outdoor courts with chain-link fences. The WCC is a big step up from those. Taking my six year old kids and grandkid to basketball games surely helped develop their love for the sport, and made for (usually) fun outings.

The view from the upper deck is generally fine, and isn't very far "up". I drive to the WCC and, yes, there is parking across the street.
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/08/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Your comment about thinking short-term touches on a problem I tried to raise a while back. Katie Smith HAS to think short term. The Liberty have lost the last 17 games she's coached. I view her job security as zero. But in my view this is a lottery team and the focus should be long-term, especially with a 19-year-old center with potential.

I agree, but even on a short-term basis I'm not convinced that Han couldn't help. When you get down to it, we've only seen her receive significant minutes twice -- in the 1st preseason game against China and the 4th Quarter of game 3 against Indiana. I watched the game against China three times and the 4th Quarter against Indiana twice. Han played well offensively in both cases, and she didn't look terrible on defense in my opinion. Against Indiana, Han gave up a step-back, fadeaway jumper to Mavunga. Then, she got beat one-on-one by Kea on a one-handed scoop bank-shot from the baseline. Neither was what you'd call an easy shot. I'm not saying that Han is any kind of defensive stalwart, but can we wait until she actually looks bad before we bench her for being bad? And forget all the stuff about Jonquel Jones schooling Han in that first CT preseason game. I checked the play-by-play log and they were never on the court at the same time. A classic case of fake news.

From the little that we've seen, Han seems to have WNBA offensive ability right now. Even back in September, she put up 20 points against Team USA, and Xu looks like a better player now. Her defense is a question mark, but we won't know how much of a problem until she plays more. The one clear concern for me is her rebounding. Han usually floats around the perimeter on offense, so she usually isn't in good rebounding position. On the defensive end, she tends to stand upright and is easily pushed under the backboard even by smaller players. But other than Charles, we're not getting consistently good all-around games from our other post players either. You see promising flashes here and there, but it never lasts. This is also true with our perimeter players, which is the problem. We have a roster full of teases. Just when you're fed up and ready to unload these players, they have a good game that makes you hesitate. Then after getting a reprieve, they go back to being bad or really mediocre. Confused

It's difficult to develop three players at the same position because there aren't enough minutes to go around. We saw that last year when the Liberty had to jettison one of Boyd, Hartley or Lindsay Allen. New York faces a similar challenge right now with Zahui, Gray, and Han. If it were me, I'd go with the high ceiling player who incidentally may also be a marketing bonanza and the financial savior of the franchise. At the very least, there should be some kind of timetable for her development that is triggered by tangible indicators. Like if Han gains 10 lbs, she gets to play. Wink Or if the team goes 0-10, she gets to play. In all seriousness, there has to be a series milestones. Maybe the Libertyy already have such a plan in place -- I understand there's no incentive for the team to announce it. But from watching this franchise recently, I'm not confident that management is doing anything other than winging it.

PostPosted: 06/08/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't mean to suggest that Han can't help short-term. I really don't know. All I can say is I want to see her on the court. If Han is out there for at least 15 minutes per game--if that's at the expense of Zahui B. and/or Stokes and/or Gray--I'm fine with that. I don't see any of the other three as an important part of the team's future.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why Han should get SOME playing time tomorrow against the Aces' tall frontcourt. We shall see if Smith changes up anything.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/08/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if we were down 30 in the fourth quarter tomorrow. If the game is over by halftime, whether or not Han is part of the regular rotation, she will probably get some time.

I don't like the look of this game on paper, on TV or in the building. I'd be beyond shocked if we win this game.

PostPosted: 06/08/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I don't like the look of this game on paper, on TV or in the building.

Laughing How about your phone? Things are less scary when they're small.

PostPosted: 06/09/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay! So that's what winning feels like! I can't believe it, of all the games, this is the one I least expected them to win. I am now officially on record as saying that the Liberty will lose every game for the rest of the year and finish with just one win! Smile

The rapturous applause from everybody at the WCC at the end brought a tear to my eye. Winning a single regular season game isn't supposed to feel like this. But rooting for a basketball team isn't supposed to feel like what the losing streak felt like either.

I'm glad this happened before Hartley and Zahui B Amanda left for EuroBasket. It might have been a while for the first win otherwise, and it's good that the rookies experience a win. A losing streak like the one that just ended is demoralizing for players and fans alike.

Yay!

toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/19 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that Hartley was placed on the suspended list today but not Zahui B. They confirmed yesterday that both are leaving for the EuroBasket and won't be back until July. Just odd that Zahui B wasn't suspended as well.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/10/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Interesting that Hartley was placed on the suspended list today but not Zahui B. They confirmed yesterday that both are leaving for the EuroBasket and won't be back until July. Just odd that Zahui B wasn't suspended as well.

Yes it is , I wonder why ?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/10/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

i read on twitter Katie said she's leaves on the 20th

toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

i read on twitter Katie said she's leaves on the 20th

Seems like Zahui B would be cutting it close since the tournament starts on June 27.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/10/19 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some players are more dedicated to their WNBA teams than others. Zahui being a native Swede is surprisingly so.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 64 of 91

Jump to: