RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mercury @ Lynx - 6/06/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/06/19 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What great defense by Collier on Bonner with about a minute left and the Mercury trailing by 2!

I think I'm becoming a Lynx fan. I genuinely wanted them to win at the end there.

Tally24

PostPosted: 06/07/19 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once again, Cunningham has a high +/-, but has limited minutes.
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/07/19 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Once again, Cunningham has a high +/-, but has limited minutes.

I was surprised to see Sandy throw her out there in the fourth, but I thought she did really well out there and couldn’t figure out why she wasn’t given a shot earlier.

Turner looked lost during her entire stretch. Smith looked really good I thought.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/07/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lyruQe9WLJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/APC0qLi1c18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9kG0XFuU4Q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 06/07/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per the Lynx PR Twitter, Minnesota has beaten Phoenix 11 of the last 12 meetings.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/07/19 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:
At some point Griner needs to embrace the act of rebounding.

It's a nice thought, but the chances seem slim at this point.
In the absence of that, scoring would be pretty useful though. That's something I'm sure I've seen her do before. 3 FGA is Evil or Very Mad

With rebounding, Griner's issue is her base/frame. Her leg strength just is not there.

Look at A'ja Wilson's frame. She is a physical force and can use her lower body strength to battle for position, establish it, and keep it.

Griner's slight frame and lack of a strong base mean she uses her best asset -- height and wingspan -- for rebounding. This will yield good results, but not great ones...and it also has the risk for more fouls called (over the back, etc.).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/07/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:

In the absence of that, scoring would be pretty useful though. That's something I'm sure I've seen her do before. 3 FGA is Evil or Very Mad

With rebounding, Griner's issue is her base/frame. Her leg strength just is not there.

Look at A'ja Wilson's frame. She is a physical force and can use her lower body strength to battle for position, establish it, and keep it.

Griner's slight frame and lack of a strong base mean she uses her best asset -- height and wingspan -- for rebounding. This will yield good results, but not great ones...and it also has the risk for more fouls called (over the back, etc.).

I'm not buying it. It's a factor, but not her main one, which IMO is simply her lack of desire for rebounds.
Courtney Williams isn't exactly a physical force - she's one of the shortest and most slightly built players in the league, and doesn't even play near the rim, yet she consistently pulls in a stack of boards because she wants 'em.

miller40

PostPosted: 06/07/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:

I'm not buying it. It's a factor, but not her main one, which IMO is simply her lack of desire for rebounds.
Courtney Williams isn't exactly a physical force - she's one of the shortest and most slightly built players in the league, and doesn't even play near the rim, yet she consistently pulls in a stack of boards because she wants 'em.

Yeah. I don’t either. Her frame is still 6’9” and she’s not a petite 6’9”...

tfan

PostPosted: 06/08/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quickness is another factor in rebounding besides desire and pushing ability.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/08/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is hardly scientific, but ...

I think there are certain skills certain people have "knack" for, for lack of a better word.

One is rebounding. Some players get more rebounds than they should, given their size and leaping ability (Steph Curry, oddly enough, falls into this category). Other players do not have the rebounding knack, such as Brittney Griner.

Maybe it's about desire or physicality, but some people have a feel for where the ball will go off the rim and react more quickly. Or something.

The other knack is shot-blocking. Some tall players are lousy shotblockers (Griner is exceptional). Two of the best shotblockers I ever coached were 5-6 twins who couldn't jump -- but they blocked many more shots than they should have (they "should" have never blocked any).

There's more to the game than physical attributes ...

PostPosted: 06/08/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Some of it is certainly physical gifts.Strong legs, height, broad shoulders: They all help. But some of it is mentality, too.

All great players work. Some work harder. Some work on the unglamorous stuff. Some are first to practice, last to leave. Some will do almost anything to get that edge: Change their diet, give up fun activities, give up money, train every way they can think of.

On the team I know best, that player was Brunson. I don't think I remember a game where she wasn't out practicing when nobody else was on the court. On a team where lots of players did the work, Brunson did MORE.

Tamika Catchings always struck me as a player like this, too. Fever fans would know better than me, though.

I'm not saying Griner is lazy by any means. I LIKE Griner. I am sure she works on her game. There are just some players who FORCE themselves into being better by just scrapping for any edge. Not sure that's her.

(That's not me, either. That's my wife. Two of that kind of people together is rarely bliss, lol.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: