RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

by the uniform numbers...or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herna220

PostPosted: 05/30/19 5:22 pm    ::: by the uniform numbers...or not? Reply Reply with quote

Overall I like the new uniforms this season on just about all the teams, but I wonder if the lack of player numbers on front might trigger a league change at some point this season. Fans I sit around at Lynx games have been struggling to know which new and visiting players are on the court at any given time without front jersey numbers. Obviously people tend to know who the star players are, but lesser known visiting players off the bench or new rookies seem problematic. Imagine a few odd player/coach conversations like below have already happenned:

Coach: I need you to cover #16 on the inbounds
Player: Uh, which one is #16?
Coach: Sigh….The one with the bun and curled up shorts cuffs.

Also have seen referees waiting until a player has turned around after a foul call to say who fouled. While that is somewhat fun to watch in a twisted "you really called that tic tac foul" sort of way it does delay the game just a tiny bit each time.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/30/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is affecting my enjoyment of the games; I can't count the number of times I've looked at the front of a player's jersey to see which player she was, and come up empty handed. This is needlessly putting up a barrier against people familiarizing themselves with the WNBA players.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/30/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could have prevented this problem if they just put the numbers on the front of the shorts..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
herna220

PostPosted: 05/30/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i thought that too, but many players are rolling their shorts up these days as some sort of fashion statement.

Obviously players can have whatever hair style they wish but those with long braids or ponytails obstruct their back numbers at times too.

Unless the league cracks down on rolling up shorts or switching to shorter shorts with numbers, only thing I can think of short of eliminating a front facing sponsorship logo (ain't gonna happen) is to get the number on the side of the uniform under the arm hole.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:
i thought that too, but many players are rolling their shorts up these days as some sort of fashion statement.

Obviously players can have whatever hair style they wish but those with long braids or ponytails obstruct their back numbers at times too.

Unless the league cracks down on rolling up shorts or switching to shorter shorts with numbers, only thing I can think of short of eliminating a front facing sponsorship logo (ain't gonna happen) is to get the number on the side of the uniform under the arm hole.

What they really need is a tailor to come in for each team and measure the players and have the uniforms custom done for each player. I mean, this is the WNBA and this is Nike. The tucking, rolling, and tightening of the uniforms is so far beyond out of control, I can't stand it.

I know I'm a UCONN fan, but our uniforms are always worn appropriately. There is no tucking, rolling, and tightening because they don't have to. I believe all the players are measured. Case in point, Katie Lou never adjusted her uniform at all in college, but her first game in the W, she had her shirt rolled and tucked under her sports bra. It caused the uniform in the back to crinkle and her entire number wasn't visible.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx announcer mentioned this last night, saying refs were having trouble.

I saw another identification problem: several Storm players' hair was so long it covered up their numbers. Put numbers on he shorts (which are not supposed to be pulled up, are they?).

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes its a problem ...Lets see what the WNBA does Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rolling of the shorts is some sort of fashion trend nonsense. They could just wear smaller shorts (just like the men have done) funny that the same trend is going on Laughing

YeH Ariel from the Storm had her hair loose. That shouldnt ne allowed by the refs because there is a big chance that someone gets her hand caught up in that

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The current England soccer team shirts (made by Nike, funnily enough) have a small version of the numbers just under the Nike logo on the right 'lapel'. Might take a slight reorganisation (move the sponsor logo lower, or the Nike logo higher/more central) but seems like they could fit it there if they wanted. My guess is that they haven't done any of the obvious fixes because it costs money (not just the extra printing, but if you put numbers on the shorts each pair of shorts becomes specific - you can't just chuck the player a 'medium' if they need a new pair). But it is a little silly. Knowing this league they'll probably try to fix it by outlawing long and/or voluminous hair.

PostPosted: 05/30/19 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree- uniforms were not thought through very well. Players rolling their shorts looks very sloppy and lack of visibility of numbers is an issue

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

who cares about the shorts being rolled up - is it seriously a debate to put the number on the shorts?!?!?! who and when has that even been done? just find a place to put numbers on the front of jerseys... geez

Shades

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the shorts wouldn’t be so bad. They could even make the number bigger than this.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the jersey Richyyy was talking about

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the design I meant. Obviously it would need to be adapted a bit to handle the logos currently on WNBA jerseys.

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
who cares about the shorts being rolled up - is it seriously a debate to put the number on the shorts?!?!?! who and when has that even been done? just find a place to put numbers on the front of jerseys... geez

All the time in soccer. I think it’s a good idea if the front of the jersey is gone to sponsor space.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably the reason we have gone to the Alternate Logos so
we can make "AT&T Logo as big as possible "
The truth be told some of the teams "Alternate" Logos
are NOT very good!

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numbers should be a higher priority than team logos on the front. I understand they need to use part of the jersey for advertising, but scrap the logo! If you want more team identity, try allowing teams to have differences in the way the jersey is patterned.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/31/19 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Its pretty standard in every basketbal league in Holland. I have played basketball for 20 years and all my shorts(team uniform) have numbers on it

NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/04/19 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is ridiculous! I'm hating the lack of numbers even more now as I realize exactly how disruptive it is to my watching!

Yesterday, watching the Liberty, I several times mistook Rashanda Gray for Tina Charles (and vice versa). When we watch, we use peripheral vision to take in a lot of information. Numbers are so useful in that regard. Even when you know the players, that extra bit of information reinforces what you're seeing in the corner of your eye. I am expending a whole lot more mental energy trying to just keep track of the Liberty players. Instead of just knowing, I have to keep on asking myself who is who.

When you're spending so much attention tracking your own team, you might as well forget trying to keep track of players on out of teams! You don't learn other player's numbers because you see them so infrequently now. Usually, when a player makes a play or goes to the foul line and they show the player from the front, you get that reinforcement with the number. Spectators put a face to the number and the number to a face, and it feeds on itself.

I guess they can't do anything about the advertising, but they need to get rid of the team logos and replace them with numbers. Or maybe the number on the shorts idea would work.

Does the WNBA have a place for feedback on this stuff? I'd like to add my voice to the other people who are no doubt complaining about this.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/05/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

...I guess they can't do anything about the advertising, but they need to get rid of the team logos and replace them with numbers. Or maybe the number on the shorts idea would work.

Does the WNBA have a place for feedback on this stuff? I'd like to add my voice to the other people who are no doubt complaining about this.

I'm Tweeting "Numbers on shorts, please, @WNBA!" on Twitter pix that need it.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 06/05/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has actually gotten so officials aren't calling numbers anymore when they walk over to the table in many instances.

They just say "Foul on McBride" and the stat crew has to figure out the number.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/05/19 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe an unintended effect is that it’s reducing the number of fouls called, which I enjoy. Let em play.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/05/19 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
It has actually gotten so officials aren't calling numbers anymore when they walk over to the table in many instances.

That doesn't surprise me at all, but doesn't really fix things. It just passes the work along to somebody else. And I also doubt that every ref in the league recognises every player by sight (plus the number of repeated names - Howards, Grays, Ogwumikes etc could lead to errors).

I don't think this is quite as big of an issue as some people are making it, but it's such an avoidable nonsense. And if they'd changed the design of NBA jerseys and then noticed this issue, it would've been fixed before the end of preseason. I know they're always trying to keep costs down, but you don't want to end up looking low-rent as a result.

PostPosted: 06/05/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:

That doesn't surprise me at all, but doesn't really fix things. It just passes the work along to somebody else. And I also doubt that every ref in the league recognises every player by sight (plus the number of repeated names - Howards, Grays, Ogwumikes etc could lead to errors).

I don't think this is quite as big of an issue as some people are making it, but it's such an avoidable nonsense. And if they'd changed the design of NBA jerseys and then noticed this issue, it would've been fixed before the end of preseason. I know they're always trying to keep costs down, but you don't want to end up looking low-rent as a result.

PostPosted: 06/05/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is amazing when the Jerseys were being designed that no one brought the no numbers on the front as being a problem !
At yesterdays Liberty game I was sitting next to the Scorers Table and heard the confusion of Refs and the Official Scorer about foul calls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: