RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 Attendance Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/27/19 4:25 am    ::: 2019 Attendance Report Reply Reply with quote

Opening weekend numbers:

1. Minnesota - 8,524
2. Seattle - 8,500
3. Connecticut - 7,913
4. Las Vegas - 7,249
5. Atlanta - 3,070
6. New York - 1,965
WNBA AVERAGE - 6,203

Phoenix & Los Angeles have their home openers on Friday, Washington, Chicago, Indiana & Dallas have theirs on Saturday.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/28/19 11:26 am    ::: Re: 2019 Attendance Report Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Opening weekend numbers:

1. Minnesota - 8,524
2. Seattle - 8,500
3. Connecticut - 7,913
4. Las Vegas - 7,249
5. Atlanta - 3,070
6. New York - 1,965
WNBA AVERAGE - 6,203

Phoenix & Los Angeles have their home openers on Friday, Washington, Chicago, Indiana & Dallas have theirs on Saturday.

What concerns me about the Liberty is not the raw number, but the percentage of capacity. Westchester County Center is listed as having a capacity of 5,000 for basketball. 39.3 percent of capacity for such a small venue for an opening game is not a good figure. Thankfully, Barclays will (presumably) be hosting Liberty game going forward -- and perhaps will have better marketing people in place to bring NY back to prominence among the league's leaders in attendnace.

Then again, State Farm Arena (formerly Philips Arena) in Atlanta has a listed capacity for basketball at 16,600. Not sure how many seats (i.e., upper levels) are open for Dream games, but the raw number and the percentage of capacity are both pretty bad for a home opener.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/28/19 11:41 am    ::: Re: 2019 Attendance Report Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Opening weekend numbers:

1. Minnesota - 8,524
2. Seattle - 8,500
3. Connecticut - 7,913
4. Las Vegas - 7,249
5. Atlanta - 3,070
6. New York - 1,965
WNBA AVERAGE - 6,203

What concerns me about the Liberty is not the raw number, but the percentage of capacity. Westchester County Center is listed as having a capacity of 5,000 for basketball. 39.3 percent of capacity for such a small venue for an opening game is not a good figure. Thankfully, Barclays will (presumably) be hosting Liberty game going forward -- and perhaps will have better marketing people in place to bring NY back to prominence among the league's leaders in attendnace.

In fairness, I'm yet to see a layout for the WCC that gets it anywhere close to 5,000 for basketball. I did some maths for the place in this thread here - http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1505453&highlight=westchester#1505453 - that puts it at more like 2,500 at best. Funnily enough, claiming in certain places that the capacity is 5,000 - therefore trying to make it sound like a more viable arena than it actually is - is actually doing them no favours in perception of the attendance. They're actually selling (or at least 'selling') a much greater proportion of the tickets than that implies.

PostPosted: 05/28/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The scary number is Atlanta, which is of course inflated. I wonder how many people were really there?

And if the owners are counting the days before they can negotiate with Joe Lacob to see if they can get anything at all for the Dream to be at the Chase Center next summer?

PostPosted: 05/28/19 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream drew 4,400 last season at McCamish Pavilion. The Dream would really benefit from having an arena that the Mystics have.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/28/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics’ arena is 4200 capacity. Maybe you should start reporting in capacity percentages.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/28/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is capacity percentage important? Also, is the average of 6,203 up or down from last year?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/28/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Why is capacity percentage important? Also, is the average of 6,203 up or down from last year?

Capacity percentage is an important figure for smaller arenas. If an arena only holds 5,000, but has 4,400 in attendance, it is at 88 percent capacity, which gives a much better figure than just the raw attendance number.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/28/19 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

With teams going to smaller venues, there’s not much value to saying that overall WNBA attendance is down from last year. It should be expected to be down from last year, unless increases from other teams more than offset the loss from the Mystics.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/28/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there are really two main aspects here:

1) Fan experience: What's it like to go to the game? Is it easy to park? Is it too expensive to park? Is it easy to get there? Do you feel safe? Are the seats comfortable? Are the restrooms clean and are there enough of them? Are the concessions' lines too long? How good is the food? Can you see the whole court from all the seats? Are the ticket prices acceptable? How hard/expensive is it to get good seats?

And then of course there's the game. Is the game well-played? Are there exceptional athletes making athletic plays? Do the players play hard (care)? Are the teams well-coached? Do the players seem to understand the game and what they're trying to do? Is the officiating adequate?

To me, the size of the arena has little to do with any of this, except that an arena that's too small for the regular crowds will not have enough parking, be too crowded, etc. But a well-designed arena seating 7,500 (or 4,200) that doesn't get overwhelmed by numbers would work.

TV experience: A much simpler situation, focusing mainly on the issues mentioned above about the game. The higher percentage of occupied seats means more energy and a better look on TV, but really, it's about the quality of play.

The announcers and production values come into play here, but again, that has little to do with the size of the arena.

Another factor, but a lesser one, really, is the player experience: How are the locker rooms? Are there amenities (space for child care, food for family and friends)? Is it safe to get to, and get in and out of?

And again, the size of the arena has little impact on this.

Another long post (sorry) to simply say that 4,200 or 20,000, arena size is not nearly as important to the league as many, many other factors.

PostPosted: 05/28/19 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note, Hoopfeed.com will be tracking attendance numbers this year, so there's no need for me to update. I'll post their updated link every Monday.

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2019/05/27/wnba-attendance-figures-for-2019/

In terms of from last season, the league is currently down by 564. Last year's average finished at 6,768. Two teams aren't capable of getting over 4,200. It'll be interesting to see how Seattle does in an alternative venue. They sold-out their opener in Everett, so I wonder if they can keep that up.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 05/28/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
In terms of from last season, the league is currently down by 564. Last year's average finished at 6,768. Two teams aren't capable of getting over 4,200. It'll be interesting to see how Seattle does in an alternative venue. They sold-out their opener in Everett, so I wonder if they can keep that up.

I had heard through the grapevine that there was a lot of interest in attending the Storm games from Everett natives who would have never thought about driving to Seattle to go to a game. When I arrived to the game, there was a line that stretched almost all the way around the stadium 1 and a half hours before tipoff. Many people were buying tickets the day of the game. They got a heck of a show, so hopefully they come back next Tuesday or the Friday night games.

PostPosted: 05/28/19 6:29 pm    ::: Re: 2019 Attendance Report Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Opening weekend numbers:

1. Minnesota - 8,524
2. Seattle - 8,500
3. Connecticut - 7,913
4. Las Vegas - 7,249
5. Atlanta - 3,070
6. New York - 1,965
WNBA AVERAGE - 6,203

What concerns me about the Liberty is not the raw number, but the percentage of capacity. Westchester County Center is listed as having a capacity of 5,000 for basketball. 39.3 percent of capacity for such a small venue for an opening game is not a good figure. Thankfully, Barclays will (presumably) be hosting Liberty game going forward -- and perhaps will have better marketing people in place to bring NY back to prominence among the league's leaders in attendance.

5k capacity... PANTS ON FIRE!!!

5k at wcc is fake news...that number is for hs games where bleachers are out in both sides there are seats on the stage and no vip seats

The actual capacity for Westchester as stated more than once for lib college and dubknick games is 2200 and change in fact they add seats to just get to that

So 1900 isn't that bad

The 5k was a lie by Dolan and I'll shoot it down any time I see it

3k in Atlanta way more alarming.

PostPosted: 05/30/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't figure out how the hell the league will survive with such disappointing attendance numbers.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would you consider a good league average attendance?

PostPosted: 05/30/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think 7,000 should be the goal since two teams can't draw more than. 4,200. Basically have the bottom feeders with New York, Washington and probably Atlanta. If Los Angeles, Phoenix & Minnesota can do 9,000+ and the remaining teams are around 6,500+7,500; then 7k should be obtainable.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/19 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://acrossthetimeline.com/wnba/attendance.html

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/03/19 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://acrossthetimeline.com/wnba/attendance.html

Interesting site ... I just checked 2009 briefly but gave up at the obviously and hugely inflated numbers.

Granted, the NBA finals were on, but 2,747? And that means maybe 1,500 actual people? Not good news ...

PostPosted: 06/04/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix had over 14,000 for the home opener against Las Vegas.

I attended the game (with caune). The entire lower bowl was full, and the upper bowl behind sections 101-106 was open.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/04/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Liberty's "big" school day crowd, the Dream are officially at the bottom. They're now being outdrawn by two teams with capacity at 4,200 or less. I asked this in another thread, but maybe the Dream can move to the Hawks' new G-League arena that's opening this Fall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Center_(College_Park)

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/04/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455,

Atlanta doesn't support ANY of it's teams...I'm shocked that the NCAA tournaments are still held there each year!!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/05/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've certainly heard Atlanta called a bad sports city many times before, but the fact is that the Dream used to average - or at least claim to average - in the 5-7,000 range. They did that consistently for a lot of years. Then they left Philips/State Farm Arena for two years, now they're back, and the early numbers look a little scary. We never know from the outside what rents are like, how much more they're paying for State Farm than they were for McCamish, but they barely broke 3,000 for their home opener and barely broke 2,000 a week later. I really hope they manage to improve things as the season wears on, but it's an ugly start.

PostPosted: 06/09/19 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four teams are currently at or below averaging 4,000. Indiana's way down this year, plus the known ones of Atlanta & Washington. New York is still in Westchester for now, so hopefully that changes next season. But league-wide, half the teams are way down from last season. League average is currently at 5,416(down from 6,779 in 2018).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/10/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Four teams are currently at or below averaging 4,000. Indiana's way down this year, plus the known ones of Atlanta & Washington. New York is still in Westchester for now, so hopefully that changes next season. But league-wide, half the teams are way down from last season. League average is currently at 5,416(down from 6,779 in 2018).

With all the Stars sitting out this is beyond believable .

Diggins
Taurasi
Moore
Parker
Bird
Stewie
Mccoughtry

Fill seats

PostPosted: 06/10/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just a note, Hoopfeed.com will be tracking attendance numbers this year, so there's no need for me to update. I'll post their updated link every Monday.

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2019/05/27/wnba-attendance-figures-for-2019/

They have not updated the attendance since the opening weekend.

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/tag/wnba-attendance/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: