RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Got G.o.T.?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 05/20/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't read There There yet (it's on my summer reading list), but I'll keep this in mind as I read it. Thanks!

PostPosted: 05/20/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the final episode.

It worked for what it was, and the decisions made sense thematically and in respect to character (for the most part--there was one thing that puzzled me, but I'll get to that).

Of course, I say this with the understanding that we just accept the new status quo that was introduced in the last episode. I am, more or less, pretending that they earned the changes rather than just flipped some narrative switch, and embracing the last episode as a work of it's own.

In that vein, one of the scenes I loved was Drogon melting the Iron Throne. Reminding us that Dragons are not just a pet, but an intelligent creature, and Drogon would have watched his mother descend into madness all in pursuit of a damn metal chair.

The choice of Bran makes sense, if undeveloped.

The North leaving is obvious, since the neck is easy to hold and there is not enough troops alive to force them back into the fold, so allowing independence is a no brainer that wasn't really a choice.

But why does Yara suddenly accept rule? The Iron Isles are okay with this? And Dorne? These two were barely part of the Seven Kingdoms to begin with. And logistically they both have strong geographic barriers that make it very hard (like the North) for a weak kingdom to enforce an undesired rule. That's probably my biggest nitpick. Probably needed to explore their motivation for why they would want to be a part of the New Kingdom.

Jon killing Dany was the ending that was always going to happen. I've known that since it was foreshadowed in the books with the prophecy of Azor Ahai (in the books the original Azor Ahai tempers Lightbringer, the legendary weapon that killed the original Night King and ended the long night, by driving it through the heart of the woman he loves).

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

- Didn't the Wall melt in about 10 mins last year? Who rebuilt it?

-Drogon was an astute son, knew his mother's death was best for all, and knew his cousin Jon did what had to be done. I like it.

-However, the overall cheesy, feel-good Hollywood ending was a bit too much, even though I'm glad no one but Dany died.

-Tyrion's sales job was an all-time great- from certain death to de facto ruler of Westeros- and entirely unbelievable. But I'm glad it happened.

Overall, a disappointing season. However, I'm more disappointed that it's over.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
- Didn't the Wall melt in about 10 mins last year? Who rebuilt it?

Just one small section at the eastern end. Enough for the Night King to march his army through.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
one of my head-scratchers was drogon's behavior after dany was stabbed. he couldn't tell jon killed her (and, therefore, would've lit up his ass)? ok, he's just a dragon - how would he know? well, then, what was up with him burning down the throne? did he understand the significance of that? and if so, then he could've known, by his natural sense of smell, that jon was the killer. clueless and insightful. didn't work for me.

My interpretation of the scene was that Drogon was grief stricken at the death of his mother. He lashed out in grief and anger in the only way he knows how, by spitting fire all over the place of Dany's death, not just at the throne. Do you remember the aerial shot where almost the whole throne room was on fire. Drogon avoided spitting fire at only at Jon in his fit because Jon, as a Targaryen, is a dragon friend/master.

I was puzzled at how anyone knew Jon killed Dany. There were no witnesses and Drogon disappeared with the corpus delicti. Jon must have confessed, dunce that he is.

In practical terms, Tyrion as Hand will rule the six kingdoms. Bran is unlikely to do anything other than his traditional sitting in a wheelchair with his mink coat and uttering a word, or nodding his head, once or twice a month.

Arya's choice to explore the unknown west of Westeros seems the most fruitful for a sequel. There is an HBO prequel already planned, which doesn't particularly interest me.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/20/19 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The trope of a man killing the woman he loves while in intimate embrace, framing him as the REAL victim is bad. It does not exist in a vacuum. When people are violent against their partners, they see themselves as Jon Snow. They HAD to do it. Look what you made him do, Dany. As the series demonstrated the way one frames their own narrative matters. Danaeris framed herself as a liberator and could not see she was a tyrant. But the show frames Jon in the way domestic abusers frame themselves, as "he HAD to do it, he had no other choice”. Narrative fiction is a series of choices created by writers. They created a situation where our hero’s violence against a woman’s body is sad but justified.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

except that Dany needlessly killed millions of innocents instead of, say, smiling at a stranger.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like Meghan AT ALL but that was funny.

<embed><iframe width="745" height="419" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TzPR094NOAc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzPR094NOAc

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The trope of a man killing the woman he loves while in intimate embrace, framing him as the REAL victim is bad. It does not exist in a vacuum. When people are violent against their partners, they see themselves as Jon Snow. They HAD to do it. Look what you made him do, Dany. As the series demonstrated the way one frames their own narrative matters. Danaeris framed herself as a liberator and could not see she was a tyrant. But the show frames Jon in the way domestic abusers frame themselves, as "he HAD to do it, he had no other choice”. Narrative fiction is a series of choices created by writers. They created a situation where our hero’s violence against a woman’s body is sad but justified.

How come pilight never gives creds?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1130543549311623168.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/20/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

How come pilight never gives creds?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1130543549311623168.html

In this case I didn't want to go 12 rounds over whether Ellis is actually crazy.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'Game of Thrones' Series Finale Sets All-Time HBO Ratings Record

Quote:
The HBO megahit drew 13.6 million viewers for its initial airing of the series finale Sunday night. Adding in replays and early streaming, that figure climbs to 19.3 million. Both figures are records not just for Game of Thrones, but for HBO's entire history.

This is peanuts compared to the most watched finales just on TV and just in the U.S. in the days before the Children of the Forest.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24673/10-most-watched-series-finales-ever
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/20/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="607" height="341" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5oxB8YdAY-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/5oxB8YdAY-Y

PostPosted: 05/20/19 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
The HBO megahit drew 13.6 million viewers for its initial airing of the series finale Sunday night. Adding in replays and early streaming, that figure climbs to 19.3 million. Both figures are records not just for Game of Thrones, but for HBO's entire history.

This is peanuts compared to the most watched finales just on TV and just in the U.S. in the days before the Children of the Forest.

Kinda the converse of the oft-spouted "the wnba outdrew the nba in IT'S 1st 20 years" silliness.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I liked the final episode.

But why does Yara suddenly accept rule? The Iron Isles are okay with this? And Dorne? These two were barely part of the Seven Kingdoms to begin with. And logistically they both have strong geographic barriers that make it very hard (like the North) for a weak kingdom to enforce an undesired rule. That's probably my biggest nitpick. Probably needed to explore their motivation for why they would want to be a part of the New Kingdom.

I read the prequel book a month or so ago. According to it, Dorne remained free for generations after Aegon conquered the rest of the seven kingdoms. Now a dude in a wheelchair with no dragons is going to command them? Yeah, that doesn't seem to fit the society. Maybe after the whole mess with the Sand Snakes, Dorne's king figures someone else should get shot at.

sambista

PostPosted: 05/21/19 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophie Turner on ‘Game of Thrones,’ Sansa’s End and ‘Disrespectful’ Fan Reactions

sophie turner wrote:
All of these petitions and things like that — I think it’s disrespectful to the crew, and the writers, and the filmmakers who have worked tirelessly over 10 years, and for 11 months shooting the last season. Like 50-something night shoots. So many people worked so, so hard on it, and for people to just rubbish it because it’s not what they want to see is just disrespectful.

PostPosted: 05/21/19 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elective Monarchy and the Future of Westeros

https://acoup.blog/2019/05/20/new-acquisitions-elective-monarchy-and-the-future-of-westeros/

Quote:
the elective monarchy Bran has been given – and given here is a key word – is not sanctioned by longstanding tradition and deep legitimacy. It is new and exists in a world completely lacking in elective traditions – Westeros has no functioning Republics, no ancient memory of kings selected by acclamation, or by a Senate or Nordic althing (a Scandinavian form of assembly). What it has is a tradition of male-preference father-to-son inheritance of titles that goes back, unbroken, since before the start of recorded history.

PostPosted: 05/21/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Whom the Bell Tolls
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QCHlCiB98N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/21/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Less than 6% of the country watched it. Sure wouldn't imagine that given all of the incessant ink and breathless coverage of a TV show.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/21/19 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Less than 6% of the country watched it. Sure wouldn't imagine that given all of the incessant ink and breathless coverage of a TV show.

It is on a premium channel which severely limits access to it.

So now add in the pirated views:

Game of Thrones’ season 8 premiere was pirated almost 55 million times in the first 24 hours

And that 54 million was just 24 hours, add in all the people who will get it legitimately on Blu-Ray/DVD release or pirate the entire season at that time, and that 6% suddenly becomes a whole heck of a lot more.

PostPosted: 05/22/19 3:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

It is on a premium channel which severely limits access to it.

So now add in the pirated views:

Game of Thrones’ season 8 premiere was pirated almost 55 million times in the first 24 hours

And that 54 million was just 24 hours, add in all the people who will get it legitimately on Blu-Ray/DVD release or pirate the entire season at that time, and that 6% suddenly becomes a whole heck of a lot more.

yeah. i checked one of my sites, and within hours of the airing of the final epi, there were 48,000 downloads of the first upload.

PostPosted: 05/24/19 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Middle Ages weren’t as sexist as Game Of Thrones would have you believe

https://www.avclub.com/the-middle-ages-weren-t-as-sexist-as-game-of-thrones-wo-1834980838

Quote:
Much of the sex, violence, and misogyny that many believe to be part of the “real” Middle Ages actually has much more to do with the sexual repression, violent colonialism, and sexism of the Victorian period. During the Victorian era, women could not own land, plead their case in court, seal their names in business deals, or go on Crusade. During the Middle Ages, women could do all those things.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: