RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's another item in the list of reasons to put a little more room between the Final Four and the draft. You don't have to have a true combine or pre-draft camp, but at least request that every meaningful player make themselves available for a medical by a league doctor. Anyone who actively avoided it would immediately raise some red flags (and if you wanted to avoid some of the time issues you could bring together everyone who isn't in the Final Four at least a week earlier).

PostPosted: 05/11/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC State lost four players to season-ending injuries. I wonder if Leslie just didn't want to know herself. I can see her gutting it out in an effort to help her college team. Afterward, she hoped it would go away. A case of avoidance behavior.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maci Morris was waived this morning.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/10/mystics-top-draft-pick-kiara-leslie-expected-miss-months-with-knee-injury/

Quote:
Thibault said Leslie will count against the team’s roster this season and cannot be replaced with another player. Her rookie salary, which is just under $45,000, will count against Washington’s salary cap space.

“That’s one of the flaws you’re at the risk of when you draft somebody — not knowing something,” Thibault said. “And the other part of it is, we didn’t draft her for 10 to 12 weeks; we drafted her for 10 to 12 years. So we’ll get through this.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
stever

PostPosted: 05/15/19 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Fuehring was waived today.

Also: https://mystics.wnba.com/news/training-camp-roster-update/

Quote:
Washington Mystics Head Coach Mike Thibault announced that forward Aerial Powers suffered a left gluteal injury in the team’s recent preseason game against the Minnesota Lynx. Powers is expected to be out for approximately two to four weeks.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/15/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found it interesting that Cloud is listed at 5-9 here: https://mystics.wnba.com/news/training-camp-roster-update/ but 6-0 on the regular roster. Should we just split the difference or is it a str8 up typo?

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/15/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I found it interesting that Cloud is listed at 5-9 here: https://mystics.wnba.com/news/training-camp-roster-update/ but 6-0 on the regular roster. Should we just split the difference or is it a str8 up typo?

Cloud is listed as 6-0 by St. Joseph's University. However, teams have been known to correct inflated college heights. Sugar Rodgers was 5-11 coming out of Georgetown, but either the Lynx or Liberty lowered her to 5-9.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Cloud always looked like a big guard to me on the court. More "listed 6'0"" than "listed 5'9". Here is a picture which suggests either listed height could be correct as she is standing between listed 5'11" Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and listed 5'9" Tayler Hill:

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/16/19 4:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no way Cloud is 5'9, must be a mistake.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After tonight's preseason game:

PG: Cloud
SG: Toliver/Walker-Kimbrough/Mestdagh
SF: Atkins/Powers
PF: Delle Donne/Meeseeman/Hines-Allen
C: Sanders/Hawkins
IR: Leslie

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
stever

PostPosted: 05/19/19 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OAmYSFyXoZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/19 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are Mystics fans cool with Shey Peddy as the only PG option after Cloud and Toliver?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/22/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are Mystics fans cool with Shey Peddy as the only PG option after Cloud and Toliver?

I doubt she makes the final roster.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I doubt she makes the final roster.

Only having two PG options doesn’t seem too smart. Who else can run the point in a pinch on that team? Atkins? Powers? SWK?

My thought was maybe Thibault might look for an upgrade over Peddy, but he probably would have done that by now, so maybe Peddy’s doing good.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/22/19 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, Mystics may only have 9 available for their opener on Saturday. Delle Donne is questionable to play on Saturday. Powers & Leslie are out. I wonder if the Mystics might put Leslie on the suspended list for the season?

https://twitter.com/avarwallace/status/1131220747861536768

Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/19 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Meanwhile, Mystics may only have 9 available for their opener on Saturday. Delle Donne is questionable to play on Saturday. Powers & Leslie are out. I wonder if the Mystics might put Leslie on the suspended list for the season?

https://twitter.com/avarwallace/status/1131220747861536768

Towards the top of the page I posted an article that states Leslie counts against the salary cap and takes up a roster spot, so no she can’t be suspended. But all season she should be used as a player that count towards an injury exemption.

It’s curious if Delle Donne is already missing games that people think she’s a good MVP candidate? Remember, no MVP has ever missed more than three games in a season. She better get healthy quick and stay healthy. I wouldn’t bet on it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if the Mystics might put Leslie on the suspended list for the season?

Not without her permission, and why would Leslie agree if it means she won't get paid? As I've stated multiple times before, suspensions are punishment for violating your contract -- in most cases for not showing up. It's not a leave of absence even though it can function that way when both sides agree the player will neither show up nor get paid. Leslie fulfilled her first contractual requirement by showing up for camp. The fact that she failed her physical is sufficient reason to cut her, but if the team decides to keep Kiara anyway, then the responsibility is on them. She hasn't done anything wrong. I don't see a full season suspension occurring unless Washington can slip Kiara a bag of money in the parking lot or Thibault is really good at laying guilt trips on people. However, Washington still has the option of cutting Leslie since rookie contracts are not guaranteed.

PostPosted: 05/23/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics waive Shey Peddy

PostPosted: 05/23/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mystics waive Shey Peddy

Like I said before, now the Mystics only have two lead guard types in Cloud and Toliver.... unless Atkins or SWK have been working on that aspect. I gotta think Thibault is in the market for another PG, maybe even a decent one like Leilani Mitchell?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/23/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Mystics waive Shey Peddy

Like I said before, now the Mystics only have two lead guard types in Cloud and Toliver.... unless Atkins or SWK have been working on that aspect. I gotta think Thibault is in the market for another PG, maybe even a decent one like Leilani Mitchell?

i wouldnt be suprised to see Toliver play more at the PG spot this season. Atkins moves to SG and it creates room for their big line-up with Meesseman, EDD and Sanders/Hawkins together. So Cloud and Toliver would be enough.

But i wouldnt be suprised to see them sign FLB

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 05/23/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Mystics waive Shey Peddy

i wouldnt be suprised to see Toliver play more at the PG spot this season. Atkins moves to SG and it creates room for their big line-up with Meesseman, EDD and Sanders/Hawkins together. So Cloud and Toliver would be enough.

That’d be risky business for a team that fancies themselves as title contenders.

I suppose teams are hoping Mitchell makes it all the way through waivers and would be willing to sign as a free agent for vet minimum, saving teams $40K.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/24/19 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most teams can only dream of having 2 point guards like Cloud and Toliver. I don't see it as much of an issue (unless injuries happen but that's a problem for any team).

Shades

PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m guessing Toliver is also starting. It’s conceivable there will be times when they both will need to be off the court at the same time. I’m guessing Thibault has a plan. Just curious what he has in mind. He cut a third PG in order to keep Mestdagh.

Dallas made what was to me a painful cut of Burke in order to keep a training camp invite level PG in McCarty. So despite PG duties being able to be spread out over Hill, Ogunbowale, and Davis, Dallas felt the need to keep McCarty around until one of their normal PG’s returns.

The Aces kept veteran but late training camp invite Colson over Nared in order to have a proper backup to Plum. Apparently relying on Young as a PG wasn’t in the cards.

Seattle has a similar problem (through injury, not by choice) to Washington at the PG. Most likely Loyd is the primary backup to Canada. But apparently Whitcomb can run some point.

To me, all these teams would be a good landing spot for Mitchell, if they can make the numbers work.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would they ever need to be off the court at the same time?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Why would they ever need to be off the court at the same time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: