RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It's official
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/16/19 12:21 pm    ::: It's official Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/26761115/wings-trade-mvp-runner-cambage-aces

Two draft picks in 2020 ...

PostPosted: 05/16/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, this trade is great for LV in the short-term and Dallas in the long-term. The fact that they are sending two draft picks is big.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
IMO, this trade is great for LV in the short-term and Dallas in the long-term. The fact that they are sending two draft picks is big.

I'm not sure about the impact of the draft picks. 2020 looks pretty weak, and the first-round pick will likely be pretty late. Just like the NBA, only the top few draft picks tend to be difference-makers ...

PostPosted: 05/16/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's where the biggest loss for Dallas has come in terms of taking so long to get this deal done. Initially it was this year's Aces pick - so the #1 overall - but now it's become the 2020, which could be anywhere, and likely won't be as good (regardless of draft class). The second-rounder is essentially irrelevant, as always. But that delay is probably on Cambage rather than the Wings. If she was still saying LA only at that point, Vegas weren't going to be making the deal.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a steal for Laimbeer. All he's giving up off his roster is Jefferson, who missed part of last season and then didn't play well. Harrison is excess and the two picks will be low in their round in a weak draft. Historically, Agler hates rookies so that diminishes the likelihood of success even more. In the end, Bill gave up nobody he'll miss while gaining an MVP caliber player.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas only wins if Cambage shows up after 2019.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Vegas only wins if Cambage shows up after 2019.

Or if they win a championship this year.

OTOH, Dallas didn't get much. A bench guard who might not play this year, a PF who's not as good as the one they already have and sat out last season, and a couple of draft in a weak looking draft.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBS Sports:Liz Cambage trade grades: Aces make leap into title contention after acquiring 2018 WNBA MVP runner-up

Aces: A+
Wings: D
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/16/19 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think both teams did the best they could based on the circumstances.

LV got a game changing player that combined with their current roster and very experienced coach makes them a contender even if just for a year. They gave up two players who in the past have been borderline starters but who weren't really a big part of last year team and some picks they hope based on their success this season will be late round picks in a mediocre draft. If Liz only stays for a year they still have plenty of youth and internal development if she returns for a couple more seasons great

Dallas was in a hard spot. Harrison and Jefferson can still pan out and the pick could happen

toad455

PostPosted: 05/16/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas might as well tank for Ionescu. They probably don't have the odds with them as Indiana & New York are likely lotto teams again. If anything, they'll be looking at Kaila Charles or Mompremier at #3 or #4.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/16/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Dallas might as well tank for Ionescu.

If they wanted to tank, they wouldn’t have made the trades they did today. They might not win, but I’m sure they’ll be trying.

toad455 wrote:
They probably don't have the odds with them as Indiana & New York are likely lotto teams again. If anything, they'll be looking at Kaila Charles or Mompremier at #3 or #4.

Oh, you had to bring up Kaila Charles, didn’t you? Now I feel obligated to rag on Megdal again for ineptly placing her out of the Top 2 rounds.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/16/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Dallas might as well tank for Ionescu. They probably don't have the odds with them as Indiana & New York are likely lotto teams again. If anything, they'll be looking at Kaila Charles or Mompremier at #3 or #4.

Why tank for Ionescu when Lauren Cox is our glaringly needed position of choice. I love SAB but i want to suck 4 cox all summer 19 !

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
CBS Sports:Liz Cambage trade grades: Aces make leap into title contention after acquiring 2018 WNBA MVP runner-up

Aces:A+
Wings: F

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces: A
Wings: FU, Liz

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Aces: A
Wings: FU, Liz

She must of hated the Wings
Now lets see how much she likes Bill !

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah fans night be all for tanking but I doubt coaches and owners are (the W doesn't have the built in revenue like the N for tanking to be good for business) so Dallas (like NY) will be trying to win for most of the season. Dallas has enough talent and a decent enough coach to compete with the bottom 6 teams for those last few playoffs spots, and as toad points out NY and Indy are way ahead of them in the pp ball race anyway. So for now I see Dallas trying to win.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yeah fans night be all for tanking but I doubt coaches and owners are (the W doesn't have the built in revenue like the N for tanking to be good for business) so Dallas (like NY) will be trying to win for most of the season. Dallas has enough talent and a decent enough coach to compete with the bottom 6 teams for those last few playoffs spots, and as toad points out NY and Indy are way ahead of them in the pp ball race anyway. So for now I see Dallas trying to win.

They will be trying to win vs the Aces, that's for sure.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's going to be interesting to see those two twin towers work together.

G- Plum
G- McBride
F- T. Young
F- Wilson
C- Cambage

PostPosted: 05/17/19 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It's a steal for Laimbeer. All he's giving up off his roster is Jefferson, who missed part of last season and then didn't play well. Harrison is excess and the two picks will be low in their round in a weak draft. Historically, Agler hates rookies so that diminishes the likelihood of success even more. In the end, Bill gave up nobody he'll miss while gaining an MVP caliber player.

Laimeer just robbed dallas. in fact, i'll even go out and say that they successfully robbed a championship from the league (if cambage doesn't get injured)

PostPosted: 05/17/19 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about a Championship but I think Vegas is a lock to finish in the Top 4 during the regular season, at this point. With all the absences, nobody other than LA, Washington, or Vegas finishing first, as long as everyone stays healthy at this point. Connecticut will be good but they lack the star power of the other 3. Phoenix will struggle without Diana early but I could see them winning it all.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 05/17/19 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/17/19 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Laimeer just robbed dallas. in fact, i'll even go out and say that they successfully robbed a championship from the league (if cambage doesn't get injured)

It's not as bad as when a free agent leaves--at least Dallas got something in return. And considering the situation they were in, I think they did the best they could do. Laimbeer didn't rob the league. Cambage robbed the league by forcing a trade.

And I think it's far too early to proclaim Las Vegas champions. I'm sure sports books will take your action if you want to bet even money that they win it all.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/17/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is Las Vegas a better place to spend a summer than Dallas?

The answer to that question is the reason this trade was made ... but given the demands of the WNBA season, it doesn't seem like Liz will be spending a lot of time on the Strip, and it's not like Dallas doesn't have anything going on.

PostPosted: 05/17/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Aces:A+
Wings: F

Agree. This is a F for the Wings, big time. They waited too damn long to make a move with her, and got swindled by Bill. They will be lucky to fill the gym with 4,000 a game this summer. You need STARS to sell tix.

dab44lb

PostPosted: 05/17/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Trader Bill Strikes Again!!!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: