RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And meanwhile, what's going on at E. KY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:37 pm    ::: And meanwhile, what's going on at E. KY? Reply Reply with quote

While perusing the transfer list on Raoul's blog, I note that *7* players are transferring out of Eastern Kentucky. (One has landed at Purdue Ft. Wayne) I don't see any coaching changes on the list other than one AC position that has been open since March. Anyone know what gives?

PostPosted: 05/11/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EKU was the first coaching hire of the off-season. They hired Sam Williams, AC from Louisville

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/12/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
EKU was the first coaching hire of the off-season. They hired Sam Williams, AC from Louisville

So Sam Williams is the new HC and 7 players are transferring out. Wow.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what you're smoking or what your sources are, but I just looked at Raoul's blog and saw nothing of the sort. I even searched! Also, 4 players graduated so that left 10 eligible players from last season to return. 6 are currently listed on the 2019-20 roster..soo???

Davis4632

PostPosted: 05/13/19 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I don't know what you're smoking or what your sources are, but I just looked at Raoul's blog and saw nothing of the sort. I even searched! Also, 4 players graduated so that left 10 eligible players from last season to return. 6 are currently listed on the 2019-20 roster..soo???

https://wbbblog.com/2018/10/28/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-winter-2018-19/3/

That looks like 7 players transferring from EKU to me. I'm not use to you making anything other than a pro UConn or an anti-ND or Tenn post.

Last edited by Davis4632 on 05/13/19 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
uconnfan1

PostPosted: 05/13/19 6:34 am    ::: Re: And meanwhile, what's going on at E. KY? Reply Reply with quote

What's in the water at Eastern Kentucky must also be in the water at Northern Kentucky as they have 4 players transferring. Smile

Davis4632

PostPosted: 05/13/19 9:01 am    ::: Re: And meanwhile, what's going on at E. KY? Reply Reply with quote

uconnfan1 wrote:
What's in the water at Eastern Kentucky must also be in the water at Northern Kentucky as they have 4 players transferring. Smile

And Murray St. (Which is also in the state of Kentucky) has 5 players transferring.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/13/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm usually not one to make political posts here but maybe they're running away from Mitch McConnell? Very Happy

I noticed there were a couple of centers in the bunch. JMU needs centers so I'm sure Coach O is looking at their video....

PostPosted: 05/13/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are 4 sides to every story...Complainers, Defenders, What the Media WANTS you to believe and the truth. We see 1 and 3...let's try to find 2 and 4.

Let's hope none of you who are jumping to conclusions and bad mouthing this coach do not have any of us do that to you at your place of employment and out in the public arena...just because you can post without anyone finding out who you are does not mean you should!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/13/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked at the E Kentucky stats from last season. The four returning starters are not among the transfers. It would be interesting to know what is happening, but I wonder if some (if not all) of the transfers were told their scholarships would not be renewed.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/13/19 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
There are 4 sides to every story...Complainers, Defenders, What the Media WANTS you to believe and the truth. We see 1 and 3...let's try to find 2 and 4.

Let's hope none of you who are jumping to conclusions and bad mouthing this coach do not have any of us do that to you at your place of employment and out in the public arena...just because you can post without anyone finding out who you are does not mean you should!

"What the Media WANTS you to believe ..."

Obviously, that's a trigger for me ...

Why would the "Media" (with a capital letter) care what you believe? Your belief does not affect their bottom line in any way, if that's the assumed reason for Media manipulation.

And if it's not the bottom line, then what is the motive of this apparently monolithic Media?

Though many doubt it, often the Media's main motivation is to publish the facts as far as they can determine them, and then let the readers decide.

The "Media" certainly does not care about UConn women's basketball, or the coaches at Eastern Kentucky, or who makes the McDonald's team.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

Ummm....I didn't see anyone 'bad mouthing' this coach at all, in this thread. Shocked

ClayK wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

"What the Media WANTS you to believe ..."

Obviously, that's a trigger for me ...

Why would the "Media" (with a capital letter) care what you believe? Your belief does not affect their bottom line in any way, if that's the assumed reason for Media manipulation.

And if it's not the bottom line, then what is the motive of this apparently monolithic Media?

Though many doubt it, often the Media's main motivation is to publish the facts as far as they can determine them, and then let the readers decide.

The "Media" certainly does not care about UConn women's basketball, or the coaches at Eastern Kentucky, or who makes the McDonald's team.

Good points. ('cept I'm not certain what you mean by 'certainly does not care' about UConn....you KNOW they are all Geno's minions! Wink)

Unfortunately we're living in an age of mistrust, generated by asshole politicians who WANT us to mistrust all media. And yes, this isn't necessarily relegated to the domain of politicians: schools/admins can TRY to be manipulative when it comes to Good Press/Bad Press. However, coverage for a 'small' story like this one are limited, so it's fair to say that we're not getting a complete pic, YET. I think that's all STBlues was positing.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually when a new coach comes in, you'll get a few players, 3 or 4 maybe at most, who decide this isn't a good fit and they are leaving. Well and good. That gives the coach a chance to restock with recruits and/or transfers of their choosing. You don't usually get a wholesale departure such as this, which is what made me wonder. I was certainly not "bad mouthing" the coach, who I don't know from Adam's off ox, FFS, let alone jumping to conclusions, so maybe snz should sit on his/her hands for a few....unless they consider asking a question to be jumping to conclusions.

I can think of a couple of times recently where there were some situations which looked very bad. Was it NC A&T where the new coach essentially "fired" almost the entire team by yanking their scholarships a year or two ago? She (or he, I forget now which it was) ended up backing off of that after the administration got involved but a few of the players transferred anyway. And Nikki McCray was left with barely a shell of a team after Karen Barefoot was fired and took much of the team with her and all but maybe one of the recruits rescinded their NLIs, some apparently without even talking to her, which I consider rude but is probably legal.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Usually when a new coach comes in, you'll get a few players, 3 or 4 maybe at most, who decide this isn't a good fit and they are leaving. Well and good. That gives the coach a chance to restock with recruits and/or transfers of their choosing. You don't usually get a wholesale departure such as this, which is what made me wonder. I was certainly not "bad mouthing" the coach, who I don't know from Adam's off ox, FFS, let alone jumping to conclusions, so maybe snz should sit on his/her hands for a few....unless they consider asking a question to be jumping to conclusions.

I can think of a couple of times recently where there were some situations which looked very bad. Was it NC A&T where the new coach essentially "fired" almost the entire team by yanking their scholarships a year or two ago? She (or he, I forget now which it was) ended up backing off of that after the administration got involved but a few of the players transferred anyway. And Nikki McCray was left with barely a shell of a team after Karen Barefoot was fired and took much of the team with her and all but maybe one of the recruits rescinded their NLIs, some apparently without even talking to her, which I consider rude but is probably legal.

That was Trisha Stafford -Odom of North Carolina Central who didn't renew multiple scholarship s when she became head coach. She was also and AC at Dook and UNC. She was the one who recruited that Diamond DeShields Fab 4 class at UNC that eventually transferred out.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/13/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

That was Trisha Stafford -Odom of North Carolina Central who didn't renew multiple scholarship s when she became head coach. She was also and AC at Dook and UNC. She was the one who recruited that Diamond DeShields Fab 4 class at UNC that eventually transferred out.

Thanks, I knew it was NC-something but couldn't remember what. I guess NC A&T stuck in my head because JMU played them in the WNIT. Thanks for clearing that up. Smile

PostPosted: 05/14/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Good points. ('cept I'm not certain what you mean by 'certainly does not care' about UConn....you KNOW they are all Geno's minions! Wink)

Unfortunately we're living in an age of mistrust, generated by asshole politicians who WANT us to mistrust all media. And yes, this isn't necessarily relegated to the domain of politicians: schools/admins can TRY to be manipulative when it comes to Good Press/Bad Press. However, coverage for a 'small' story like this one are limited, so it's fair to say that we're not getting a complete pic, YET. I think that's all STBlues was positing.[/quote]

I can remember a time when it wasn't just often that the medias motivation was to publish the facts. It was generally almost all of the time. It is also somewhat patronizing to assume that everyones opinions about mistrusting the media is influenced by A-hole politicians. Not only patronizing but also potentially agenda motivated.

Since this is on a sports subject and thread, lets just stick with that sports perspective. One has to be livng under a rock to not be aware of the countless sports-related stories geared less to facts and more to creating controversial headlines to sell papers or get clicks. The media in all area's has started to model itself after the "Enquirer" type rags you see on store check out lanes. The recent article on NC basketball by ESPN journalist Voepel is just a mild example of that. All you have to do is read the articles writen in the Bay Area about the 49ers to recognize journalists intent to create controvesy where none really exists. They do not really care about promoting the perspectives they write about as is often the case in politics. Usually, it is just to promote their own careers via stirring up interest via controversial headlines.

I reserve the right to judge for myself if an article is factual or not. In the present age of a media motivated by sensationalism, it is best to keep ones BS meter in good working order. The previous posters cautionary reminder is appropriate rather than something to get all worked up about.

PostPosted: 05/14/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Howee wrote:

Unfortunately we're living in an age of mistrust, generated by asshole politicians who WANT us to mistrust all media. And yes, this isn't necessarily relegated to the domain of politicians: schools/admins can TRY to be manipulative when it comes to Good Press/Bad Press. However, coverage for a 'small' story like this one are limited, so it's fair to say that we're not getting a complete pic, YET. I think that's all STBlues was positing.

Quote:
I can remember a time when it wasn't just often that the medias motivation was to publish the facts. It was generally almost all of the time. It is also somewhat patronizing to assume that everyones opinions about mistrusting the media is influenced by A-hole politicians. Not only patronizing but also potentially agenda motivated.

Since this is on a sports subject and thread, lets just stick with that sports perspective. One has to be livng under a rock to not be aware of the countless sports-related stories geared less to facts and more to creating controversial headlines to sell papers or get clicks. The media in all area's has started to model itself after the "Enquirer" type rags you see on store check out lanes. The recent article on NC basketball by ESPN journalist Voepel is just a mild example of that. All you have to do is read the articles writen in the Bay Area about the 49ers to recognize journalists intent to create controvesy where none really exists. They do not really care about promoting the perspectives they write about as is often the case in politics. Usually, it is just to promote their own careers via stirring up interest via controversial headlines.

I reserve the right to judge for myself if an article is factual or not. In the present age of a media motivated by sensationalism, it is best to keep ones BS meter in good working order. The previous posters cautionary reminder is appropriate rather than something to get all worked up about.

Excellent points ... I agree that journalists and media do need clicks and readers, and some will attempt to draw both by creating controversy. The BS meter should always be on.

But that's different than having an agenda about "wanting" readers to believe something. Those journalists and media types in sports who generate controversy to attract readers don't have any agenda beyond generating controversy. There's no grand conspiracy to get the sporting public to hate Geno Auriemma, say -- but if hating on Geno gets attention, then some will hate on Geno.

Overall, though, I do believe most journalists do want to find the truth and tell the real story, two tasks that are much harder than they appear to be.

PostPosted: 05/14/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of 'misleading'.....Shocked

*I* didn't write what you've attributed to me below: (that was Clay) .....and YOU'VE taken credit for MY words....Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

willtalk wrote:
Howee wrote:

(....and THIS comes through as MY writing, and it's NOT....Shocked Razz)

I reserve the right to judge for myself if an article is factual or not. In the present age of a media motivated by sensationalism, it is best to keep ones BS meter in good working order. The previous posters cautionary reminder is appropriate rather than something to get all worked up about.[/quote]

[I'm in the Twilight Zone of Rebs.... Cool ]

PostPosted: 05/14/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry ... I was just trying to clean up the end quote issue.

PostPosted: 05/14/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, despite misplaced "quotes", I still get the gist of it all....yes, there ARE less-than-subjective moments even in sports journalism. I DO still believe that the Eastern KY mess hasn't been affected by any yellow journalism. I thought the OP was just making simple inquiry as to whether or not anyone knew anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: