RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cappie calls it quits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/27/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Silky Johnson, if you are "overly emotionally charged," then surely I am as well. I'm proud to stand with you and others--on Rebkell and elsewhere-- who get accused of being "overly emotionally charged" for speaking out strongly against callousness and bigotry.

jap

PostPosted: 04/27/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
jap wrote:
I have employed the user name "jap" or some version of it on various message boards from since before and after the Internet was ever established. Before the Internet there were the worldwide Usenet boards, which began as an outgrowth of the Pentagon's DARPA program. Computer science majors like myself used Usenet extensively. I have employed "jap" or some version of it on boards for sports, photography, religion, computer science, and a few other boards for decades. I have had only a few people (ie, less than 5) ever challenge my use of a user name, and, when challenged, it was always done in an overly emotionally charged manner...

Do I strike you as "overly emotionally charged"?

I was referring to the earlier comments. As far as what YOU and others are concerned with, I honestly do not really care. I believe the reason I have received such relatively minute flak is because people were much more concerned about the content of my posts than my user name. Many of you employ wild user names compared to myself. I have always been conservative in my choice of user names, using my initials or a personal nickname. If you want to accuse me as a racist or bigot for using my own initials as my user name, go knock yourself out: I could honestly care less - especially given the type of insensitive nonsense I have been called in the past AND present.

This board is mostly a part-time lark for me. I tune in just before a new season starts and disappear soon after a season finishes. This is very unlike my favorite sport, NFL football, or some my favorite interests (eg, photography) where I am locked in all year long and where I am a much more rabid contributor.. I tend to joke around on this board 99% of the time.

Quote:
The vast majority of posters never seemed to mind my usage of my user name; so your assumption that it would be rejected by most Internet groups is seriously in error.

In the first place, what do "most Internet groups" have to do with rebkell? I don't think that "most Internet groups" are as intersectional as this place is. And I've found that most spaces that are considered inclusive to LGBTQ tend to less tolerant of things that are offensive to other marginalized minorities, so it surprises me that something like this would be an exception.

In the second place, contrary to what 4Chan and Twitter may have one believe, I have found that the "vast majority" of people on the internet are conflict-averse, so unless something was especially triggering to someone personally, most seem willing to look the other way when it comes to uncomfortable things. You may feel things are better that way; I'd rather they weren't, in general. If only because, if something or someone on the internet is harmful to me, I am unlikely to be in a position to make it/them stop, so I certainly hope that people who are not affected by it personally, as I would be, but might be in a position to influence the people who can make it/them stop, would be willing to speak up on my behalf.

And, in the third place, in my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, online communities dedicated to sports, religion and computer science tend not to be inclusive enough to people whom might be offended by such a user name. I mean, I don't know anything about photography, so I'll have to take your word on however they get down but, as to the rest, to me that comes across the same as if you'd said, "Hey, I post on /pol/ all the time, and I've never heard anybody complain about me calling Black people n*****s! I don't see what the big deal is?"

Quote:
Compared to most of the other sports forums, the people on this forum are especially touchy...

As previously mentioned, it should come as no surprise that a message board that features a large percentage of openly LGBTQ persons would be less tolerant of verbiage that is offensive to other marginalized groups. Or, "touchy," if you prefer. But the idea that this message board would be more intersectional than the average sports forum should hardly be something to find unusual.

EDIT - Also, FWIW, I'm pretty sure that World War II preceded the formation of DARPA, so it was already a slur then, too. As far as using USENET extensively, based on my (again, admittedly anecdotal) experience, and given whom USENET was overwhelmingly populated by, it's not all that surprising that you wouldn't have received any significant pushback in those days.[/quote][/quote]

The groups I referred to were extremely touchy about plenty of issues but user names---at least MY user name---was clearly not a particularly touchy issue. I suppose that is why it stood out to me the few times when someone decided to try to take me over the coals, so to speak, over a mere user name when my own past posts should have already established that I was none of the things that someone chose to assume I was.

If any of you choose to assume I am racially biased against the Japanese due to my user name, go knock yourself out---I could care less. It seems to me that many of you on this particular forum seem to hunt for things to be offended about. Given some of the comments and responses here, I can easily see a number of posters here getting kicked out of most of my current & past boards.

There has been a trend in recent decades for people to be 'politically correct' at all times. It is a trend I have not been very enthused with since it often leads to ridiculous extremes. Short people prefer to be call "vertically challenged"; housewives would rather be referred to as "domestic engineers".

I think there is a quite a difference between someone using a user name called "jap" to refer to him|herself as opposed to someone actually calling a Japanese person "jap." To have someone jump all over me and making ridiculous, insulting, uncalled for inferences about my character because they CHOOSE to read way too much into the reason I chose a user name is far, far more offensive than anything I have actually done. If you and others choose to get bent out of shape by my usage, go knock yourself out.

PostPosted: 05/12/19 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie on a podcast that’s also on video called ironically enough called Knuckleheads. Haven’t had time to watch the whole thing, but this seems like good stuff.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3kn6nVx5glE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Chip

PostPosted: 05/12/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore 6'3

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/12/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To start off, I will say that I am a liberal who believes that one should try to be politically correct as often as possible, because 99% of the time, it just amounts to basic human decency.

But wow, Jap as a slur? I play military strategy games a lot, and often you play different nationalities. So sometimes you're the Japanese, and you say "I've got the Japs," or you're British and you say "I've got the Brits." There has never been any malice whatsoever when I use those terms; I view them as one syllable abbreviations, not slurs. While it is true that abbreviations can become slurs in our regular dialect, I never think of Jap as being a slur unless it is clear from the context that it was intended to be one.

In my opinion, there are plenty of worse terms that are far more racist and far more hateful to call people from Japan. Maybe I'm way off base for thinking so, but I consider "Jap" to be very mild.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/12/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was not calling the people Japs that got the board upset
go back and read before you post !

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/12/19 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Counterpoint: Rebkell is an English-language message board, based (TTBOMK) in the United States. And, in US English, "Jap" is a racial slur, so "J.A.P. happen to be my initials" strikes me as extremely flimsy, and I am also surprised that you've been allowed to get away with it. I mean, If your initials happened to be W.O.P., I doubt that you'd be allowed to skate on "They're my initials," and I'm positive that you wouldn't be allowed to get away with it on this message board, if your initials happened to spell out F.A.G.

Quote:
Kansas Recalls License Plates Offensive to Japanese-Americans
Nov. 30, 2018

Mr. Kawamoto is a third-generation Japanese-American whose parents were among 117,000 people of Japanese descent declared enemy aliens by the United States government and forced into internment camps after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The word “Jap” was used frequently to taunt Japanese-Americans with hate and bigotry in his childhood.

The license plate on the Nissan sedan was not a vanity plate, nor were the 730 others bearing the same three letters. They were generated by the state, which uses three letters and three numbers, ordered sequentially, to identify vehicles.

Rick Kretschmer, a license plate aficionado who runs a historical information site, said every state had a list of banned words, which include obscene words, ethnic slurs and drug or sexual references.

“People request them all the time to see what they can get away with,” he said.

And in the 1990s, California recalled plates with any combination of “dago” and “wop,” terms that stung some in the Italian-American community, but were a source of pride for some.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/kansas-license-plate-recall.html

Colorado’s banned license plate phrases

#66: FAG
#116: JAP
#247: WOP

https://www.denverpost.com/2009/04/08/colorados-banned-license-plate-phrases-2009/

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/12/19 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Lib Fan, Admiral Needa, and Silky Johnson

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/13/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my, people are still on ”that” subject.. Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 03/05/20 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie Pondexter on playing for New York Liberty: “One of My Fondest Basketball Memories”

https://doublegsports.com/cappie-pondexter-on-playing-for-new-york-liberty-one-of-my-fondest-basketball-memories/?fbclid=IwAR0lg_zmGd77QN-WcrDn5XGevbccDb_F5sit8NOMoSqgGxrXH0ZSLKMDMZ0

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: