Los Angeles Sparks 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtalk

PostPosted: 05/06/19 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I am not a Sparks fan, but it certainly does make sense to trade her and Vegas has a bunch of semi-serviceable posts so I would think she would be better than most of them.

She does have some value, just not that much for the Sparks. She got her extension via her 6th man of the year season in which she shot a lot of three'. Problem is that she takes a long stride on each shot and now usually ends up hitting really long two's. She did end up playing relatively well in the post when it seemed that she would lose minutes to Vadeeva. The problem in respect to the Sparks is that she is the poor mans version of Parker. Actually more like an abject poverty stricken version and she is not worth the cap cost to them. She might be worth it to some other team if they see her as a major contributor.

She is definitely good enough to play for a lot of teams, but the question is if she is worth her contract.

For a team like the aces I would say yes. I think she would do well alongside Wilson but not at the cost of Jefferson...Now, Allen in the other hand

If you’re not sold in Brown(I for one am.. ) then Brown for Allen? Keep Jantel? I prefer the former scenario, plus I think Jantel deserves a legit shot somewhere to actually play a little more.
Lavender can play the post when she wants to, but prefers to play on the perimiter. The problem is that her shooting dropped considerably last season. Vadeeva is actually better or if not better close enough in talent to not justify Lavenders max contract. All things being equal you want to have as many roookie salaries on your team as possible. I think they would rather keep Brown than Lavender for that reason alone. Brown also is a more traditional post.

PostPosted: 05/06/19 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With less than 3 weeks till the season opener, I cannot believe that LA is going to war with this backcourt. Gray is the only outside shooter, but maybe just as important, she is the only playmaker on the team. I just do not see Weise as a candidate for those roles, and just mentioning Maybrey as a possibility (she cannot guard anyone) highlights the weak perimeter. I guess some might pencil in Parker to pick up the slack, but she is the best big on the team, and keeping her away from the basket will make opponents happy. LA should go after Epiph Prince.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/07/19 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodwin probably makes the team by default as the only other PG in the bunch

Gray/Goodwin
Beard/A. Jones
Parker/TRP/Samuelson or Weise
N. Ogwumike/Lavender
C. Ogwumike/Vadeeva/Brown

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/07/19 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams sometimes just give players a break, or there can be visa issues with foreign players, but if Vadeeva was coming for camp at all there doesn't seem to be much reason she wouldn't be in LA already. Russia's season ended nearly two weeks ago now. Which makes me wonder if she's not going to show up until after EuroBasket Women (assuming she's coming at all, as they implied by putting her on the training camp list). Could make it another difficult season for her considering all the posts who'll already be fighting for minutes even before she arrives.

PostPosted: 05/07/19 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Masha will be here. Plus Jones will play back up, she played PG in college and back up at the Lynx.

PostPosted: 05/07/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope that Coach Fisher doesn't run into some of the same problems that Cooper Part 2 ran into, specifically trying to go big too often. I still remember that Quinn-DMJ-Parker-Thompson-Leslie lineup. Yes, we were big on offense and could exploit mismatches, but we got owned on defense because our bigs couldn't keep up with smaller guards.

I am hoping the versatility of Nneka can help with that. On defense, I assume Parker will guard the 4 and Chiney the 5, and Nneka the 3. We just gotta remind Candace to help Chiney rebound since Nneka will likely have less rebounds guarding out on the perimeter.

I am getting excited for the season. Interested to see how Coach Fisher does and how the Sparks frontline looks together.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/07/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, a couple of years ago when they went big more often it was definitely Nneka that had to be flexible on defense to make it work. She was the one guarding everyone from Griner to Taurasi so that Parker could sit in her usual comfort zone and not have to chase anyone around. It's a pretty thankless task for Nneka.

It's a pretty damn unbalanced roster. Maybe they literally can't give Lavender away, but I'd happily dump her for virtually any rotation wing who can approach league-average from three-point range. Hell, I'd probably swap her straight up for a punt on Kaela Davis. When you've got Parker/Nneka/Chiney, and youngsters who need minutes in Brown and (hopefully) Vadeeva, and even that phantom presence of Cambage on top, there's no need for yet more veteran post depth getting in the way.

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Training camp/minimum contracts do not count against the cap until season starts and they make team.

PostPosted: 05/08/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Gray highlights from today’s game.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1126196418220310528/pu/vid/1280x702/Uc0oe-9Ow74zul3q.mp4

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/08/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Shades,way to go Chels.

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

*Training camp/minimum contracts do not count against the cap until season starts and they make team.

Gray is not listed?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/08/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Gray is not listed?

Same as with Charles, Durr, Samuelson, McCowan etc on the other images, its a graphic of a spreadsheet page from when it was last updated, which was before they all signed.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Gray is not listed?

Same as with Charles, Durr, Samuelson, McCowan etc on the other images, its a graphic of a spreadsheet page from when it was last updated, which was before they all signed.

Aw oke thanks

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A peak inside of Sparks camp
https://www.wnbainsidr.com/insidr/los-angeles-sparks-seeking-wnba-championship-with-all-star-roster-new-coach-derek-fisher

jap

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
A peak inside of Sparks camp
https://www.wnbainsidr.com/insidr/los-angeles-sparks-seeking-wnba-championship-with-all-star-roster-new-coach-derek-fisher

Thank you so very much for this, WfanFrlJmp.

PostPosted: 05/12/19 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sparks’ Candace Parker suffers hamstring injury, leaves preseason game early

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/05/12/sparks-candace-parker-suffers-hamstring-injury-leaves-preseason-game-early/

jap

PostPosted: 05/12/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/05/12/sparks-candace-parker-suffers-hamstring-injury-leaves-preseason-game-early/

Candace is hurt? OMG!!! The world is coming to an end! Razz

I wonder if she gave herself sufficient warmup time. Jammies often occur with muscles still too 'cold.' At least the backup posts got more work than they may have bargained for.

PostPosted: 05/12/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
stever wrote:
Quote:

Candace is hurt? OMG!!! The world is coming to an end! Razz

I wonder if she gave herself sufficient warmup time. Jammies often occur with muscles still too 'cold.' At least the backup posts got more work than they may have bargained for.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. Folks who were there said when she came back out, she didn't have ice, a wrap or anything. She sat normally, stretching a bit.

Btw, you're welcome about the article. There wasn't much out there about LA's camp, so it was good to see that write up.

stever

PostPosted: 05/13/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks waive Goodwin & Green.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Sparks waive Goodwin & Green.

Ouch!

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/19 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dillard needs to beat out Mabrey & Wiese for that last spot. I think she has the skills to do so and glad she's getting another shot.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/13/19 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well all 3 of them are lousy defensively Laughing

PostPosted: 05/13/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see all the hype for Dillard, and I was surprised at how well Mabrey played on offense at least. Weise has been mediocre at best. Dillard is probably more of a PG than the other two though...

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 25 of 32

Jump to: