RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

China @ Liberty - 5/09/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25256



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
AWT could always rebound, but that's pretty much all she does. If you're looking for a one-dimensional rebounder, Krystal Thomas is the better player. She's bigger and has twice finished in the WNBA top ten in rebounding when given starter-ish minutes. Just two seasons ago, Krystal was third in the league with 9.6 rpg. It puzzles me that she's unemployed.


agree. I was wondering about that too. I thought she did a decent job two years ago so for a team who just needs rebounding and a little banging, it's surprising she's not at least a bench player somewhere.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1382
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Krystal Thomas was horrendously bad whenever she stepped on the floor last season. I have no idea why but she was.


thardy929



Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 11
Location: Brooklyn, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belated: I had a blast at the game last night, as did the crew I recruited to join me as new Liberty fans. I really hope the team makes a permanent transition to Barclays in 2020. The Timeless Torches' commitment to being wherever this team goes continues to amaze me. They are the real stars.

Han was so fun to watch, even if she'll struggle against bigger and stronger players in the league. There was quite a buzz about her in my section, in a way I certainly never felt about the team in my few games last year in Westchester.

As others have noted, Durr looked nervous but I think she'll settle in, and Nurse looks improved. Cuevas-Moore made good things happen and Farris/Morgan did not. My hope is that if nothing else, this game is a decent sign that this team will at least be more fun to watch than last year's.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5111
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Krystal Thomas was horrendously bad whenever she stepped on the floor last season. I have no idea why but she was.


It seems like Washington went smaller and quicker last year. I assume Thibault tweaked his systems accordingly. Thomas has slow feet, so she was probably a bad fit. I remember watching a FIBA game last year where some Euro post player who I had never heard of kept putting the ball on the floor and driving past Krystal. This player scored like 25 points in that game, which I think was a career high. Thomas is probably good if you need a banger in the half-court. She'll struggle where quickness is required.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19881



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics without Sanders last season wouldn't have made it to the Finals. Thomas took a big step backwards last season which is why she's unemployed this summer. She became the 5th post for them, eventually losing minutes to Hines-Allen.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5111
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The Mystics without Sanders last season wouldn't have made it to the Finals. Thomas took a big step backwards last season which is why she's unemployed this summer. She became the 5th post for them, eventually losing minutes to Hines-Allen.


Yeah, we know that. The question is what caused the step backward? The usual reasons are injury, age, change in role or change in style of play. Except for age, the other three conditions can be rectified.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19881



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forgot to post this last night, but at the game they were selling Han t-shirts but nothing with Durr's name on it. The marketing push is clearly behind Han.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4360
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The feeling and vibes of being at the Barclay Center last night were amazing !

This is were the New York Liberty belong

What other fans attending the game last night think?
We MUST play there in 2020

Its going to be hard to go back to WCC after being at Barclays



_________________
Lets Go Liberty
To Brooklyn 2020 !
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19881



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the majority of our games in 2020 will be played there. If Tsai buys the Barclays by 2021, we'll have all of our games there by 2021.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4360
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think the majority of our games in 2020 will be played there. If Tsai buys the Barclays by 2021, we'll have all of our games there by 2021.


Majority is NOT good enough
Liberty STH's have gone thru S*it in years past
playing in New Jersey and now WCC
we need a commitment from the team ...
I have gone to Newark and Westchester
NO WAY I am going to Nassau Col !



_________________
Lets Go Liberty
To Brooklyn 2020 !
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19881



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I think the majority of our games in 2020 will be played there. If Tsai buys the Barclays by 2021, we'll have all of our games there by 2021.


Majority is NOT good enough
Liberty STH's have gone thru S*it in years past
playing in New Jersey and now WCC
we need a commitment from the team ...
I have gone to Newark and Westchester
NO WAY I am going to Nassau Col !


Even if it's only 13 out of 17 games, I'll be satisfied. Baby steps.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1382
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The Mystics without Sanders last season wouldn't have made it to the Finals. Thomas took a big step backwards last season which is why she's unemployed this summer. She became the 5th post for them, eventually losing minutes to Hines-Allen.


Yeah, we know that. The question is what caused the step backward? The usual reasons are injury, age, change in role or change in style of play. Except for age, the other three conditions can be rectified.

Thomas was in the starting lineup at the beginning of last season, alongside Currie and TRP. She was the only one of them to fall completely out of the rotation while being the only true center on the team. Maybe 2017 was just a fluke? It's really her only good season.

I doubt her role had anything to do with it. Rebounding was the team's biggest weakness and if she could help with that Thibault would have found minutes for her. I don't think inability to switch onto perimeter players was the whole issue, Hawkins played even though she was overmatched in every aspect of defense.


NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 13064



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
The feeling and vibes of being at the Barclay Center last night were amazing !

This is were the New York Liberty belong

What other fans attending the game last night think?
We MUST play there in 2020

Its going to be hard to go back to WCC after being at Barclays


Enjoyed it. Beautiful building for hoops. The young players also have an infectious enthusiasm. I thought the organization did a nice job with the little things too. I’d like to see Durr promoted more but otherwise no complaints. Barclays is probably a better venue than MSG from a basketball viewing experience (sightlines, etc.) Nothing can replace MSG obviously but Barclays is a first-class basketball facility.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5111
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Thomas was in the starting lineup at the beginning of last season, alongside Currie and TRP. She was the only one of them to fall completely out of the rotation while being the only true center on the team. Maybe 2017 was just a fluke? It's really her only good season.

I doubt her role had anything to do with it. Rebounding was the team's biggest weakness and if she could help with that Thibault would have found minutes for her. I don't think inability to switch onto perimeter players was the whole issue, Hawkins played even though she was overmatched in every aspect of defense.


Something must have happened. Maybe Thomas kicked Thibault's dog. Wink

During the Phoenix tank year of 2012, Thomas was fifth in the league in rebounding at 8.0 rpg. After the Mercury drafted Griner, there was no need for Krystal and she drifted around as a marginal backup. She sat out 2015 and coached at Grand Canyon College if I recall correctly. Not sure if that was due to injury or lack of interest by teams. Then, Thomas caught on with Seattle in 2016 before having the career season with Washington in 2017. History indicates that she can rebound. However, Krystal must be doing some other bad things to offset the benefit she provides on the boards.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4360
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in the day at MSG we used to play good bye
songs when a opposing player fouled out
"Hit the Road Jack" "Happy Trails to You"
and all the fans would sing along.

It would have been a nice touch if they played it at
Barclays Center when there were two fouls outs
on the Chinese National Team



_________________
Lets Go Liberty
To Brooklyn 2020 !
gpark33



Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 5079



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
The feeling and vibes of being at the Barclay Center last night were amazing !

This is were the New York Liberty belong

What other fans attending the game last night think?
We MUST play there in 2020

Its going to be hard to go back to WCC after being at Barclays


Enjoyed it. Beautiful building for hoops. The young players also have an infectious enthusiasm. I thought the organization did a nice job with the little things too. I’d like to see Durr promoted more but otherwise no complaints. Barclays is probably a better venue than MSG from a basketball viewing experience (sightlines, etc.) Nothing can replace MSG obviously but Barclays is a first-class basketball facility.


Very much enjoyed being there.

Han was fun to watch. That kid was straight up having a really good time and her energy was infectious.

Tina's hook shot is a thing of beauty.

I was pleased they had many of the concessions open and found a taco stand with out of this world roast pork!

The Resorts Casino stand was fun. They had roulette and blackjack tables setup for free play that resulted in free rum drinks. Nice touch.



_________________
The teacher and the student.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5111
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Back in the day at MSG we used to play good bye
songs when a opposing player fouled out
"Hit the Road Jack" "Happy Trails to You"
and all the fans would sing along.

It would have been a nice touch if they played it at
Barclays Center when there were two fouls outs
on the Chinese National Team


Maybe in a WNBA game, but diplomacy was part of the goal here. This was what is known overseas as a "friendly." It was an exhibition game meant to benefit both sides. In addition, the event was intended to foster a better relationship between the two countries. That's why a Chinese ambassador addressed the crowd before the game. On television, we saw clearly that Li Yueru bowed to the crowd as she left. Maybe some other Chinese players did too even though the announcers only highlighted Han on the Liberty side. Playing mocking songs would have been totally inappropriate under the circumstances.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4360
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/19 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes you are right and was expecting a replay like that
after clicking the submit button ...
I meant no disrespect

I do remember Dave Cowan the coach of the Chicago Sky
getting two T's in a game and how the Liberty fans loved
singing "Hit the Road Jack" and how he hated it...
Also loved when Lisa Leslie would foul out in a game to the
delight of us Liberty fans



_________________
Lets Go Liberty
To Brooklyn 2020 !
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52134



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/12/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z5-3Ovq5WhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin