RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rebkell Fantasy Basketball League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad Admiral Needa got his pick in.

I will select Stephanie Talbot, F, PHOE with my final pick.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

good pick, we were definitely considering her. Interesting she's now an F after starting at SG before.

- Amanda Gorman
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

good pick, we were definitely considering her. Interesting she's now an F after starting at SG before.

The people here at RebKell who like to project starting lineups seem to consider her a small forward.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

The people here at RebKell who like to project starting lineups seem to consider her a small forward.

She’s always been.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/08/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

She’s always been.

+1

PostPosted: 05/08/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are only 3 picks left. I think we are going to be finished very soon.

So, if the final 3 picks are made before 5 PM EDT (GMT - 4) tomorrow (Thursday), first waiver wire pickup will be at 6 PM tomorrow. Teams may put in a claim for a player before 6 PM (saying who they will drop as well). All situations where more than one team has claimed a player will be resolved randomly at 6 PM.

I don't expect a lot of people to need this waiver wire, but if you're one of those people and don't like the idea of it being at 6 PM please say so!

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/08/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

roster from last year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Phoenix_Mercury_season

and I know when I had her in fantasy two years ago, she was also listed as a G. I would have liked it if she had been a GF

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AUS’s have her as a SF
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2018/player/Steph-Talbot

She kinda reminds me of Taurasi (without as deadly a three point shot), so very guard-like.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I select Lexi Brown, G, Minnesota.

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the 99th pick of the fantasy draft j-spoon selects

Kaela Davis g/f Dallas Wings

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the final pick, Mojo signs Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, GF Los Angeles

- Amanda Gorman
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/09/19 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With the final pick, Mojo signs Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, GF Los Angeles

That's who I was going to pick if Admiral Needa had selected Stephanie Talbot. So we were basically thinking the same players for our last pick.

And that completes the 2019 RebKell Fantasy Basketball League draft!

It took 17 days to complete, and I'd like to thank everybody for doing such a great job of paying attention, and knowing when it was their pick. There has been some quibbling over the rules, but we've stocked everybody's team with players, and now we're going to have some fun with those teams.

The post-draft waiver procedure happens at 6 PM EDT (GMT - 4) today (Thursday). After that, there is free add/drop until the season begins (24 hour waiver period on dropped players still applies). Let me know if there are any questions about this.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/09/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, this is the post where I'm going to respond to some of the criticism.

I'll start out by saying that I have spent my entire life running tournaments and leagues for various games and sports, and thinking about how to run these tournaments and leagues. I have always been learning, listening to people, and improving, and yes, I sometimes think outside the box. I think that I have come up with some good ideas that have helped my leagues be successful.

Not every fantasy league is the same; all the fantasy football leagues I know do at least one, and usually several, things differently. Every league commissioner has the way he likes to do things and thinks at least a little outside the box. The only thing I've done in this league that is truly outside the box is the mid-draft expansion.

I'm going to use mojo's post because he touched on most of the issues in question, and he did so politely.

mojo wrote:
I spoke out that we started the draft way too early but NYSports chose another line of reasoning.

I did. And considering that we finished two weeks before the start of the season, perhaps you were right. But you did say "I think 7 - 9 days should be sufficient time to complete a draft," and that wasn't exactly right either.

I really didn't know what I was dealing with when I started the league. When I asked for feedback, the results were lukewarm at best. I didn't know who would be enthusiastic and who would be apathetic. Attempts to schedule a few concentrated meeting times just didn't seem to gain enough traction for me to think they would work. Also, there were people who were OK with starting early, and a few who actually recommended it.

I was worried that if we didn't choose to start immediately, then there was a very good chance the WNBA season would begin before we were through. And even though we really didn't need to start so soon, how much closer would you have cut it? Anything more than a week and I would have been stressing the whole time worried about when people were making their picks. This way, the whole draft was a pleasure to run. I didn't have to put pressure on anyone to pick faster beyond pointing out the 24 hour limit. And no one was forced to miss a pick.

mojo wrote:
I brought to attention that using ESPN for player positions next year had its drawbacks for me to be able to participate because ESPN player rosters are not available for cellphones and how it could affect the draft flow, but no response from that post from other teams, so what is to be assumed?

This is something that we really don't need to be addressing right now. I am aware of your issue, and it is something that we will all consider when it comes to deciding which rosters we will use next year. So much can happen between now and then though. ESPN's site couuld become phone-compatable. You could get a device that could use the ESPN site. Another site might be found that meets everyone's requirements. ESPN's rosters might start having dual positions. And finally, there is no guarantee that I will be running a league next year, and no guarantee that you will want to play. We can talk about next year now, but it is far too soon to decide on anything definitive.

mojo wrote:
Adding teams after the draft started is the oddest rule I have ever heard of, but it happened.

Yes, this is the one example where I am thinking outside the box. Several league members have raised their eyebrows at this. But my primary goal running this is to get as many RebKell members enjoying a fantasy league as possible.

I didn't change the rules mid-draft: I've said from the start that I was going to expand if people wanted to join late, even into the season if the league was small! When I realized that people were going to be challenging me on a lot of rules, I specifically outlined how I would expand if someone wanted to join, and gave several examples. I said it was up for debate and asked for a response, and there were only two people who posted back. Erimus said "I’m happy with this.. at the end of the day it is just for fun!" Which is my approach to this league as well. And mojo said "Adding more teams after the draft has started seems to be inviting complications." I conceded that, but said I thought we could handle it. And procedurally, we did.

I'll point out that the expansion gave us an even number of players, because the schedule with 9 players was becoming a point of contention. That's a plus.

I will leave discussions on why I conducted the expansion the way I did to another post. But the bottom line is, J-Spoon's got a team, and he's playing in the league with us! With so little at stake in this league, I think that's a good thing.

mojo wrote:
NYSports and I do not see eye to eye on several things, but I will offer support that decisions will be made for betterment of the league.

Thanks, mojo; it is nice to respond to criticism when it's presented this way. I'm sorry that there have been these points of contention; hopeully our future correspondence helps to see eye to eye better.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/09/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This post, I'm going to talk about the specifics of the expansion process that allowed J-Spoon to join as the 10th team.

I'll start by saying that expansion drafts in fantasy leagues are not unheard of. Expansion in the middle of a draft is something far more unusual. But it's something I wanted to do, and so I had to come up with a system.

It is actually very good that J-Spoon joined at the time that he did. If he had done it later, there would have been some kind of expansion draft where people were protecting players and having other drafted players taken from them. That would have been procedurally difficult, and also would have left people unhappy about losing their players.

In some leagues, when an expansion occurs, the new team is often left with a slightly raw deal by design. I didn't think that was appropriate for this league: I wanted to make things as equal as possible and give J-Spoon every much the opportunity to compete as we had.

To do this, I tried to look at it both objectively and subjectively

So first, I came up with a system where I could make a case that it was objectively fair. I based it upon the same concept that makes the back and forth draft order one that is considered fair.

Consider the overall picks we took in the first two rounds of our draft before J-Spoon joined;

mojo/myrtle: 1, 18
adamj95: 2, 17
NYSports56: 3, 16
Admiral Needa: 4, 15
calbearman76: 5, 14
WNBA 09: 6, 13
toad455: 7, 12
hoopmom: 8, 11
Erimus, 9, 10

If you notice, when you add up all those numbers, each player has a total of 19. I think that is indicative of the fairness of the back and forth draft. So I tried to come up with a system that would duplicate that symmetry.

I'm not going to clutter the following up with our names, but here are the overall draft picks that each of us took in the first 4 rounds (J-Spoon is at the bottom):

1 18 23 40
2 17 24 39
3 16 25 38
4 15 26 37
5 14 27 36
6 13 28 35
7 12 29 34
8 11 30 33
9 10 31 32
19 20 21 22

When you add up all of these numbers, each player has a total of 82. I'm not saying this proves that it's fair, I'm just saying that is a reasonable try to come up with something in an objective fashion.

So now that we've come up with something, we have to think about it with common sense to see what occurs to us.

WNBA 09 wrote:
Im just going with the flow everything seems cool besides the obvious adding additional teams during. I just wish i was one of those teams so dont mind me Laughing

WNBA 09 is envying J-Spoon's draft spot. I don't see it that way.

I believe that superstars win fantasy leagues, and J-Spoon is playing with a team where every player on it is someone the rest of the league passed on twice. Is that really worth getting the jump on everyone in the 3rd and 4th round? My gut tells me it's not. I think it's very close to being fair no matter which way it actually leans, but given a choice, I'd prefer to be among the original drafters and get legitimate 1st and 2nd round picks.

The objective method says it's even and my subjective thoughts say it's a slight edge to the original drafters. That's about right to me--I don't want to reward J-Spoon for coming late, but I do want to make the penalty as small as possible. So that's why I did things the way I did.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/09/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we are at 6:00. I took time out of my day to be here. No claims. I took a lot of grief for suggesting that this was not necessary.

You are now free to add/drop players as you please.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/09/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree that most leagues are won by superstars, I would say that in this case, there is a lot of parity among all the top picks. For me, the clear #1 this year was Stewie and when she got injured then there were easily 5 players who could have gone #1. So in a way it will depend on who lives up to / or exceeds their billing. And with the kind of scoring we're looking at, the differences between the top players are really pretty incremental. Only Erimus has thus far been screwed by having his/her #1 pick get injured, but that too is part of the game. There are always risks no matter how 'solid' a player might look. But I would say that we all can and should expect good performances from our first and second round picks. Which means, I think, that actually rounds 3-5 are the important ones. There are more questions associated with almost every player at those levels.

Considering jspoons position, I thought he drafted great. If Cambage plays (which unfortunately looks less and less likely) he would have a clear #1 pick. I thought it a good bet to make. And he hedged that bet beautifully by taking EWill. She's not in Cambage's class, but is a strong player in her own right. I also thought the way of handling j-spoon joining us was fine.

As far as how the league is run, I think it's kind of fun to look at slightly different rules. I've never played in this kind of league so it's a bit intriguing to see how it goes. It's time-consuming and not easy to be the 'commissioner' so for me, as long as the rules apply equally to all participants, I don't care if they seem a bit bizarre...which IMO these generally don't. The waiver rules seem strange/complicated to me but I don't think they're unfair and once I see them in action perhaps they won't seem so strange.

My only thought/input for next year would be that I think around 80 players drafted is the right number for a 12 team league like the W...so if you have 10 fantasizers, only draft 8. If you have 8 fantasizers, draft 10 each. That leaves a much bigger pool to play with/choose from as the year goes on and means that perhaps you can also allow one IR player. JMO.

Thanks for taking on this task. and good luck everybody, hope we all have fun as the season plays itself out.

- Amanda Gorman
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/09/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
My only thought/input for next year would be that I think around 80 players drafted is the right number for a 12 team league like the W...so if you have 10 fantasizers, only draft 8. If you have 8 fantasizers, draft 10 each. That leaves a much bigger pool to play with/choose from as the year goes on and means that perhaps you can also allow one IR player. JMO.

I went back and forth over whether 8 should have been the maximum number of teams instead of 10, for the exact reason you mention. I opted to allow as many people in as possible, but maybe there would have been more fun in team management with more on the waiver wire.

Right now, I don't think that 8 players per team would work well, but I've never been in a fantasy basketball league and I really have to see how it works in practice before I know for sure. One thing I do know for sure is that I do not want any I/R. It is a headache, particularly in leagues being run by hand. I'm not going there.

So if that's what people want, we will impose a maxiumum of 8 teams, but I'm not going to kick anybody out if they're welcome back. Roster size in large leagues teams can be something we can also vote on.

Those votes will take place after this league concludes. I'm sure most of us will have suggestions for the future and a clearer idea of what we want when we see how it works this year.

tbinta

PostPosted: 05/09/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was in a “by hand” league past couple years and commish made it:

6 players per tm (G,G,F,F,C,U) with 12 teams (72 player universe)
1 add drop for season, by particular date
Trade as much as you want up until particular date

Worked out pretty well and he said this setup made his work a lot easier

PostPosted: 05/09/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The starting rosters:

adamj95 - Elena Delle Donne, F-G, WASH
adamj95 - Chiney Ogwumike, F-C, MIN
adamj95 - Sue Bird, G, SEA
adamj95 - Latoya Sanders, F-C, WASH
adamj95 - Jackie Young, G, LV
adamj95 - Damiris Dantas, F, MIN
adamj95 - Briann January, G, PHOE
adamj95 - Dearica Hamby, F, LV
adamj95 - Jantel Lavender, F-C, LA
adamj95 - Lexie Brown, G, MIN

Admiral Needa - Candace Parker, C-F, LA
Admiral Needa - Kayla McBride, G, LV
Admiral Needa - Teaira McCown, C, IND
Admiral Needa - Jonquel Jones, F, CONN
Admiral Needa - Arike Ogunbowale, G, DALL
Admiral Needa - Kia Nurse, G, NY
Admiral Needa - Karima Christmas-Kelly, F, MIN
Admiral Needa - Danielle Robinson, G, MIN
Admiral Needa - Isabelle Harrison, F, LV
Admiral Needa - Han Xu, C, NY

calbearman76 - Sylvia Fowles, C, MIN
calbearman76 - Jewell Loyd, G, SEA
calbearman76 - Cheyenne Parker, F, CHI
calbearman76 - Courtney Williams, G, CONN
calbearman76 - Gabby Williams, F, CHI
calbearman76 - Seimone Augustus, G, MIN
calbearman76 - Katie Lou Samuelson, G-F, CHI
calbearman76 - Rebekkah Brunson, F, MIN
calbearman76 - Sancho Lyttle, F,PHOE
calbearman76 - Alaina Coates, C, CHI

Erimus - Diana Taurasi, G, PHOE
Erimus - Nneka Ogwumike, F, LA
Erimus - Asia Durr, G, NY
Erimus - Kalani Brown, C, LA
Erimus - Brittney Sykes, G, ATL
Erimus - Alanna Smith, F, PHOE
Erimus - Brittany Boyd, G, NY
Erimus - Temi Fagbenie, C, MIN
Erimus - Morgan Tuck, F, CONN
Erimus - Marine Johannes, G, NY

hoopmom - Natasha Howard, F, SEA
hoopmom - Chelsea Gray, G, LA
hoopmom - Candace Dupree, F, IND
hoopmom - Kelsey Mitchell, G, IND
hoopmom - Maria Vadeeva, F-C, LA
hoopmom - Odyssey Sims, G, MIN
hoopmom - Theresa Plaisance, F-C, DALL
hoopmom - Tamera Young, F, LV
hoopmom - Tayler Hill, G, DALL
hoopmom - Essence Carson, G, PHOE

J-Spoon - Liz Cambage, C, DALL
J-Spoon - Diamond Deshields, G, CHI
J-Spoon - Elizabeth Williams, F-C, ATL
J-Spoon - Kelsey Plum, G, LV
J-Spoon - Alysha Clark, F SEA
J-Spoon - Kiah Stokes, C, NY
J-Spoon - Tiffany Mitchell, G, IND
J-Spoon - Shekinna Stricklen, GF, CONN
J-Spoon - Moriah Jefferson, G, LV
J-Spoon - Kaela Davis, GF, DALL

mojo/myrtle - Brittney Griner, C, PHOE
mojo/myrtle - Emma Meesseman, F, WASH
mojo/myrtle - Jasmine Thomas, G, CONN
mojo/myrtle - Allie Quigley, G, CHI
mojo/myrtle - Kayla Thornton, F, DALL
mojo/myrtle - Skylar Diggins-Smith, G, DALL
mojo/myrtle - Angel McCoughtry, G-F, ATL
mojo/myrtle - Shenise Johnson, G, IND
mojo/myrtle - Nia Coffey, F, ATL
mojo/myrtle - Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, GF, LA

NYSports56 - A'ja Wilson, C, LV
NYSports56 - Tiffany Hayes, G, ATL
NYSports56 - Jessica Breland, F, ATL
NYSports56 - Azura Stevens, F-C, DALL
NYSports56 - Ariel Atkins, G, WASH
NYSports56 - Nepheesa Collier, F, MIN
NYSports56 - Natalie Achonwa, C, IND
NYSports56 - Bria Hartley, G, NY
NYSports56 - Erica Wheeler, G, IND
NYSports56 - Stephanie Talbot, F, PHOE

toad455 - Tina Charles, C, NY
toad455 - Dewanna Bonner, F, PHOE
toad455 - Renee Montgomery, G, ATL
toad455 - Kristi Toliver, G, WASH
toad455 - Crystal Langhorne, F-C, SEA
toad455 - Kristine Anigwe, FC, CONN
toad455 - Alana Beard, G-F, LA
toad455 - Monique Billings, F, ATL
toad455 - Layshia Clarendon, G, CONN
toad455 - Sami Whitcomb, GF, SEA

WNBA 09 - Courtney Vandersloot, G, CHI
WNBA 09 - Alyssa Thomas, F, CONN
WNBA 09 - Natasha Cloud, G, WASH
WNBA 09 - Glory Johnson, F, DALL
WNBA 09 - Stephanie Dolson, C, CHI
WNBA 09 - Allisha Gray, G, DALL
WNBA 09 - Alex Bentley, G, ATL
WNBA 09 - Amanda Zahui B, C, NY
WNBA 09 - Aerial Powers, F, WASH
WNBA 09 - JiSu Park, C, LV

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/10/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I went back and forth over whether 8 should have been the maximum number of teams instead of 10, for the exact reason you mention. I opted to allow as many people in as possible, but maybe there would have been more fun in team management with more on the waiver wire.

Right now, I don't think that 8 players per team would work well, but I've never been in a fantasy basketball league and I really have to see how it works in practice before I know for sure. One thing I do know for sure is that I do not want any I/R. It is a headache, particularly in leagues being run by hand. I'm not going there.

So if that's what people want, we will impose a maxiumum of 8 teams, but I'm not going to kick anybody out if they're welcome back. Roster size in large leagues teams can be something we can also vote on.

Those votes will take place after this league concludes. I'm sure most of us will have suggestions for the future and a clearer idea of what we want when we see how it works this year.

Agreeing with 8 teams, 80 drafted players for a league. Also agreeing with the concept of not denying if a person wants to have a team. Not in favor of, but adjusting to the idea of teams added after the draft starts (due to your validation of draft order numbers being equal determining Jspoon drafts). So, if the league grows next year, in order to accommodate growth, suggesting to consider two parallel leagues if there are as many as 12 to 16 teams. If that is too much to take on, two commissioners, same rules. And a championship game between leagues.

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/10/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been away on a writing retreat. Thanks to myrtle for making the last selection and good luck to everyone.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi, I made a small procedural change to the way we set our lineups here in the thread. I got rid of the "default lineup" idea. It's cumbersome and not really useful. Now it's this simple:

At the start of the week, teams should post their lineup. If they don't, the lineup from the previous week will be used.

The lineup can still be changed after you post it (as specified in the rules).

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing the rules haven't covered yet: what happens when I make a mistake in recording game results? There is no doubt that there will be a few typos as I enter in the information (I'm writing some software to assist in running the league).

This is what I propose. Feel free to comment.

If there is an error in the regular season, you have until the following week ends to report the error. So, for Week 1, I will be posting final results on Monday the 27th or somewhere very near. If there is an error, you can report it until Week 2 ends on May 3rd, and the correction will take effect retroactively. After that, it is too late to correct the error.

In the post season (or the final week of the regular season), it is more important to resolve things quickly. You can only report errors before the current week ends. I will try to post results faster than normal, and it might help if players calculated and posted their own scores these weeks to double check.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/13/19 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, sure is quiet. I've been working on the software that will run the league, and it's just about ready to go.

When you make a duplicate post, or a post by mistake, and you'd like it deleted, what is the proper thing to do? I thought you were supposed to change the text to "(bump)" but it occurs to me that might be what people do to get the thread to the top of the page. Anybody know the proper RebKell protocall for getting rid of a post (this was originally a post by mistake before I edited it)?

hoopmom

PostPosted: 05/13/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to drop Theresa Plaisance and add Marie Gulich. Marie looks like she will be more fun to watch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 20 of 43

Jump to: