New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/10/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Joe Tsai, The New York Liberty And The Growth Mindset At Barclays Center
Quote:
Perhaps it should come as no surprise that Tsai sounds fundamentally different than Jim Dolan, who owned the Liberty from the franchise's start until selling the team to Tsai earlier this year. After all, Dolan had put the team on the block long before that, and wanted to make a public case for why he wasn't a bad guy for selling, rather than advocate for the team itself.
But his language of loss is echoed often by those in the league front office, in the midst of a negotiation over the CBA. It's simply not helpful at best, potentially hurts the league's efforts to grow to focus on hasn't worked instead of redoubling efforts into what has. And it's not the way Tsai is approaching it.

"Barclays Center, I think, is a perfect venue for the New York Liberty"

It looks like the lower bowl of the Barclays holds around 9k. If the Liberty can get 7,500-8,000 a night there next season they'll be in good shape.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slow start but we picked it up in the 2nd half, 89 points is what I like to see! Let’s see if we can sustain it against WNBA teams.
Super happy with our draft picks this year.

Han Xu, impressive touch and a smart player. Her height will help alter some shots but hopefully she continues to strength train and not get pushed so deep under the basket on the defensive end.

Asia Durr, rookie nerves for sure but she settled down. A couple of bad plays defensively but showed her crafty offensive game. Could have easily been 12 points instead of 6.

Megan Huff, I love her hustle and energy. Offensive boards, blocked shots, 3pt game...wouldn’t mind her as our 12th player until Johannes shows up, even if that means 6 post players. Maybe experiment with Nayo at the 3.

Avery Warley-Talbert-Talbert, love her knack for the ball, always seems to be in the play for offensive and defensive boards. Wish we had room for her toughness but I prefer Nayo who similarly impacts the game with her rebounding, but has a better offensive skill set.

Bias and Cuevas-Moore, I love them both! Wish we had room for them...also wouldn’t mind either sticking as that 12th player. Pesky defenders and quick.

Faris is smart and hustles, always in the right spot. But I wish she could develop her offensive game so she can earn a place on a roster in this league.

Morgan and Caldwell should be first cuts. I like their stories and wish them well, just not sure it will happen in the W.

Boyd was Boyd, pushed the pace, had some nice passes but also some forced ones. I liked the pull-up jumper I saw early and hope she keeps taking it.

Charles almost fouling out, lol but her offense still working fine. I miss her elite rebounding though.

Nurse attacked the basket effectively. She hits her free throws so hopefully she can draw contact like she did and earn some points from the stripe. Adding a mid range jumper could make her special.

Allen had a nice and 1, but her jumpers were rushed aside from the missed 3 that rimmed out. I want her to keep shooting but it seems like the wrong spots for her.

Wright doesn’t seem the same to me. I saw some of the vocal leadership, but she seems to have lost some energy and passion. It almost seemed like she isn’t happy to be back. Really don’t want her playing a lot of minutes, she’s still got good defense so that’s fine but please Katie keep her play time limited.

Overall super happy with our players, not expecting playoffs but more competitive than last year! Develop our young players please!

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks bluedevilaztecfan5 for sharing your thoughts on all the players. I didn't see the game (is there going to be a way I can watch the Liberty this year?), so I really appreciate the observations. I am really looking forward to seeing our rookies.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to the new "Links" sticky on top of the forum, I was checking out basketball-reference.com, and made the following observations when looking at the page for Kiah Stokes:

1) Kiah's minutes have gone down every season.
2) Her stats "per 36 minutes" have not, with the exception of last year (and even then only slightly).

I can't figure out how to cut and paste it meaningfully here, but here are some highlights per 36 minutes:

Blocked most shots (2.8 ) in her rookie year
Scored most points (10.4) in her second season
Most rebounds (11.6) and most assists (1.6) in third season
Only had 9.1 rebounds rookie year, over 11 rebounds every other season

Last season only showed a reduction in blocked shots (1.6), and the worst point total (7.8, although rookie season was only 8.2). However, the other stats are all comparable and it was her second best rebounding year (11.3).

That's what the stats say. It's not really what my eyes say, but it's interesting nonetheless.

You can see the stats complete here:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/s/stokeki01w.html

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/11/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
1) Kiah's minutes have gone down every season.
2) Her stats "per 36 minutes" have not, with the exception of last year (and even then only slightly).

I can't figure out how to cut and paste it meaningfully here, but here are some highlights per 36 minutes:

Blocked most shots (2.8 ) in her rookie year
Scored most points (10.4) in her second season
Most rebounds (11.6) and most assists (1.6) in third season
Only had 9.1 rebounds rookie year, over 11 rebounds every other season

Last season only showed a reduction in blocked shots (1.6), and the worst point total (7.8, although rookie season was only 8.2). However, the other stats are all comparable and it was her second best rebounding year (11.3).

My pleasure, thanks for reading through it all! I typically buy the League Pass to watch the Liberty games (and some other teams too).
You can try to download the ESPN app on your phone to watch this preseason game that was on ESPN news (I don’t have any special subscription with ESPN, and I do have Cox but no channels or TV package lol so I don’t know if everyone who has the app can view the replay or I got lucky).

As for Stokes, thank you for sharing the per 36 stats...that’s really interesting. I agree that visually she just didn’t seem like the same player as before, whether conditioning, fatigue, or injury she just seemed slower, out of breathe, less athletic.
I hope she can rebound this season and really bring back that shot blocking presence and ability to get after those boards. We really need it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/11/19 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

W.N.B.A. Rookie Han Xu Brings Hope for a Deeper Connection to China

Quote:
It may also seem like no accident that Han was drafted by the Liberty, who in January were bought by Tsai, one of the founders of the Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group. But Tsai, who is also among the owners of the Nets, said Wednesday: “I didn’t make any of this happen. I’m just sort of plopped into the middle of this.”

Quote:
After Charles’s team eliminated Han’s in the Chinese league playoffs in February, Charles told Han’s agent that she would like for the two to train together some day. Now they will be teammates on the Liberty, who were 7-27 last year in the midst of an unsteady ownership situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/10/sports/basketball/wnba-china-liberty-han-xu.html?fbclid=IwAR0k5blXeqzbdODOt6cSHqZs1BhS2Kjp5zNvtaWG19c5LWyOVsEMuBVtndM

Last edited by root_thing on 05/11/19 12:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/11/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I didn't see the game (is there going to be a way I can watch the Liberty this year?)

Last season, MSG blocked the Liberty games from League Pass. You could watch the archive afterward, but you couldn't watch live games. I ended up using the dodgy links on the internet.

Thursday's preseason game is now on YouTube. Here's the link:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z5-3Ovq5WhU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Regarding Stokes, the advanced statistics indicate that Kiah rebounds at an elite rate and continues to be a good shotblocker. For whatever reason, the stats are slightly different between WNBA.com and Basketball Reference. Using BR, Stokes is 4th in rebounding percentage and 11th in blocks percentage, while on WNBA.com she is 6th in rebounding percentage and 10th in blocks percentage. Liz Cambage is the only player in the top ten in both categories for both sources. Kiah and Cheyenne Parker are the only other players in the top 11 for both categories and both sources. So yes, for rebounding and blocks, Kiah's rates are still very good. Her totals are down because of her minutes. Why her minutes are down is a whole different discussion.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
I didn't see the game (is there going to be a way I can watch the Liberty this year?)

Last season, MSG blocked the Liberty games from League Pass. You could watch the archive afterward, but you couldn't watch live games. I ended up using the dodgy links on the internet.

Is MSG going to broadcast the games this year?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Doubtful since Dolan doesn't own the team. Nets games are broadcast on the YES Network, but they also televise Yankees games. So I wonder how many games we'll see televised and on what network.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Doubtful since Dolan doesn't own the team. Nets games are broadcast on the YES Network, but they also televise Yankees games. So I wonder how many games we'll see televised and on what network.

You think they'll let us know before the season starts?

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

You think they'll let us know before the season starts?

Probably at the last minute.

My original point was that any cable network is likely to block League Pass in their broadcast area whether it's MSG, YES or ESPN on a national basis. They want to incentivze you to buy their service or attend games. Otherwise, lots of people would just pay a measily $17 and watch games all season on League Pass.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is League Pass on cable, internet, or both?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I have a friend who works at MSG. My understanding based on what he told me is that MSG will not be broadcasting games.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

League pass is Internet.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

It's on WNBA.com, top row menu options on the right (between Tickets and More). It's not working yet. They're making us wait until May 20th to sign up, which is dumb but I suppose it doesn't matter since there won't be games until May 24th.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tv is why game on 24th got moved to 8 instead of 730 apparently so guess something but def not msgn was told that as well

PostPosted: 05/11/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Happycappie25"]Tv is why game on 24th got moved to 8 instead of 730 apparently so guess something but def not msgn was told that as well[/quote

Of course MSG is not going to televise Liberty games !

What do you think MSG stands for
Think of where we used to play...

Rolling Eyes

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSG broadcasts Islanders and Devils games. I was hoping they'd keep on doing it with the Liberty.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I highly doubt MSG will be involved in the Liberty in anyway shape or form anymore.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only question is whether there's a contract that runs through this season

PostPosted: 05/11/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think not since we are not using MSG training or housing
I dont see the new management giving money to Jim Dolan

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/11/19 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps it should come as no surprise that Tsai sounds fundamentally different than Jim Dolan, who owned the Liberty from the franchise's start until selling the team to Tsai earlier this year. After all, Dolan had put the team on the block long before that, and wanted to make a public case for why he wasn't a bad guy for selling, rather than advocate for the team itself.
But his language of loss is echoed often by those in the league front office, in the midst of a negotiation over the CBA. It's simply not helpful at best, potentially hurts the league's efforts to grow to focus on hasn't worked instead of redoubling efforts into what has. And it's not the way Tsai is approaching it.

It looks like the lower bowl of the Barclays holds around 9k. If the Liberty can get 7,500-8,000 a night there next season they'll be in good shape.

Still packing the house at Barclays on the 11th but damn I love Joe such a breath of fresh air I hope we can get him to buy Barclays by 2020 and either way sounds like we're done with Westchester even if there's multiple arenas

But yes #hellobrooklyn2020 make it happen Joe!!!!

PostPosted: 05/11/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at some Stokes game logs with Fenerbahce, there's a lot of double/double performances featuring high FG percentages. I'm not expecting her to turn into Rebeccah Brunson but I'd happily take the Stokes we saw in 2016 prior to her late-season injury.

Especially now with the additions of Han and most likely Nayo, it gives our post players so much more flexibility than before. Han isn't going to be ready for prime time minutes, but she will certainly be a nice option if you need more offense or if the lack of height on the floor is a problem. Nayo is a nice energy player and a very good offensive rebounder...an area the Libs weren't good in last year at all. If Stokes plays the role she once did, then it appears that the other pieces can be nice complementary pieces. I'll also be hoping that Han will be ready for bigger minutes later in the season, but even if she isn't, having Stokes to stabilize the overall group would allow the others to all be proper complementary pieces in a variety of situational needs. If Stokes can't do that, then the possibility exists that one of the other posts will be asked to do more than they are capable of. Time will tell. At the very least, the additions for 2019 are intriguing in terms of the variety of skills they potentially bring. In itself, that's a start.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

Still packing the house at Barclays on the 11th but damn I love Joe such a breath of fresh air I hope we can get him to buy Barclays by 2020 and either way sounds like we're done with Westchester even if there's multiple arenas

But yes #hellobrooklyn2020 make it happen Joe!!!!

So does "multiple arenas" mean NASSAU where season ticket holders CANT
get to ? THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE !

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're doing a RebKell fantasy league, and the draft has been completed. I thought I'd post the Liberty players drafted for your amusement/comments:

Tina Charles (1st round, toad455)
Asia Durr (3rd round, Erimus)
Kia Nurse (6th round, Admiral Needa)
Kiah Stokes (6th round, J-Spoon)
Brittany Boyd (7th round, Erimus)
Amanda Zahui B (8th round, WNBA 09)
Bria Hartley (8th round, NYSports56)
Marine Johannes (10th round, Erimus)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 51 of 91

Jump to: