Bonner looks like a bruiser compared to Han Xu. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Her counterpart Li Yeru putting in work. Shes a big bruiser! Shocked

Bonner looks like a bruiser compared to Han Xu. Wink
Laughing Laughing Tread lightly you know some get offended when the words weight & Bonner are in the same sentence Laughing

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, that was fun!

- Amanda Gorman
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So glad that the Libs got the W! It's fun seeing games this early and getting a chance to check out the chemistry and the rookies. I hope they plan on televising more preseason matchups! Apparently Washington and Minny had a scrimmage today. How i wish we could've seen that!

Shades

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
So glad that the Libs got the W! It's fun seeing games this early and getting a chance to check out the chemistry and the rookies. I hope they plan on televising more preseason matchups! Apparently Washington and Minny had a scrimmage today. How i wish we could've seen that!

Televise a scrimmage? There wasn't even a crowd.

They're not televising the preseason game tomorrow either.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My early impressions:

- Han looks really good on offense. However, not surprisingly, she gets pushed around and will struggle to rebound.

- Durr looked nervous early, but she played better after making that first bank shot basket.

- Huff is spunky, but she'll need to make more shots to beat out Nayo

- I thought Cuevas-Moore played really well. That +17 was no fluke. She got lots of loose balls to fuel the Liberty run and she didn't have any turnovers.

- Faris hustled but otherwise looked terrible.

- Wright made a couple of good defensive plays before she left, but was horrible before that. I'm not even talking about physical play. Tanisha threw a number of passes up for grabs. At one point, she dribbled around trying to beat her man. When she couldn't, Wright tossed up a one-handed scoop shot from ten feet away. For someone brought back to provide leadership, she sure made a lot of dumb plays.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wright did give a spark in the third quarter. I thought her intensity energized the team. That’s what she’s here for. First half was not good but she’s getting used to new personnel herself.

Han was better than I thought she’d be. Nice footwork and agility. But rail thin for sure. Def want to see her against WNBA competition but I feel like there will be a role for her in certain situations and matchups.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you ESPN for showing this game Razz

Han Xu played really well! Though a lot of her points were easy, especially those against China #15 (who's just tall - in fact China has 2 obviously better centers and 2 maybe better centers excluding Li & Han, not sure what the coach sees in her), this is a terrific start! Probably better than anyone expected. Hopefully she'll still get minutes in more meaningful games.

Li Yueru had a decent game but needs to cut down turnovers against faster hands, high-fliers and tougher defense. Some of them were offensive fouls, and she did get the occasional double-team treatment. She's still young, got two more years to improve for the WNBA. But Han seems more ready for this game.

China got killed on rebounds - especially in the 2nd half. (This isn't a surprise if you know anything about Asian/Asian-American basketball - men or women) Missing Han and Sun Mengran does not help; but at least this isn't a confidence-shattering loss. Some players are quite young (Li Yueru- 20, Li Yuan- 19, Zhang Ru 20, there's also an 18-year-old on the bench who DNP). China will now travel to other American cities and play 4 other WNBA teams, all closed-door scrimmages I believe.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crowd was good lots of old faces good to see for the 11th

Were promoting he'll out of 11th good sign...joe tsai looked really pleased

Teams not great but I can see in 2 years durr and ham turning into that but if we miss out abd get one more high pick i thibk that would be a huge help

Avery looked good no chance but loved her hustle always respected her

Wasn't as high on cuevas but I'll give her the CT series

Faris is shot.

Id rather keep avery as the hustle leader get than Wright but impossible 😐 wright also looked shot

Tina doesn't bug me as much but durr and nurse must step up and be consistent 10ppg players

Han had some blushworthy moves on offense she'll be fine....in 3 years watch out if she stays in the w they got a steal I was wrong...but gotta keep her

Boyd will be Boyd Allen will be allen gotta tone down the expectations nice players but no stars if you can get better by all means

Bringing back Prince or vaugn would be. Grave mistake especially Prince let this be durrs backcourt

Not expecting much this year but you DEVELOP this young talent you will win in 2020...in Barclays

August 11th

All hands on deck

Past

Present and future

They need it...way they configured it it can turn into the stick east nuff said

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most impressive were Han & Cuevas-Moore. Nurse looks like she's improved. Warley-Talber looks improved as well, but should still be a longshot. Faris, Morgan & Caldwell are the first cuts. Will be interesting to see how we look come Monday at Mohegan Sun.

Attendance was 4,115. Was hoping for more but then again it was a preseason game and it wasn't against another WNBA team. I do see Tsai & the Liberty hosting the Chinese National team in the preseason for some time now. There was a decent amount of Chinese fans in attendance. If that 4,115 is half of what the lower bowl holds, getting 8,000+ in the regular season seems very doable. My first visit to the Barclays and it is a beautiful arena. Smaller than MSG, but I felt closer to the game than at MSG. The arena was built for basketball.

I also wonder how this game got televised. It is likely the first WNBA preseason game televised. Did Tsai pull some strings? There was a ton of press at the game tonight.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like Cuevas-Moore. I think she’s going to stick in the league.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other notes I thought Nurse made strides with the left hand. Re: Tina I think her days as a top ten WNBA rebounder may be over.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't take that comment about Prince and Vaughn too seriously. They have the same agent, and that's who Lobo was quoting. If no one wants your clients, it's pretty convenient to say that they're voluntarily resting.

Regarding the televised game, they were promoting Han throughout the telecast. Tsai could be behind this, but I'm willing to bet the NBA is pushing too. That's the whole point of these NBA Academies -- to promote the game in potential growth areas. There are 7 around the world, and 3 are in China. ESPN stands to profit too if the Chinese players bring in viewership from overseas. Where there's a huge market and a potential way to access it, you can bet lots of business people will be interested.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember seeing the 6'9" Brittney Griner in person when she was 19 in UC Berkeley, and Han Xu's offense seems much better. Idea

Defense, they're about the same. Both needed to get stronger. Again, she's only 19. Exclamation

Future seems bright. Han Dynasty. Cool

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han is Solo!

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I remember seeing the 6'9" Brittney Griner in person when she was 19 in UC Berkeley, and Han Xu's offense seems much better. Idea

Defense, they're about the same. Both needed to get stronger. Again, she's only 19. Exclamation

Future seems bright. Han Dynasty. Cool

Good points. Agreed on her future being very bright and on the offense aspect. She really only needs more strength and pro experience.

Another note, I would guess if I had to that Han knows the playbook cold. There was no point that she appeared to be in the wrong place or slowed down the offense as a result of her presence. Winning personality too. I feel very fortunate that we got her at 14.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was very impressed with her play tonight...as were the other Liberty
fans at Barclays Center. Could be the steal of the daft
Brings to mind that old saying "you cant teach height!"

Good Vibes at our new Home for 2020 !

bballgrl

PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I certainly hope she makes the roster! I have watched her play for years at South Carolina. If the Liberty don't sign her it will be a big mistake. She is fast, a great 3pt shooter, a good defender etc. not to mention she is from New York. I also believe if she had gotten the ball a little more during the game she probably would have made a 3pt basket or 2. When she is open on the 3pt game she is something.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/10/19 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han seemed to have good mobility for someone her height. She bowed to the crowd when she came out of the game for good. I guess she was getting some good applause.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/10/19 5:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Televise a scrimmage? There wasn't even a crowd.

They're not televising the preseason game tomorrow either.

Yeah, not surprising that they're not showing the game tmr. I just got excited hoping that they'd turned the corner and realized that we'd love to see these preseason matchups.

I definitely agree about Cuevas-Moore. She looked good and confident out there! I really hope they pick her up! Nurse was doing Nurse things, Bias had dine nice moments and Durr looked better as the game went on. Han looked good and pretty mobile (nice J off the pick and roll) but will definitely need some strength. Anyone think they'll keep Warley-Talbert? I always love her toughness but fear she'll be released once other bigs are back and ready to go. The surprise of the day was Tina almost fouling out! Lol! Jk!

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/10/19 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what I like:

Cuevas-Moore; i have been seeing this all senior year, being disruptive guarding on-ball defender causing havoc

if she can hit those open shots during the next couple of pre-season games she will have a chance. i want either Tiffany Bias or Cuevas-Moore to make the team. both are small but scrappy guards that we need.

Han Xu; i was in doubt with this pick, i thought we should of got A. Howard or gustafson but i am wrong. watching her for the first time i see why they drafted her at 14. she's only 19 and has all tools to be great. could be the steal of the draft

what i don't like:

Durr's Defense. not worried bout her offensive game, she will be fine but her D is what concerns me alot...that was bad, so bad you might see alot of T.Wright in the games during the regular season and we don't want to see that lol Katie is gonna play Wright, the question is...how much?

overall good start for Libs can't wait for the next one

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Cuevas-Moore is a very good player who played in a very bad system for guards in college. For as great of a PG Dawn Staley was, she can't develop guards.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warley-Talbert only makes the team if Raincock is a bust when she shows up. Right now that filler guard would be Cuevas-Moore until Hartley returns.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Warley-Talbert only makes the team if Raincock is a bust when she shows up. Right now that filler guard would be Cuevas-Moore until Hartley returns.

Id like to see agler give AWT a look if NY does cut her . She gives me Rebecca Brunson vibes well a poor mans version at least.

PostPosted: 05/10/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AWT could always rebound, but that's pretty much all she does. If you're looking for a one-dimensional rebounder, Krystal Thomas is the better player. She's bigger and has twice finished in the WNBA top ten in rebounding when given starter-ish minutes. Just two seasons ago, Krystal was third in the league with 9.6 rpg. It puzzles me that she's unemployed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: