Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/12/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Id say so does Riquana Williams or Jameirra Faulkner

Faulkner was hardly a HS recruit or freshman in the "superstar potential" group like Joyner or Odom. She was a top 70ish recruit who wasn't heavily recruited and played at a not-particularly-relevant mid-major. She is a story of developing nicely overtime, not of having development stall out.

Williams also doesn't fit. She was not a major recruit and really blossomed at Miami. She was a major player by her senior year - not someone who hadn't developed. She had weaknesses, sure, but she pretty much as those same weaknesses now as a veteran player.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/12/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Duke's Leaonna Odom was a top ten player coming out of high school who has not developed or reached her potential under Joanne P. McCallie.

I expect her to be a steal for the 2020 draft, as she will become a much better pro with the right coaching.

I agree with this 110%. I also want to bring up Joyner Holmes. During her freshman year, I thought she was a sure thing 1st team All-American and potential NPOY in her senior year. I know she's been through some things and had injuries, but if this doesn't expose Aston as a great recruiter/horrendous coach, I don't know what will. I think in the right system with the right coach she could be a STEAL in the 3rd round.

But, what are the examples of players like that who have huge potential bu don't develop in college and then do develop in the pros. I am sure they are there, but I am having trouble coming up with them.

In terms of Duke players who had huge potential (and were ranked very high in HS, did not develop in college, and later developed in the pros):

--- Karima Christmas-Kelly
--- Krystal Thomas

bballnut901

PostPosted: 04/13/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adding in:
Ariel Atkins-much better as a pro than what we saw in college

Charde Houston-spent 4 years in Geno's doghouse only to become an Allstar

Natasha Howard-good but underwhelming collegiate player who really blossomed last season

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/19 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not even sure what’s being argued here, but Charde Houston was an All Star once the same year Anosike was. It was definitely a down year for All Stars.

Natasha Howard was “underwhelming” enough to be the 5th pick in the 2014 draft.

As far as players who were irrelevant at draft time but returned years later to become solid WNBA contributors, a few recent examples are Erica Wheeler, Kayla Thornton, and Yvonne Turner.

Asia Taylor is trying and we’ll see about Haley Peters.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/13/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m not even sure what’s being argued here, but Charde Houston was an All Star once the same year Anosike was. It was definitely a down year for All Stars.

Natasha Howard was “underwhelming” enough to be the 5th pick in the 2014 draft.

As far as players who were irrelevant at draft time but returned years later to become solid WNBA contributors, a few recent examples are Erica Wheeler, Kayla Thornton, and Yvonne Turner.

Asia Taylor is trying and we’ll see about Haley Peters.

Allie Quigley is a great example as well. And probably of all those people the greatest contributor.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quigley got drafted and bounced around from team to team for a while. I wouldn’t call her completely irrelevant like my first examples.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/13/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quigley got drafted and bounced around from team to team for a while. I wouldn’t call her completely irrelevant like my first examples.

Correct. I believe Asia Taylor and Haley Peters were drafted as well.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/13/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Houston was in Geno's doghouse because she was a poor defender. After making All-Star that one year, her WNBA career quickly went downhill for the same reason -- poor defender. However, overseas her offense was dominant enough so that she was still a star in spite of her defense.

Howard was clearly a talented player her first three seasons at FSU, but she was inconsistent, foul prone, and soft. That all changed in her senior year.

PostPosted: 04/13/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Duke's Leaonna Odom was a top ten player coming out of high school who has not developed or reached her potential under Joanne P. McCallie.

I expect her to be a steal for the 2020 draft, as she will become a much better pro with the right coaching.

I agree with this 110%. I also want to bring up Joyner Holmes. During her freshman year, I thought she was a sure thing 1st team All-American and potential NPOY in her senior year. I know she's been through some things and had injuries, but if this doesn't expose Aston as a great recruiter/horrendous coach, I don't know what will. I think in the right system with the right coach she could be a STEAL in the 3rd round.

But, what are the examples of players like that who have huge potential bu don't develop in college and then do develop in the pros. I am sure they are there, but I am having trouble coming up with them.

In terms of Duke players who had huge potential (and were ranked very high in HS, did not develop in college, and later developed in the pros):

--- Karima Christmas-Kelly
--- Krystal Thomas

BINGO! Rima was top 20 (I think) and K.Thomas top 10. Based on performance at Duke under JPM, Rima was selected end of 2nd round and KT at end of 3rd round. Karima has had a solid WNBA career and KT stuck around for years due to being at elite post defender, decent rebounder who can pick up garbage points. At Duke, JPM insisted that the team feed the ball into KT, but when she caught the ball, it rarely led to points due to her below average offensive skills. In the WNBA the coaches quickly saw what she did well and put her in schemes where she could help the team enough to keep her as a post off the bench.

JPM is most excellent at showing off player weaknesses and hiding ways they excel.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/19 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Recently reviewing SEA’s roster, Washington grad Whitcomb is another one to add to the list.

Getting the topic back on subject, Chelsea Dungee out of Arkansas is another prospect I really like for the first round. She’s on the slight build side, so it’s hard to say how she’d translate to the next level. But she’s definitely earning a shot.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/15/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:
Adding in:
Ariel Atkins-much better as a pro than what we saw in college

Atkins was a true star in High School. Never approached her potential in college. Now is back on track as a pro.

Totally a victim of four years of Karen Aston crap coaching.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/19 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two authors debate the merits of Laksa staying with USF or moving on. Unique side-by side perspective.
http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/1038283/OPINION-Kitija-Laksas-future-at-USF--Poi

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/30/19 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess we will have to scratch Anna Makurat off the list soon.
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/30/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Looks that way.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/anna-makurat-commits-to-uconn.143345/

PostPosted: 05/05/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Was she going to be on your list of top eligible international players?

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/05/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Was she going to be on your list of top eligible international players?

It's not even close to as strong a class as the last two so she would have been top three on the list if not the top one. Of course there is a ton of time left since Han wasn't really considered draft-worthy at this time last year.
Shades

PostPosted: 05/07/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal and his “talent evaluators” trying to keep up.

2020 WNBA Mock Draft: Sabrina Ionescu leads the way
https://highposthoops.com/2019/05/07/2020-wnba-mock-draft-sabrina-ionescu-leads-the-way/

1. Sabrina Ionescu
2. Lauren Cox
Might have a shot at #1 if she dominates without Brown. Don’t want to pass up a potential MVP candidate.
3. Crystal Dangerfield
Too small for my tastes. I think this is too high unless she’s able to put UConn on her back next season, and there’s been little indication of that happening in her first three years.
4. Beatrice Mompremier
5. Bella Alarie
I’m just happy he figured out which draft she belongs in.
6. Tynice Martin
Didn’t like that she didn’t have the confidence to declare.
7. Mikayla Pivec
Too high considering the players he’s skipped over.
8. Kitija Laksa
Need to know if and where she is playing.
9. Te’a Cooper
She’s got the gifts. Now she needs to get serious about basketball.
10. Ruthy Hebard
I’m not super high on her for the WNBA at this point, but this seems lower than what should be expected. She’s probably Top 6.
11. Joyner Holmes
Quote:
She’s got an ideal coach to help make it so in Karen Aston. And the upside is a Diamond DeShields/Natasha Howard hybrid, the kind of player teams desperately want as we enter the next decade of WNBA play.

Yikes!
12. Tiana Mangakahia

Apparently his crack staff of WNBA evaluators have never heard of Kaila Charles? What a joke!!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/07/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good take. I personally think Cox will be number 1. She is better than this years posts. Brown has yet to even practice in LA Rolling Eyes Cox will be 1 that teams will want as this is a weak draft class.

PostPosted: 05/07/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
2020 WNBA Mock Draft: Sabrina Ionescu leads the way
https://highposthoops.com/2019/05/07/2020-wnba-mock-draft-sabrina-ionescu-leads-the-way/

If you are drafting the best available player with the highest ceiling, then Ionescu is the choice.

Cox has great size for the four and has the range to stretch defenses. Paired with someone like A'ja Wilson in Las Vegas, for example, would be ideal for her.

Thing is, the earlier discussion of top ten/MCDAA players coming out of high school who do not achieve that success in college, but rebound (pun intended) in the pros will have a new addition to the list -- Leaonna Odom (Duke).

Odom, a 6-2 forward, was a consensus top ten player coming out of high school. UConn fans saw flashes of her potential in the Sweet 16, as she regularly attacked off the dribble and pulled up in the mid-range or got to the rack.

Odom, however, is still the same player she was in high school --- long, athletic, ability to create in the mid-range, elevate on the jump shot...and absolutely zero three-point shot to speak of (and basically a 60 percent foul shooter on a good day). She will be a project in the pros, but she has the ability to be an excellent forward at the next level.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/07/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tynice Martin can be very good with another year at WV. That toe injury pulled her back.

Mompremier has a strong chance to improve, but my god she needs to work on finishing. Missing bunnies.

Kaila Charles and Leaonna Odom have to be better pro prospects at this point than Te'a Cooper or Mikayla Pivec, my goodness.

Intrigued by Alarie and what she will do with a new coach at Princeton and a shot at the W.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/07/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Cox tear her ACL?

What are the chances she even plays next year?

Could she redshirt do some grad school and return for another season?

If she barely plays until say late February will that affect her draft stock?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/07/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Didn't Cox tear her ACL?

What are the chances she even plays next year?

Could she redshirt do some grad school and return for another season?

If she barely plays until say late February will that affect her draft stock?

I thought the same thing so went looking. Apparently it turned out to be an MCL sprain and a bone bruise, so no surgery and presumably a shorter recovery time (although nothing I saw gave a return date). So hopefully she'll be playing.

My money would still be on Ionescu as more likely to go first. She might be riskier but her ceiling is through the roof. If you're passing on someone who could be the next Taurasi, you better believe Cox could be the next Lauren Jackson.

PostPosted: 05/07/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I thought the same thing so went looking. Apparently it turned out to be an MCL sprain and a bone bruise, so no surgery and presumably a shorter recovery time (although nothing I saw gave a return date). So hopefully she'll be playing.

Although grade 2 MCL injuries usually heal predictably in 2-4 weeks, it often takes longer for the bone bruise to heal and swelling to subside.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-bone-bruise-is-not-just-a-pain-thing/

Shades

PostPosted: 05/07/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess it wasn’t a huge discussion, but Cox’s prognosis was brought up in the NCAA championship game thread. http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=96240&start=177

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Voepel probably peeked in here and thought, now I gotta try and keep up again. Here’s her Top 12 college players for 2019-2020.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26686505/women-college-basketball-top-12-seniors-2019-20

1. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
2. Lauren Cox, Baylor
3. Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
4. Ruthy Hebard, Oregon
5. Beatrice Mompremier, Miami
6. Kaila Charles, Maryland
7. Kiah Gillespie, Florida State
8. Tynice Martin, West Virginia
9. Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
10. Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse
11. Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
12. Haley Gorecki, Duke

Now this falls more in line with what I was pointing out with Megdal’s picks. He had Hebard too low, Pivec too high, and the big one, she recognizes Charles early on as a first round pick.

I just couldn’t get over the notion that somebody that gets paid to follow women’s basketball can’t recognize Kaila Charles as a first round pick without somebody pointing it out to him. He must be strictly a stats guy and tries to fake watching the games. Because how can anybody that has watched any Maryland game go away thinking that Kaila Charles is not a future WNBA player? Can’t happen. I follow the Big Ten closely, so that probably contributes to my outrage.

I’m the Howard Megdal of Florida St. Haven’t seen them a lot. Don’t know a lot about Gillespie. There hasn’t really been any hype. Is she really worthy of #7?

She leaves Elena Bella Alarie off the list. But that’s not as egregious as leaving Charles off. She kept it all P5. I’ll respect that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 2 of 59

Jump to: