RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Biden Speaking Gaffes Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclair

PostPosted: 08/15/12 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread is a reminder: Crazy controls the dialog if reasonable people aren't wiling to contribute. Cause there's a boatload of (angry) 2008 Crazy here.

PostPosted: 10/02/12 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/02/14185384-biden-says-middle-class-has-been-buried-over-the-last-four-years?

Quote:
Biden argued that the GOP, in contrast, would raise taxes on a middle class that has "been buried over the last four years."

PostPosted: 10/02/12 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/02/14185384-biden-says-middle-class-has-been-buried-over-the-last-four-years?

Quote:
Biden argued that the GOP, in contrast, would raise taxes on a middle class that has "been buried over the last four years."

Obama just needs to do what he did in '08.

Put away Biden. Take out Clinton.

PostPosted: 10/02/12 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Obama just needs to do what he did in '08.

Put away Biden. Take out Clinton.

I think you're wrong. Biden actually is a very good campaigner. Besides, he's using (Bill) Clinton, too.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/biden-says-shylocks-poor-choice-words-172530330--politics.html

Quote:
People would come to him and talk about what was happening at home, in terms of foreclosures, in terms of bad loans that were being these Shylocks that took advantage of these women and men while overseas

PostPosted: 05/02/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I actually like Dick Cheney... I get on with him. I think he's a decent man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8o3eapp4x0

PostPosted: 05/02/19 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

We need another thread for statements like this. Beyond a gaffe.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/02/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It's all relative, no? "Decent" by today's standard....hey, I'd vote for Dick Cheney over Trump, if that was my only choice.

What else ya got? Laughing

PostPosted: 05/03/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't consider repeatedly lying so that you can convince the American public to allow you to bomb the crap out of another country, including untold thousands of soldiers sitting helplessly in the desert, as being decent by the standards of any period. But we are a country that spends a massive amount of money on the military and includes "foreign policy" in US political debates. "Foreign policy" being a euphemism for the "how willing will you be to drop bombs?" portion of the debate.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/04/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't consider repeatedly lying so that you can convince the American public to allow you to......
________________???? ....as being decent by the standards of any period.

1. ....enforce separation of migrant families with children.
2. ....keep American Muslims detained in Djibouti, away from their families cuz they're Muslim
3. ....spend huge $$$ on a "wall" instead of helping homeless American citizens in American cities
4. ....terminate health care for millions, cuz repealing Obamacare is good for your base's polling
5. ....go scot free from facing any consequences for your criminal activities

I agree....that Joe Biden is a TURD for saying Cheney was decent! Laughing

PostPosted: 05/04/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's all relative, no? "Decent" by today's standard....hey, I'd vote for Dick Cheney over Trump, if that was my only choice.

I will say again what I have been saying for more than two years: An unappreciated terrible consequence of Trump regime is that it leads to the rehabilitation of the Bush regime.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/05/19 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

I will say again what I have been saying for more than two years: An unappreciated terrible consequence of Trump regime is that it leads to the rehabilitation of the Bush regime.

I disagree anyway.

Cheney is just as evil as Donald, and significantly more competent. The only saving grace about Donald is that he is so dumb he hasn't done half the evil shit he'd like to do.

W? Yeah, I'd vote for him over Donald. With a decent human being as a VP, (Murkowski maybe) he probably wouldn't be so awful. He's at least done some decent things for people in his career. (Related to human rights.)

But I thought he'd be the worst president of my lifetime.

PostPosted: 05/06/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
I don't consider repeatedly lying so that you can convince the American public to allow you to......
________________???? ....as being decent by the standards of any period.

1. ....enforce separation of migrant families with children.
2. ....keep American Muslims detained in Djibouti, away from their families cuz they're Muslim
3. ....spend huge $$$ on a "wall" instead of helping homeless American citizens in American cities
4. ....terminate health care for millions, cuz repealing Obamacare is good for your base's polling
5. ....go scot free from facing any consequences for your criminal activities

I agree....that Joe Biden is a TURD for saying Cheney was decent! Laughing

I don't think that attacking Trump is a solid defense of Cheney.

Don't see that as being equivalent (or worse as you seem to be suggesting) than mass murder and destroying a country. Just think about sitting in the desert of Iraq forced to protect your country from a bunch of pathological politicians in America, while Colin Powell matter-of-factly tells reporters that the US Air Force is "softening up" Iraqi forces. That is, killing them all with bombs. Their kids will never see them again, unlike the illegal alien kids who will be reunited with their illegal alien parents as soon as some judge hears their unique-to-USA "crime asylum" claim. And the kids are separated because the Clinton administration and some judge decided that was appropriate - illegal alien kids can't stay long term in the same facility with illegal alien adults per a court settlement ("Flores decision").

A wall would help the homeless. Enforcing immigration law at the workplace would help them even more. As would trying to end and reverse job export. Because the Democrats have also embraced it, we forget that exporting jobs (particularly with Infinite Immigration Policy requiring ever more jobs each year) and hiring ILLEGAL workers for ILLEGAL wages and under ILLEGAL working conditions hurts American workers. As far as providing public care for the mentally ill and drug addicted, no president that I can recall has addressed that, even in their campaign rhetoric.

Muslims were not temporarily banned "because they were Muslim", as in it was only due to religious beliefs. There is the issue of the San Bernardino (and Pulse nightclub before implementation) and European massacres.

Whatever criminal activities Trump is guilty of, they don't carry the penalty of war crimes. Cheney would have been tried in The Hague, Netherlands and hung by now had he been on the losing side.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/06/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't consider repeatedly lying so that you can convince the American public to allow you to....as being decent by the standards of any period.

It all comes back around to YOU casting aspersions on Biden cuz he once said Cheney is a 'decent man'. YOU seem to consider "repeatedly lying" as "not decent". By your simple logic, Trump is NOT a "decent man". You're free to admit that. Very simple.

By extension, Trump has called Kim Jong Un and Putin far more favorable things than "decent" men. He's extolled their virtues and sung their praises. Those 2 despots are responsible for more heinous deaths than the Iraqi war. Hence, Trump is FAR more despicable than Biden. Therefore, shame on YOU for casting stones at Biden for whomever he's praised.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
I don't consider repeatedly lying so that you can convince the American public to allow you to....as being decent by the standards of any period.

It all comes back around to YOU casting aspersions on Biden cuz he once said Cheney is a 'decent man'. YOU seem to consider "repeatedly lying" as "not decent". By your simple logic, Trump is NOT a "decent man". You're free to admit that. Very simple.

You cut out my full statement. Cheney didn't just repeatedly lie. He lied so he could commit war crimes. Cheney is more than just a liar.

Have you ever seen me defend Trump's character? Trump used to routinely stiff small business contractors, daring them to sue him for full payment. That's low character.

Biden called a war criminal a decent man. Bringing Trump up doesn't change that. A better way to attempt to defend Biden would be to point out that Cheney/Bush got re-elected after their war crimes and hardly any Americans consider them war criminals to this day. Either one could show up at a sports stadium and get cheers, not boos. Biden could be either showing himself to have the judgement of the vast majority of Americans, or is making a political decision to appear to agree with the majority of people.

Quote:
By extension, Trump has called Kim Jong Un and Putin far more favorable things than "decent" men. He's extolled their virtues and sung their praises. Those 2 despots are responsible for more heinous deaths than the Iraqi war. Hence, Trump is FAR more despicable than Biden. Therefore, shame on YOU for casting stones at Biden for whomever he's praised.

I don't see how Trump flattering Putin or Kim relates to me criticizing Biden. The biblical thing about "not casting the first stone" would be applicable if I had called a war criminal a decent man, like Biden did. I have never called a war criminal a decent man.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/19 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Joe, why do schools in Iowa perform better than those in DC?

"There's less than one percent of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than four of five percent that are minorities. What is in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you're dealing with."

PostPosted: 06/01/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't see how Trump flattering Putin or Kim relates to me criticizing Biden. The biblical thing about "not casting the first stone" would be applicable if I had called a war criminal a decent man, like Biden did. I have never called a war criminal a decent man.
Laughing
Very simple: IF you find Biden worthy of your aspersions re: his calling Cheney a decent man, AND it's in the context of criticizing a presidential rival to Trump, then give Fair Credit to Trump for doing far more egregious things, i.e., praising Kim Jong Un, Putin, White Supremacists, etc.

pilight wrote:
Hey Joe, why do schools in Iowa perform better than those in DC?

"There's less than one percent of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than four of five percent that are minorities. What is in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you're dealing with."

Are you presenting this as a *bad thing*? Cuz it's the simple truth--Iowa sees HUGELY greater advantage in such things as educational quality than most urban settings, given how White Privilege operates.

PostPosted: 06/01/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I guess you do need the second half of the quote, wherein he places the blame squarely on the African American community...

"When you have children coming from dysfunctional homes, when you have children coming from homes where there's no books, where the mother from the time they're born doesn't talk to them - as opposed to the mother in Iowa who's sitting out there and talks to them, the kid starts out with a 300 word larger vocabulary at age three. Half this education gap exists before the kid steps foot in the classroom."

PostPosted: 06/01/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
OK, I guess you do need the second half of the quote, wherein he places the blame squarely on the African American community...

"When you have children coming from dysfunctional homes, when you have children coming from homes where there's no books, where the mother from the time they're born doesn't talk to them - as opposed to the mother in Iowa who's sitting out there and talks to them, the kid starts out with a 300 word larger vocabulary at age three. Half this education gap exists before the kid steps foot in the classroom."

And again....he speaks truth. Maybe less than laying "blame" on the AA community, he's simply identifying where it is most prevalent: in the suppressed socio-economic strata of urban America.

I don't even know if Joe *gets* where and how the blame originates, going back to segregation/redlining/jimcrow/suppression, and if he DID, how does he present this to a White Privileged audience?

PostPosted: 06/01/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I don't even know if Joe *gets* where and how the blame originates, going back to segregation/redlining/jimcrow/suppression, and if he DID, how does he present this to a White Privileged audience?

He said this in Washington, DC

PostPosted: 06/01/19 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, again....it's truth, and truth is relevant in any setting, regardless of its reception, no? Now, if it was a speaking engagement (I didn't see any source), who exactly was his audience?

PostPosted: 06/01/19 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, again....it's truth, and truth is relevant in any setting, regardless of its reception, no? Now, if it was a speaking engagement (I didn't see any source), who exactly was his audience?

Is it?

President Trump was asked today,
"Mr. President, why do think schools in Iowa perform better than those in DC?"

The president answered,

What would your reaction to this statement be? My guess it would not be as forgiving as it is to Biden.

Yes, there is an underlying point Biden was probably trying to make. Yes there is a real issue with racial inequality that allowd predominantly white schools in less disadvantaged areas perform better than predominantly minority populated schools in resource straved urban areas. However, based upon how he phrased it, his statement is in and of itself racist as fuck. Whether he he said it, or Trump said it. Thus major gaffe.

PostPosted: 06/01/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Is it?

President Trump was asked today,
"Mr. President, why do think schools in Iowa perform better than those in DC?"

The president answered,

What would your reaction to this statement be? My guess it would not be as forgiving as it is to Biden.

Yes, there is an underlying point Biden was probably trying to make. Yes there is a real issue with racial inequality that allowd predominantly white schools in less disadvantaged areas perform better than predominantly minority populated schools in resource straved urban areas. However, based upon how he phrased it, his statement is in and of itself racist as fuck. Whether he he said it, or Trump said it. Thus major gaffe.

It's not a gaffe if it's what he actually believes.

I have said before that there is a reason that Biden has failed at multiple presidential campaigns in the past. He won't hold up the scrutiny of a campaign. I just hope his support falls apart in time to not screw up the process.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/01/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
....his statement is in and of itself racist as fuck. Whether he he said it, or Trump said it. Thus major gaffe.

Again, if you see it as a laying of 'BLAME', then perhaps it could be construed as racist. IT'S A MERE STATEMENT OF FACT. It's real, it's true. I certainly could not slam Trump for that statement, either, should he be bright enough for that level of insight.

Is it better, if faced with the question, that he offer some bullshit platitude? How ELSE might one frame an 'acceptable' response, please? I could see invoking insight into the socio-economic disparities that exist between urban and rural settings, but the coincidence of the racial divide is not....well, not a coincidence, is it?

Also, if you considered him racist, how come he's polling so well with African Americans? Shocked

PostPosted: 06/01/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Also, if you considered him racist, how come he's polling so well with African Americans? Shocked

I made no qualification as to whether or not he is racist. I stated his statement was racist as fuck. And it is.

There are predominantly African-American schools that do very well. There are predominantly white schools that are shit. Look at what his statement actually said. Don't read any assumptions into it about his meaning, about what he might have been trying to say, just what he actually said.

He said that the schools in Iowa do better because they don't have African-American students. In other words African-American students are inherently worse than whites. This is not factual, this is not a "hard truth" or a "hard reality" that we need to face, this is a racist generalization.

Hear the difference? He is not addressing any of the ways in which schools have failed minority students, or the failure of resource distribution or socioeconomic pressures. He skips all of the actual causal mechanisms which lead minority heavy school districts to generally perform worse than white ones, and instead breaks it down simply by the color of their skin.

It is like saying, why does Chicago have more crime than Des Moines? Well, they have more African-Americans, of course!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: